Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - brambobb

I would be interested to hear what extra price people are paying for using V Power rather than regular fuel. When it was first introduced V Power (near me) was 3 or 4 pence a litre more than the standard Fuelsave but that seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

For the last few months the average premium at the Shell stations has been around 11 or 12 pence. However I recently came across one with a difference of 14 pence, but then found a station on the A64 a few miles west of Scarborough which was only 8 pence more.

I filled up today on the A64 approaching Leeds and was staggered to find a difference of 17 pence (1.459 against 1.289). Is this a record?

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - Ethan Edwards

Nope that ties up with what I found a fortnight ago. U/L 1.219 at a Supermarket in Chelmsford vs 1.399 at Shell in Marks Tey. From my point of view yes I got 12pct more mpg but the cost per mile was almost exactly the same. So I may buy a tankful once a year for the cleansing additives but it's back to the supermarket meths.

This was on my 1.4t Vitara 4wd Auto. Your experience may differ.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - S40 Man

Presumably enough people are? I've got an astra k 1.6 turbo add occasionally use high octane fuel but I couldn't really tell the difference. In truth I think it's more fur the benefit of the driver (ego) rather than the car.

TBH I haven't noticed any significant difference in mpg but as a follower of HJ who extols the benefits of V Power every single week I have used it regularly.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - Andrew-T

I only get 10 or 20 litres about every tenth fill, as I find my diesel engine clearly likes it. Last time I think the premium was about 10p/litre so I am paying £1 or £2 for the benefit. Much the same as buying a bottle of conditioner.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - madf

I keep detailed records - manually and Fuelly - and even three successive tank fills of VPower saw zero difference in mpg and driveability..

So I stopped wasting my money...

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - V4 Heaven

My experience too.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - craig-pd130

I've found a similar price range around here (South Manchester / Cheshire) - at some stations, V-Power is 9 or 10p more, and like you found, I've seen it up to 16p more than the standard petrol or diesel offerings.

The most cost-effective 99 octane petrol is Tesco Momentum, which is usually only 5p per litre more than standard Tesco unleaded. So if your turbo car does benefit from a high-octane brew, that's usually the cheapest option.

Although I believe that the engine management systems in modern cars is so good these days that the power difference is virtually unnoticeable. When Fifth Gear last did a fuel comparison in a hot turbo Golf on a dyno (about 3 years ago), V-Power gave 5.1bhp more than Asda unleaded (240.9 vs 235.8bhp). OK, at 9p per litre, that's a cheap 5bhp, but whether you'd actually notice the extra 2.15% power difference on the road is debatable.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - oldroverboy.

Ethan,

Shell seem to be charging us Essex "kids" extra.

15 or 16 pence a litre is silly, when others such as BP don't have such a differential and sainsburys premium and Tescos are about halfway between. Asda only sell basic grade, but that is what the car gets if that is where i am when I notice or fuel light comes on.

Now, if i near a Tesco, it'll get momentum.

But I have noticed the engine does run smoother on "premium" of whatever type.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - dadbif
I use Tesco momentum in my Mk1 MX5 solely to avoid pinking because it’s supercharged, They ran out on one occasion last year and I had to put in a tank full of Shell, it pinked on a few occasions. Now safely back on Momentum.
Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - Manatee

Ethan,

Shell seem to be charging us Essex "kids" extra.

15 or 16 pence a litre is silly, when others such as BP don't have such a differential and sainsburys premium and Tescos are about halfway between. Asda only sell basic grade, but that is what the car gets if that is where i am when I notice or fuel light comes on.

Now, if i near a Tesco, it'll get momentum.

But I have noticed the engine does run smoother on "premium" of whatever type.

The nomenclature is confusing. Premium is 95.

V-Power etc is 97/98/99 usually but the big difference with the 'superfuels' is supposedly the additive pack. With 2 direct injection petrol engines in the household I have been using V-Power. DI engines have a tendency to coke up the back of the inlet valves and the fuel can't actually clean that up as it doesn't go through the inlet tract. But if it burns more completely (maybe because the combustion chambers and injectors are cleaner?) then there might be slightly less crud in the recycled exhaust gases and the crankcase-vented gas that is funnelled back into the intake, hence less accretion. Who knows?

Tesco says "Momentum 99 contains a special blend of additives to help keep the fuel system clean and working at its best". So Momentum might be the poor man's V-Power - I'll give it a try.

I'd also noticed the V-Power differential price getting higher. The lowest I have seen was at the Shell station at Stretton-on-Fosse, a few miles north of Moreton in Marsh which was 6p dearer than the premium 95. Trouble is I am rarely within range!

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - thunderbird

When we got the Pulsar 1.6 DIG-T we thought it best to run it on premium petrol with the turbo and performance but after a few months decided to try the ordinary stuff. Well we are disappointed to say the least, what a waste of money. The car is doing exactly the same calculated mpg on the cheapo fuel as the expensive stuff and on the road it feels no different.

That is comparing Tesco 95 with Tesco 99 which is about 5p a litre more.

... we are disappointed to say the least, what a waste of money. The car is doing exactly the same calculated mpg on the cheapo fuel as the expensive stuff and on the road it feels no different.That is comparing Tesco 95 with Tesco 99 which is about 5p a litre more.

I have seen very few reports claiming any improvement in mpg, but several claiming better running. I am one of the latter, who hears a noticeable smoothness in (diesel) engine noise within minutes of adding V-power.

Edited by Andrew-T on 18/11/2019 at 18:00

What I suspect to be happening with the expensive station I found yesterday in Leeds is that, because it is quite near an Asda supermarket, they have to be more competitive in price for the standard Fuelsave but they are trying to claw it back by not reducing the V Power price, which they show only on the pumps and not on the displays outside the station.

Regarding Tesco Momentum fuel I think someone asked HJ about that fairly recently and, if I recall correctly, he felt that the additives were less effective than those in V Power. Another HJ suggestion somewhere is that it is better to stay with a single brand of premium fuel rather than mix with the premium brands from the other companies (BP/Esso/Texaco etc).

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - Engineer Andy

... we are disappointed to say the least, what a waste of money. The car is doing exactly the same calculated mpg on the cheapo fuel as the expensive stuff and on the road it feels no different.That is comparing Tesco 95 with Tesco 99 which is about 5p a litre more.

I have seen very few reports claiming any improvement in mpg, but several claiming better running. I am one of the latter, who hears a noticeable smoothness in (diesel) engine noise within minutes of adding V-power.

It does seem to vary between cars and fuel from supermarkets and branded filling stations. I think, even with 99Ron from Tesco, they still have less (and not so good) additives than in the likes of 98Ron from Shell and similar from BP, Texaco and Esso.

On my Mazda3 1.6 petrol (no turbo) from 2005, I might get 2mpg more on Shell V-Power, but then I suspect that maybe just the cleaning effect of the additives, which I can get for half the price with a bigger bottle (4 dose) of Redex when it's on sale in Halfords. My car gets no better mpg on supermarket superunleaded. Maybe my car doesn't have a knock sensor, or it was never designed for higher octane fuels and thus can't take advantage of them.

For more modern cars, especially higher performance models and diesels generally, particularly where the car is mainly used for urban work and/or short trips ffrom cold, HJ's advice to use superfuels is sound. I only need to make use of the cleaning effect once at year at most as my usage pattern is mostly longer trips at decent speeds, so less coking up, and my car is a port-injected petrol engine.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - groaver

I think, even with 99Ron from Tesco, they still have less (and not so good) additives than in the likes of 98Ron from Shell and similar from BP, Texaco and Esso.

Pedant's point. Shell V-Power is actually 99Ron:

https://support.shell.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115002792532-What-is-Octane-

I've saw a few quotes of it being 98Ron recently.

Still expensive no matter the rating!

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - Ethan Edwards

Yep. But as I said I'm not buying it anymore on a regular basis. Not with S**nsb***s in Springfield selling u/l at 1.219 Filled up there this evening. I did try to be consistent when I was doing the comparison. Using cruise control as much as possible and testing over 250 miles on each tankful.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - edlithgow

Although I believe that the engine management systems in modern cars is so good these days that the power difference is virtually unnoticeable.

This doesn't seem to make sense. A sophisticated EMS would be more likely to be able to exploit a higher octane fuel, mostly by dynamically altering the ignition timing.

I embarrassed myself a while ago by rubbishing a friends claimed improvement from higher than recommended octane, (I think on a Subaru Forrester) then realised I was parroting the "old school" story. A modern car might well be able to do this.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - Engineer Andy

Although I believe that the engine management systems in modern cars is so good these days that the power difference is virtually unnoticeable.

This doesn't seem to make sense. A sophisticated EMS would be more likely to be able to exploit a higher octane fuel, mostly by dynamically altering the ignition timing.

I embarrassed myself a while ago by rubbishing a friends claimed improvement from higher than recommended octane, (I think on a Subaru Forrester) then realised I was parroting the "old school" story. A modern car might well be able to do this.

Such systems appear to vary in the difference they make - when I've used branded super unleaded whilst on holiday (1000 miles+), I've not really noticed any difference in my 2005 Mazda3's responsiveness / performance. At best, the mpg goes up by 2 compared to using regular fuel. It's why I dropped it and use injector cleaner additives like Redex instead - far cheaper for the benefit conveyed.

For performance cars, however, superfuels seem to make far more of a noticeable difference to performance as well as mpg / system cleaning.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - CHarkin

Ive given up even looking at the price I just fill up and go pay the bill. If I paid too much attention it may put me off using it and I do believe its better for my car than regular.

Anyone using V-Power thinking it will save them money by better fuel economy I suspect is going to be disappointed. I use it because I believe it will improve the reliability and durability of my VAG diesel engine. It must burn more cleanly and produce less soot because the frequency of active DPF regenerations decreased noticeably ( monitored using OBD port ) and subjectively the car seems to run better. Add to that the claimed extra lubrication it gives to injectors and the high pressure fuel pump. If it keeps my emissions system working it top condition Im happy to pay for it.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - craig-pd130

Ive given up even looking at the price I just fill up and go pay the bill. If I paid too much attention it may put me off using it and I do believe its better for my car than regular.

As the old joke puts it: "I don't know why people moan about fuel prices, it's always been a tenner hasn't it?"

Do we all remember the days when petrol came with Green Shield stamps, and some people used extra fuel travelling further to get the extra stamps? :-)

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - FP

I remember it well. I remember also petrol being 4/11d per gallon.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - Dag Hammar

Wow, you must be even older than I am. When I bought my first car, petrol was 6 / 8d per gallon. That was a nice figure because three gallons worked out to precisely £1. The pump attendant had to be alert though and ensure he released the trigger just as £1 appeared in the pump display.

Pump attendants heh, a long gone species. They often asked if you wanted a shot of Redex in the tank to accompany your fuel. Happy days.

Edited by Dag Hammar on 19/11/2019 at 13:17

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - ExA35Owner

You could fill the tank for a pound note......

In 1964 SWMBO and I did 3500 miles touring the western States for the equivalent of about 20 quid .... but of course US fuel cost less than bottled water in Las Vegas.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - thunderbird

Really. Surely the tank held more than 4 gallons. That is based on 20 shillings to the pound.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - Theophilus

I get a sense of deja-vu every time another thread on this issue comes up ... but frustratingly still can't stop myself reading them!

I share the disbelief that the premium charged for V-Power is compensated by improved mileage ... I've never found any improvement (referring to the diesel fuel now).

My other gripe is that the price of V-Power diesel never seems to be clearly advertised, so I don't know how much the premium will be until I lift the fuel nozzle from the pump - its been 16 pence more than standard "premium" fuel at my local Shell every time I've weakened and allowed myself to be tempted ... and yet in France the premium for Total excellium ("super" diesel) is generally only 6 centimes - less than 6p per litre. If it were not for HJ's regular endorsements of V-Power how many of us, not driving supercars, would ever think twice about which fuel to buy?

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - Terry W

There seems to be no convincing evidence either way. So increasing your fuel costs by 10%+ is either based on:

• personal experience of improved mpg, driveability etc, none of which can be unambiguously generally proven
  • simple, somewhat naive, belief in the claims of the oil companies

The usual observations about status, ego, snobbery, etc etc do not hold true. Unlike most goods promoted on the basis of brand no one can see, hear or smell what you have in the tank, so it is not evident that there is anything different about the car

Personally if I can't see or feel the difference I feel disinclined to waste the hard earned. Like, many "premium" products, the premium paid is disproportionate to the (questionable) benefits and is a simple way of maximising income and profit from naive punters.

Like, many "premium" products, the premium paid is disproportionate to the (questionable) benefits and is a simple way of maximising income and profit from naive punters.

We-e-e-ell, maybe. If the (unidentified) additives put in V-power or other 'premium' fuels have been scientifically shown to make an engine run more cleanly, it is difficult to argue that using the fuel is a waste of money, especially if some of the cost may be recouped from lower maintenance cost at the next or subsequent MoTs.

... increasing your fuel costs by 10%+ is either based on:

• personal experience of improved mpg, driveability etc, none of which can be unambiguously generally proven
  • simple, somewhat naive, belief in the claims of the oil companies

The usual observations about status, ego, snobbery, etc etc do not hold true...

Personally if I can't see or feel the difference I feel disinclined to waste the hard earned. Like, many "premium" products, the premium paid is disproportionate to the (questionable) benefits and is a simple way of maximising income and profit from naive punters.

Long term, engine cleanlinessness can matter - experience won't tell you whether you are getting what you paid for unless you wait years, then take the engine to bits.

Super-diesel was worth having, according to a fuel chemist friend who knew what went into them. He commuted to Rotterdam by car//ferry and always used V-power diesel or whatever it was called at the time. Unfortunately he died several years ago when the price premium was about half what it is now. I suppose there must be a point at which enogh is enough. It certainly kept the injectors cleaner on my last pre-DPF car, judging by the smoke.

My last couple of diesel fills have been at Costco, who sell what they call 'premium diesel' at £1.239 per litre IIRC. The word 'premium' of course means very little. They also sell only 97 RON 'premium' petrol. Both are described as having cleaning additives, but I thought all fuel does anyway.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - 72 dudes

.They also sell only 97 RON 'premium' petrol. Both are described as having cleaning additives, but I thought all fuel does anyway.

That's the thing isn't it?

All fuel conforming to whatever the British Standard is contains some kind of additive which cleans.

Reading back over these posts it seems as though many believe that Momentum has better cleaning additives than 95 RON but maybe not as good as the ones in branded 98 RON, and definitely not as good as Shell V Power.

Have a word with yourselves, you're a Marketing Mans's dream!!

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - corax

.They also sell only 97 RON 'premium' petrol. Both are described as having cleaning additives, but I thought all fuel does anyway.

That's the thing isn't it?

All fuel conforming to whatever the British Standard is contains some kind of additive which cleans.

If all fuels contained an additive that cleans then blocked injectors must be a myth.

Additives and additives possibly.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - sammy1

It's about time Which or a similar body put this to bed. I have never bought the premium fuel in 50 years of driving and many different cars and never had any problems although never had a Ferrari or RR!

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - gordonbennet

Seems about the time to link this thread once more, it's not premium fuels tested it was Miller's Diesel fuel treatment.

The photos have been opaqued by Photobucket but are still visible enough to give you the gist.

Its the only independent lab test, by a very reputable company in the engine/vehicle research and fitment industry, that i've seen of any fuel or additive designed for more power and/or system cleaning.

forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/millers-die.../

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - dervdave

I use it because I believe it will improve the reliability and durability of my VAG diesel engine. It must burn more cleanly and produce less soot because the frequency of active DPF regenerations decreased noticeably ( monitored using OBD port ) and subjectively the car seems to run better. Add to that the claimed extra lubrication it gives to injectors and the high pressure fuel pump. If it keeps my emissions system working it top condition Im happy to pay for it.

My sentiments exactly !

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - Mike H

Not directly comparable I know, but here in Austria where I live the cost of 95 octane at the local Jet garage is currently around €1.20 per litre, and the 98 is only 8c per litre dearer. It's a different market from the UK, with diesel being the cheapest fuel at around €1.17 - that's £1 per litre in real money :-)

I used to use the super (98) in our old Saab Aero, as it was turbocharged and chipped. Saab recommended the higher octane for the standard car alone. Accepted wisdom was that the fuel consumption was around 10% better on the 98, but I never conducted any real tests, scientific or otherwise.

Edited by Mike H on 21/11/2019 at 09:18

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - Big John

My Superb 1.4tsi runs better on higher octane petrol and if you are driving on a summers day with the windows down you can hear distant sound of pinking when going uphill and using 95 RON - I always thought that if making that noise it's not ultimately doing the engine much good. You can't hear the noise usually though as the soundproofing is too good. So as a rule I try to use higher Octane petrol - usually Tesco 99 ron which is only 5p litre extra.

I've found you also have to watch out in France now as well - many of the 95 pumps now seem to be E10(not all) but the higher octane ones are E5.

However I used to use Spritmonitor to keep an eye on my mpg (got bored after a while!) and there seems to be no real difference in economy between 95 & 99 ron petrol.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - skidpan

My Superb 1.4tsi runs better on higher octane petrol and if you are driving on a summers day with the windows down you can hear distant sound of pinking when going uphill and using 95 RON

As regulars will know we bought our first 1.4 TSi 140 PS in June 2013, almost 10 years ago, it was a Seat Leon. That was replaced in March 2017 by a Skoda Superb with the 1.4 TSi 150 PS and now we have a Superb PHEV bought in October 2020 which is also fitted with the 1.4 TSi engine.

In those 10 years I have never heard any pinking and I have only used 95 RON petrol since inside the filler cap on all the cars it said:

Unleaded petrol min. 95 RON / ROZ

In the manual it clearly states that for cars with that inside the fuel filler:

Use min.95 RON petrol.

In an emergency petrol 91, 92 or 93 RON can be used (slight loss, a slightly increased fuel consumption)

No mention of using super unleaded at all other than saying:

Unleaded petrol that has a higher octane number than that required by the engine can be used without limitations.

Since all modern cars are fitted with knock sensors the engine management should stop pinking occurring. If yours is pinking there is clearly a fault. It needs going to a garage to be sorted.

Last car I had that pinked under certain conditions such as after a long motorway drive was a 1985 Golf and that had a clockwork distributor and used leaded petrol. All that required was the distributor sorting.

Since all modern cars are fitted with knock sensors the engine management should stop pinking occurring. If yours is pinking there is clearly a fault. It needs going to a garage to be sorted.

There is no fault - to be honest it's probably because it's fitted with anti knock sensors. Modern car engine management systems advance the timing etc to the limit to maximise economy/performance although this varies between manufacturers. I could hear a very slight distant pink with previous Octavia (NA 1.4 petrol) and current Superb 1.4tsi up a very steep hill with windows down (usually in France). Under normal driving you wouldn't detect this. It's not like the old days of a heavy rattle if your ignition timing was astray. To be honest no one else would be able to hear it, especially as the recent cars are so well soundproofed. I also think some of the French cheap supermarket petrol wasn't the best.

I used to tune Ford engines and adapt for different star petrol types so became rather familiar with the sound and manually set the timing right on the limit. It was at a time when the UK was moving from 2,3,4,5 star petrol types to just 2,4 star - all leaded then!

However my Superb drives better with higher octane petrol such as Tesco Greenenergy and it's still E5. You pays your money you takes your choice. Conversely it makes no difference whatsoever in Mrs BJ's 1.2 Panda.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - galileo

I use Shell V power each third fill and can only comment that at almost 14 years old and 85000 miles, the Lambda reading this year was 0.999, last year and previous tests between 1.001 and 0.999, so the claimed cleaning additives seem to be doing a good job on the i30.

For the mileage I do now the price is affordable, it does seem to run slightly better too than on E10 .

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - RT

I use Shell V power each third fill and can only comment that at almost 14 years old and 85000 miles, the Lambda reading this year was 0.999, last year and previous tests between 1.001 and 0.999, so the claimed cleaning additives seem to be doing a good job on the i30.

For the mileage I do now the price is affordable, it does seem to run slightly better too than on E10 .

The Lambda reading simply confirms that the system is adjusting the air:fuel ratio correctly - it doesn't tell you anything about the "cleanliness" of the engine, or otherwise.

All road fuel sold in Europe has to have the minimum cleaning additive specification - no fuel brand publishes their specification so no way of knowing if it's really any better.

There is no fault - to be honest it's probably because it's fitted with anti knock sensors.

So you are blaming the knock sensor for the pinking? How does that work, when operating correctly the knock sensors job is to prevent pinking? As I said earlier you must have a fault.

There is no fault - to be honest it's probably because it's fitted with anti knock sensors.

So you are blaming the knock sensor for the pinking? How does that work, when operating correctly the knock sensors job is to prevent pinking? As I said earlier you must have a fault.

I think the knock sensor allows the engine to advance the ignition to just short of pinking but I think I hear that - it's not like the out and out rattle some of us would have been used to back in the day. I don't think I have a fault it's just me being over sensitive and it's only briefly when going up very steep hills indeed and you can't hear with the windows up. Car has now done 111k miles with no issue or any oil burning, it performs well and can do 50mpg on a run. I've heard this on both my Skoda petrol cars over the past two decades (I don't change cars very often) - usually going up the same steep high sided road in the Dordogne where we have been many times.

However I'll give up at this point.

Edited by Big John on 10/04/2023 at 18:09

I've heard this on both my Skoda petrol cars over the past two decades (I don't change cars very often) - usually going up the same steep high sided road in the Dordogne where we have been many times.

We have had 4 TSi cars now over the past decade and heard pinking on none of them and have only used 95 RON petrol (mostly Tesco).

Not scientific but enough proof for me.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - Ana William

Fuel prices can vary greatly depending on location, supply and demand, taxes, and other factors. The premium you pay for using V Power or any other high-performance fuel will also depend on these factors as well as the specific policies of the gas station or fuel company. It's not uncommon for premium fuels to cost significantly more than regular unleaded gasoline, with a price difference of 10 to 20 cents per gallon or more. It's always a good idea to compare prices at different gas stations and consider factors such as fuel quality and your vehicle's needs before deciding on which fuel to purchase.

It's always a good idea to compare prices at different gas stations and consider factors such as fuel quality and your vehicle's needs before deciding on which fuel to purchase.

Fuel in the UK is normally cheapest at supermarkets so not much checking to do, simply use the most convenient, we normally fuel when we shop.

Regarding quality all fuel sold in the UK has to meet the relevant BSEN standards so again no checking needed. There are only 2 types of petrol sold, the super which is 95 RON minimum and contains a maximum of 10% ethanol and premium which is between 97 and 99 RON depending on brand and contains a maximum of 5% ethanol.

Round these parts E10 petrol costs between £1.417 a litre (Asda) and £1.519 a litre (Shell) which is approx 46 pence a UK gallon. About 50% of petrol sold is bought from Supermarkets.

Some claim Supermarket fuel is substandard but since all fuel is delivered from the same distribution depots regardless of of its destination that is clearly nonsense. Anyway, if it was 50% of UK petrol cars would be regularly breaking down. We have used supermarket fuel pretty much all the time for almost 40 years now and not had an issue.

<< Round these parts E10 petrol costs between £1.417 a litre (Asda) and £1.519 a litre (Shell) which is approx 46 pence a UK gallon. About 50% of petrol sold is bought from Supermarkets >>

I have to assume your '46 pence' represents the price difference between a gallon of E5 and E10 ? I would only ask 'So what ?' :-)

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - Xileno

The price difference between E10 supermarket compared to non-supermarket. The 46p difference would be £5-50 to fill my car - better off in my pocket than someone else's.

<< Round these parts E10 petrol costs between £1.417 a litre (Asda) and £1.519 a litre (Shell) which is approx 46 pence a UK gallon. About 50% of petrol sold is bought from Supermarkets >>

I have to assume your '46 pence' represents the price difference between a gallon of E5 and E10 ? I would only ask 'So what ?' :-)

The 46 pence a gallon is the difference between E10 from Asda and Shell.

E5 is 10 pence a litre more at Tesco and Morrisons so I would assume its no less than 10 pence a litre more at Shell. That would make E5 at Shell 91 pence a litre more than E10 at Asda, they are less than a mile apart. The £9.10 extra for 10 gallons is a crazy price to pay.

Just as an aside some years ago on my way home from work I was calling at Asda for fuel. I passed the Shell station and a tanker pulled out just in front of me. I followed that tanker to Asda where he pulled into the area where they fill the underground tanks. It was a plain white tanker that was obviously servicing both sites. So much for Shell be better fuel.

<< The 46 pence a gallon is the difference between E10 from Asda and Shell. >>

Yes, sorry, I wasn't thinking. I was just wondering where the gallon came into the calculations, I gave up using them years ago .... The saving on a tankful is the same even if you calculate in pints, and the tank in my car takes 50 litres. Simples.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - Falkirk Bairn

Local garage used to sell Shell - Always around 4 p dearer per litre than the about 100 yards away. For years I bought Shell V-power and the premium was around 8p per litre.

A few months back they changed to BP, again 4/5 p more than Tesco. However it was only after I put in £40 worth of E5 did I notice the £1.45 for E10 and £1,70 for the premium E5.

25p extra - I won't be back.

Buying Costco, Esso in the main Costco is 5p extra for E5, Esso was 12p the last time IIRC

However it was only after I put in £40 worth of E5 did I notice the £1.45 for E10 and £1,70 for the premium E5.

Can there be a conspiracy to persuade drivers to use E10 ? My petrol car is 32 years old and should really stick to E5 to retard aging of the fuel pipework - so we are told.

I use V-power diesel occasionally because the engine persuades me that it prefers it.

Near me:-

Tesco 95RON/E10 is 145.9p and Tesco Greenenergy 99 RON/E5 is 152.9p so 7p litre difference for E5.

Asda 95RON/E10 is 145.7p

Shell 95RON/E10 is 149.9p and Shell Vpower 99RON/E5 is 163.9p so 14p litre difference for E5.

Haven't bought Shell Vpower in a while!

My petrol car is 32 years old and should really stick to E5 to retard aging of the fuel pipework - so we are told

My Caterham is 30 years old. The petrol pipes have been replaced over the years as engines have been changed and then the change to fuel injection and as a result a vast majority of the pipework is 100% E10 compliant high spec Mocal TFE hose. But 2 short runs between the swirl pot and filter and filter and injection pump are still traditional cotton braided rubber simply because its not physically possible to get the much stiffer TFE hose in. The rubber hose I use is Cohline brand which is supposed to be E10 compliant thus should be OK but I also need to consider the seals in the fuel pumps. One pump is now over 30 years old and the other only about 6 years old but since its American I have no real info to confirm if its OK. As a result of this I will continue to use E5 petrol for the foreseeable future for the following reason.

Back in 2004 I fitted fuel injection and for those 2 awkward pipes I used braised hose form a well known national supplier of car parts. At that time there was no concerns about E10, not sure if "normal" petrol was even E5, all that was stated was the hoses were fully compatible with unleaded petrol. Well they were, for 3 years and then they suddenly cracked and resulted in a huge petrol leak whilst I was driving. Luckily the exhaust was on the opposite side of the car, if it hadn't of been I might not be typing this today.

Not taking any risks again, replace the Cohline every 5 years regardless of what they say.

Also use E5 in our mower, that is over 30 years old and don't want to knacker that up.

Any - Shell V Power Price Premium - madf

I use E5 in mower and back up generator.

Just had to replace generator hoses after 5 years - burst.. Fiddly PIA