Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - S40 Man

I regularly use a small country road. It's 2 cars wide but has no white line. There are quite a few long straights were you can see it's safe to overtake. This week I was following a car that came to a virtual stop every the time a car passed on the opposite direction, even though there is enough space for 2 cars. I didn't mind slowing down a bit but this seemed excessive, so I thought if it was safe I may overtake. However, as soon as any cars had passed this driver moveda straightway to the centre of the road. This was in essence baulking/defensive driving. I couldn't really do anything so just sat behind. Just seemed a bit mean spirited really. I don't know if they knew where the edges of their car was and just wanted to be in the middle of the road or were doing this on purpose.

Any suggestions?

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - badbusdriver

I come upon this myself from time to time. If there is no white centre line, then (i think) it is classed as a single track road (even though there is enough width for two). If that is the case, then yes, the other driver could 'help' you to get past by moving to the far left, but isn't actually doing anything wrong. You could flash your lights, you could also beep your horn, but that could well be taken the wrong way and result in a road rage type situation!.

You could flash your lights, you could also beep your horn, but that could well be taken the wrong way and result in a road rage type situatiion....

I did think about both those options but wasn't convinced it would achieve much. Nothing bad happened and it probably only cost me 5 or 6 mins if that.

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - galileo

The roads are, unfortunately, infested with incompetent, unaware and plain stupid steering wheel attendants, none of whom are fit to be classed as 'drivers'.

I am thankful I do not have to commute to work or perform the school run anymore, I used up a lot of my patience long ago.

I still have enough patience to put up with these people until I can safely leave them behind, rather than resorting to horn/headlights/baseball bat as I might have done in my youth.

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - bathtub tom

I had this recently, following a Ford Mustang (for 8 miles!), every time an opposing car approached they dropped to a crawl, then after adopted the centre line. Fortunately, they went to three figures when they hit a bit of wide, tarmac.

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - drd63
Not guilty!! However judging by some fellow owners on a Mustang website they are probably scared to death of getting their car dirty by getting anywhere near the side of the road.
Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - Terry W

The typically rural roads around where I live frequently have potholed crumbly edges - so I also tend to drive towards the centre of such a road for both comfort and to avoid mechanical damage to shocks, wheels, tyres, steering etc.

There is also a fundamental question here - what constitutes "going slowly and holding me up"? A 5-10mph difference in speed is probably all it takes to get frustrated by the car in front, and the actual journey delay is probably typically measured in a low number of minutes.

Just to make the point - assume a 5 mile stetch of rural road, you want to do 50mph, the car holding you up is doing 40mph. Without the car in front you would cover the 5 miles in 6 minutes. Instead at 40mph it takes you 7.5 minutes. It's just 1.5minutes, 90 seconds out of your day. Not worth getting upset or angry about!

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - corax

If they are genuinely driving too slow for the road, then if you can, pull over onto a layby and wait a couple of minutes, listen to the radio or something. Then continue on your way. By the time you have caught them up, you will be nearer your destination, or they will have turned off, or someone else can have the pleasure of sitting behind them. It's what I do now, rather than get riled.

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - Bromptonaut

Just to make the point - assume a 5 mile stetch of rural road, you want to do 50mph, the car holding you up is doing 40mph. Without the car in front you would cover the 5 miles in 6 minutes. Instead at 40mph it takes you 7.5 minutes. It's just 1.5minutes, 90 seconds out of your day. Not worth getting upset or angry about!

Point well made. People in this village get incredibly aerated about being stuck behind a cyclist who 'should use the cycle track' over the last mile and a half of the road in (they don't use it because it's impassable on a road bike). Difference is a handful of minutes.

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - Sofa Spud

The roads are, unfortunately, infested with incompetent, unaware and plain stupid steering wheel attendants, none of whom are fit to be classed as 'drivers'.

. . . in roughly the same numbers as they are infested with impatient, risk-taking speed merchants, who also not fit to be classed as drivers.

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - Engineer Andy

At least they didn't try to force you off the road, or in the case of one berk, he put his foot to the floor whilst I was overtaking, going from 45-50 (on a 60 limit road on good conditions) to 80+. Some people are just dangerous, selfish *********.

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - craig-pd130

At least they didn't try to force you off the road, or in the case of one berk, he put his foot to the floor whilst I was overtaking, going from 45-50 (on a 60 limit road on good conditions) to 80+. Some people are just dangerous, selfish *********.

I experienced a similar situation a while back on the North Yorks Moors heading to Whitby, past Fylingdales. The road was straight with clear visibility of over a mile ahead, no traffic approaching, yet the driver who'd been dawdling at 45mph for the past 5 minutes immediately stamped on his throttle as soon as I was level with him during my overtake.

As it happens, I had plenty in hand to complete the overtake, as the road ahead was clear.

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - gordonbennet
As it happens, I had plenty in hand to complete the overtake, as the road ahead was clear.

Unfortunately the planned speed limiters will aid such lunatics in their quest to force anyone daring to overtake them into an emergency situation , presumably punishment for not abiding by their dictate of how the road should be driven.

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - 72 dudes

A lot of empathy for S40 Man.

A few weeks ago, travelling in the dark on a similar road, there was a Honda CRV in front of me.

Whilst it was travelling rather slowly for the conditions in my opinion (30-35 MPH), I was in no hurry.

However, every time a car came in the opposite direction, the CRV's brake lights would come on and the car would slow to anything between 15 and stationery. Very frustrating.

"If you are worried about driving at night, stay home", I thought.

I had bets with myself whether it was a female or an old(er) bloke, possibly with hat.

When they eventually turned off, it was the former.

As to speeding up to hinder or prevent an overtake, this seems to happen more often now. Not only has the skill of safe overtaking been almost lost, the attitude of many is that the overtaker is either driving dangerously or being aggressive.

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - Andrew-T

A few weeks ago, travelling in the dark on a similar road, there was a Honda CRV in front of me.... every time a car came in the opposite direction, the CRV's brake lights would come on and the car would slow to anything between 15 and stationary.

Perhaps the reason was being dazzled by each approaching car. I sympathise with that, especially if the road was wet.

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - alan1302

A few weeks ago, travelling in the dark on a similar road, there was a Honda CRV in front of me.... every time a car came in the opposite direction, the CRV's brake lights would come on and the car would slow to anything between 15 and stationary.

Perhaps the reason was being dazzled by each approaching car. I sympathise with that, especially if the road was wet.

Slowing down to 15mph for someone coming the other way is simply dangerous and if their eyesight is that bad they should not be driving.

<< Slowing down to 15mph for someone coming the other way is simply dangerous and if their eyesight is that bad they should not be driving. >>

Sorry, but that's just ridiculous and heartless. During rain the road is (obviously) reflective, and over-bright modern headlamps make almost everything else invisible. Lane markings disappear and the only likely navigation feature may be an illuminated kerb. It's not just a question of 'bad eyesight'.

And presumably continuing at 30mph might be twice as dangerous?

<< Slowing down to 15mph for someone coming the other way is simply dangerous and if their eyesight is that bad they should not be driving. >>

Sorry, but that's just ridiculous and heartless. During rain the road is (obviously) reflective, and over-bright modern headlamps make almost everything else invisible. Lane markings disappear and the only likely navigation feature may be an illuminated kerb. It's not just a question of 'bad eyesight'.

And presumably continuing at 30mph might be twice as dangerous?

If every time someone comes towards you and you have to slow down to 15mph you think that person should be driving? That's ridiculous. They are a danger to themselves and to others.

If every time someone comes towards you and you have to slow down to 15mph you think that person should be driving? That's ridiculous. They are a danger to themselves and to others.

Depends on the road.

If it was on a well marked unclassified county road then you're right. On the other hand it might be something narrower but just wide enough not to need passing places?

Depends on the road.

If it was on a well marked unclassified county road then you're right. On the other hand it might be something narrower but just wide enough not to need passing places?

From the original description it was a well marked country road so no need to slow down.

From the original description it was a well marked country road so no need to slow down.

TBH I thought we'd moved on from OP's specific incident and into a more general discussion.

Depends on the road.

You're partly right, it's wide enough for two cars, but not wide enough to warrant a dividing white line, hence why you may need the other drivers cooperation.

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - mcb100
‘Unfortunately the planned speed limiters will aid such lunatics in their quest to force anyone daring to overtake them into an emergency situation , presumably punishment for not abiding by their dictate of how the road should be driven.’
The planned speed limiters will be able to be overridden by pressing the accelerator to the floor, just like kickdown in an auto.
Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - gordonbennet
The planned speed limiters will be able to be overridden by pressing the accelerator to the floor, just like kickdown in an auto.

Did a politician or a press article say this, if so i'd take it with a large pinch of salt like everything else they say, we've had limiters for years in lorries, they've caused nothing but trouble on the road and at no point was there ever a legal override.

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - Leif

That’s potentially dangerous. A year back someone blocked my overtake on a short dual carriageway section, then slowed down and dawdled on the winding single carriageway stretch that lasted for miles. Most people are considerate, but sometimes I do wonder if the brain cell count reaches double digits.

That’s potentially dangerous. A year back someone blocked my overtake on a short dual carriageway section, then slowed down and dawdled on the winding single carriageway stretch that lasted for miles. Most people are considerate, but sometimes I do wonder if the brain cell count reaches double digits.

I've mentioned this before in another thread, but there was an elderly couple in a BMW I think on the local dual carriageawy, tootling along at 55mph and not even bothering to pass the vehicle in the inside lane, after pulling out! They stayed there for about 3 miles. Didn't even look in his mirrors once - I don't think they were even aware of people flashing and tooting them. And this was the second time I'd seen them do this on the same stretch of road in a few months.

I could easily see the same bloke going the wrong way down the same road at night, something that has unfortunately happened more than once on that road. Some people shouldn't be on the roads.

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - corax

Some people shouldn't be on the roads.

I agree with you, but maybe some of them have been forced into making their own travelling arrangements because the public transport systems are so dire, especially in rural areas. Just a sad fact of modern life.

Some people shouldn't be on the roads.

I agree with you, but maybe some of them have been forced into making their own travelling arrangements because the public transport systems are so dire, especially in rural areas. Just a sad fact of modern life.

...and an indictment on modern society and how we deal with getting older and the treatment of the elderly. In days of yore, most people could walk to their local shop - even villages had one - nowadays, most people have to drive everywhere because smaller towns and villages are essentially dormitories with little or no shops of note or that stay open past 4pm.

The same goes for leisure activities - most little cinemas etc have gone, rarely do smaller towns have anything to do (except perhaps getting hammered with a kebab to follow) in the evening. You have to travel by car to do anything, plus, public transport is concentrated on the more populus areas and families are now spread all over the country.

Still, good driving habits (including courtesy towards both older drivers and, from them, to the rest of us) should be encouraged so people can go about their business reasonably and safely.

<< ...and an indictment on modern society and how we deal with getting older and the treatment of the elderly. The same goes for leisure activities - >>

As long as you live in a capitalist society - enjoying its advantages - you have to accept that nearly all activities are businesses of some kind and must remain viable as determined by some kind of accountant. When the main public decides that their preferred shopping outlets are no longer in town centres, traditional commercial streets die off and the only way to shop is by car - as many people's weekly shop is too bulky to be taken home on public transport. Another reason why public transport only makes sense at rush hour.

<< ...and an indictment on modern society and how we deal with getting older and the treatment of the elderly. The same goes for leisure activities - >>

As long as you live in a capitalist society - enjoying its advantages - you have to accept that nearly all activities are businesses of some kind and must remain viable as determined by some kind of accountant. When the main public decides that their preferred shopping outlets are no longer in town centres, traditional commercial streets die off and the only way to shop is by car - as many people's weekly shop is too bulky to be taken home on public transport. Another reason why public transport only makes sense at rush hour.

It depends - I've seen (and mentioned in the forum) OAPs go downhill health-wise very quickly once their transport lifeline is taken away from them. In the case of my neighbour, going from someone who could occasionally drive and went out occasionally, helped at home by his wife, to a house-bound person needing twice-daily carers to vists and whose only trips out are in the back of ambulance at 2am.

All this changed in a year or so, because he had to give up driving. To me, I think he's essentially given up and is just waiting for the inevitable to happen. Sad really. As such, perhaps we should be a bit more generous as a society when this sort of thing happens with public transport outside of peak times - at the very least having some kind of reasonably priced community-type taxi services for them. The longer they remain in good health, the better.

Anyway, perhaps something for another time, given I am straying off topic myself after calling that out on another thread today.

It depends - I've seen (and mentioned in the forum) OAPs go downhill health-wise very quickly once their transport lifeline is taken away from them. In the case of my neighbour, going from someone who could occasionally drive and went out occasionally, helped at home by his wife, to a house-bound person needing twice-daily carers to vists and whose only trips out are in the back of ambulance at 2am.

Isn't the issue simply that he was going downhill health-wise?

Losing the ability to drive was one of many way points on that journey.

Isn't the issue simply that he was going downhill health-wise?

Losing the ability to drive was one of many way points on that journey.

Partly, but his enthusiam for life quickly diminished because he couldn't walk the distance to the nearest bus stop, nor wish to wait around for ages for a bus (especially in bad weather).

Even my parents, who are about 5-10 years younger are on the same slope - my mum now will not drive on any dual carriageway or motorway due to nervousness, even at quiet times of the day and in good weather. It came about because she got used to doing local driving only and lost confidence.

My neighbour did have health issues, but I think also lost confidence and didn't venture out so much anyway, but giving up driving really kicked off his deterioration - almost losing the will to live, now trapped at home. I think that going out and doing things, with family, friends etc on a regular basis helps, including keeping driving skills/abilities up for as long as possible. Rather like getting daily exercise - they did things at their destination so their body and brain were exercised.

I think that sometimes this loss of confidence through lower usage (perfectly understandable) has unintended consequences, often that the perpetrator does not fully grasp. I suspect they often don't realise they are causing more than a nuciance to other drivers by either driving erratically or way too slowly. That being said, non-OAPs have just as much to be sorry for, given the poor state of driving these days.

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - TQ

I have to admit that as I get older I driver slower and have become more cautious because I have less trust in my coordination. I am early 50s and drive a dull, old-man car and on narrow roads I simply do not feel safe going over 45mph and would slow a little when a vehicle approaches, esp in dark. I will slow a little when a vehicle is actually in the process of overtaking but get very irate when being followed too closely.

I like it best when I get to drive behind a heavy lorry travelling at 40mph, I can put the cruise on, tilt the rear view mirror out of sight, listen to the Goldberg Variations and ENJOY the drive.

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - madf

On local roads 30mph is too fast - expecially in winter. Within 0.5miles of our house, on teh raod up to the Moorlands, I have seen in the past two years: a Citroen C3 on its roof. A Golf GTI buried in a hedge . and a Disocvery half way up a tree..

Driving too fast for the road conditions..no pavements, high hedges, slippery roads, slopes and zero forward visibility due to bends...Nice and icy today when I walked up at 7.15am (high viz vest, head torch and throw yourself into hedges when cars pass up/down where I am.. Road unsuitable for HGVs.. a very tight S bend near the top is impassable.

On local roads 30mph is too fast - expecially in winter. Within 0.5miles of our house, on teh raod up to the Moorlands, I have seen in the past two years: a Citroen C3 on its roof. A Golf GTI buried in a hedge . and a Disocvery half way up a tree..

This is local to me:

goo.gl/maps/EZZHYwYJqme7tmiv9

Was once part of B4525 but now unclassified county road. Basically access between dormitory village and Northampton/M1. The feature in picture is known as Knitter's Bend, on face of it an innocuous and well signed double bend with proper markings.

At least two or three times a year there's a car in the ditch/field on one side or the other. While some perhaps clip the kerb and over correct/lose control majority are simply too fast. .

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - Cris_on_the_gas

Highway code rule 168.

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

This is local to me:

The start of our ascent...

tinyurl.com/wv857ut

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - Avant

That could easily be Dorset, Madf, but I think it's Staffs/Cheshire border isn't it?

But it's a similar problem - the downside of driving on mostly traffic-free country roads, as I do here in Dorset, is that when there is something coming the other way you will often have to slow down, just to be on the safe side. And 60 mph, though allowed on most of these roads, is often much too fast.

That could easily be Dorset, Madf, but I think it's Staffs/Cheshire border isn't it?

But it's a similar problem - the downside of driving on mostly traffic-free country roads, as I do here in Dorset, is that when there is something coming the other way you will often have to slow down, just to be on the safe side. And 60 mph, though allowed on most of these roads, is often much too fast.

Correct.

Drive 1 mile North and you are in Cheshire.. (And house prices rise 20% and rates rise 40% and local council incompetence and corruption rises several hundred percent)

Any - Non cooperation when overtaking on country road. - galileo

This is local to me:

The start of our ascent...

tinyurl.com/wv857ut

This is an interesting short cut from the Snake Pass / Ladybower to Stocksbridge.

A few stretches of 1: 4 gradients with hairpin bends at the foot of the hills.

preview.tinyurl.com/wfuok3z