Learning to drive - samtheman111

Hello I was on here before but I am 27 from the UK. How long does it take to usually pass. I haven't got my provisional yet but when I do could I just book the theory test, past that and then book a practical in a test hire car without taking any lessons. I really want to pass by February

Learning to drive - oldroverboy.

Do this......

www.ukintensivedrivingcourses.co.uk/

problem is I don't have the money for that or time for it. I just need to have the test in a day in a test car and complete it in a day

Dream on then... (not unkindly!)

The Theory test is tough, and the practical test is tough too.

So the instructor would let me use the car without any lessons in it because I don't have a car to go in

Learning to drive - Andrew-T

Many people, especially teenagers, take a test in a school car. Might be a bit cheeky to ask to borrow one for a test without paying for a lesson .... Why not book one lesson and ask the instructor to assess your driving before the test?

Learning to drive - focussed

Do this......

www.ukintensivedrivingcourses.co.uk/

Hmmm - I used to operate in that area and without naming and shaming anybody, that operation bears a passing resemblance to an intensive driving course operator that used to be not exactly highly regarded by other instructors. One of their little scams was you got to the thursday of a five day course and they just binned you "Not up to the test standard so we've allocated your test slot for tomorrow to another pupil - goodbye"

You paid for five days and got four.

It's in their T's and C'structor reserves the The instructor reserves the right to refuse the use of the training vehicle for the practical test if the client does not reach a satisfactory standard of driving. The pupil will then be required to book the practical test as the test on their course will be lost.

14. UK Intensive Driving Courses acts as a booking agent for the individual instructors so all responsibility for the course hours and tests is with the instructor.

ght to refuse the use of the training vehicle for the practical test if the client does not reach a satisfactory standard of driving. The pupil will then be required to book the practical test as the test on their course will be lost.

14. UK Intensive Driving Courses acts as a booking agent for the individual instructors so all responsibility for the course hours and tests is with the instructor.

Couldn't be the same company though ( keeping Avant happy!)

Learning to drive - FiestaOwner

How long does it take to usually pass. I haven't got my provisional yet but when I do could I just book the theory test, past that and then book a practical in a test hire car without taking any lessons. I really want to pass by February

Can't see any driving instructor letting you use their car if they haven't been giving you lessons.

You need driving experience before you can consider taking your practical test. You need to be taught how to drive correctly to pass the test.

"According to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), it takes most people 45 hours of lessons to learn how to drive, plus 22 hours of practising."

Source: www.directline.com/car-cover/how-long-does-it-take...e

I will admit that the 45 hours of lessons sounds very high to me, but the test has significantly changed since I took mine over 30 years ago. I probably had under 20 lessons, but had a lot of practise in between.

yeah but I don't have a car to practice or learn in?

Learning to drive - Dag Hammar

Anyone else on this forum that suspects the original post is not genuine ?

Um it is genuine. I would to be able to drive like my stepsiblings and be able to have a girlfriend, and a job and getting married

Learning to drive - nellyjak

Yep..!!...but then I think that of many posts on this forum...lol ..but the OP's question and views seem a tad unrealistic.

Learning to drive - Leif

Aye.

It must be someone having a laff after a nice meal and a few sherbets.

yeah but I don't have a car to practice or learn in?

You need to face up to the fact that it costs money to learn to drive. It also takes a lot of money to buy/ maintain and run a car.

Your wasting your money by taking a driving test without having any practical experience. You won't manage to get the car out of the test centre car park before the examiner fails you and stops the test. Not meaning to be unkind, but I do hope you listen, if not to me then to others who reply to this thread.

Learning to drive - Bromptonaut

Do you have previous experience of driving for example in another country or stopping short of the test in the years since you were 17?

no. no experience at all

But how can I when I am at university

But how can I when I am at university

I agree with poster "Dag Hammar" above. This thread has to be a wind up!

Edited by FiestaOwner on 26/12/2019 at 18:24

Um its not a windup. How can I have 10 lessons when I am at university and I am not working. Its like driving instructors want to take money, why can't they just pass people

Um its not a windup. How can I have 10 lessons when I am at university and I am not working. Its like driving instructors want to take money, why can't they just pass people

Sadly, my comedic skills are not that great so I’ll leave this for other forumites to post a witty response.

Learning to drive - RT

Going back 50 years, a rule of thumb was that learners needed 1 hour's instruction per year of their age - so a 20-year old would need 20 hours - over those 50 years, driving has become more complex and the time will have gone up considerably.

I prioritised my limited income when I was at university and passed after 12 lessons - if you can't afford to do the same then you have to accept you can't learn to drive yet.

Learning to drive - Bromptonaut

They're working for a living; driving instruction is not a charitable pursuit.

If you want to drive then, barring a relative with time, skills and an available and insurable vehicle you will need to pay for lessons. Can you fit in hours in a bar, shop or fast food joint around your studies?

If not then I'm afraid driving isn't going to happen for you. And the cost of lessons is a flea bite when it comes to actually buying and running a vehicle.

Well no where is hiring me at the moment which is annoying. I mean I would never work in a bar, let alone a fast food place (Spit) but a shop never hires me.

And how can I do it when at Uni, and working. When do students normally learn to pass

Learning to drive - RT

Most students manage to attend lectures, research their projects, work part-time to earn money as well as an active social life - fitting driving lessons into that is perfectly possible.

But what's the point of learning to drive if you can't afford to buy/run a car?

well it means I would have passed

and how is it possible when I don't even know the f***ing roads at my university or any car instructors

Learning to drive - HGV ~ P Valentine

I learnt to drive for work, it was years before I was able to get my own car. The average cost of the " newbie" insurance is about £ 3000, it is not the running of the car that is the problem but the insurance. First 2 years you are on premium rate. ( arm and a leg lol, after that you only have to pay an arm )

um, but my stepbrother can drive and passed his test, his girlfriend who he is getting married to has passed her test. My stepsister and her partner can also drive as well.

You tell me when I could have money to learn to drive then, how the hell can I get the money. You really think working at McDonalds like a dog is enough

I WOULD NEVER AND I MEAN EVER ASK THEM

Learning to drive - gordonbennet

Why is anyone bothering to answer this obvious time wasting thread sensibly...i could ask myself the same question but in mitigation i won't try and offer anything constructive because to do so is pointless.

The OP already knows how to drive, just needs to borrow a driving school charity car in which he (presumably he) is insured, yet titles the the thread ''learning to drive''.

Makes about as much sense as the rest of the plot developing here.

What is that supposed to mean that I know how to f***ing drive. I wouldn't be asking about how to pass and got have to have f***ing 10-15 lessons.

You do realise when my stepbrother and stepsister passed their test it was the old test, they didn't have to pass using the b***** satnav

Learning to drive - Leif

What is that supposed to mean that I know how to f***ing drive. I wouldn't be asking about how to pass and got have to have f***ing 10-15 lessons.

You do realise when my stepbrother and stepsister passed their test it was the old test, they didn't have to pass using the b***** satnav

You are either a wind up merchant, or as thick as pig poop. Quite why the others are so tolerant is beyond me, this is like a Monty Python sketch.

Learning to drive - Chris M

"You are either a wind up merchant, or as thick as pig poop. Quite why the others are so tolerant is beyond me"

+1

Learning to drive - groaver

The OP is using a fishing line with a juicy bait that some cannot resist trying.

They are laughably transparent.

I used to be a driving instructor in the UK. My answer to enquiries like this was:-

"Give me a call when you've passed your theory test"

Learning to drive - sajid

Definitely wind up

Um I am not a wind up. You really think its fair that I have to pass a completely different test then my stepsiblings had to?

Learning to drive - FP

You are probably a wind-up, or drunk.

Even if you're not, you seem to have a sense of entitlement and spend a lot of your time whingeing about why you can't work, can't earn money, haven't got a car, can't pass your test instantly, haven't got a girlfriend.

You won't work in a fast-food place or a bar, can't understand why driving instructors get paid, want to pass your driving test even though you haven't got a car and think it's unfair that the driving test has got harder.

You're a bit of a loser, aren't you? Why do you think that is?

Yes I do have a sense of entitlement. I would work in a shop but NEVER EVER FAST f***ING FOOD

And yes I want a girlfriend, I want to be driving like my stepsiblings can

Learning to drive - RT

Um I am not a wind up. You really think its fair that I have to pass a completely different test then my stepsiblings had to?

It's fair that you have to pass the current test arrangements - if you don't like them, become a politician and change them.

Life's unfair - get used to it.

How can I have 10 lessons when I am at university and I am not working. Its like driving instructors want to take money, why can't they just pass people

I'll turn the question the other way round. How do you expect to pass any exam without learning the subject first? Why are you at uni ?

Uni is not the same because the exam questions were still the same as my stepsiblings however the driving test is complexly different and you have to follow some sat nav. Well I tell you what if they tell me to do that they can just except im not doing that

Learning to drive - alan1302

Same poster is posting different questions on a non motoring forum as well today - think they have had much too much to drink.

or maybe Alan I am getting fed up with my stepsiblings being one step ahead of me all the f***ING TIME

Moderator, please delete the account or block samtheman111.

This site is very useful for help and advice and should not be spoiled by the likes of samtheman111

So go on then, you tell me how I can

1. Pass uni

2. Get a job

3. Get a car and be able to drive

4. Get a girlfriend and be able to plan a wedding

5. Go on holiday with the girl I love

6. share a bed with a girl

7. have the same present my stepsiblings and their partners got from my mum and stepdad

Learning to drive - Ethan Edwards

Entitled much? I want everything and I want it yesterday and I'm prepared to do absolutely nothing to get it. Isnt that very Millennial of you?

FWIW I worked when I left school. Up till my A levels every holiday I temped in an office. Saved my money and paid for my own driving lessons. Still I suppose that very old fashioned these days. Initially I got £33 a week. Driving lessons were 5quid an hour. I had 16. Passed first time which was lucky as I couldn't afford to pay for another test fee that year. Times were hard and my parents had nothing to spare. And I gave my parents housekeeping out of that. Different times.

Learning to drive - edlithgow

While this threade, from a scan of the first couple of pages, is a WOT and MAY be a windup, it does reflect (and perhaps satirises) some Third World attitudes to the driving test concept that I have gained some insight into here in Taiwan.

The Taiwanese driving test (which I believe is quite like some others in SE Asia, even the Japanese one) has very little to do with real world driving.

It takes place on a closed-course circuit, and involves some quite difficult manouvres (notably reversing down a narrow S-shaped course with contact detectors on the sides) which one might never encounter in several lifetimes of real-world driving.

Its function is purely to make money for the driving schools. Normally people sign up for a "guaranteed pass" driving course, in which they show you how to "game" the test course (turn the wheel until that piece of tape is lined up with the indicator stalk"stylee.

I believe the schools have the right to test and pass a certain quota of students, though there are also government test centres. Since you pay a flat fee for the "guaranteed pass"course, they have an incentive to get you off the books if you turn out to be a slow learner.

Its hard to have any respect for such a system, and if the OP has connections with a country with a similar system, that might partly explain the attitude,

I tried it at the govt centre and failed twice, So far I've resisted the driving school scam and just keep renewing my internaqtional license, which may be a bit illegal.

I suppose, having passed my UK test first go (horrifying my girlfriend, who taught me to drive) I may have an innappropriate sense of entitlement

Edited by edlithgow on 27/12/2019 at 15:07

Learning to drive - FP

"So go on then, you tell me how I can..."

Why should we? Do it yourself, the same as most of us have had to do. Get a life, stop whining and get on with living it. No-one owes you anything.

You do realise how pathetic you sound, don't you?

Please.

Everyone, 'Tis the Season of Goodwill'

Let's all have a whipround, collect lots of money and........

Go down the pub.

Sam, you'll do better if you go back to college, and indeed, still at UNI at 27, surely.......at 27... you haven't graduated...

If you meet me by the Blacksmiths Arms in the High street later today I'll pay for your first driving lesson provided you come dressed as a Christmas Turkey.

Learning to drive - veloceman
Well this post has cheered me up.
I Can’t stop chuckling.
Looks like our futures will be in good hands!

Yes oldroverboy I am 27, I am 27 and haven't graduated. WHATS THE f***ING PROBLEM WITH THAT YOU NASTY LITTLE MAN

Learning to drive - Leif

Yes oldroverboy I am 27, I am 27 and haven't graduated. WHATS THE f***ING PROBLEM WITH THAT YOU NASTY LITTLE MAN

Good heavens. Those toys really are flying out of the pram. ORB nasty? Yeah and Santa Claus is a serial killer and uses child labour.

Learning to drive - Leif

Please.

Everyone, 'Tis the Season of Goodwill'

Let's all have a whipround, collect lots of money and........

Go down the pub.

Sam, you'll do better if you go back to college, and indeed, still at UNI at 27, surely.......at 27... you haven't graduated...

If you meet me by the Blacksmiths Arms in the High street later today I'll pay for your first driving lesson provided you come dressed as a Christmas Turkey.

Best thread post.

No that was a very mean post that oldrover said. Saying I should not be at uni, you know people f***ing go to uni and different ages!

No that was a very mean post that oldrover said. Saying I should not be at uni, you know people f***ing go to uni and different ages!

Indeed, not very nice, but YOU are taking the "P", so don't get upset when we take it too!

Did I actually say that you shouldn't be at Uni?

Don't think so.

But all the same, to make it up to you, I'll pay for 2 lessons.

Im not taking the P. I want what my stepsiblings have, that's why I am on here for advice about how to get the car and drive in a short space of time. Its one way I can beat them

Learning to drive - Leif

What are you studying? Definitely not anger management. Or logic.

tourism management

Out of interest, are you studying at the Basil Fawlty University in Devon?

Edited by Chris M on 27/12/2019 at 09:15

um no

Learning to drive - paul 1963

I really resisted the temptation to reply but congratulations I've taken the bait.

A few cold hard facts for you: in order to drive, own a car costs money, go and earn some then pay for lessons.....simple!

Oh and please stop swearing.

Out of interest, are you studying at the Basil Fawlty University in Devon?

Chris M, nice one. Your comment sailed right over his head

tourism management

I think that says it all. Everything seems to be about sibling envy. Why a 'mature' 27-year-old has to pepper his remarks with the universal f-word escapes me. Avant must be having a lie-in for this thread to have lasted as long as this.

HNY to everyone, by the way, even Sam. Apologies for possible gender error - I forgot that Sam can be female occasionally ... :-)

Edited by Andrew-T on 27/12/2019 at 09:23

How would you feel if your younger stepsiblings could drive, had finished uni. had worked, had got partners, gone on holiday with their partners and you had none of that

Learning to drive - RT

How would you feel if your younger stepsiblings could drive, had finished uni. had worked, had got partners, gone on holiday with their partners and you had none of that

What a well balanced individual - a chip on both shoulders.

im just asking how people would feel. would they be happy

Learning to drive - mss1tw

You can't drive? What a loser.

Happiness comes from what you can achieve for yourself.

I don't really need to drive anymore, but it is handy. I could save myself all the grief of tax, insurance, MOT, purchase and fuel and have a handsome sum over to take the odd taxi and trains, As well as helping to save the PLANET.

Look on the bright side Sam. You are motivated to do something, so do it and tell nobody. That'll be your secret accomplishment.

I apologise for being rude on here

Learning to drive - Brit_in_Germany

Living in a large city with good public transport services, neither of my teenage children has expressed an interest in learning to drive. With the push for self-driving vehicles maybe in a few years there will be no need for a driving test anyway. I think the OP's prblems would be solved if s/he used the skils learnt at uni to set up a business in some far off sun-drenched island where a driving licence can be bought and there is a ready stream of potential partners stripping off for the beach.

Learning to drive - leaseman

Samtheman 111.

Let me relate to you how I paid for lessons and bought a car when I was at University:

I worked 7 days a week whilst at school, in the mornings, evenings and weekends. Delivering newspapers, cleaning factories, cleaning toilets and stacking bricks at a local brickyard. Fortunately for our health, if not for the availability of easy jobs, we did not have fast-food outlets. If we had those, then that is where I would have worked.

The money I saved helped me to take driving lessons (My parents never had a car!) pass the driving test, buy my first car (6 weeks wages worth), insure it (4 weeks wages), and run it, learning car mechanics in the process.

When you come down to earth, do what I did! Otherwise, remain in cloud cuckoo land.

Learning to drive - Brit_in_Germany

While I was at uni, the government paid for my driving lessons. Simple if you know how!

Thing is I dont know if it's best to learn in my home or uni city

While I was at uni, the government paid for my driving lessons. Simple if you know how!

OTC?

I suppose that might be an option for the OP, assuming the nationality criteria are met.

27 is a bit older than usual but not, I think, a show stopper.

Cue Daily Teledgraph "Bit o'discipline/short back and sides/ make a man of you"jive

(though I doubt that really applies to the OTC)

Probably actually a better way of getting an HGV when you already have a drivers licence, though, since they may not be short of drivers.

Edited by edlithgow on 27/12/2019 at 15:25

. Fortunately for our health, if not for the availability of easy jobs, we did not have fast-food outlets.

Don't think I'd class that as an easy job.

Generally I've found that the hardest jobs are the poorest paid,

Eg

Easy: Network Engineer, Treasury and Capital Markets

Hard: Making pizzas on an assembly line.

May not be universal, but its pretty general

Living in a large city with good public transport services, neither of my teenage children has expressed an interest in learning to drive. With the push for self-driving vehicles maybe in a few years there will be no need for a driving test anyway. I think the OP's prblems would be solved if s/he used the skils learnt at uni to set up a business in some far off sun-drenched island where a driving licence can be bought and there is a ready stream of potential partners stripping off for the beach.

Neither of Youngroverbelles have bothered with a driving license.

Now 39 and 37.

Both live in switzerland where there are strict limits on minimum tuition and cars and insurance are at eyewatering prices.

Think yourself it's lucky you are here!

www.ch.ch/en/practical-driving-test/

Practical driving test

During the practical test, an expert assesses your ability to drive a motor vehicle of your chosen category safely and follow the traffic regulations. In order to obtain the necessary skills and to prepare for the test, you are strongly recommended to take driving lessons with a professional instructor.

Booking your test

When you feel comfortable driving, have enough driving experience and have attended the required courses (e.g. compulsory theory course) you can sign up for the practical test.

Please enter your municipality

Find a driving school near you

Please enter your municipality

Test requirements

The vehicle in which you intend to take your test must be in the correct category, in a roadworthy condition, meet all regulations and display an L-plate (white L on blue background) clearly on the back.
You must bring the following documents with you:

• a valid identity document (passport, identity card or residence permit)
  • your provisional driving licence
  • a driving licence obtained for another vehicle category if applicable
  • vehicle registration document of vehicle used for the test.

If you pass

After you pass your test you will receive your credit card format probationary driving licence by post.

If you fail Procedure after first failed attempt

If you fail the test, you can generally retake the test after a month. For more information contact your canton’s road traffic office.

Procedure after second failed attempt

You have to provide a certificate from a recognised driving instructor stating that you have completed your training.

Procedure after third failed attempt

If you fail the practical driving test at the third attempt, you will have to undergo a driving aptitude test before being permitted to take a further test. Your cantonal road traffic office will refer you to the appropriate service. If you fail this test, your provisional licence is no longer valid. The legal basis for this measure is provided by the Road Traffic Licensing Ordinance.

Procedure after fourth failed attempt

If you fail your driving test a fourth time or if you do not pass the driving aptitude test taken after your third attempt, you may only take another test if you are given a positive psychological assessment on your ability to drive.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 27/12/2019 at 11:43

Works for me.

Well, it might if 27 wasn't quite such a distant memory..

Still a good trick if you can do it though.

Edited by edlithgow on 27/12/2019 at 11:16

So is it better learning at home or at the uni city

Learning to drive - joegrundy

Yes

Learning to drive - Leif

Yes

I agree.

Difficult for us to advise as we don't know which either place is. I would say you might be less distracted at home than when at uni where there may be more going on. But I guess you are away more than you are at home. Only you can judge. A 'uni city' may be bigger and more congested than your home town; lessons may be cheaper; all kinds of considerations.

Learning to drive - groaver

Never has so much e-ink been wasted on a troll who laps up every response to him.

I'm guilty of adding to it by posting twice now.

Honestly, just ignore it completely.

Learning to drive - Leif

I guess I would feel like a complete loser. (I’m only kidding.)

So to be serious and assuming you are for real, you usually get things in life by working. I worked hard at A levels to get into university where I worked hard to get a first. I then worked in academic life until I got sensible and got a real job to earn some real money. I learnt to drive at age 35 because a boss manipulated me into taking lessons. It backfired on him as once I had the licence I left for a better job.

Asking how to pass the test without lessons is barking. Are you going to ask how to pass a degree without working? Tourism management, why on earth do you need a degree, get a job and get experience, and don’t owe £50,000.

I passed my car test in 1996, and only sat it because I heard from a hgv driver on my forklift that I we would lose all the extras on the licence, trailer, d1 etc. Since then and before I have passed my Forklift, reach truck, British monorail, barlow high racker, various forms of MEWP, class II. Sat my class 1 and failed the test twice. I have also got newbies up to test standard who have passed. ( 3 year rule )

I find it amazingly stupid and and totally irresponsible that you should get on the road without any sort of instruction/tuition, the fact you cant afford it is no excuse or reason to do so, I would love to fly but cant afford it, should I go to a local airfield and take a plane over London or any other big city to " see how I get on ".

The test itself has changed and in my opinion become easier, they do not do some of the manoeuvres that we had to do, and been replaced with some that are laughable, reversing your car for 2 car lengths is a new one ha ha, and parking in a bay ha ha are the 2 examples, they have taken out reversing around a corner and the emergency stop, both of which some people cannot still do even after years of driving.

I also think the theory test is a joke for the following reasons and have proved this time and time again with people who have just passed ….

When we took our test we learnt as much as we could about the highway code ( all of it ) because we could be asked questions on any of it, and it was rare that it was phrased in the same way. The theory test became compulsory in June 1996. When you are on the road and you see a road sign you do not get a list of options so you have to KNOW WHAT IT MEANS, and especially the shape of it, on a few occasions the size of the road sign is also telling you something, as well as the length of the lines in the middle of the road. ( I wonder how many of you know the difference in meaning between long white lines and short ones ?, and also the meaning behind the 2 sizes of speed limit signs ?

I used to drive a mini bus for an agency, and everyone who had just passed their theory test I asked 6 easy questions, and you know not 1 person got them right not 1, so the theory test in its current format does not work, it should not come with answers already supplied in my opinion.

I find it disturbing that people feel they have the " right to drive", YOU DON'T. It is a privilege and not a right for anyone including me, you earn the permission to start driving by proving you are not going to kill anyone behind the wheel ( being good is not compulsory at this stage ), you retain that permission by continuing to learn and improve your driving skills by gaining EXPERIENCE.

it is this feeling of " right to drive " that keeps people on the road for far longer then they should be, when the body starts to fail on you as it will for all of us, eyesight ~ reaction time ~ etc then it is time to consider a bus pass. People have to understand that if your basic functions cannot be corrected through medication it is time to be responsible and stop.

Learning to drive - Leif

A lot of sense in that post.

Maybe it is actually35ish years a pro-driver by nw, so only one thing to say in reply without duplicating your post.

Very clear and factual, Good advice!

www.gov.uk/driving-test/using-your-own-car

What do you mean get a job and experience. I'm learning a lot which is the main thing and the social experience is good. If I didn't go to uni how the f*** would I get a gf

Learning to drive - thunderbird

If I didn't go to uni how the f*** would I get a gf

I did not go to uni and had plenty of gf's. 2 of them became my wives (not at the same time).

You don't need a brain to breed. The low lifes you see in town prove that. They are so inbred it surprises me they only have 5 digits on each hand.

Oh really and where did you meet them hay. At least at uni there are people to talk to. You cant meet anyone after in this day and age and dont say online dating because it never works

Learning to drive - Terry W

I read some of this thread of 90+ posts.

I find it quite extraodinary that so delusional a man who claims some intelligence through being at a university, can be so abysmally stupid and obstinate following the advice that has been given.

Dammit ..................... just added another post!

Oh really and where did you meet them hay. At least at uni there are people to talk to. You cant meet anyone after in this day and age and dont say online dating because it never works

Why do you need a girlfriend. Having read some of your posts you come over as the type of person who regularly uses their hand.

Learning to drive - galileo

I read some of this thread of 90+ posts.

I find it quite extraordinary that so delusional a man who claims some intelligence through being at a university, can be so abysmally stupid and obstinate following the advice that has been given.

Dammit ..................... just added another post!

Remember his 'degree' is 'tourism management' or some such Mickey Mouse course, probably at one of the glorified polytechnics which are now called Universities, many of which have minimal entrance qualifications.

I'm surprised he is trusted with sharp objects like pencils, I dread to think of him being let loose behind the wheel of a car.

All these steps/sibs he is so envious of must avoid his company, which is why he's on here bothering us.

Edited by galileo on 27/12/2019 at 21:46

Um its not a mickey mouse course

Learning to drive - Leif

What do you mean get a job and experience. I'm learning a lot which is the main thing and the social experience is good. If I didn't go to uni how the f*** would I get a gf

Are you sure you aren’t a script writer for a Monty Python style comedy group? You would be awfully good at it.,

After 8 years in academic life and 30 years in industry my belief is that getting into a job is the hard part, once you are in and have a few years experience, qualifications don’t really matter. There are exceptions of course, medicine being an obvious one. What matters more is character, cunning and politics. There are too many people doing inappropriate degrees but that’s another subject ...

Maybe because they are interested in the subject. You tel me if you would hire be with a triple distinction star and a first or just the distinction.

Plus my stepsiblings went to uni and getting a girlfriend is impossible. At least at uni I met some friends that are girls

Learning to drive - Terry W

Rather than learning to drive which is apparently unaffordable you could try a different strategy to win over young ladies.

Go green. Paint your reluctance to even learn to drive to a desire to save the planet. Join a few environmental and/or ecological groups at uni. Learn the climate change mantras. Become a vegetarian (or preferably vegan) to impress those around you with your sincerity and desire to save fluffy animals from the pot.

Success is almost guaranteed.

Edited by Terry W on 27/12/2019 at 16:58

100 !!!!!

Um why would I want to go vegan or vegertarian. I want a proper family Christmas one day, you can't have that with rabbit food

Maybe because they are interested in the subject. You tel me if you would hire be with a triple distinction star and a first or just the distinction.

Please tell us what you see yourself doing after you get your degree in tourism management. Will it be in actual 'tourism'? I know that some employers will hire people with a qualification in almost any topic on the basis that it is proof of lasting the course.

Or are you mainly using the uni as a dating agency to find one of those missing gf's, some of whom find it useful for their bf to have a car?

Yes I want to be in tourism I want to work in hotel management, event management, that sort of thing. All of which I am studying. I am even studying marketing as part of my course

I could work in

• Destination Marketing & Development;
  • Luxury Tour Operations;
  • Social Media & Digital Marketing;
  • Hotel & Events Management;
  • Airlines;
  • Visitor Attractions;
  • Heritage & Cultural Organisations.
Learning to drive - Bolt

Are you sure you aren’t a script writer for a Monty Python style comedy group? You would be awfully good at it.,

seemed like a lost Faulty Towers episode, I can see why it was lost...

please don't be mean

Learning to drive - Leif

please don't be mean

You’re the mean one, not wanting to pay for driving lessons. Driving instructors need to feed their families too you know.

Because driving lessons are a scam. I mean would I even be allowed to drive the car on the first lesson??

I wonder if on some driving instructor's forum someone has put up a link to this thread, each member hoping they arn't the one who takes the fatal call then doesn't twig who it is and agrees.:-)

I really don't want to share the roads with a melt like you

How is this thread still up?! You guys have the patience of all the saints

Edited by mss1tw on 27/12/2019 at 20:15

Learning to drive - RT

Because driving lessons are a scam. I mean would I even be allowed to drive the car on the first lesson??

Why do you think driving lessons are a scam? Yes, you would be expected to drive the car on the first lesson - I was navigated into Brighton's rush hour on my first lesson.

Why do you think driving lessons are a scam? Yes, you would be expected to drive the car on the first lesson - I was navigated into Brighton's rush hour on my first lesson.

My instructor just kept telling me over and over again how to get a girlfriend, I did ask if it was going to be part of the test

And what about roundabouts. They expect you to be great at them

Learning to drive - Bolt

And what about roundabouts. They expect you to be great at them

You know what a roundabout is;0 only a select few know how to drive around them properly

Yeah but what if I get scared on the lesson, they are the one thing I shudder at. The instructor might laugh at me

No more than we are :)

Look am being serious. How many lessons would I probably need to have

Learning to drive - Engineer Andy

Ha ha the ultimate answer :)

Learning to drive - Bolt

Look am being serious. How many lessons would I probably need to have

1 more than you can afford allegedly, it depends on your ability to pick up driving as it isn't for everyone and some are afraid of cars....plus the traffic is a nightmare now

Best to take a few lessons see how the driving instructor will assess u.

You say your siblings have passed and are driving why not ask for their help in learning to drive, providing u insured.

And have a happy new year :)

I wouldn't want to ask them and they don't live near us anyway

Learning to drive - paul 1963

Can't wait to read Avants take on all this, Samtheman ( ha ha) has kept my giggling for two days now!

I am sorry again for being rude on here

Learning to drive - catsdad
Fellow older members may remember the books of the Henry Root letters. I can't think why but they sprung to mind on reading this saga...........

I still have a much prized copy - the responses to his unhinged letters to the great and the good were hilarious. As was the speculation at the time of publication as to the real identity of Henry Root - Was he Willie Rushton? Richard Ingrams? Peter Cook?

But turned out to be William Donaldson - womanising satirist and novelist who squandered several fortunes on wild living.

Learning to drive - FP

"Can't wait to read Avants take on all this, Samtheman ( ha ha) has kept my giggling for two days now!"

Avant has probably got better things to do than worry about the ramblings of The Man. I wonder if poor old Sam thinks we're taking him seriously. So many problems... such a wretched life, full of frustration... no luck with girls... not loved by his mum and stepdad... envious of his siblings... worried that others might laugh at him... no money... has a phobia of fast-food places... frightened of roundabouts... still at uni at 27...

Desperate for solutions to all this, he comes on here and keeps inventing new things to moan about.

I mean, you gotta laugh.

Learning to drive - bathtub tom

I wonder if he may have a better career at MaccyDee's? How many of those staff drive?

This thread has provided much merriment.

I am now left wondering how long it will be before samtheman invents a new user name and reappears on this forum with his next problem.

We could start the ball rolling and make it easier for him by inventing some imaginary problems.

This could run and run.........

Here i was depressed but reading ssmdeman posts has cured me of depression :)

Here i was depressed but reading ssmdeman posts has cured me of depression :)

Ditto, and I am only suffering from SAD..

But a bit of light relief has brightened up may days.

I started laughing after about the 3rd reply.

Happy new year to all.

Sam

What you need is to subscribe to an essay writing service, there are normally loads advertising on this forum, you will only have to wait a few days to see an advert. Within weeks you will have a top grade degree and instantly you will find a top job and a model quality girlfriend.

Perhaps the essay writing service will offer to do the theory part of the driving test as well and if you are really lucky and find a truly excellent company they will probably do the practical part for a small extra consideration.

With the salary from your recently acquired top job you will easily be able to afford a quality car.

What more could you possibly want.

And what is wrong with me being at uni at 27. There is nothing wrong, people go at any age

Learning to drive - bathtub tom

I'd love to know your GCSE and 'A' level subjects grades.

I Only got English GCSE didn't pass Maths. I didn't take A Levels either as I took BTEC at college

Learning to drive - Avant

Hello Sam (Samuel or Samantha?)

I'm the moderator on here and I've just seen this thread after a couple of days away seeing family. I think - whether or not you're serious - you've achieved a record number of posts in the space of two days.

If this is a wind-up - great. It's provided much amusement for a lot of people with time off after Christmas.

If it isn't, and you're seriously in need of advice, then at 27 you've been around long enough to know that you can't pass any test of skill - whether university exams or the driving test - without practice and preparation. With the amount of traffic on the roads, you would be a danger to others if you didn't have proper instruction.

If you're really serious, then:

(a) Don't start posts with 'Um'.

(b) Don't swear, and in particular don't use the word beginning with F and ending in -ing as an adverb. This is indefensible.

But how long does in normally take. Im going back to uni soon so im not going to have time soon

Learning to drive - FP

OK, Sam. We know taking a hint is not your strong point.

How are your reading skills? Maybe you need to focus on these, because your question ("But how long does in normally take"[sic]) has been answered.

By the way, getting spelling and punctuation right is normally expected of university students.

Edited by FP on 28/12/2019 at 18:14

but when should I start learning because im at university again soon, I can't drive when I am there. I don't have money at the moment either

If you can't afford driving lessons, then you can't afford to buy or run a car - so there's not a lot of point in worrying about it.

You need either to get a part-time job or wait until you finish university and get a full-time job.

But if I get a part time job how will I find time with uni and study. Do you really think a job like McDonalds would let people have enough time off

Learning to drive - Bolt

But if I get a part time job how will I find time with uni and study. Do you really think a job like McDonalds would let people have enough time off

You seem to forget other people do it all the time and you are not the only one in that position, difference is they put themselves out to do what they want to do instead of winging about it

Learning to drive, even at the advanced age of 27, is not something you can (or should try to) rush. And moonlighting at MacDonald's is not likely to fill your coffers very fast, but may take too much time out from 'normal' uni activity. And if you don't accept those points, learning to drive in midwinter is not the best time either.

so when do you suggest I start. plus in Oswestry there are no instructors

so when do you suggest I start. plus in Oswestry there are no instructors

It's a College not a Uni..

I live in f***ing Oswestry you stilly little man, I go somewhere else to uni

This is our poster who was looking for driving lessons before in an automatic car.

What a silly child.

And why am I a silly child. YOU f***ING LITTLE t***. You do not know what its been like for me. My stepbrother and stepsister have partners they love, I am alone, I DON'T HAVE f***ING ANYONE

And why am I a silly child. YOU f***ING LITTLE t***. You do not know what its been like for me. My stepbrother and stepsister have partners they love, I am alone, I DON'T HAVE f***ING ANYONE

Because you are desperate to get some attention and going about it in all the wrong way.

Nobody on here will have the slightest sympathy for you, so no use trying anymore.

I am not trying to get some attention. f***ing little t***. How do you actually expect me to improve to

1. Get a girlfriend

2. Complete uni

3. Be able to drive

4. Get a job

5. Be planning on getting married

6. Spending xmas with the girl I love

HEY WHAT DO I DO ABOUT IT BECAUSE I WANT THAT ALL

TODAY, THATS WHAT MY STEPSIBLINGS HAVE

I have asked a moderator to close this thread to stop anymore of this d*****.

Sam, Good luck, but carry on as you are doing and you will never get anything you want.

But maybe these people can help you.

Dial 116 123. its free/

I can always make another thread though. All I want is advice. I don't need help like that. They won't give me a car, a girlfriend or finish my uni course for me

Learning to drive - FP

"They won't give me a car, a girlfriend or finish my uni course for me"

Why on earth should "they" or indeed anyone do anything like that for you? You need to do it yourself. Why do you expect everyone else to fit in with you?

You moan about your siblings getting better treatment, but you sound like a totally spoilt, immature child to me. Are you sure you're 27?

I'm with you ORB. This idiot has had the advice he sought (but doesn't like) and is now taking the mick.

Time for a long walk off a short pier.

Learning to drive - Leif

I have asked a moderator to close this thread to stop anymore of this d*****.

Sam, Good luck, but carry on as you are doing and you will never get anything you want.

But maybe these people can help you.

Dial 116 123. its free/

I suspect that is the best advice.

Sam, you’re going round in circles, asking the same questions again and again. Life’s not easy. If you’re really down, then speak to someone. Someone I knew recently topped himself. He was the coach of the first hockey team I trained with. I liked him, as did many people.Everyone was really upset by the news and wished he’d spoken to the rest of us. If you are not really down, well get your degree, get a job, then learn to drive.

I am not trying to get some attention. f***ing little t***. How do you actually expect me to improve to

1. Get a girlfriend

2. Complete uni

3. Be able to drive

4. Get a job

5. Be planning on getting married

6. Spending xmas with the girl I love

HEY WHAT DO I DO ABOUT IT BECAUSE I WANT THAT ALL

TODAY, THATS WHAT MY STEPSIBLINGS HAVE

1. Do you think you are attractive to girls, if you were a girl would your posts on here impress you as a potential mate to father her children? a brief look back at what you have written would be revealing, a young woman if she has an ounce of sense wants a man not an overgrown child she has to mother.

2. Completing university shouldn't be an issue, work hard complete the course, pass your exams, job done.

3. Depends on 4.

4. Stop being so precious, get out there and find some work. Some of your issues are because you seem to have illusions of grandeur almost snobbish by looking down at those who work in fast food places and you are above working at places like McD's, you need money and the only way you'll get it is by working for it because robbing banks is usually a short career, so either get a job and learn to drive or don't and don't.

5. If you don't have a girlfriend the chances of you ever marrying are remote to say the least unless its arranged, though its entirely possible these days that many men wouldn't be very interested in the types of females at university, so maybe looking elsewhere would bear fruit, ie you might meet some decent girls at McD's, the types of girls who don't have an overinflated opinion of themselves, or someone who might actually have an opinion of their own.

6. Until you find a girlfriend you arn't going to find someone to love, its a chicken and egg situation.

Yes you want it all, so you'd better get your finger out and earn your place in life so you can have it all.

The world will not come to you, you have to go out and find it, the woman of your dreams possibly isn't to be found at a University, i met the woman of my dreams through my work.

And for goodness sake stop being so envious of your step siblings, if they have made good in their lives good luck to them, if they happen to have a richer parent who has gifted them their goodies then they may well be spoiled brats who knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Edited by gordonbennet on 28/12/2019 at 20:00

but im running out of time. I want kids in future. In 10 years where will I be. If I don't get a girlfriend soon im finished

but im running out of time. I want kids in future. In 10 years where will I be. If I don't get a girlfriend soon im finished

Aaaah...

Hang on, just clicked on Amazon and a new magic wand will be here tomorrow via Prime.

If your post is serious, and i think we've all assumed you're only here wasting time, then i can tell you absolutely magic wands and genies do not exist in real life.

In 10 years time if you don't grow up you'll be a ten year older bitter chap who hasn't a licence, girlfriend, wife, home of you own, or even a job.

By the way, women worth having want a man who can provide and protect them and the children, so stop feeling sorry for yourself and sharpen you act up.

Even this trolling attempt is pathetic.

Edited by gordonbennet on 28/12/2019 at 20:15

Oh go f*** yourself

You do realise at a family party I was the only person who was single, I was the only person who couldn't drive. My Stepsister had a partner and she looked really nice, my stepbrothers girlfriend looked really nice as well

You do realise I need to find someone who looks nice as well, not a fat b**** but someone who looks attractive and who I can show off to my family and not be a f***ing embarrassment

Oh go f*** yourself

You do realise at a family party I was the only person who was single, I was the only person who couldn't drive. My Stepsister had a partner and she looked really nice, my stepbrothers girlfriend looked really nice as well

You do realise I need to find someone who looks nice as well, not a fat b**** but someone who looks attractive and who I can show off to my family and not be a f***ing embarrassment

Oswestry, where boys are boys and ***** are nervous...

Edited by oldroverboy. on 28/12/2019 at 20:19

what do u mean by that

Larger spade required, hole now huge but you're still digging.

As for fornicating with oneself, an interesting concept, something we don't usually advocate on this forum but we're a broad church so if it brings you some joy then by all means.

I suspect this thread will vanish in a short while, hopefully you will too, cheerio.

Edited by gordonbennet on 28/12/2019 at 20:19

And tell me trilogy if I am banned from this forum where else can I ask for advice about lessons and driving

Learning to drive - RT

Try googling "anger management" as that seems to be a more pressing need.

BUT f***ING MCDONALDS DOESN'T PROVIDE ANYTHING. YOU TELL ME WHY I CAN'T GET ANY JOB, you tell me why no other organisations want to hire me

um I do deserve to be on hear and ask advice

You tell me how I can fine a girl that wears that same clothing as my stepsister and my step bros girlfriend.; I know it sounds stupid but they wore a leather jacket which I want my girlfriend to wear as it looked nice on them!

BUT f***ING MCDONALDS DOESN'T PROVIDE ANYTHING. YOU TELL ME WHY I CAN'T GET ANY JOB, you tell me why no other organisations want to hire me

If you have put any of the above carp into a job application, then I for one am glad that any potential colleagues or customers won't have to put up with you.

If you use that language and logic in Public you will soon be out on your ear.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 28/12/2019 at 20:24

Learning to drive - FP

Um... some of the regulars are asking for the thread to be closed.

Please, no! This the is the best entertainment. A troll who actually gets upset when you wind him up.

Sam, keep it up! Keep on with the rubbish so we can enjoy ourselves.

Learning to drive - Bolt

A troll who actually gets upset when you wind him up

Trolls dont get upset when wound up, they love the attention so the less they get the better, dont need the language imo either.

I AM NOT A TROLL

I don't know why people think I am, I actually want to improve my life. Tell me why im a troll you f***ing d*******. Is it because I don't have a girlfriend, still at uni, can't drive

f***ING t***. You live your nice little life because some people don't f***ing have it

Sorry to be a spoilsport, but a majority seem to be in favour of closing this, the bad language being the main problem (whether or not Samuel / Samantha is serious).

And (s)he is STILL using that word as an adverb.