Ford Fiesta - '09 Fiesta Electrical Issue - Southern_Northerner

Hi folks, long time lurker first time poster!

I bought a '09 Fiesta Titanium 1.4 Auto in October, but since then it's been in and out of the garage with numerous battery issues.

First instance, it was rather cold outside and it just refused to start. Dash all lit up etc and it made the usual clicking noises, but no start. Jumped it, took it to the garage and they told me it was the same battery fitted when new so several years old! Figured the cold killed it off. It was replaced and sent away, no issues.

3 weeks later it failed to start again. Jumped it and it burst into life, but as soon as the car was switched off, no juice in the battery at all. No dash lights, no attempt at turning over, nada. To get the car to start we had to jump it every time. Back to the garage it went, new alternator fitted and another new battery.

It ran normally till yesterday when it decided it didn't like to start again. Dash lights all come on, usual clicking noises but nothing. Went out today to buy a jump pack (we were borrowing someone's) charged it all up, went to the car and it was completely dead. No interior lights, car unlocked itself, no battery power at all. Jumped the car, got it going and left it for 20 minutes when something odd happened. I only so much as grazed the steering wheel getting out of the car when it just died. Dash went black and engine cut out.

It's used mainly on short distances daily but we take it for a longer drive on the weekends to see family etc. All lights, wipers etc are automatic so I'm definitely not leaving them turned on by accident, no interior lights are being left on by accident, and they're now all LED as they draw considerably less power. The only thing I could have thought it was is the dashcam I've got plugged into the cig lighter, so I took that out whilst parked but made no difference. Oh and in the 'secret menu' the battery voltage yesterday before completely dying was showing bt080, today after i jumped it, it was showing bt095 to bt110 with no lights, climate control, radio, anything. With electrics, dropped to bt080 again then died.

I'm at a loss as to what the hell is going on, surely it can't have killed 3 batteries and 2 alternators?!

Help!

Ford Fiesta - '09 Fiesta Electrical Issue - FiestaOwner

Have heard of this issue before with Fiesta's (Think it only affects the ones with the Sony radio's and Bluetooth). See the links below:

www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/fiesta-battery-d.../

I have seen this section quoted elsewhere (not just in the link above):-"The short term fix is to leave the audio unit switched on when turning off the ignition."

www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/100978-radio-r.../

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/150137/watchdog-new-fiesta-c******d-by-bluetooth-battery-drain

The HJ website doesn't like one of the words in the last link. Please replace the word "c******d" with the word "c r i p p l e d" with no spaces.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by FiestaOwner on 01/01/2020 at 20:13

Ford Fiesta - '09 Fiesta Electrical Issue - elekie&a/c doctor
Radio Bluetooth module is the prime suspect for battery drain on these . Very easy to disconnect. Located below the dash , on passenger side , above footwell trim .
Ford Fiesta - '09 Fiesta Electrical Issue - Southern_Northerner

Hi both,

This model doesn't have the Bluetooth radio unit, just the standard one. The Bluetooth issue is what I'd figured initially but then realised it doesn't have it!

Ford Fiesta - '09 Fiesta Electrical Issue - elekie&a/c doctor
Some Fiesta models with auto transmission did suffer with bad earth lead between the engine and chassis . One modification was to run a new earth lead direct from the engine block to the battery ground point near the suspension turret . Worth a look .
Ford Fiesta - '09 Fiesta Electrical Issue - Big John

Take it back to where you bought it from you have rights especially in the first six months(in UK):-

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

Notably :-

"

Between 30 days and 6 months

If a fault comes to light after 30 days but before 6 months you’re entitled to a repair, replacement or refund.

• It’s assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise.
  • Unless you’ve agreed otherwise, the seller (dealer) has only one opportunity to repair (or replace) the faulty vehicle after which, if they fail to repair it, you’re entitled to a refund.
  • In the event of a refund following a failed attempt at repair during the first six months the seller may make a 'reasonable' adjustment to the amount refunded to take account of the use that you’ve had of the vehicle."

Edited by Big John on 04/01/2020 at 20:49