It will have been asked before.... - TonyEnglish
...but I couldn\'t find it.

What is the best course of action to take after somebody hits your car and pink fluffy dice off. It looks like nobody saw it. No details were left. I have contacted my insurance company and will be getting a quote tomorrow. Is it worth contacting the police? Whatever hit me was white and my car is a reaally dark (almost black) green i.e. not a common colour.

Also, there is a paint mark on the left front tyre. I take it that it would be wise to get than checked out as I have a 200 mile drive back home this evening.
It will have been asked before.... - Altea Ego
Look around the area for any CCTV cameras that may have captured the incident.
No it was a residential street. Nothing around
It will have been asked before.... - TrevP
"paint mark on the left front tyre"

Presumably you were parked in a one-way street?
No it was not one way. I was just parked on the opposite side of the road. I parked on the 'wrong side of the road' facing the oncomming traffic opposite a driveway.
It will have been asked before.... - Dwight Van Driver
Not at night Tony for that is bad news it being an offence
(101(1) Con Use regs)

I would have a word with Plod as if your favourite star has been looking over you the other guy, having caused damage to your vehicle, may have reported it. Well you never know....

DVD
It will have been asked before.... - cockle {P}
I would have a word with Plod as if your favourite
star has been looking over you the other guy, having caused
damage to your vehicle, may have reported it. Well you
never know....
DVD

>>

Tony, if he/she has done as DVD suggests then make sure you buy a Lotto ticket this weekend!!!!

Unfortunately, I think this is going to be one of those occasions when you are going to be glad that you are FC rather than TPFT, won't make you feel good next renewal time but I'm afraid that's life. Just a pity the world isn't full of upright, honest people.

Cockle
Good and bad news.

I parked up on the road where it happened and a guy came running out of his house to tell me that he had seen it all and reported it to plod. He had reported an earlier incident on the road when a rowdy bunch had left a pub further up, using 999. I went to Uxbridge police station who have no record of any incidents on the raod in question, although the police did drive down the road after the event. The witness gave the make, model and reg details of the car involved. I was given out a form to fill in which relates to what I saw of the incident. Since I was asleep and saw nothing, I suggested that the witness would be the best person to fill the form in. The police now want me to go to see the witness and fill in the form together. Isn't taking statements plod's job? I'm goinmg to push that back there way.

Apparantly, one of the people causing the disturbance was drunk, got into his car and reversed into mine. I find it hard to imagine how a 999 call is not traceable.
It will have been asked before.... - self righteous old git
I find it hard to imagine how a 999 call is not traceable.

They are - and recorded.
It will have been asked before.... - Andrew-T
Tony - why do you expect the cops to follow this one up for you, if they can't trace their 999 calls? DIY.
It will have been asked before.... - Dwight Van Driver
Tony

If there is some substantial damage to your car then there is an obligation for the other party to (1) Stop and (2) Give personal details ( name, address and that of the owner and VRM) to any person having reasonable grounds. If he does not comply with (2) then it should be reported to Police within 24 hrs. (Sect 170 RTA 1988). failure on both points is an offence.

I would suggest that you revisit the Police Station and ask to speak to Duty Inspector/ Supervision. Reiterate (as cooly as possible) the circumstances and point out that in addition to possible offence of careless driving (Sect 3 RTA 88) other offences in relation to stop and report have been committed.

As a person whose taxes go to pay for Police service then you should have this matter investigated. You have a witness and details of the vehicle responsible so half the Polices work has been done.

I shake my head in disbelief at tales like this when a bit of communication by Police to Public would keep Joe Public on the side of Police instead of putting their backs up.

There is a Police Compalints system.

DVD