BMW 3 Series - Charge for fault finding while under warranty? - craig-pd130

A work colleague bought a 320 from a BMW main dealer under BMW's Approved Used scheme a couple of months back. The car is just over a year old, with the balance of the 3-year warranty remaining etc.

He asked me about some recurrent squeaking noises from the rear suspension, so I went to have a look with him (he's not mechanically-minded). Sure enough, there's an audible squeak when bouncing the driver's side rear with the car at a standstill. He took me for a spin around the block and it squeaks while driving (going over road bumps etc).

I had a search and apparently, early ball joint failure is a problem, so I told him to get in touch with the dealer and ask them to inspect the suspension under the car's warranty.

Apparently the dealer informed him that they will charge for the inspection if no fault is found, which I found odd. Anyone else had experience of dealers trying to charge for warranty inspections?

I advised him to complain to the dealer service manager, and if necessary escalate to BMW UK customer service.

BMW 3 Series - Charge for fault finding while under warranty? - Brit_in_Germany

I think that is standard practice nowadays. If there is a fault covered by the warranty you should not have to pay but some dealers are reluctant to waive the fee.

BMW 3 Series - Charge for fault finding while under warranty? - SLO76
Terrible service, tell him to go direct to BMW customer services and complain. Yes it’s a minor fault, probably nothing really other than the typical poor quality BMW components but they shouldn’t be threatening to charge him at all. Never once happened at any dealership I worked at.

I’ve personally taken cars back for minor issues such as squeaks and rattles if it’s a new or nearly new car and I’ve never been threatened with a fee to inspect it.

Edited by SLO76 on 30/09/2019 at 13:04

BMW 3 Series - Charge for fault finding while under warranty? - gordonbennet

Once again the German makers and their dealers displaying why its not wise to become a nuisance to them, ie customer with an issue.

BMW 3 Series - Charge for fault finding while under warranty? - Miniman777

Contrary to other views, who seem critical of German dealers, surely a charge, if it's a case of NFF, is justified? The dealer staff are spending time on investigating a 'fault' which may not exist or not be of a serious nature/covered by warranty, so someone should pay if the fault does not exist?

I've experienced this charge with a Mini under the same BMW used warranty. Car had a bad misfire, and was discovered to be a broken piston. Was told that I could be liable for strip down costs if the cause of the misfire was due to poor maintenance (ie: lack of oil) or other non-manufacturing cause.

It's a tough call, as you call Mini/BMW Emergency, they diagnose/confirm misfire, want to take the car to the dealer for investigation as it has warranty. Understandable, as you cant take it elsewhere, have someone tinker and then expect BMW to pick up the pieces. Luckily there was lots of aluminium swarf and a bit missing from the piston! Cut & dried case, though I had a plan B for a replacement engine had it not covered the £6k cost. Also had BMW's master tech spend 45min diagnosing a differential whine on a 10 month old BMW which was covered by initial 3 yr warranty, at no cost to me. I even waived the offer of a hire car as I tend to work from home, and it would have been pointless.

The charge is a backside covering tactic by dealers, no more, no less. Seen it with other manufacturers too who want to change upwards of £80 to attach a computer to read the stored fault codes.

Smaller garages tend not to charge for diagnosis, charging seems to be a main dealer tactic. In the case raised by the OP, the car has the balance of the 3 year original warranty, but if the dealer gets stuffy, go to another dealer.

BMW 3 Series - Charge for fault finding while under warranty? - Andrew-T

The charge is a backside covering tactic by dealers, no more, no less. Seen it with other manufacturers too who want to change upwards of £80 to attach a computer to read the stored fault codes.

It's not something I shall ever use, but on balance I think what is effectively a refundable fee is fair enough. If the public discovers that free diagnoses are available, that will quickly become abused.

BMW 3 Series - Charge for fault finding while under warranty? - Avant

Yes - there is a type of 'motoring hypochondriac' who will complain about imaginary faults which the dealer can't find, and leads to wasted time.

But in Craig's colleague's case, someone at the dealer should have come out to the car and witnessed the squeak, given that it happens even without driving the car. Then there would be no question of 'no fault found'.

Edited by Avant on 01/10/2019 at 00:13

BMW 3 Series - Charge for fault finding while under warranty? - gordonbennet

I don't think anyone would reasonably expect to be taking their 8 year old car in and having a full diagnostics performed for no charge, and that's not the issue here or anything like it.

The car in question is still under BMW approved used warranty if i've read the post correctly, and diagnosing a suspension squeak should in all honesty be a 5 minute job for a mechanic once the vehicle is up on the lift with a colleague...or perish the thought, the customer...giving the car a shake to replicate the squeak so they agree on what the sound is, then a gentle squirt of WD40 or some other harmless water dispersant at the various obvious points eliminating each probably joint in turn till we find the culprit.

We're not talking about a cheap car here, nor are we talking about an intermittent engine noise that could cost hours and £££ to find, this is one of the simplest diagnoses one could wish for, and (we presume) the selling dealer should have sorted this in minutes out of courtesy.

Chances are its just a dry joint and it were mine i'd probably have squirted some underbody wax or similar over the suspension and the noise would have more than likely vanished.

Is this an example of that famous bomb proof aftercare that an approved used carries?

BMW 3 Series - Charge for fault finding while under warranty? - Vitesse6

I had a metallic 'tonk' on braking or accelerating in my 3 year old Toyota. Trip to dealer, service manager came out with me for a test drive. Confirmed noise present, possibly front off side brake. Booked in for a check. Cleaned and greased brakes. Noise still present, so booked in again, finally diagnosed as wear in the CV joint. This was replaced under warranty. Total cost to me for the whole lot was £0 and at no point was any payment to diagnose the fault mentioned.

BMW 3 Series - Charge for fault finding while under warranty? - Andrew-T

Is this an example of that famous bomb proof aftercare that an approved used carries?

Yes, I think it probably is. Agree with all that has been said. I've never been tempted by cars from Germany, so it's a hypothetical discussion for me.

BMW 3 Series - Charge for fault finding while under warranty? - madf

Son bought an approved Toyota Yaris. After 3 months , a leak developed in lower engine hose.. pinprick size.

Took car to dealers, mechanic inspected it there and then, leak conformed.. Job done next week (it was driveable)...

No charges, no hassle.

I know why I don't buy German, French or US cars.. My prejudice is confirmed on these forums as a good decision.

BMW 3 Series - Charge for fault finding while under warranty? - barney100

Sounds like BMW are as bad as Mercedes, extortionate inspection fees and in Mercs's case rotten customer service.

BMW 3 Series - Charge for fault finding while under warranty? - craig-pd130

An update on this: a firm strop-o-gram to the dealer service manager led to an email confirming that there will be no charge for the inspection.

So all's well that ends well, but it shouldn't have been necessary for him to complain.

BMW 3 Series - Charge for fault finding while under warranty? - Zippy123

Charging / Diagnostics and Fees

My Hyundai Tuscon (2017 DCT TDI) was playing up.

It would lose power intermittently, usually on dual carriageways or motorways and was dangerous. This usually occurred after 30+ minutes of driving.

Revs would climb but speed would drop. Wouldn't even accelerate going down a steep hill.

Dealer could find no problem on the diagnostics as no fault codes were stored and the test drive found no problems either.

Had to resort to filming the dash showing 3500rpm foot to the floor going down hill at 50 and not accelerating for them to get on the Hyundai Technical who diagnosed the problem as a stuck valve.

Thankfully no charges for any of the 3 times I took the car to them and the dealer principal actually came out with the mechanic to apologise for not getting it right first time.