Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - Direwolf

Advice after failed MOT

I am looking for some advice from anyone who has experience with the MOT process.
In February 2018 I took my Vauxhall Zafira Tourer into my local Vauxhall dealer for an annual service. I was informed by the garage that the front brake pads needed replaced so I duly agreed to have the work carried out.
In May 2018 I took my vehicle to the same dealership for the MOT.
I was telephoned by the service manager who informed me that the car had failed the MOT as the brake pads were dangerously worn.
I was shocked by this and informed him that they had replaced the pads just three months previously. He stated that there must be something wrong and said he would look into it.
A short time later the service manager called me back and stated that the person carrying out the MOT had attached the wrong report.
I was a bit sceptical at this but gave him the benefit of the doubt.
When I picked up the car I was handed the paperwork by the receptionist. As I looked through the paperwork I noticed the MOT Pass certificate at the front but behind this was the Fail document bearing my registration number and stating that the brake pads were dangerously low.
I asked to see the service manager and I showed him the Fail document. He stated that it shouldn't be on there and ripped the form off and took it away.
I gave it no more thought until a couple of days ago when I logged into the government MOT database to see when my MOT is due.
I was horrified to see that the MOT fail for dangerously worn brake pads is on there from 2018.
This leads me to two conclusions.
Either the brake pads had not been replaced in the February, which I paid for and still have the receipt for, or the garage thought that they would try and charge me for new brake pads which I clearly didn't need. If there had been a mistake made , which the service manager alleged , then why was it put through as a fail on the government database?

Perhaps my real question should be "How likely is it for an MOT tester to mix up a vehicles MOT report?" Surely he works with some sort of form where he would record a vehicle's condition before passing or failing a vehicle. I still fail to see how that could be mixed up. That would suggest that the vehicle with the dangerously worn brake pads that my vehicle was allegedly mixed up with could potentially have been issued a Pass certificate.

Edited by Direwolf on 27/01/2020 at 07:11

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - Will deBeast

Occam's razor suggests that the simplest answer is most likely to be correct.

It rather sounds as if you were charged for brake pads that were not changed in Feb 2018, but were hurriedly changed in May.

It's a nice little earner - tell someone their brakes are 80% worn when they're nothing like that bad. Don't bother changing them, and charge them again when they really do need doing.

But after two years, my advice is to move on. Dwelling on the past isn't good for your health. But take your car to a different garage for servicing.

Edited to add: Most of us have been ripped off over something when having our cars serviced. Main dealers can be the worst. I could tell a few stories!

Edited by Will deBeast on 27/01/2020 at 07:47

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - Ian D
Check whether the fail was for rear brake pads, or are the references to fronts throughout?
Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - Direwolf
Check whether the fail was for rear brake pads, or are the references to fronts throughout?

Definitely for the front on both occasions

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - Andrew-T

It's a nice little earner - tell someone their brakes are 80% worn when they're nothing like that bad. Don't bother changing them, and charge them again when they really do need doing.

Most of us have been ripped off over something when having our cars serviced. Main dealers can be the worst. I could tell a few stories!

Reminds me of the first Pug 306 I owned, back around 1998 I guess. Took it to the nearest dealer for (I guess) its first MoT. They assured me it needed both front suspension arms replacing, and showed me the worn ones after the work was done. I doubted that the arms were worn at only 20K miles, and suspected that they wanted to use up some of the stock of spares. Later experience confirms that theory as I have never had any mention of worn arms on any 306, including the 25-year-old one I recently got.

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - edlithgow

Most of us have been ripped off over something when having our cars serviced.

I havn't, but probably only because I don't

First car (auction-bought Triumph 1300) we took it in for a "Free Safety Check" (Big shiny garage in Hunslett Grange, Leeds. Can't remember the name, unfortunately.)

Long List later we asked for it back, but bought some oil off them.

Took a 15 foot scaffolding pole to get the wheels off, but subsequent investigation showed the Long List to be a Long Lie.

A valuable lesson.

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - RaineMan

I feel more of a job creation scheme. Many years ago I left my car for a service and MOT. The bill included replacing the windscreen wipers. The problem was I had a bill for their replacement a few weeks previously). It was explained away as an error. One of many dishonest/incompetent garages I have walked away from in the last twenty years previously doing all my own maintenance and repairs.

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - SLO76
Never let the main dealer Mot your car. The service staff are on commission to upsell you stuff you don’t need and will more often than not fail you for something that simply doesn’t need doing. Obviously not all are the same, my local VW dealer has been very good and I’ve allowed them to test my Zpolo without a problem but our local Honda, Vauxhall, Ford and Citroen dealers are pretty notorious for this. That’s why I wish it was possible for anyone looking at the mot history to see who tested the car as often the advisories are just an attempt at profiteering. Currently you effectively need the V5 to do so.
Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - geoffs

Reminds me of the time in 2018 when at a main Ford dealer I was charged for 4 spark plugs at a service. The service manager was a little lost for words when I asked him where the fourth one went on a three cylinder engine. In the end he refunded me and blamed it on the new apprentice!! Needless to say have never used that garage since.

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - Will deBeast

As a young lad, I took my mini to the local garage for a new track rod end.

It seemed a bit strange when I got it back, but I soon found out why - the alignment was so far out that the car could not go round a large-ish mini roundabout nearby. But could do great left turns. They refused to acknowledge that they'd messed up, and charged me £50 to put it right.

That was when I started doing more of my own maintenance. I progressed from nothing to happily changing engines and gearboxes.

My wife's 2-year old/20,000 Honda apparently needs some new brake pads, according to the dealer on it's recent service. Maybe it does, maybe not. I'll take a wheel off and have a good look. But I'm skeptical.

I don't recall the Toyota dealers I've used ever trying anything underhand. Other people may have had different experiences.

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - RaineMan

Nearly a decade ago I took my car to a newly setup independent. It did not start well as when I prebooked they said they would supply a loan car but it was not available! Some hours later they rang and said we needed to discuss the issues. When I got there I was presented with the longest fail and advisory list I had ever seen. I paid what I owed and took the car away. Before scrapping it I decided to try elsewhere. After one minor repair I had an MOT with two advisories. The following year it sailed through.

Edited by RaineMan on 27/01/2020 at 09:27

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - kiss (keep it simple)

My local indy whom I have used for many years has recently changed owner. Guess what, at the last MOT both of our cars supposedly needed new rear brakes. I took one of the cars into another closer indy for an unrelated matter and asked them kindly to check the brakes at the same time. "Plenty of life left in them". He then proceeded to go through a list of local garages notorious for upselling!

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - mcb100
Most main dealer workshops have some form of provision for sending a video directly from technician to customer, highlighting any concerns (but also showing what doesn’t need doing). Sadly, it’s not used every time. For any trip to a main dealer, always ask if they do videos (good ones will promote the fact), and insist that they send you a video. That way there can be no doubt that work is justified.
Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - pd

Once it goes on the computer it stays on there. So if it recorded a fail and was entered on it will stay there even if immediately corrected with a pass.

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - gordonbennet

Only ever had one car serviced by anyone other than me, that was the Hilux we bought new.

On the 2nd (major) service the Toyota dealer recommended leaving the brake fluid flush due to the low mileage at the time, so i've only seen the opposite to upselling, they were also happy for me to supply my own bulk bought engine oil for services, since changed hands so will be interesting to see what happens if i take it in.

In my kerbside cowboy days i would let people know how much life (judging by their normal usage as i had regulars) was left in friction parts, so they could make the decision if it was debatable, nine times out of ten they told me to do as i saw fit.

A proper mechanic doesn't just measure friction material left, the pads have to come out and any drums off, to inspect the pads or shoes properly, so whilst there might be 4mm pad remaining you won't know how firmly it is still bonded, or if the pad is showing signs of cracking up on its surface, until its removed.

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - barney100

FIL caught a garage out, he liked to rotate his tyres and duly got a bill for the work. He had marked the wheels on the inside with a bit of chalk and behold on picking the car up the marks were where he'd put them.

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - Advice after MOT Fail - Zippy123

Some garages are crooks.

Years ago when still a new driver, my car was misfiring and I took it to the local breakdown co on the way to work.

They looked at it for about 2 minutes and said it would be £200 odd to fix. That was pretty much a months wages and worth more than the car!!!

In desperation, I limped it to a guy I saw operating out of his garage with a sign saying "car repairs".

The job cost £2. A wire had come loose in the distributor. The first garage had had the cap off and must have seen the same issue.

Crooks!