Ford Mondeo - Best way to move on an MOT failure - S40 Man

Any suggestions as how to move on my Mondeo estate 2.0 .TDCI 08 plate on 219k

It failed MOT for roll bar bush, CV boot, 2 tyres and an exhaust leak in engine bay (egr recirc pipe I think). I got a quote from local garage and it maybe £700 to fix but obvious less if I DIY it. Structurally car is ok but has been slightly unreliable lately.

Options I can see are:

scrap it

Try and flog on eBay as spares/repairs

DIY repair and flog it with a new ticket (value with high mileage would I recover even parts cost?)

Take any potentially worthwhile bits of (lights, wing mirrors etc) the scrap what's left.

I've got myself a new car and can park the old mondy off road ok.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ford Mondeo - Best way to move on an MOT failure - Big John

That's not a bad fail - especially as it includes two tyres that should have been replaced anyway as they must have been illegal. £700 for a years motoring isn’t too bad. I think you felt it was time for a new car anyway.

It is amazing what you can get on ebay for spares/repair sometimes! - however Roll bar bushes and CV boot easiyish repair presuming stuff comes to bits. Exhaust leak in engine bay could be something more difficult /expensive especially if it is DPF related (er if it has one which it probably has at this age!) - Presumably it passed it emissions test then when it failed , it is this that is catching a lot of cars out this year since the test changed!

Ford Mondeo - Best way to move on an MOT failure - Avant

I don't think you'd recover the cost of getting it through the MoT even if you put it on Ebay: the mileage and the diesel engine will put punters off.

Ebay as spares / repairs is probably your best bet; failing that it'll have to be the scrappy.

Ford Mondeo - Best way to move on an MOT failure - SLO76
Personally I’d just scrap it and save the hassle. You might gain a few hundred quid stripping it for bits on your drive before scrapping it but no one will pay more than £700 for a 219,000 mile 11yr old Mondeo even with a years ticket and if you keep it you could find it costing for repairs every other month as again the full car is old with a massive mileage. I’d bin it and buy something newer.
Ford Mondeo - Best way to move on an MOT failure - mss1tw

eBay spares or repair with a full description of good and bad points is all I do here. Disarming honesty results in a reasonable sale price. I still speak with the guy who bought my old Berlingo, and the head gasket went on that after a year (Again, all covered in the eBay advert that something wasn't right with it)

Ford Mondeo - Best way to move on an MOT failure - Engineer Andy

Any suggestions as how to move on my Mondeo estate 2.0 .TDCI 08 plate on 219k

It failed MOT for roll bar bush, CV boot, 2 tyres and an exhaust leak in engine bay (egr recirc pipe I think). I got a quote from local garage and it maybe £700 to fix but obvious less if I DIY it. Structurally car is ok but has been slightly unreliable lately.

Options I can see are:

scrap it

Try and flog on eBay as spares/repairs

DIY repair and flog it with a new ticket (value with high mileage would I recover even parts cost?)

Take any potentially worthwhile bits of (lights, wing mirrors etc) the scrap what's left.

I've got myself a new car and can park the old mondy off road ok.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I bet that a decent portion of that is an (pun intended) over-inflated price for the two new tyres - when I was getting some replacement alloy wheels (fixed price) for my aging Mazda3, I needed to replace all four tyres as well (different sized alloys and the tyres were 6 yo anyway, the age I replaced them last time)

My dealership quoted me a whopping £85 each (I can't remember if that included fitting or not), whilst I could source them from BlackCircles for £51 each (including delivery and discounts) and get the dealer to fit them for £10 each, saving me nearly £25 a tyre.

Talking to neighbours, friends, family members and work colleagues over the years, the vast majority of them found that dealerships (main or otherwise) significantly overcharged for the buying of tyres, even though most of them have deals in place with local wholesalers or fitters, presumably to get them discounts on the products.

You could be being overcharged by £50 or more (especially for tyres of 17in or bigger - mine were only 15in and of a very popular size combo) - you may also find that the choice of make/model of tyre can also make a huge difference to the price, even when staying in a 'quality' bracket. Look up your tyre size on the TyreReviews website for both testing results and owner reviews (both for size combo and for your make/model of car) to find the best one in terms of value for money and performance/safety/mpg etc.

I'd get some alternate quotes for the work first, and to separate out the general repairs from the tyre changes.

Ford Mondeo - Best way to move on an MOT failure - carl233

The issues listed could be repaired for a reasonable figure DIY or at a competitive garage. My own Mondeo which is older is on 264k miles now and I am not planning to retire it within the near future. Will retire it at around 300k simply because it will be time for a change by then.

Ford Mondeo - Best way to move on an MOT failure - John F

The issues listed could be repaired for a reasonable figure DIY or at a competitive garage.

Agreed - and in most towns you will find a back street used tyre garage which is supplied by rapacious outfits underestimating tread depth on perfectly good tyres with thousands of miles left on them.

Edited by John F on 03/09/2019 at 11:49

Ford Mondeo - Best way to move on an MOT failure - S40 Man

Just to tie this one up, today I sold the old mondy for £230. I thought this was a reasonable price given mileage and condition. The V5 bit I got said it was a garage and the chap had trade plates.

Maybe it will get a new ticket and carry on being used? I'll look out for it in a few weeks anyway. Sad to see it go really it was a good car I took it from 100k to 219k and it only cost £4300 7 years ago, around £500 p.a is pretty good in my book.

I placed add on gumtree by the way and got loads of response.

Ford Mondeo - Best way to move on an MOT failure - RT

Just to tie this one up, today I sold the old mondy for £230. I thought this was a reasonable price given mileage and condition. The V5 bit I got said it was a garage and the chap had trade plates.

Maybe it will get a new ticket and carry on being used? I'll look out for it in a few weeks anyway. Sad to see it go really it was a good car I took it from 100k to 219k and it only cost £4300 7 years ago, around £500 p.a is pretty good in my book.

I placed add on gumtree by the way and got loads of response.

Depreciation of 3.4p/mile - can't be bad.

Ford Mondeo - Best way to move on an MOT failure - SLO76
A good example of how to run a car cheaply assuming there weren’t too many big bills along the way. Had you been spending the average £300 a month on a typical PCP or lease car you’ve been £21,130 worse off. Plus you’ve probably saved on being able to use cheaper garages for servicing and I’ll bet it’s been a comfy old thing too. Well done.
Ford Mondeo - Best way to move on an MOT failure - Andrew-T

Do you think its recorded mileage might be adjusted before resale perhaps ?