Picasso hdi throttle problem - Dave Bumfrey
When driving car monday pm (no problems all morning or previously), the car started losing power if for example you are driving along in 3rd gear 25mph and put your foot down it accelerates to 37-42mph and thenstarts to slow down and if the throttle is kept fully pressed slows down to13mph and will start to kangaroo. If at any time the throttle is totally released and re-applied the car accelerates again??? This could be potentially lethal especially on motorway/dual carriageways as encountered on monday.
Citreon say they have not heard of this before and seem to be having trouble locating the problem, the car was there for 2 hours and they said they were unable to locate the problem here is your car back, sorry we have no loan cars, this is the dealer we purchased the car from 1st March 2001. Anybody heard similar fault with Peugeot Hdi engines??
Re: Picasso hdi throttle problem - D J Woollard
Dave,

My Citroen experience includes loads of the older TDs but no HDis. If this problem were on an older one I would be looking for a diesel system air leak or blockage. Air leaks can be in the fuel lines themselves or commonly at the filter housing. Blockages are often from a badly contaminated filter.

So don't ignore the basics.

Having said that I think your car will have the ECU controlled "Epic" fuel system with "fly by wire" throttle. This means the fault could be electronic in the same way as a similar problem on a petrol car.

The moment they went over to these ECU controls one of the main advantages of the diesel was lost.....simplicity.

David Lacey may have some useful info on this when he sees it.

David
Re: Picasso hdi throttle problem - Andy Bairsto
I had a similar problem with my xm 2.5 td it turned to be the ecu not acitvating the vans soon enough causing a slight overheating which kept vapourising the fuel.The trigger for the fans are connected through the clima and the ecu not a direct I am to hot start the fans system.It took three weeks to find and 20 minutes to fix.
regards Andy Bairsto
Re: Picasso hdi throttle problem - Dave Bumfrey
Hooray, we have lift off, read on this site about problems with brake light switches and guess what my brake lights were on all the time, the brake light switch had moved putting the lights on and telling the computer i was braking, and apparently this tells the computer to cut fuel to idle levels as message string, Nothing New! Bosch EDC 18/07/01 apparently the problem started in 1996 on the Rover 620 Diesel.... but Citreon have never haeard of this problem, what aload of cow manure.Andy Bairsto wrote:
This was a Rover problem back in 1996! - David Lacey
As I stated in my earlier posting reference Bosch EDC/Rover 620 problems back in '96.....

The dealer doesn't sound very switched on or helpful, even more so given the newness of the car.

David W, I agree, it seems even the good ol' reliable diesel engine has been taken over by electronics. Some could rightly view this as a backward step, perhaps.

Oh well, more work for us 'switched on' main dealers......

Going up town tonight for a couple of jars - a long, tiring and frustrating day at work. (Which is not going to get any better tommorrow)

Rgds

David