ANY - Bead Breaking - edlithgow

Maybe 30 years since I last did this, and it seems A LOT harder than I remember.

In those distant days I drove onto the deflated tyre, or I used the foot of a bottle jack next to the rim with the weight of the car on the jack.

Not working for me any more, just slips off, so desperate improvisations are called for.

Ethnic bead breaker

bit.ly/33SwLVA

Could have been made for the job. Unfortunately that was a very long time ago, and the wood behind the ploughshare is a bit rotten.

If I had the water buffalo it originally came with, I might be able to get that to stand on the bead, but unfortunately old equipment like this is often incomplete.

TBC

Edited by edlithgow on 18/11/2019 at 03:20

bit.ly/2KvabL6

LONG ACRO lever roped down at the end with inverted axle stand as fulcrum bead-breaker, as recommended by Archimedes for all-terrain.

Rather scarily ustable, and if that rope parts I'm likely to hurt myself, which might be why I couldn't apply enough force to shift it.

Archimedes was perhaps less of a big jessie.

bit.ly/2CSCwqv

No More Mr Nice Guy: I used the old gate leaning against the wall as a ground anchor, with the lock hasp in the end of the tube replacing the inadequate rope, Axle stand the right way up gives less force concentration but is a lot more stable.

Put all my weight on it, with a noticable bend in the ACRO. STILL wouldn't budge. Perhaps I could jack up the car and hang it on the end with the tow rope, but there might be too much stretch.

Thought of putting another inner tube in the other end of the ACRO to extend the lever, No More Mr Sane Guy stylee, but it doesn’t fit.

Tsk. Design Flaw

Edited by edlithgow on 18/11/2019 at 04:09

ANY - Bead Breaking - Bolt

bit.ly/2KvabL6

LONG ACRO lever roped down at the end with inverted axle stand as fulcrum bead-breaker, as recommended by Archimedes for all-terrain.

Rather scarily ustable, and if that rope parts I'm likely to hurt myself, which might be why I couldn't apply enough force to shift it.

Archimedes was perhaps less of a big jessie.

bit.ly/2CSCwqv

No More Mr Nice Guy: I used the old gate leaning against the wall as a ground anchor, with the lock hasp in the end of the tube replacing the inadequate rope, Axle stand the right way up gives less force concentration but is a lot more stable.

Put all my weight on it, with a noticable bend in the ACRO. STILL wouldn't budge. Perhaps I could jack up the car and hang it on the end with the tow rope, but there might be too much stretch.

Thought of putting another inner tube in the other end of the ACRO to extend the lever, No More Mr Sane Guy stylee, but it doesn’t fit.

Tsk. Design Flaw

If you want to use the tyre on another rim you could try(unless you've already tried it) drive the car wheel onto the sidewall and leave it there overnight, on stubborn tyres that method has always worked but I know others have given up before then, always worked for me

if your not keeping/swapping wheels then most people I have seen saw into them to free them off but obviously if your keeping it you wont.

If you want to use the tyre on another rim you could try(unless you've already tried it) drive the car wheel onto the sidewall and leave it there overnight, on stubborn tyres that method has always worked but I know others have given up before then, always worked for me

if your not keeping/swapping wheels then most people I have seen saw into them to free them off but obviously if your keeping it you wont.

Have tried the drive-on method, though hadn't thought of leaving it overnight.

Re-sawing, not sure what I'd saw a tyre with. Hacksaw maybe.

Think this tyre has had it, but its serving as a practice for others I might re-use, so I don't want to use destructive techniques.

Have tried the drive-on method, though hadn't thought of leaving it overnight.

Works usually, my Father in the 1970s had to do that to remove crossply tyres from rims as they used to stick really well to the rims, and very rarely come across a radial that stuck like that (no idea why unless it was the makeup of the rubber?)

check youtube a few use reciprocating saws running slow to cut through, others use 24+ tpi hacksaws, scrapyards used to as well -separating tyres from alloys before scrapping them

never needed to use force other than the wheel on sidewall, by the time ive got back to the car the sidewall beading has separated, luckily...

as an aside the links dont work?

Edited by bolt on 18/11/2019 at 12:14

as an aside the links dont work?

Disappointing. Work for me, which of course isn't much use in context.

I'm trying Google Photos, since the site I used previously seems to have a malware issue.

Google Photos doesn't seem to work at all for displaying images, but I thought it should be OK for links. They are ridiculously long though, so I'm using a link-shortening site. Perhaps that's where the problem lies.

Google Photos also seems to have rather clumsy navigation. Directories/folders have been around for about as long as computers, perhaps before, but for some reason photo-hosting sites seem to insist on inventing a square-wheeled replacement.

Still, its free.

A few years ago I experimented with treating tyres with sunflower oil, as a potential UV/ozone protectant.

Stopped that because there were some indications of absorption and rubber softening.

Infiltration of sunflower oil into the bead area, ( possibly through the rubber on a pressurised tyre) might explain why this tyre seemed especially stubborn (SFO turns into a fairly strong adhesive), but it could just be my lack of practice/skill/weight.

If the links don't work from your end, and the pictures are of interest, there is a parallel thread here, on a Taiwan-based expat site..

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/bead-breaking/185598

A few years ago I experimented with treating tyres with sunflower oil, as a potential UV/ozone protectant.

Stopped that because there were some indications of absorption and rubber softening.

Infiltration of sunflower oil into the bead area, ( possibly through the rubber on a pressurised tyre) might explain why this tyre seemed especially stubborn (SFO turns into a fairly strong adhesive), but it could just be my lack of practice/skill/weight.

If the links don't work from your end, and the pictures are of interest, there is a parallel thread here, on a Taiwan-based expat site..

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/bead-breaking/185598

I have seen worse than that trying to break the bond, your slacking me thinks lol, I doubt the sunflower oil will make any difference, not to that.

ANY - Bead Breaking - Andrew-T

While touring the western States in the mid-60s, I recall watching a husky Caribbean American in heavy boots jumping on a tyre to release the bead. Must be a rare event in this century.

While touring the western States in the mid-60s, I recall watching a husky Caribbean American in heavy boots jumping on a tyre to release the bead. Must be a rare event in this century.

Been on a fairly strict diet due to arterial plaque. Got my BMI down to around 17 (which felt too low).

Around 18 now, so I'd need VERY big boots.

Biological warfare : I have some rather old liquid laundry detergent which seems to have gone off, producing a soapy bacterial (?) slime with brown lumps in it.

Eeuw!

Been using it to clean bike chains, but it seems to work as a tyre lubricant..

bit.ly/2NVDBnO

Worked it in around the rim with a brush and some water, left it to soak for an hour or so, moved the fulcrum a bit, and it finally let go.

Struggle to get it off the rim. Probably couldn't have done it without the crowbar, though I tried everything I had.

bit.ly/37gzRF3

For the other side, I anchored the wheel by putting it back on the car (the wrong way round, for clearance) and it was fairly easy.

bit.ly/2OAt2FZ

One probably wouldn't do that iwith paintwork or a wheel finish one cared about, but I carry neither burden.

Continuing my attempted revival of this lost (to me, anyway) art, demounting a potential replacement tyre from a rather rusty rim using hand-held levers alone (difficult last time) proved impossible.

I tried lowering the car onto the end of the lever/levers. Wouldn't budge.

The eventual fix was one of those screw-jack adjustable feet they use on scaffolding, screwed down through the middle of the wheel, to serve as a central fulcrum for a tyre iron in a tube-lever, rotated laterally.

I put another steell tube over this central post to protect the threads, but they are pretty coa*** (As opposed to fine. The Mary Whitehouse Module's anal obsession, which I CAN apparently type, is showing again) so this probably wasnt really necessary.

I put a polythene bag containing "bioslime" (all rights reserved) over the business end of the tyre lever.

The trick is to stop the whole thing rotating/flipping. Lashing to a palette was too fiddly and not stable enough, so I reverted to the gate used earlier, lashing the tyre down with a crosspiece.

Worked a treat, though the crosspiece was a bit of a nuisance

I thought I'd get the other side off (easy last time) with hand-held levers, but no, so back to the gadget.

This time I sandwiched the gate between another wheel and the potential donor wheel. This of course raised the gate off the ground, but lashing one end to a tree stopped it rotating.

(I'd think in this configuration the screw-jack might also serve as a bead breaking press but havnt tried that yet)

VERY stubborn this time. The lever tube (not as thick-walled as a scaffolding tube, which would have probably been ok) was starting to collapse when the tyre bead iet go.

Bit of a Pyrrhic victory though because the tyre bead was chewed up, probably when I was attempting to shift it with levers alone, and it probably isn't usable unless I put an inner tube in it, which I'd have to get from a dealer and might cost as much as a part-worn tyre.

Edited by edlithgow on 23/11/2019 at 04:34

ANY - Bead Breaking - Andrew-T

The trick is to stop the whole thing rotating/flipping. Lashing to a palette was too fiddly and not stable enough, so I reverted to the gate used earlier, lashing the tyre down with a crosspiece..

Lashing to a palette !? I think you must mean a pallet :-))

The trick is to stop the whole thing rotating/flipping. Lashing to a palette was too fiddly and not stable enough, so I reverted to the gate used earlier, lashing the tyre down with a crosspiece..

Lashing to a palette !? I think you must mean a pallet :-))

Think I must, though I did say it was a "lost art"

Bit of a Pyrrhic victory though because the tyre bead was chewed up,

I did wonder if that would happen, and especially as you said it was stretched on in the first place (was it or just time stuck) But I would've given up and cut it off before now not worth the time and effort to me

But then Ive never had one that didn't come off eventually :-)

Bit of a Pyrrhic victory though because the tyre bead was chewed up,

I did wonder if that would happen, and especially as you said it was stretched on in the first place (was it or just time stuck)

No I didn't.

I'd think the rusty rim and age might have been fatal factors for this tyre.

IF I'd used the gadget straight off, I MIGHT have saved the tyre, BUT t I hadn't evolved the gadget then, and maybe the tyre wasn't worth saving.

IF it wasn't, it was an appropriately expendable test case, (and perhaps worst case too).

It cost me a bit of time and temper but I learned something that might be useful, so I'm mildly pleased.

Come to think on't I've never had one that didn't come off eventually either, though I havn't tried it many times.

No joy refitting that tyre. I tried a couple of G-clamps on the rim to keep one side down, and when it became obvious I wasn't getting it back on with tyre levers alone, I tried a jack tensioning a rope around the tyre on the opposite side.

This, along with hammering hardwood down on the bead, (lubricated with sunflower oil), got me a bit closer to on, but not close enough. Can't think of any clever tricks likely to get there.

That tyre is very stiff. I'll try the bulged one, which isn't, later. If I can't get that back on either its probably just my poor technique.

looks like I'll have to break down and pay someone.

THE HORROR

No joy refitting that tyre. I tried a couple of G-clamps on the rim to keep one side down, and when it became obvious I wasn't getting it back on with tyre levers alone, I tried a jack tensioning a rope around the tyre on the opposite side.

This, along with hammering hardwood down on the bead, (lubricated with sunflower oil), got me a bit closer to on, but not close enough. Can't think of any clever tricks likely to get there.

That tyre is very stiff. I'll try the bulged one, which isn't, later. If I can't get that back on either its probably just my poor technique.

THE HORROR

If the bead is at the bottom of the wheel well and it still wont stretch over the rim they must have used a proper tyre machine to do it, even at the risk of breaking the bead though usually the rubber strips instead rendering the tyre useless so its risky either way

THE HORROR

If the bead is at the bottom of the wheel well and it still wont stretch over the rim they must have used a proper tyre machine to do it, even at the risk of breaking the bead though usually the rubber strips instead rendering the tyre useless so its risky either way

Thanks. Think this tyre has had it anyway, since I damaged the bead trying to get it off with levers alone, before I thought of THE GADGET (scaffolding screw-jack footing).,

Its old and stiff, so I'm really just using it to develop a method rather than destroy a good tyre guddling about.. IF it'd gone on OK I might have used it to go through inspection, now due again, but I'd still have had to buy a better one

Punk-technology update:Current implementation of THE GADGET uses a standard scaffolding foot-board (dunno what the official name for those is) with the screw-jack going through it at one end, then through an old wheel (for height) then finally through the wheel being worked on.

The screw-jack holds everything together pretty firmly, you can stand on the footboard for added stability, and I'm currently using it to anchor a jack used as a puller (a ratched strap would probably work for this but mine are all lost or broken).

Seems to work quite well, and could probably be enhanced with the addition of a bead-breaker fairly easily.

These scaffolding bits are AFAIK, fairly standardised components that are widely available.

THE HORROR

I got the bulged-but-not-so-stiff tyre back on, though it was a bit of a struggle and I did take a couple of chunks out of the bead by over-levering.

The old screw jack from my last car (Ford Sierra) failed, so i used a ratchet strap. For the first bead I put a polythene sheet over the wheel, which seemed to help. Didn't do that for the second bead because I thought it would get stuck inside the tyre, but I probably should have.

Now just have to get it seated. Tried the strap tightened around the circumference and the "explosive" method, with butane, WD40, and carb cleaner. These all produced quite a bit of flame but no explosions.

Gunpowder?

All this hassle is a bit puzzling. I can remember sometime in the 80's putting a couple of remoulds on the front of my Renault 5 in the street, armed only with a couple of tyre irons, in an hour or two.

This time around its taken days, I've had to invent new technologies, and I STILL can't do it. I don't remember any trouble getting them seated either, though I MIGHT have used inner tubes, which I did sometimes in those days.

Maybe tyres were softer in those days (like policement were older), but the internyet is awash with videos of people gently massaging them on with thier knees.

Knees my a***. I'd have to be some kind of bionic transformer.

It could be partly a Taiwan thing, since I'll bet no one is DIY fitting car tyres in Taiwan (farmers MIGHT do truck and tractors sometimes) and the rubber probably hardens quicker in this climate.

ANY - Bead Breaking - FP

Every time I see the title of this thread my eyes deceive me and I read "Bread Baking".

It happens every time and when I click on it I am so disappointed.

Every time I see the title of this thread my eyes deceive me and I read "Bread Baking".

It happens every time and when I click on it I am so disappointed.

Hopefully now you've confessed, you'll be able to break that habit.

If not, you could try hitting your clicking finger with a brick. Pain works.

Or even (bit extreme, but.).perhaps you could reduce the chances of such disappoointment by not looking for cooking tips on a technical automotive forum.

ANY - Bead Breaking - FP

"Hopefully now you've confessed, you'll be able to break that habit.

If not, you could try hitting your clicking finger with a brick. Pain works.

Or even (bit extreme, but.).perhaps you could reduce the chances of such disappoointment by not looking for cooking tips on a technical automotive forum."

Oh dear.