Why can't I check someones car insurance online? - gooddriver

You can legally look up any cars MOT & Road Tax but not insurance.

On the insurance site it warns you that it is a data protection act offence if you

try to look up a cars insurance that you are not responsible for. Then there is another page that allows you to look up ins if involved in accident or similar. The information you get is very basic ie not the drivers details/address etc but name of ins co. So why is this?

Link to insurance check site.

https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

TIA

Why can't I check someones car insurance online? - SLO76
Didn’t know it did give you the insurance company details either, i thought it was only telling you whether the vehicle is insured or not (it’s not accurate either as it takes up to two weeks to show if you stop a policy) but I can understand why it wouldn’t give personal details away, it would be madness to let aggrieved people look up addresses etc.

Sorry, my mistake as you are correct that it does not even give you the name of the insurance co. I don't want to know the name/address/etc of the driver/owner but my question is that you can legally look up any car for tax and mot but not insurance, why not?

IMHO, if you could look up a car with no insurance, you could be saving all of us road legal drivers a lot of money as in my experience most of those without insurance usually have no tax/licence etc.

Several years ago a woman from across the road left her car parked outside our house for a couple of weeks when he another car. I checked road tax and it was not, reported it and within a couple of days it was clamped.

Why can't I check someones car insurance online? - SLO76
“ IMHO, if you could look up a car with no insurance, you could be saving all of us road legal drivers a lot of money”

You can though, just put the reg no into askmid and it’ll tell you if the car in question is insured or not.

Edited by SLO76 on 22/10/2019 at 08:53

Why can't I check someones car insurance online? - oldroverboy.
“ IMHO, if you could look up a car with no insurance, you could be saving all of us road legal drivers a lot of money” You can though, just put the reg no into askmid and it’ll tell you if the car in question is insured or not.

There is the option to Pay...

Why can't I check someones car insurance online? - retgwte

the motor insurance database is always slightly out of date, as it takes a while for policy changes to ripple through from each insurers systems.

that plus the fact its perfectly easy to insure a car on a day by day basis, ie some insurance companies will let you ring up and insure a specific reg number for that day or week, and such short term insurance will mostly be finished before it even made it to the motor insurance database...

so not showing on the insurance database is not conclusive proof that the car is not insured

Why can't I check someones car insurance online? - CHarkin

Road tax and MOT are attached to the car while insurance is attached to the driver. Its the driver who is insured not the car and thats when the data protection kicks in.

Why can't I check someones car insurance online? - Andrew-T

Road tax and MOT are attached to the car while insurance is attached to the driver. Its the driver who is insured not the car and thats when the data protection kicks in.

Yes, but a policy refers to a particular vehicle. In just the same way as checking a vehicle's MoT history, one could check whether it is insured. You don't need to know who by or for.

Why can't I check someones car insurance online? - Bromptonaut

TBH I think most people would check the DP box anyway, whether they were entitled to or not. Recall doing so about two years ago when a car was being 'lifted' outside the office. It was indeed uninsured.

Why can't I check someones car insurance online? - Ethan Edwards

Surely freely dishing out peoples names and addresses along with details of who they purchased their car insurance from is directly contrary to the GDPR regulations. Let me remind you the GDPR regulations have real teeth. Serious consequences for breaching them

Yes, but a policy refers to a particular vehicle. In just the same way as checking a vehicle's MoT history, one could check whether it is insured. You don't need to know who by or for.

In most cases that will be the case but there are plenty of exceptions. I can drive a friends car with my own insurance even if the owner has no insurance. Lots of trades people can drive any car as part of their business. Most motorcycle insurance cover the rider for any bike as long as they don't own it. The insurance is with the driver not the car and they can't give out info on people.

Why can't I check someones car insurance online? - Andrew-T

<< I can drive a friend's car with my own insurance even if the owner has no insurance. Lots of tradespeople can drive any car as part of their business. >>

Of course, but your driving another's car under your insurance is a secondary matter. The system should be able to show a simple Yes/No as to whether a vehicle has current insurance cover.

Why can't I check someones car insurance online? - galileo

In most cases that will be the case but there are plenty of exceptions. I can drive a friends car with my own insurance even if the owner has no insurance. Lots of trades people can drive any car as part of their business. Most motorcycle insurance cover the rider for any bike as long as they don't own it. The insurance is with the driver not the car and they can't give out info on people.

I thought the insurance cover for cars other than your own only applied if the other vehicle was covered under another policy. There have been several cases when someone driving an otherwise uninsured car on the 'third party' cover clause was done for driving uninsured.

(I stand to be corrected by those with greater knowledge of the law)

Gone OT but exactly as Galieto said, I thought a fully comp driver where his/her ins allowed them to driver other cars could only drive the other car as long as it had 3rd part ins at least. Otherwise, a lot of people may have two cars and ins the expensive one just in case it got stolen/etc but drive around in their 1000 pound car and not have it insured.

About checking other peoples car insurance. For the last times I'm not interested in the persons details just a yes/no re insurance. A question that has not been addressed, IE why are we lawfully allowed to check road tax and mot but not car insurance of other cars and if you do via the link I posted you are breaking the law. To me, even parking on yellow lines other than to drop or pick someone up is against the law.

Thanks for all of those that tried to help.

Why can't I check someones car insurance online? - bathtub tom

AIUI driving an otherwise uninsured car under 'drive other cars with the owners permission' can trip you up if you stop off at (say) the shops and leave the car parked on the road.

The car is then on the road and uninsured!

Why can't I check someones car insurance online? - retgwte

Correct, you cannot rely on cover to drive any other car when you get out of the car and it's still on the highway it is uninsured.

About checking other peoples car insurance. For the last times I'm not interested in the persons details just a yes/no re insurance. A question that has not been addressed, IE why are we lawfully allowed to check road tax and mot but not car insurance of other cars and if you do via the link I posted you are breaking the law.

Yes I understand you are not looking for someones name but having a box ticked saying someone somewhere has an insurance policy on a car is pretty meaningless information and could be misleading, it tells you nothing so whats the point in having it. Even with a box ticked you could never assume the car is insured for any particular set of circumstances.