OBDII Bluetooth Scan Tools - Metropolis.
Hi everyone,

I’m on the lookout for a cheap(ish) scan tool that will connect to an app on my iphone via bluetooth. In other words it uses your phone screen as the scan tool interface. I have a very late Rover v8 (2004) which is OBDII compliant and, this being an engine notorious for slipped liners, I want to be able to keep an eye on coolant temp or at least intermittently monitor it. I would rather not go down the route of a separate gauge glued to the dash and all the associated wiring that entails. I have seen android apps that can be set to alert you if it goes over a certain temp, but i’m on IOS. If it’s reading too high i will probably buy a lower thermostat from an earlier iteration of the v8, but seeing as it is a Jap import it may already have the lower temp thermostat fitted from factory..

Has anyone got a recommendation please?
OBDII Bluetooth Scan Tools - elekie&a/c doctor
Plenty of cheap Bluetooth devices out there for less than £10 . Remember they only give basic engine data. Take a look on flea bay. What Rover V8 car do you have?
Thanks, i’ve seen plenty but finding one with an IOS app is a bit harder.

Discovery 2 HSE 4.0 v8 Auto, sold new in Japan in 2004 and brought back to UK last year. don’t know what the Japanese do with their cars, but it’s like it hasn’t been sat in!
OBDII Bluetooth Scan Tools - elekie&a/c doctor
May be easier just to buy a hard wired Obd tester. At least it will power up from the socket .
Yes I may do this, or save up for a Hawkeye Total..
OBDII Bluetooth Scan Tools - gordonbennet
Thanks, i’ve seen plenty but finding one with an IOS app is a bit harder. Discovery 2 HSE 4.0 v8 Auto, sold new in Japan in 2004 and brought back to UK last year. don’t know what the Japanese do with their cars, but it’s like it hasn’t been sat in!

No road salt, clean country, people take care of their vehicles.

Funnily enough i was admiring an S reg 90 series Toyota Prado (Colorado here) this morning that a chap turned up in, its probably not been in the country for long and looked and sounded like a 4 year old vehicle, alloy wheels looking good original finish no doubt due to not having an annual and usually pointless salt bath for 4 months.

OBDII Bluetooth Scan Tools - CHarkin

I have been in the same position and gave up looking. Ended up buying a very cheap used android phone with a slight crack in the screen. It works great and I just keep it in the car all the time.

There is a big difference in the OBD bluetooth devices, some are rubbish. I have had three over the last few years and the best is a VGate i Car Pro, its fast and it goes on standby with ingniton off so you can leave it plugged in permanently without it draining the battery.

Edited by CHarkin on 31/10/2019 at 19:41