Alhambra 2ltr TD Ecomotive 2013 - Seat Turbo Failure - gingersquirrel
We have a 2013 Seat Alhambra 2.0 ltr td, owned since new and fully maintained on an annual servicing basis - I’m not a fan of longlife services.

In June we had the EA189 Emissions Fix service action carried out. This was essentially sorting out the emissions cheat software. 8 weeks later the turbo failed and we lost all power - the engine was running but the car was barely moving.

SEAT have refused to help in anyway with this issue. They’re stating the emissions fix would t affect the turbo, so it isn’t covered by their ‘trust building measure’ in relations to emissions fix. This is despite it happening weeks after the fix; the car has only covered 83k miles.

Interestingly, they intimated that if the car had been serviced within the dealer network they would have made a goodwill contribution.

I know of one other Alhambra owner - similar age/mileage and same model - who has had exactly the same failure in similar circumstances also within weeks of the emissions fix update. Are anymore people suffering from SEAT lack of customer care?

Edited by gingersquirrel on 20/08/2019 at 16:50

Alhambra 2ltr TD Ecomotive 2013 - Seat Turbo Failure - skidpan
Interestingly, they intimated that if the car had been serviced within the dealer network they would have made a goodwill contribution.

Its 6 years old and long out of warranty. And since it seems it has been serviced outside the official dealer network you do not stand any chance whatsoever of getting help

UNLESS

You can prove that

a) the service work carried out has been exactly to Seats specifications

and

b) you have proof that the update caused the failure.

In all honesty if the 2nd was the case there would be more than a couple of cases of cars using this engine having failures.

Edited by skidpan on 20/08/2019 at 16:58

Interestingly my Audi A3 had ABS failure in yr 6 - maintained outside Audi network - Audi UK met 70% of costs.

This just stinks of SEAT lack of customer care. Of course it’s impossible for me to prove the Service action caused the failure. Just highly coincidental.

Car has been serviced exactly to SEAT standards - I have all invoices specifying parts used and oil spec & quantities.

I’d love to hear from anyone else so far affected. This speaks volumes:

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20.../

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.driving.co.uk/news/dies.../

Alhambra 2ltr TD Ecomotive 2013 - Seat Turbo Failure - skidpan
Interestingly my Audi A3 had ABS failure in yr 6 - maintained outside Audi network - Audi UK met 70% of costs.

That is possibly because the ABS system does not actually require any specific maintenance with regards to the failure.

Turbo failure is attributable in many cases to the wrong oil, and if its the wrong spec you have no chance.

When I had a Seat the selling dealer was poor but Seat Customer Services sorted it all out and gave me financial compensation without asking.

Our old neighbours son had a 1.2 TSi A1 which had a noisy cam chain at 5 years old. No idea about the service history (I suspect it would be Audi) but they contributed 50% to a very expensive bill.

Edited by skidpan on 20/08/2019 at 18:29

Re the Audi, they wouldn’t have contributed if we hadn’t followed the brake fluid change it intervals. This is what frustrates me with SEAT - there are no end of reported problems resulting from the Emissions fix but as a brand they seem to be making it nearly impossible for people to get fair support. Its totally destroyed my faith in their brand, and to a degree in VAG themselves.

Major engine faults shouldn’t occur in the manner that ours has.