Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - Wee Willie Winkie

2008 Mazda 2 1.3 TS2 with 100k miles on it. It was bought outright in 2010 for £7495 with 33k miles and has been reliable, with yearly servicing and just a few suspension parts and a pulley wheel replaced. It's on its original exhaust, battery, clutch etc. Yearly mileage around 7k. It's been a good car, although a horrific green colour, but it's starting to show its age.

In the next few months it's due a service and MOT. There are a few jobs that need doing; exhaust heat shield mounts at manifold have corroded , rear wheel bearing is very rough, suspension clonk from the front and a couple of tyres are very close to the wear indicators. There's some rust starting on the rear wing lip, and two of the alloys leak air despite attempts to fix.

So, maintain/fix at a cost of ? £400-£500? Or trade up?

Trade in value is around the £500 mark apparently.

Current candidate if decision is made to trade in is a Citroen C3 Flair with the 1.2 engine. 2018 (18 plate) with 24k miles, currently on sale for £8200.

Any words of wisdom from the collective?

Thanks.

Edited by DieselBoy on 12/09/2019 at 07:41

Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - Falkirk Bairn

Spend the £500 & fettle the Mazda.

You say it's worth £500 today but spending the same again will likely give you "reliable transport" for another year at least. Let's say, as a runner, it will be worth £500 in a year's time - zero depreciation. If something big goes bang it will still fetch something at the scrappy.

I have a similar on-going discussion with my most senior household manager over the 7 year old CRV - zero bills apart from tyres, wipers & servicing since new - the odd stone chip but all paintwork is original - passed all MoTs with no advisories including last week. As the MoT/service man said it looks & drives like a new car except it's an old model

I have a itch / desire for a new car but the CRV list price is £35K+.

SWMBO says a small car is all we need!

The new CRV / HRV will be similar but better mpg , it's new, it's got more bells & whistles etc etc

However, it cannot be more reliable /comfortable etc & costs say £20-£25K +T/I

All 3 kids tell me to spend the cash - any inheritance will not change their lives.

Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - paul 1963

Keep it, FB is spot on with his advice.

Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - SLO76
I think you’ve had your money’s worth out of it, I’d change rather than rely on an older car that’s well past it’s prime.

The Citroen is appealing, it’s good value and it’s one of the most comfortable superminis on the market. That 3cyl petrol motor is well liked with no real vices as of yet but will it last as long as your Mazda? I’d personally have either a Suzuki Swift or another Mazda 2. Both will wear their miles better than a Citroen and be easier to sell on but if you intend on keeping it until it’s worthless then you have greater freedom to pick what your heart desires.

Yes you could keep the wee Mazda for many years to come and that’s exactly what I’d advise if you were on a tight budget and only prepared to buy another older cheap car but you’re upgrading to a young and substantially better car so I’d spend the money.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/09/2019 at 09:12

Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - badbusdriver

I can certainly see the appeal of the C3, it really stands out in a sea of bland, 'me too' designs, and i certainly approve of Citroen majoring on comfort rather than sportiness, another refreshing change. However, there are a couple of points i feel i should point out. Firstly, the heating and ventilation controls are accessed via the touchscreen. This may well be something you can get used to over time, but not particularly practical and arguably unsafe to adjust it while driving. Also, the 1.2 engine, in n/a form, struggles a bit with the C3, so unless you drive predominantly in town, i would strongly advise going for the 1.2 turbo. Be aware also (especially coming from your Mazda!) the manual gearshift in the C3 is pretty vague and rubbery. Lastly, it is very unlikley that the C3 will be as reliable as your Mazda, so if your plan was to keep it for the same amount of time, i'd suggest something else. A look on Autotrader shows a good selection of the (brilliant) current shape Mazda 2, including this rare 115bhp Sport model,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190831170...1

Or if driving enjoyment isn't a prime factor, a 1.5 Yaris such as this,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190620923...1

Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - CHarkin

Get the new car, live a little.

At £500 trade in they are offering you practically nothing, you could likely get most of that off if you had no trade in and making a cash purchase.

Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - nellyjak

I think you've already made you mind up tbh...you gonna be happy with the car after you've spent that £500 on a car worth £500.?...I don't think so.

I'd trade up.

Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - John F

From a purely financial point of view, keep it and service it yourself. It is eight years and 40,000 miles younger than our X reg Ford Focus (which has needed no suspension parts or pulleys!) - and as Japanese cars are much trumpeted on here for their reliability and longevity, it should be able to match that. You have reached the stage where depreciation is negligible, so as suggested above spending a few hundred on fettling would be far less than the depreciation on a replacement newer car.

Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - Andrew-T

Clearly pros and cons here. If you are a miser like me or John-F you may stick with the car you know well. You may enjoy splashing out and imagining the outlay dwindling as the new car ages. If you can't choose between those, toss a coin or think of the colour ....

Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - Avant

"In the next few months it's due a service and MOT. There are a few jobs that need doing; exhaust heat shield mounts at manifold have corroded , rear wheel bearing is very rough, suspension clonk from the front and a couple of tyres are very close to the wear indicators. There's some rust starting on the rear wing lip, and two of the alloys leak air despite attempts to fix."

Even excluding the rust, I think you'd be very lucky to get that lot sorted for £500, unless you're doing it yourself or have a friend who will do it at cut price.

Realistically these repairs would keep it going for a time, but how much longer have the original exhaust, battery and clutch got to go?

So unless you enjoy DIY it's probably time to change, although personally I would never recommend a Citroen for the reasons others have given above. A newer Mazda 2 or Toyota Yaris or Honda Jazz spring to mind (all likely to be reliable) or Ford Fiesta or Focus (lots around to choose from, although you should avoid the 1.0 engine). Or a Skoda Fabia or SEAT Ibiza / Leon (better value than a VW, but it needs to be a manual).

Thank you for all the replies. It's actually my wife's car, and I think she has made her mind up that she wants a change. She's owned it for over 9 years and I think is ready for something different. I was fishing to see if there was a compelling reason to persuade her to keep - and to be honest I don't think there is - spending a minimum of £500 on a £500 car seems daft to me, even when considering shelling out for a new car.

The main reason for the Citroen being lead contender is the looks. She likes 'quirky' and for that reason has already ruled out a Yaris, Jazz, Fiesta, Fabia, Ibiza - in fact most small cars. She paid more than a passing attention to another Mazda 2 but concluded "It'd be nice to have a change." Besides, a 2018 is out of budget.

So there we are - I've spent more time than is reasonable searching Autotrader and have concluded there are few alternatives when buying. Leasing opens up a whole new world but is that somewhere we want to go? Maybe, maybe not.....

Thank you for all the replies. It's actually my wife's car, and I think she has made her mind up that she wants a change. She's owned it for over 9 years and I think is ready for something different. I was fishing to see if there was a compelling reason to persuade her to keep - and to be honest I don't think there is - spending a minimum of £500 on a £500 car seems daft to me, even when considering shelling out for a new car.

The main reason for the Citroen being lead contender is the looks. She likes 'quirky' and for that reason has already ruled out a Yaris, Jazz, Fiesta, Fabia, Ibiza - in fact most small cars. She paid more than a passing attention to another Mazda 2 but concluded "It'd be nice to have a change." Besides, a 2018 is out of budget.

So there we are - I've spent more time than is reasonable searching Autotrader and have concluded there are few alternatives when buying. Leasing opens up a whole new world but is that somewhere we want to go? Maybe, maybe not.....

That is fair enough, and as i said earlier, i understand the appeal of the Citroen. But i would give serious thought to what i also said re n/a vs turbo 1.2. And it isn't just about the performance, more about how much more relaxed the car will feel on the open road. Although the turbo has 35% more BHP, which is a biggish jump not to be sniffed at, it is the torque which is where the turbo's advantage is really pressed home with almost 75% more!. Peak torque is delivered at only 1500rpm, so it will feel like a much bigger engine. I believe the economy, at least on paper, is pretty much identical, so the only benefit of the n/a version is the ability to get a younger car for the same money. But looking on Autotrader shows that to get the turbo, you'd only have to drop back 1 year to 2017.

Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - Engineer Andy

Apart from a minor amount of surface rust, those issues mentioned are just wear and tear items that will then last another 5 years+. They did on my Mazda3 which (bought new) is now approaching its 14th birthday, admitedly with only 67k miles on it. The engines are very hardy.

Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - Falkirk Bairn

My Xedos was almost 15 years old when it was sold - less than £1000 on repairs in the 15 years - a battery at 13 years, 3 brake calipers, a pulley, a few rubber bushes, & 1 x AC Recharges.

Rust on the rear wheel arches treated twice.

Best car I have ever bought.

"But i would give serious thought to what i also said re n/a vs turbo 1.2"

Hmm - good point. Maybe a 'step down' to a Feel but with the 110 engine would be prudent.

Take it for a drive, the 3cyl 1.2 is a good match for the Mazda you have already in performance terms. In fact it’ll pull a bit better from low revs. But yes the turbo substantially ups the game but does it suit the laidback nature of the car? I think the more straightforward 1.2 3cyl does the job fine and there’s less to go wrong.

Yes, I've been looking at the specs for her current Mazda and they are comparable to the n/a 1.2 C3. To be honest, most of her driving is on 30 or 40mph roads and she's no speed demon. Well, not since the recent driver awareness course :-)

I'll put all this to her and see what she says. It'll be her car, after al .

Thanks all for your help. I'll return with an update at some point.

Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - barney100

£8200 aaginst £500 to fix the Mazda....keep it ...you're £7800 up.

Appreciated, but the stable door has been left open and the horse has bolted on that one.

It's a new car. The Mazda has been owned for 9 years so is more.than ready for a change.

Appreciated, but the stable door has been left open and the horse has bolted on that one.

It's a new car. The Mazda has been owned for 9 years so is more.than ready for a change.

Just because it's 9 years old doesn't mean it is ready for the scrap heap. My Mazda3 is coming up on 14 years old and still going fine. A car that isn't rusting badly and doesn't have much in the wasy of complex electronics/gizmos should, if well cared for, last a LONG time, be reliable and be far more cost effective across its lifetime than replacing it every few years.

9 is just a number - it's the car's condition and the cost of maintenance vs the cost of shelling out for a new (to you) car - noting also that if you buy a second hand car, its previous ownership will be somewhat of an unknown, even if it comes with a FSH, as it could've been used for lots of short trips from cold, or thrashed within an inch of its life. Your current car is a known quantity.

Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - sammy1

Twist I have changed cars about 12 times in last 40 years and never thought once that I should have kept the last one! As for the money yes its gone but at least the house continues to appreciate!

Twist I have changed cars about 12 times in last 40 years and never thought once that I should have kept the last one! As for the money yes its gone but at least the house continues to appreciate!

I'd hate to think how much of your disposible income you have spent on buying replacement cars. Still, your money, your choice. I prefer to make a choice when buying the car so I'm not forced into changing the car due to it having many problems, especially if the car and/or make has a history of such issues. I bet your local car dealerships also very much appreciate (££££) you changing your cars that often!

I include the dealership experience in that as well - checking out a number of main dealers in the area for competence (some makes I just won't go for at all because their dealers and brand are very poor at post sales customer service - some, like with Mazda, are patchy, so I have to find a good'un locally, otherwise the deal's off).

It's also the reason why I will never buy a new car that has only just come out - I wait at least a year, if not two before putting any on a short list for consideration, because it gives me time to assess any faults that may emerge from the new spec or any new technologies used, especially as many cars are, in my view released to market too early and owners are used as defacto beta testers.

Decent research (i.e. making a decent effort in it) can save you thousands, maybe tens of thousands over a lifetime, which could be spent on a nicer home, better/more frequent holidays, etc, etc. And it doesn't mean you have to buy a boring car either. At least that's my view anyway.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 15/09/2019 at 12:29

Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - Leif

You have to work out how much extra per year the Mazda will cost to maintain compared to the purchase cost of a new car minus price on selling it, divided by its ownership lifetime in years. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a new car.

You have to work out how much extra per year the Mazda will cost to maintain compared to the purchase cost of a new car minus price on selling it, divided by its ownership lifetime in years. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a new car.

Indeed you do, but it's highly unlikey to work out cheaper to buy a new or second hand car in this case, at least for the next 5 years.

Indeed you do, but it's highly unlikey to work out cheaper to buy a new or second hand car in this case, at least for the next 5 years.

What is your evidence for that remark? I had a K class Micra, described here as bulletproof. It fell to pieces at 10 years and 100,000 miles, and was getting costly to maintain. If a car fails, you’re forced to buy a replacement in a hurry rather than at leisure and usually at a better price. Of course if you have a backup, that’s not an issue.

What is your evidence for that remark? I had a K class Micra, described here as bulletproof. It fell to pieces at 10 years and 100,000 miles, and was getting costly to maintain. If a car fails, you’re forced to buy a replacement in a hurry rather than at leisure and usually at a better price. Of course if you have a backup, that’s not an issue.

Because I own a car from the same make which is older (coming up on 14yo) which is is still in decent condition, including rust. Older Mazdas (the early Mazda3 gen-1 cars) did suffer, mine was one of the ones that they resolved that problem to a reasonable degree, later ones and other cars in their range have not suffered much from rust since.

If the OP has a petrol version (likely for a Mazda2) and has serviced it properly, then the only items that (for the most part) need maintenance are general wear and tear items like suspension bushes/arms/dampers, maybe a wheel bearing. The petrol engines are very hardy and the bodyshells from about late 2005 across the baord are far better at resisting rust.

I would suspect that the costs over the next 5 years would amount to (other than standard servicing) about £750 - £1500, tops. The cost to change to buy another car, even second hand would likely come it at around £6k - £7k, and they don't know for sure exactly how well it was driven/kept as they don't know the previous owner.

A 'new' second hand car would also need fettling at that price, as it would be old enough for some wear and tear items to start appearing and may soon need new tyres.

I certainly didn't ever say that Micras were bulletproof - that specific model was generally reliable, but eventually succumbed to corrosion, and why I PXed mine to get my current Mazda3 (I owned a K11 for nearly 8 years up to its 10th birthday).

The later Micras designed and built under the alliance with Renault were, IMHO, of lower quality (engineering-wise) and I wouldn't call them good. I just read in a recent Which? magazine car buying special that the latest model was considered to be poor in terms of reliability.

Petrol-engined Mazdas (forgetting the RX-8) built after the rusting problem era are fine and can last a long time. I see quite a number of 2s and 3s from the mid 2000s still looking fine in my area. Mine, touch wood, has never failed an MOT yet. If anyone, including the OP, lives in an area or near the sea that is reowned for quickly rusting out cars (i.e. the council regularly uses road salt because they get a lot of snow/ice in winter), then that would put a different spin on the situation.

Mazda 2s of that era are also related to the Ford Fiesta and don't have that much in the way of fancy electronics to go wrong.

One example does not tell you anything which is why I’d rather see some evidence such as user surveys. I live in the south of England, and yet we see a lot of salt on the roads in winter.

As I indicated, you can take the risk, and hoe you win, or you can trade up at leisure. You takes your choice.
One example does not tell you anything which is why I’d rather see some evidence such as user surveys. I live in the south of England, and yet we see a lot of salt on the roads in winter. As I indicated, you can take the risk, and hoe you win, or you can trade up at leisure. You takes your choice.

I see lots of examples of Mazdas (including many 2s) from that era that appear to be surviving rather well. SLO himself said that he would recommend keeping the car if money was tight. My point was that the OP didn't appear to want to spend 'any money' fettling his current car, even though that would be quite minimal (especially if he only kept it for another 3-5 years, like mine) when compared to buy another newer second hand car which they don't know the history 100%.

That, in my eyes, is far more of a risk than the know quantity of his current car. If it had been a diesel engined one that had done mainly short trips, then I would've gone with getting a replacement, but a petrol version, because they are far more reliable over the longer term if used in that way.

In January I had a C3 for a week or two. I echo badbusdriver’s comments. I hated the air con control via touchscreen, and my lips became so dry they started bleeding, it was quite unpleasant. The design is odd, but it grows on you. However, it’s comfy, fairly quiet, reasonably smooth, and interior quality is actually quite good, apart from the low rent touchscreen. Ergonomics are poor. I never could figure out basic things such as resetting the trip counter. The gear lever is bizarre, very floppy, but it works fine. It’s very French, being annoying and odd, but endearing/charming.

My experience with small cars is that repair costs start to rocket at ~10 years old. The newer car should be more reliable, and safer, as NCAP standards improve each year.

Good try, Andy, but Mrs DieselBoy (PetrolGirl?) has decided she wants a new car, so that's it.

I still think that if she goes for the C3, she'll find it less interesting to drive than it looks, and as others have said above, there will be things to annoy. Personally I think that any car that requires you to adjust heating and AC via a touchscreen is potentially dangerous, unless there's also voice control (which is how Volvo gets away with it).

One last throw of the dice - the Suzuki Swift is quirky but reliable, and could be worth a look.

Indeed. I have driven a C3 Aircross, and found it less than enthralling to drive. Nothing wrong with it, just not exciting in the slightest.

Suzuki Swift - I like the look of them but she does not. 'Too Nissan Micra looking' apparentl . I know, I know.

I have driven a C3 Aircross, and found it less than enthralling to drive. Nothing wrong with it, just not exciting in the slightest.

The new C4 Cactus, depending on deals next April, is a candidate for our next car and there are a few reasons for this. It is quite narrow, not as slim hipped as our current car, a Honda Jazz, but not much wider (we live on a narrow street with double parking, so a car not too broad is important!). It has this new suspension system with the hydraulic bump stops, which along with Citroen's making a priority of comfort, quietness and refinement over 'sportiness' is very appealing to me. But despite this, it is (apparently) good fun to hustle, certainly up to a point, and this is because it doesn't weigh much (based on examples with the 1.2 turbo auto, about 200kg less than the C3 Aircross and 30kg less than the C3). The automatic version uses a torque converter as opposed to one of these automated manuals which i'm wary of (though as this would be a Motability car, the reliability aspect is not a big factor). The main minus point for me, as i mentioned before re the C3, is the heating and ventilation controls being accessed through the touchscreen, i'd be far happier if there were seperate physical controls for them.

I do also like the Suzuki Swift, and we have a local dealer which is a plus point. It is also a light car, about 100kg lighter again than the C4 Cactus. But from what i have read, while this makes the car very nippy (regardless of engine), you are acutely aware of at least some of where that weight has been saved, i.e, sound insulation. Apparently it is pretty noisy!.

Must say though, i'd have to question whether or not your wife actually knows what a nissan micra looks like, cos the Swift looks nothing like it!

"Must say though, i'd have to question whether or not your wife actually knows what a nissan micra looks like, cos the Swift looks nothing like it!"

I have pointed this out but it fell on deaf ears.

Well, to update on this.

Collecting a 2018 C3 1.2 'Flalr' on Thursday from a garage 25 miles away. It is the non turbo charged, but performance seems adequate as is. It was cheapest C3 in the country in spec/colour/age/mileage requirements. Got a good deal, I think. A little bit more in partex than I expected, and a reasonable amount off the advertised price. I guess buying at the end of a trading quarter has its advantages.

So there we have it. I think once the idea of a new car surfaced, my better half had already made her mind up. Still, if we all kept our cars until they disintegrated there wouldn't be much of a second hand car market....

Thanks all.

I’ll reveal a guilty secret... I quite like Citroen C3’s. Bit of character, especially with that wee 3cyl motor and very comfortable. Plenty of old 15yr plus C3’s bumbling around here to prove their durability in simple petrol form, as long as the VTi petrol are avoided.

Yes, very comfortable. Soaked up the bumps very wel . Getting into my Octavia VRS afterwards felt like a right bone shaker.

Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - carl duck
Best bet is Fiat panda.

Great mpg

Reliable

Trendy

Great in snow with all weathers

Cheap as chips to run

Look good

I run a 1.2 04 plate on 29k.

Cost me 1200 why spend money on a new car it’s jst false economy.

But everybody buys into marketing and consumerism.

90% of the time your car is stationary as in parked.

This means you are paying maybe 10000 for 10% usage of a product.

I’m sure I will get feedback about reliability etc etc. But over the lifetime of a vehicle hiring or pcp is so crazy.

Very much depends on ones interpretation of trendy and good looking, I guess!

I kinda like Pandas too... I’ll get my coat.
Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - Manatee

I kinda like Pandas too... I’ll get my coat.

Me toe. We had one in the familly for 10 years. I did worry however that it was a bit insubstantial. I saw one that had just been hit sideways on in the area of the front wheel, and the entire front up to the bulkhead, body, engine, gearbox wheels had just been knocked off.

To be fair the passenger cell was still the right shape but I did wonder how it would have fared if hit amidships, or even in a head on.

I like the simplicity of them. Utterly unpretentious, all you need and nothing more. Simple and straightforward, easy to repair and cheap to buy and run but enough room to serve as a useful second car for a family. They’re nimble and fun to drive too. If one is an option when I’m on holiday It'll be my preferred hire option.
Mazda 2 - Stick or twist? - veloceman
Is the only European car to appear in AutoExpress Top 10 most reliable cars (8th) 2019.

Possibly because for most of their production life they were built in Eastern Europe rather than Turin.

Edited by Avant on 28/09/2019 at 12:51