invincible pedestrians - Lrac

where I live it seems as though if you are a young male the way you cross a road is to simply stare at the traffic as you step straight in front of it. It is then necessary that as you take evasive action to avoid said individual they often have to swear at you. The other more passive way to cross traffic involves staring at a phone screen as you stroll across the road without a care in the world.

Is this unique to just where I live or is this method employed nationally? I wonder if these are the same people that do not know what white lines are for and simply launch themselves into the traffic assuming it will also take evasive action to allow them to proceed.

The other phenomena would be the cyclists that appear to be adult yet riding bmx bikes of child like proportions that never indicate or even look before crossing any lanes of traffic.

Has anyone on here had an accident due to this type of behaviour? I did once see someone lying in the road trying to stand up after they had just been hit by a car that they had walked out in front of. The individual was considered a local Hardman although at that moment in time I think the old lady driving the car fared better than he did.

Almost forgot the sacrificial baby method of crossing the road that involves placing a childs buggy in the road whilst parent stays safely on the pavement oblivious to the danger posed to the buggy occupant.

invincible pedestrians - badbusdriver

Almost forgot the sacrificial baby method of crossing the road that involves placing a childs buggy in the road whilst parent stays safely on the pavement oblivious to the danger posed to the buggy occupant.

That is taking cues from the animal kingdom!. If a family of Meercats want to cross a road, they push the young ones out first, if they don't get killed, the rest will follow!

invincible pedestrians - wrangler_rover
They also step straight into the road while glued to their handheld devices here in Lincolnshire. Not exclusively males and not exclusively youngsters.
I now have the added disadvantage of driving a plug in hybrid (silent but deadly) so a dash cam is a must for me. I have lost count of the number of people who step out without looking and wander across car parks into my path so I have changed my driving style accordingly. They still look startled when my car appears silently and they see it without having heard it first.
invincible pedestrians - Bolt
They also step straight into the road while glued to their handheld devices here in Lincolnshire. Not exclusively males and not exclusively youngsters. I now have the added disadvantage of driving a plug in hybrid (silent but deadly) so a dash cam is a must for me. I have lost count of the number of people who step out without looking and wander across car parks into my path so I have changed my driving style accordingly. They still look startled when my car appears silently and they see it without having heard it first.

I have a diesel that can be heard but they still walk out in front of me, do it most everywhere I go, they are in a different world but complain if you get too close to them, not realising it was them that walked out in front of me

Problem is they don't give you time to react which they should do and most don't even care.

our high st is the worst where everyone does as they please so most drive a lot slower in case people do step out in your path

invincible pedestrians - Leif
Quite common behaviour. I don’t understand what goes through their heads, other than fresh air. It seems to be a city and big town thing, I don’t see it in my village, or the local market town. I assume it is ‘generation cossetted’ or ‘general elf n safety’ that grow up in a shielded environment with a lack of awareness of danger. Or maybe they are used to being spoon fed, and expect drivers to stop.
invincible pedestrians - gordonbennet

Maybe they spend so much time in a virtual world online they arn't able to distinguish reality any more, for crying out loud i've seen them glued to their phones whilst using the urinal at motorway services, bizarre doesn't begin to cover it.

Maybe they spend so much time in a virtual world online they arn't able to distinguish reality any more, for crying out loud i've seen them glued to their phones whilst using the urinal at motorway services, bizarre doesn't begin to cover it.

Wait until VR contact lenses come out, you wont be able to tell the real world from the virtual world, I think google glasses were the first which they gave up on, but CL will replace them probably mixing the two worlds...

Wait until VR contact lenses come out, you wont be able to tell the real world from the virtual world, I think google glasses were the first which they gave up on, but CL will replace them probably mixing the two worlds...

I must be wearing those with the matching earpieces, it would explain the Brexit news I keep seeing and hearing.

invincible pedestrians - gkb40

Add into the equation the 'Headphones of Invincibility' for even more awareness insulation...

invincible pedestrians - Manatee
Quite common behaviour. I don’t understand what goes through their heads

Arrogance, just being rude and offensive in many cases. They know they can make you brake or go round them. Try hooting at one - they don't break stride.

In nearby Hemel Hempstead the latest thing is teenage cyclists who deliberately obstruct traffic, riding along the middle of the road on the back wheel.

Try hooting at one - they don't break stride.

Time to dig out the train horns which might have been fitted to one of my lorries of old, they'll break more than stride.

Oh yes I had forgotten about that, very popular past time here as well, also just riding constantly around round a bouts in large numbers preventing anyone from joining the round a bout.

I wonder if the aggressive stare is a quick check that they are not "fronting out" a "front number plate missing smoking / knackered panzer wagon" being driven at speed as opposed to an inoffensive car being driven within the legal limit.

invincible pedestrians - focussed

I find that entitled pedestrians here in France don't fancy their chances as much when I'm in our old black L200 pick-up, as opposed to the Accord.

The L200 has air horns as well as the standard horns - quite a fanfare if necessary!

invincible pedestrians - johnnyrev
Common behaviour around here is for cyclists to use the pavement (which is bad enough), but then when they come to a junction with a side road, they cycle across the end of the road without a glance or slowing down, as if they have right of way.

I’ve got used to this now and will slow down and give way as it happens so often. I get quite cross with cyclists on the pavement too, especially when I’ve got the dog. I won’t give way to them, but they are usually unrepentant, but I can get away with a bit of righteous anger with my clerical shirt and dog collar on!
invincible pedestrians - skidpan

Out yesterday in the Caterham and was behind a line of cyclists who were 4 across the road (thought 2 was the limit) doing little more than walking pace. When the first car tried to pass them they forced it into the path of an oncoming car forcing both cars to stop.

One thing is certain, if those cars had collided a number of the cyclists would have been involved and it would not have been a good outcome for them.

Later during my drive I saw a couple of cyclists ahead who were one behind the other doing a good pace. I caught them up just as we came to a couple of splitters in the road and without warning the one at the back pulled out to the side of the other to stop me overtaking. Once past the first splitter I got past and strange as it might seem they reverted to cycling single file.

How more cyclists do not get killed I will never know. Surely they must realise that in a car v's bike the car will win just as in a car v's pedestrian.

Surely they must realise that in a car v's bike the car will win just as in a car v's pedestrian.

Ah but you've overlooked the important point, that dead cyclist or pedestrian will automatically be held blameless because you should have avoided them, that's how it works these days, so they'll be a vindicated victim vegetable or corpse and presumably in some demented mindset feel justified, we are approaching peak lunacy in this country.

Overcrowding of the country's towns and cities is helping drive this lunacy (though there are other causes too) we're well into the cramming humanoid rats in a cage and see what happens experiments that might be conducted in a science fiction story, but it's taking place in reality.

Ah but you've overlooked the important point, that dead cyclist or pedestrian will automatically be held blameless because you should have avoided them, that's how it works these days, so they'll be a vindicated victim vegetable or corpse and presumably in some demented mindset feel justified, we are approaching peak lunacy in this country.

In the same way that economists keep saying that peak oil is always 10 years in the future, whenever I think we’ve gone past peak lunacy, someone comes along to prove me wrong. If the Brexit farce is not peak lunacy, then God preserve us from whatever idiocy awaits us in the future. Comrade Corbyn or Jacob Rees Mogg (aka the right honourable member for the nineteenth century) becoming Prime Minister is my prediction.

invincible pedestrians - Bromptonaut

Out yesterday in the Caterham and was behind a line of cyclists who were 4 across the road (thought 2 was the limit) doing little more than walking pace. When the first car tried to pass them they forced it into the path of an oncoming car forcing both cars to stop.

One thing is certain, if those cars had collided a number of the cyclists would have been involved and it would not have been a good outcome for them.

Highway Code Rule 66 says you should never ride more than two abreast. Should is advice not law where word used is must.

Given they were in a group I'd wager that they'd have left a walker for dead; nearer 20mph than walking pace.

If there was an oncoming car why try to pass them at all? Would it kill to wait a few seconds (or a minute for that matter) until an overtake is safe.

On the one hand you're quite right about outcomes. On the other using a group to nip a dangerous overtake in the bud actually reduces the risk of a bad outcome. .

Highway Code Rule 66 says you should never ride more than two abreast. Should is advice not law where word used is must.

Given they were in a group I'd wager that they'd have left a walker for dead; nearer 20mph than walking pace.

If there was an oncoming car why try to pass them at all? Would it kill to wait a few seconds (or a minute for that matter) until an overtake is safe.

On the one hand you're quite right about outcomes. On the other using a group to nip a dangerous overtake in the bud actually reduces the risk of a bad outcome. .

I don’t know the details of this situation, but in general it’s impossible to overtake a bike with oncoming cars if you leave enough room between you and the bikelist. All too often people squeeze by, often at high speed, forgetting about turbulence at the side of the car, and the poor state of the road. Cyclists in large groups can be a menace, but you have to play safe. I think some of them purposefully dominate the road. We have races on a dual carriageway near us, it removes one lane from car use, but they do it at weekends and they are safe.

I don’t know the details of this situation, but in general it’s impossible to overtake a bike with oncoming cars if you leave enough room between you and the bikelist. All too often people squeeze by, often at high speed, forgetting about turbulence at the side of the car, and the poor state of the road. Cyclists in large groups can be a menace, but you have to play safe. I think some of them purposefully dominate the road. We have races on a dual carriageway near us, it removes one lane from car use, but they do it at weekends and they are safe.

Absolutely they do. It may be counterintuitive but it's a damned sight safer than trying to keep out of the way of the cars who then behave as if they haven't seen you at all. Drivers who point out that the cars etc are bigger and heavier and cyclists should always give way are probably the same folks as think rest of life's problems are addressed by shouting that their's is bigger........

Absolutely they do. It may be counterintuitive but it's a damned sight safer than trying to keep out of the way of the cars who then behave as if they haven't seen you at all. Drivers who point out that the cars etc are bigger and heavier and cyclists should always give way are probably the same folks as think rest of life's problems are addressed by shouting that their's is bigger........

I know why some do it, but I'm not sure that purposefully antagonising motorists is going to be safer. The worst ones can be quite dangerous when riled.

I hope the last remark wasn't aimed at me.

I know why some do it, but I'm not sure that purposefully antagonising motorists is going to be safer. The worst ones can be quite dangerous when riled.

I hope the last remark wasn't aimed at me.

I wouldn't set out to purposefully antagonise. Whether they may be antagonised anyway and if so how they might behave is, I guess, part of the calculation. You cannot legislate for a Kenny Noye type.

No the comment was not aimed at you; I was thinking through the point before I saw your post. Not sure Skidpan can take same comfort......

invincible pedestrians - Andrew-T

<< Cyclists in large groups can be a menace, but you have to play safe. I think some of them purposefully dominate the road. >>

Perhaps they are only imitating their fasters and betters on motorised high-speed bikes, many of whom follow the centre of a 2-lane road on 'safety principles'. The main difference is that those do not usually hold up traffic.

<< Cyclists in large groups can be a menace, but you have to play safe. I think some of them purposefully dominate the road. >>

Perhaps they are only imitating their fasters and betters on motorised high-speed bikes, many of whom follow the centre of a 2-lane road on 'safety principles'. The main difference is that those do not usually hold up traffic.

Bikers are usually fine, they are fast and don’t get in the way. I’m happy to let them zoom past. One biker is one less car. That said, a group overtook me at a t junction preventing me from exiting this morning, unusual as they are usually polite. Not worth gettng annoyed about though.

<< On the one hand you're quite right about outcomes. On the other using a group to nip a dangerous overtake in the bud actually reduces the risk of a bad outcome. >>

I haven't cycled for many years but when I did, if I thought a possibly dangerous overtake was imminent, I would signal to the driver, not try to occupy the centre of the road. The sightlines of a cyclist are obviously better than a Caterham driver on an undulating road.

Yes I to make allowances for this although truth be told this is because I don't want to damage my car

where I live it seems as though if you are a young male the way you cross a road is to simply stare at the traffic as you step straight in front of it.

Male or female there are places where solid but moving traffic makes that a reasonable technique.

Exactly situation in London 40 years ago. Unless you made eye contact and dared a driver to run you over you'd be on the kerb for whole of your lunchbreak.

where I live it seems as though if you are a young male the way you cross a road is to simply stare at the traffic as you step straight in front of it.

Male or female there are places where solid but moving traffic makes that a reasonable technique.

Exactly situation in London 40 years ago. Unless you made eye contact and dared a driver to run you over you'd be on the kerb for whole of your lunchbreak.

These days there are plenty of pedestrian crossings and junctions with lights, but they prefer to stare down at their phone and walk into the road regardless.

These days there are plenty of pedestrian crossings and junctions with lights, but they prefer to stare down at their phone and walk into the road regardless.

depends where you are I suppose, not all roads around our way have crossings and even the junctions with lights only give priority to main road traffic and non to pedestrians (not all lights allow pedestrians to cross either)

though that's no excuse to walk straight into a motors path as they do

invincible pedestrians - expat

Sounds like Saigon where the huge number of scooters mean that you must just walk out into them. They are moving relatively slowly and the trick is to keep walking slowly and purposefully. They take you into their calculations and weave round you. It is actually quite safe provided you don't do any thing that they don't expect such as suddenly stopping. It takes a bit of nerve at first though.

invincible pedestrians - skidpan

I was the 4th car following the cycles and we had been behind them for about a mile. The road whilst strait was too undulating to overtake, in the low Caterham you had no chance of seeing very far ahead. They had been doing between 10 and 20 mph depending on the up or downhill bits.

When the car decided to overtake it had levelled out and there was plenty of clear road to the next brow. Unfortunately he dawdled past instead of getting on with it and this is why he was only part past when the car arrived from the opposite direction.

The car that did the failed overtake and the 2 behind it turned left almost immediately down a side road that cut down to the main road, no good to me since there is a ford down there and Caterhams and fords don't get on with only 3" under the lowest part of the sump. As soon as the 3rd car had turned the road was clear ahead and I pull out and overtook the row of bikes as quick as I could but as I reached the front of the bikes the chap who was probably their fuhrer crossed the white line probably trying to intimidate me.

Total idiots. If they had been wearing shirts showing the name of their road club I would have reported them without hesitation.

Its times like this a dash cam would be good proof.

invincible pedestrians - Engineer Andy

A considerate cyclist, similar to a farm worker driving a tractor (or other slow vehicle) would notice they are holding up traffic and either temporarily pull over or into a layby, or if it were empty, a junction on their left and wait for the line of traffic to pass.

Unfortunately we get a lot of big egos on both sides that thinks they own the road. I think some of them actually enjoy peeing off other road users. I think that a good number of people need to refamiliarise themselves with the highway code, and some cyclists need to also take a cycling proficiency test and drop the pretence that they are a weekend Chris Froome.

I've seen terrible road behaviour from both sides of fence. TBH, it's the reason I stopped cycling locally, because of the dangerous roads and large number of serious accidents involving cyclists and motorcylists. We have enough just involving cars etc anyway. Much better when I'm down in Cornwall on holiday, but then I go outside of the main holiday season when it's less busy.

I think that a good number of people need to refamiliarise themselves with the highway code, and some cyclists need to also take a cycling proficiency test and drop the pretence that they are a weekend Chris Froome.

Well yes possibly, but doubt it will make any difference, most people appear to be out for themselves and really don't care about what goes on around them as long as they are ok.

which appears to be the attitude these days

A considerate cyclist, similar to a farm worker driving a tractor (or other slow vehicle) would notice they are holding up traffic and either temporarily pull over or into a layby, or if it were empty, a junction on their left and wait for the line of traffic to pass.

Unfortunately we get a lot of big egos on both sides that thinks they own the road. I think some of them actually enjoy peeing off other road users. I think that a good number of people need to refamiliarise themselves with the highway code, and some cyclists need to also take a cycling proficiency test and drop the pretence that they are a weekend Chris Froome.

I've seen terrible road behaviour from both sides of fence. TBH, it's the reason I stopped cycling locally, because of the dangerous roads and large number of serious accidents involving cyclists and motorcylists. We have enough just involving cars etc anyway. Much better when I'm down in Cornwall on holiday, but then I go outside of the main holiday season when it's less busy.

All very true, though I have never met a group of cyclists who stop to let cars past. I’ve seen tractors do it many times, and lorries, not cyclists. I accept cyclists during the weekend, or mid day, when in groups. At rush hour on winding B roads they can be a menace, causing long tail backs.

Total idiots. If they had been wearing shirts showing the name of their road club I would have reported them without hesitation.

They're doing exactly same as you - enjoying a ride out. If that means you're stuck behind them for a mile that's the way it goes. Ten to twenty miles an hour isn't that slow on a lane and is a lot more than the 'walking pace' that was your opening gambit.

The real issue was, as so often the case, that first motorist in queue lacked the confidence to overtake.

And if you seriously think the Bugsville Road Club is going to discipline members on basis of an unsubstantiated 'report' from a motorist who thinks 1.-20mph is walking pace your'e living in cloud cuckoo land.

Proof cuts both ways - impatient drivers can be condemned by their own dashcams.

invincible pedestrians - alan1302

They're doing exactly same as you - enjoying a ride out. If that means you're stuck behind them for a mile that's the way it goes. Ten to twenty miles an hour isn't that slow on a lane and is a lot more than the 'walking pace' that was your opening gambit.

The real issue was, as so often the case, that first motorist in queue lacked the confidence to overtake.

And if you seriously think the Bugsville Road Club is going to discipline members on basis of an unsubstantiated 'report' from a motorist who thinks 1.-20mph is walking pace your'e living in cloud cuckoo land.

Proof cuts both ways - impatient drivers can be condemned by their own dashcams.

If I am having a drive out and enjoying the scenery and not going as fast as I could be I'll pull over and let faster cars by when I can

Now added to my every day vocabulary, from this moment on "fronting out" will be known as the "Saigon method"

invincible pedestrians - Avant

I suppose it rolls off the tongue more easily than the 'Ho Chi Minh City method'.

invincible pedestrians - Bilboman

The only cyclists (or pedestrians, come to that) that I really have a problem with are the reckless, selfish, ignorant ones, and they tend to be individualistic - not part of a group. Sunday morning pelotons having a perfectly legitimate ride around the country - fine by me. It's everyone's countryside, right?
One of the "joys" of the English countryside is the endless winding roads with pronounced camber and tall hedgerow, meaning that you can't see much f***her than the end of your nose and you forever have to adjust speed and swing the wheel to and fro, anticipating what is round the next corner. Being held up for a minute or two on the way to a (vitally important?) pub lunch or picnic is not, IMHO, a reason to go apoplectic at the sight of a spoked wheel.
The anti-cyclist brigade do not complain about roadworks, temporary traffic lights, cows being herded, a tractor on its way to another field, a fallen tree or the aftermath of a road accident with anything approaching the level of venom directed at cyclists - i.e. other human beings they regard as socially inferior. Snobbery has a lot to do with it, despite the fact that most cyclists pay the astronomical running costs of a car but happen to enjoy cycling at various times in the week.
One thing that really does need improving is cyclists' visibility. High viz jackets at the very least - one for the leader and a special one for the back rider with a 20, 30 or whatever to indicate how many cyclists there are in the group. A large embossed "THANKS!" wouldn't go amiss, either.

invincible pedestrians - Manatee

Quite right Bilbo,

I am appalled at the irrational hostility to cyclists. The irony is that they are not of course a different species. The vast majority are drivers when they aren't out on their bikes. They know about roads and driving, and a great deal of their behaviour that their critics aompalin of is actually about staying safe.

invincible pedestrians - Bilboman

Quite a number of roads are closed to traffic right now in Bilbao as the "Vuelta" is making its way around Spain. A few diversions and one or two holdups do not mean the end of civilization. There are some 200 riders on the roads and good luck to them all!

Quite right Bilbo,

I am appalled at the irrational hostility to cyclists. The irony is that they are not of course a different species. The vast majority are drivers when they aren't out on their bikes. They know about roads and driving, and a great deal of their behaviour that their critics aompalin of is actually about staying safe.

Part of the hostility comes from people living or working in cities. I know from a lot of personal experience working in London that a large minority of cyclists, including a fair number of cycle couriers, pay abosultely no heed to the law when cycling - they regularly jump red lights, cross when pedestrians are on the crossing (and supposed to be), cycle the wrong way up one-way streets, cycle on pavements. A good number are both an absolute menace and downright dangerous.

Unfortunately, that clouds many people's opinion of all cyclists.

On the other side of the coin, many drivers (as we've seen on cycle cam videos on YT and the TV News) treat cyclists with utter contempt and some deliberately target them, causing accidents and injury, starting fights for no reason. Not helped by how busy many roads in inner city areas are and poor/incomplete measures being in place to separate cyclists from pedestrians and other road users.

Each side blaming the other for most of the problems whilst playing down their own faults, very few people willing to sit down and to try and improve the situation. Yet another symptom of our damaged society.

Quite right Bilbo,

I think the hostility is towards idiots that just happen to be riding bikes. I have a few bikes and love motorcycles but I get very "dis pleased" when I indicate to turn right in my car and my indicators are mis-interpreted by groups of motorcycles to overtake in a constant stream. I suppose I should add that there is a regular biker meeting every Wednesday quite near to me.

I also remember being at the local hospital having an x ray and being told we try to keep this area free on a Wednesday as the local biker meet up usually keeps us busy.

I also remember being at the local hospital having an x ray and being told we try to keep this area free on a Wednesday as the local biker meet up usually keeps us busy.

Is that because a high likelihood of RTAs, or the result of fights breaking out involving bikers?

Is that because a high likelihood of RTAs, or the result of fights breaking out involving bikers?

Its a very friendly gathering on the village green but you often get a few idiots coming unstuck whilst "showing off". Then of course there is the "sorry I didn't see you" brigade always ready to create new organ donors.

The only cyclists (or pedestrians, come to that) that I really have a problem with are the reckless, selfish, ignorant ones, and they tend to be individualistic - not part of a group. Sunday morning pelotons having a perfectly legitimate ride around the country - fine by me. It's everyone's countryside, right?

Yup.

One of the "joys" of the English countryside is the endless winding roads with pronounced camber and tall hedgerow, meaning that you can't see much f***her than the end of your nose and you forever have to adjust speed and swing the wheel to and fro, anticipating what is round the next corner. Being held up for a minute or two on the way to a (vitally important?) pub lunch or picnic is not, IMHO, a reason to go apoplectic at the sight of a spoked wheel.
The anti-cyclist brigade do not complain about roadworks, temporary traffic lights, cows being herded, a tractor on its way to another field, a fallen tree or the aftermath of a road accident with anything approaching the level of venom directed at cyclists - i.e. other human beings they regard as socially inferior. Snobbery has a lot to do with it,

I can't speak for others but snobbery has nothing to do with it, and I can't see how it can do.

despite the fact that most cyclists pay the astronomical running costs of a car but happen to enjoy cycling at various times in the week.

I dislike cyclists who cycle along winding busy B roads at rush hour as they cause long tail backs and the most annoying part is that most if not all have cars, and cycle for personal pleasure with no regard to the congestion they create.

I also dislike the more aggressive riders, which fortunately are rare where I live and work, who cycle dangerously. It was commonplace in Slough when I lived there.

I was once driving slowly along a residential road in Slough, when a child on a bike cycled down a steep driveway, hidden behind a hedge, and then shot into the road and hit my car, before earning his gliding licence, and doing his first unassisted landing. He was unhurt, which was good. But my car had a destroyed wing mirror, a destroyed tyre, and a huge dent in the wing. Hi ho.

One thing that really does need improving is cyclists' visibility. High viz jackets at the very least - one for the leader and a special one for the back rider with a 20, 30 or whatever to indicate how many cyclists there are in the group. A large embossed "THANKS!" wouldn't go amiss, either.

That also goes for pedestrians and horse riders who sometimes wear dark clothes. A month ago I was driving through a local village at the speed limit, and I was distracted bya large LED sign ahead showing my speed, along with a group of people wearing high viz vests and carrying notepads. I almost missed the pedestrian walking in the shadows along the road side. Ironic really.

<< I dislike cyclists who cycle along winding busy B roads at rush hour as they cause long tail backs and the most annoying part is that most if not all have cars, and cycle for personal pleasure with no regard to the congestion they create. >>

Although I no longer cycle, I must take exception to this. You are free to dislike cyclists, but they cause less 'congestion' than a car, which takes up much more road space.

Roads are primarily for the public to travel on, and if any road-user proceeds without causing wilful obstruction, you have no grounds for complaint. Your ability to travel faster, and thus feel frustration, is just an unfortunate side effect. So chill out and accept that the person in front got there first.

<< I dislike cyclists who cycle along winding busy B roads at rush hour as they cause long tail backs and the most annoying part is that most if not all have cars, and cycle for personal pleasure with no regard to the congestion they create. >>

Although I no longer cycle, I must take exception to this. You are free to dislike cyclists, but they cause less 'congestion' than a car, which takes up much more road space.

Roads are primarily for the public to travel on, and if any road-user proceeds without causing wilful obstruction, you have no grounds for complaint. Your ability to travel faster, and thus feel frustration, is just an unfortunate side effect. So chill out and accept that the person in front got there first.

Tell that to the driver stuck behind a group of slow-moving, inconsiderate cyclists (who don't pull over for a few seconds to let fast vehicles to pass, but delaying them by several minutes) for miles on end down a rural road where overtaking (especially when you're faced with a big group of cyclists or those riding two or three wide or who weave/ride recklessly.

There needs to be consideration on both sides.

<< Tell that to the driver stuck behind a group of slow-moving, inconsiderate cyclists (who don't pull over for a few seconds to let fast vehicles to pass, but delaying them by several minutes) for miles on end down a rural road ... >>

I don't need to, I'm a driver as well, and I get frustrated like anyone else. But it's just a consequence of many people wanting to use the same road, on different modes of transport. A horse rider or a slow tractor is equally awkward, but all have equal rights on the road - which, as you suggest, should not be abused.

<< Tell that to the driver stuck behind a group of slow-moving, inconsiderate cyclists (who don't pull over for a few seconds to let fast vehicles to pass, but delaying them by several minutes) for miles on end down a rural road ... >>

I don't need to, I'm a driver as well, and I get frustrated like anyone else. But it's just a consequence of many people wanting to use the same road, on different modes of transport. A horse rider or a slow tractor is equally awkward, but all have equal rights on the road - which, as you suggest, should not be abused.

I think the main difference is that horse riders and farm workers driving tractors are more considerate, often pulling over at lay-bys or waving people through when they can see further up the road (although that can be dangerous to rely on).

There are also far less of them, which means they don't hold people up that often. Many more cyclists on our roads these days, especially thanks to our continued success in that sport. A shame that a lot of amateurs behave poorly. That, as you say, does not excuse the bad behaviour of motorists, whether it's in response to similar from cyclists or other road users, especially when vehicles are used to bully and even threaten cyclists.

I myself have been driven at by car drivers, one because he was blocking a single lane road in a car park and I waved at him (polietley) and asked if he would move to let me pass. I broke my bike's wheel advoiding him hitting me. As I said, no side is blameless.

Horses don’t use busy winding roads at rush hour, and tractors do a decent but not fast speed. Plus we need farmers as we need food. We don’t need selfish people to use bikes instead of cars for commuting, with drivers going at 5 mph for many miles. Of course they have a right to cycle, just as I have a right to highlight their thoughtless inconsiderate behaviour. And yes I abhor anyone who in any way endangers cyclists and they should be arrested. I used to cycle, but along non busy countryside roads. As for bikes reducing congestion, what utter rot.

<< Horses don’t use busy winding roads at rush hour, and tractors do a decent but not fast speed. Plus we need farmers as we need food. We don’t need selfish people to use bikes instead of cars for commuting, with drivers going at 5 mph for many miles. Of course they have a right to cycle, just as I have a right to highlight their thoughtless inconsiderate behaviour. And yes I abhor anyone who in any way endangers cyclists and they should be arrested. I used to cycle, but along non busy countryside roads. As for bikes reducing congestion, what utter rot. >>

This stuff isn't worthy of comment. It just sounds like a modern-day Mr.Toad.

<< Horses don’t use busy winding roads at rush hour, and tractors do a decent but not fast speed. Plus we need farmers as we need food. We don’t need selfish people to use bikes instead of cars for commuting, with drivers going at 5 mph for many miles. Of course they have a right to cycle, just as I have a right to highlight their thoughtless inconsiderate behaviour. And yes I abhor anyone who in any way endangers cyclists and they should be arrested. I used to cycle, but along non busy countryside roads. As for bikes reducing congestion, what utter rot. >>

This stuff isn't worthy of comment. It just sounds like a modern-day Mr.Toad.

Nope. I think you’ll find most people are annoyed by rush hour cyclists on narrow winding roads who create tail backs.

<< I think you’ll find most people are annoyed by rush hour cyclists on narrow winding roads who create tail backs >>

Of course they are. But the cyclists do not set out to deliberately 'create tailbacks', it arises from the number and speed of the road users, and the width of the road. Those cyclists may be beneficial in not adding to the pollution caused by the cars. Unless you can argue successfully that slower road users should be banned to make life easier for the rest, I should just learn to live with it.

<< I think you’ll find most people are annoyed by rush hour cyclists on narrow winding roads who create tail backs >>

Of course they are. But the cyclists do not set out to deliberately 'create tailbacks', it arises from the number and speed of the road users, and the width of the road. Those cyclists may be beneficial in not adding to the pollution caused by the cars. Unless you can argue successfully that slower road users should be banned to make life easier for the rest, I should just learn to live with it.

It’s pure selfishness and lack of concern for their impact on others. As for reduction of pollution, the long tailbacks suggest otherwise.

I agree with Leif on this - think of it this way - what would a cyclist do if a load of ramblers or people on horseback took up the entire width of the carriageway on their side and for several metres down the road, moving at very slow speed (well below normal cycling speed), even on downhill sections, but the cyclist couldn't see round sufficiently to overtake? And that this continued on for, say 2 miles or more?

The number of times I've seen cyclists not look over their shoulders to see what's behind in this regard shows how poor a cyclist they are, never mind inconsiderate. I believe that being a considerate road user is in the Highway Code as well. When I cycle, all doing so and letting vehicles past just dealys me by a minute at most. Hardly much of an inconvenience, especially when the result is happier drivers and less pollution overall.

Inconsiderate cyclists are, in my view, no different to having a bloke with a red flag walking in front of your car. Doing so creates a LOT of pollution. All it takes for the cyclist(s) to be considerate is to occasionally pull in to a layby etc for a few seconds to let the traffic behind pass. As I said, that's what farm workers mostly do. Just because cycles came before cars, doesn't mean they own the road - they deserve some consideration, but so do motorists.

A bit of consideration and give and take from both sides wouldn't go amiss.

Steady on AE, this could be another unanswerable question about which is the more entitled special interest or minority group, where it'll be the majority who are from nether camp but who simply go to work and pay for everything get the blame, usual UK solution.

The country is now overcrowded and its going to get a hell of a lot worse because no one is going to stop further population increase, whichever group feels more entitled at any given time we're all going to just have to get along together and make allowances for each other.

Steady on AE, this could be another unanswerable question about which is the more entitled special interest or minority group, where it'll be the majority who are from nether camp but who simply go to work and pay for everything get the blame, usual UK solution.

The country is now overcrowded and its going to get a hell of a lot worse because no one is going to stop further population increase, whichever group feels more entitled at any given time we're all going to just have to get along together and make allowances for each other.

Noone is more entitled. As someone said, farm vehicles often pull over for a minute. Yes the country is overcrowded, in part because so many people are in the south east, and in part because we are twice as densely populated as some countries such as France. And the modern culture of changing jobs every few years, and commuting many miles, doesn’t help.

Here's why (as someone who has ofetn worked in city areas, particularly London, and have seen the worst of cyclists) I don't hold all other cyclists in high regard:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/09/10/watch-cyclist-.../

I personally witness a very similar incident whilst I was at Univeristy when a cycle courier, cycling the wrong way down Tottenham Court Road, did exactly the same, smashed at speed into a pedestrain crossing at a set of traffic lights crossing, knocking them down, then swearing at the person and everyone else before cycling away, even when the person lay injured IN THE ROAD with traffic coming towards them.

Cyclists aren't all like this, nor are pedestrians or other road users, but we must recognise no group has entirely clean hands. This sort of incident (though without the head-butting) I have seen numerous time in London, as I have with swarms of cyclists hogging the entire width of the road, as well as car, van and HGV drivers trying to knock otherwise innocent cyclists off because they delayed them by a few seconds.

One thing I didn't notice at first with that report is that it was in the same area as the incidents I witnessed whilst working in London - Farringdon being very bad (the junctions around the Mount Pleasant postal sorting office being REALLY bad). Not surprised this happened at all.

invincible pedestrians - FoxyJukebox

There is a zebra crossing without "lights" at the Muswell Hill roundabout in N.London which totally irritates me. Pedestrians in pairs seem to have the habit of crossing one at a time, waiting till the other has reached the other side before setting out across themselves. No looking left or right-just a total glare at a stopped vehicle driver-never even a mimed "thankyou ". If you so much as dare slowly move forward-vocal abuse, handwaving and even knocking on windows inevitably follows. Lights please. This is a very busy roundabout and the traffic queue is chronic.

Edited by Dogfuzz on 06/09/2019 at 15:35

There is a zebra crossing without "lights" at the Muswell Hill roundabout in N.London which totally irritates me. Pedestrians in pairs seem to have the habit of crossing one at a time, waiting till the other has reached the other side before setting out across themselves. No looking left or right-just a total glare at a stopped vehicle driver-never even a mimed "thankyou ". If you so much as dare slowly move forward-vocal abuse, handwaving and even knocking on windows inevitably follows. Lights please. This is a very busy roundabout and the traffic queue is chronic.

So many pedestrians (especially younger generations) these days are ingrossed in their mobile phone to know if any vehicles bothered to stop - I'm surprised there aren't more serious accidents as a result. I remember reading on the Interweb that somewhere - Australia or Canada I think, the government started putting crossing light repeaters at kerb level so these oiks could see if it was safe to cross.

So much for the Green Cross Code. (So-called) Smart Mobile phones and social media have a lot to answer for.

invincible pedestrians - Avant

I'd hoped that Dogfuzz had managed to get this thread back to pedestrians - but no such luck.

Haven't we all had enough of threads about cyclists v. motorists?

Yes!

Yes!

They’re fine with me as long as the discourse remains temperate. Some cyclists need to realise why some of them annoy car drivers, just as some car drivers need to show more respect for cyclists.

They’re fine with me as long as the discourse remains temperate. Some cyclists need to realise why some of them annoy car drivers, just as some car drivers need to show more respect for cyclists.

Some times it's six versus two lots of three.

Other times people just won't see facts.

Main access to this 'village' is an unclassified county road that was once the B4525. As such it's fit for purpose single carriageway with good road markings. Usage is mostly cars but it's on bus routes including those feeding a large 11-18 comprehensive, there's a big flour mill and a couple other commercial users and as it runs through fields there are tractors, combines etc from time to time.

On one side is a pavement designated for shared use with cyclists, the surface is loose gravel (or perhaps macadam that's not been maintained since laying in 1969). It's easy to ride on 26" MTB wheels and passable with care on a Brompton but impossible to handle on a 27x11/4 wheel touring machine or the 700C by <28 wheels on a road bike.

You wouldn't believe the fuss people make because they have to wait to pass a cyclist on the road. As you might expect I'm super careful about passing bikes and I don't think, in 30 years of daily use I've ever been held up more than 30seconds. Apparently any cyclist on the road is inconsiderate, risking their life, ruining lives of others etc.

If a bike can't handle the loose surface then it should be illegal. Cyclists on the road should be prosecuted.

Why are people so stupid?

A lack of common sense and no concern for anyone but them and theirs at the time?

One point I especially agree on is how poor road maintenance (including and especially of drains and dealing with potholes) often forces cyclists, and to some extent, other very vulnerable road users such as motorcyclists and horse riders to move further and further away from the kerb and/or have to suddenly swerve to avoid hidden holes, depressions in the roadway or debris left from bad weather or fly-tipping/littering. hardly conducive to being safe on the road, for anyone.

I myself experienced a blow-out on my cycle's rear tyre whilst riding along a cycle path adjacent to the A1 - luckily, I didn't come off, as I could've careered into a 3 lane road and likely been killed. A former colleague who also owned a fold-up bicycle with small wheels (not some if it was a Brompton) had a serious accident in central London whilst cycling to a meeting, because he didn't see a pothole or sunken drain and went over the handlbars, getting a broken arm (I think) and another (not the first time, apparently) concussion for his trouble.

Rarely are road swept any more, so burst tyres are getting more common for cyclists (that happened to me many a time, far more in more recent years), more people drop litter/flytip (including sharps like screws, nails, other building materials) plus in built up areas, you have to dodge the plethora of broken glass etc from the last week's drunks.

I've seen a good number of people throwing stuff out of their car windows, but being by myself and no dashcam to help me have no way of reporting them. I also think that quite a few motorists scrimp so much on maintenance of their vehicles that bits falling off also contribute to this problem. In my area, I regularly see what looks like suspension parts on the road.

The question in all of this is are we as a society going to stop just blaming everyone else and pitch in together to improve the situation. We shouldn't just be saying it's down to the local Council, government, Police, politicians etc (who do have a big role to play), but we ourselves do have to shoulder a good deal of responsibility, even if we personally aren't directly causing the problem.

I have personal experience (including just this morning, as I'm sure many others here do) in trying to improve things in my local and wider community, but regularly come up against apathy and laziness amongst most people who 'don't want to get involved' and think that it's entirely down to the (often cash-strapped and/or otherwise very busy tending to other problems) 'authorities', but you get similar defeatist atitudes and jobsworths in such organisations as well.

My town had a reasonably well publicised set of Town meetings to discuss problems, possible new developments etc a year or two ago, and how many ordinary people turned up each time? 30 (tops) out of about 15,000 (i.e. 0.2%). They can hardly complain if nothing gets done if people only mumble under their breath or vent to their TV/radio or online.

Lovely country we live in at the moment. Sadly, the alternatives aren't any better.

Lovely country we live in at the moment. Sadly, the alternatives aren't any better.

No, they aren't...when you live in the best place no where will be as good.

Best of a (currently) very bad lot, IMHO.

Best of a (currently) very bad lot, IMHO.

So you don't think any county in the world is any good?