Audi A2 tdi - Two stroke oil in PD Tdi engines - Steveieb
Seen a recommendation to add a small amount of two stroke oil to the fuel to quieten the engine.
Seems to work but are there any issues with this?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silkolene-SCOOT-2-Semi-Syntheti...M
Audi A2 tdi - Two stroke oil in PD Tdi engines - elekie&a/c doctor
Can’t see any problem with that . My brother runs an old Transit with a non common rail engine . He puts around 150 ml of 2 stroke oil into each fuel fill . It’s used as a lubricant for the pump . No ill effect after 8 years. He buys a 5 litre bottle for around £20 .
Audi A2 tdi - Two stroke oil in PD Tdi engines - edlithgow
Can’t see any problem with that . My brother runs an old Transit with a non common rail engine . He puts around 150 ml of 2 stroke oil into each fuel fill . It’s used as a lubricant for the pump . No ill effect after 8 years. He buys a 5 litre bottle for around £20 .

Also used as an upper cylinder lubricant by some people in petrol engines. Never done it but the theory seems sound, given that that is the only lubricaqnt that 2-stroke engines get.

IIRC ashless formulations designed for water cooled outboards (TC-W3) are recommended

https://www.nmma.org/certification/oil/tc-w3

https://www.infineuminsight.com/media/1822/11-small-engine-lubrication-na.pdf

I suppose I've never done it because I tend to feel my engine doesn't need anything increasing its HC emissions, but my impression is that I'd probably get away with it, especially if I do a couple of flush fills before inspection.

Audi A2 tdi - Two stroke oil in PD Tdi engines - gordonbennet

If you do decide to use it the current wisdom is to buy cheap bog standard mineral 2T oil, if you search the listings you'll find some is sold and mentioned (at owner's risk) for this purpose from one or two independent oil suppliers, Westway Lubricants supply mine, it's called Mineral Blue.

Two stroke oil has been recommended to me to increase the smoothness and noise of the PD but would the same effect be gained by using Shell V power or other fuel that has increased lubicosity.
Essentially not supermarket fuel or city diesel ?
Audi A2 tdi - Two stroke oil in PD Tdi engines - elekie&a/c doctor
An A2 has got to be a least 15 years old , so any attempt to make it quieter will be a lost cause . It’s more important to use the correct engine oil , to prolong camshaft wear and maintain correct injector operation.
Audi A2 tdi - Two stroke oil in PD Tdi engines - madf

I would not use 2 stroke oil.. catalyst will eventually be damaged...

As above, just use manufacturer's specification oil And oil filter...

The injectors are likely worn and can get noisy.. S stoke oil will make no difference to them...

The injectors are likely worn and can get noisy.. S stoke oil will make no difference to them...

I don't have a catalyst. I wouldn't have thought a 15 year-old diesel would have one either, though I havn;t checked,

People do use 2T with catalysts though, at very high dilutions, That may be the reason fot the TCW-3 recommendation.

In a diesel the main benefit (if any) will be to the fuel pump, but injectors and the upper cylinder are also exposed to fuel so increasing its lubricity might also be of benefit to them.,

After seeing your comments I'm a bit apprehensive about using the oil.
But would using Shell V power make the engine run smoother.
Audi A2 tdi - Two stroke oil in PD Tdi engines - Gibbo_Wirral

I used to use it, with no side effects. But always found it trickier to pour in without messing with measuring jugs and the like. So I just use a dose of 2EHN from a measured bottle.

Audi A2 tdi - Two stroke oil in PD Tdi engines - gordonbennet
After seeing your comments I'm a bit apprehensive about using the oil. But would using Shell V power make the engine run smoother.

I've been using it (2T) , and a dose of Millers Eco Power Whatever Its Called Presently, in each and every tankful for years, don't have any issues, engine quiet, emissions well under what's allowable at MOT time, engine pulls well, have never (touch wood) suffered a turbo failure.

Things might well be just the same if i wasn't using the mix, which i pre mix and keep in a small oil top up bottle and sling the lot in every time i fill up, but i do look after my vehicles regarding servicing above and beyond, not suggesting anyone else adopt my regime which works for me and i have no intention of changing...and no intention of going too modern on vehicles either until forced to by the legion of hypocrits and their apparatchiks who want to tell everyone else how to live.

I learned much from one of my bosses many years ago, he ran the best kept, arguably overmaintained, lorry fleets in the county and probably one of the best in the country, he didn't waste money mind, he always said oil is cheap engines gearboxes and axles are not, those lorries generally cruised at well over 60 mph fully loaded for the whole of their 7 years on the fleet, breakdowns were unheard of, with a queue of smaller hauliers and owner drivers eager to buy them after.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/01/2020 at 16:21

Audi A2 tdi - Two stroke oil in PD Tdi engines - Andrew-T
After seeing your comments I'm a bit apprehensive about using the oil. But would using Shell V power make the engine run smoother?

I find that adding 10 litres of V-power to my Pug 1.6 HDi tank makes the engine sound smoother almost immediately. I do that about every ten fills, costing about an extra quid a time, depending on the price differential. I guess it would have a similar effect in a PD engine.

Audi A2 tdi - Two stroke oil in PD Tdi engines - madf

I don't have a catalyst. I wouldn't have thought a 15 year-old diesel would have one either, though I havn;t checked,

People do use 2T with catalysts though, at very high dilutions, That may be the reason fot the TCW-3 recommendation.

In a diesel the main benefit (if any) will be to the fuel pump, but injectors and the upper cylinder are also exposed to fuel so increasing its lubricity might also be of benefit to them.,

It will have a cat: our 2003 Yaris d4d has one ...

Thank you for your comments.

I'll put the oil in the chain saw and ive bought some Red Ex Diesel additive instead ?

Surely that is safe ?

It will have a cat: our 2003 Yaris d4d has one ...

Time flies, and things get more complicated.

Fresh motivation to keep the old stuff going, though lately it feelsa bit like painting a burning house.