Daewoo Matiz - Strange problem with ignition system - rustonboy

Strange problem with my Daewoo Matiz “xtra cool” (1.0 petrol manual 2004)

Got home last night and parked little Stacey as usual, turned ignition key to off position but the engine continued to run. Removed key and the engine continued to run. Put car in 4th gear and stalled engine to stop it. All ignition panel lights on - even with key removed. Reinsert key and try to start engine – no response. Turning key to activate starter motor has no effect – and no feeling of springy resistance normally felt when activating starter motor.

So all ignition lights on with or without key in ignition. Looked under the bonnet. Faint humming whine coming from fuel injection unit on top of engine (where air intake arrives). Recall that a similar noise normally continues for a few seconds after turning off the engine, but now it does not stop. Looked in fuse box. Removed 3 main relays – no effect – all instrument panel lights still on and whining noise still there. Removed ECM fuses: whining noise stopped but instrument panel lights still on. Removing and replacing one of the ECM fuses makes the whining change note and produces a faint clunk from inside the fuel injection unit.

Plugged in cheap scan tool to diagnostic plug – no MIL codes. Disconnected battery and came inside for a cup of tea and to scratch my head and worry about the holes in my wallet - then went to bed. More head scratching today, then remembered you clever lot :-) any ideas?

Many thanks ...

Daewoo Matiz - Strange problem with ignition system - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like a faulty ignition switch or the drive pin behind the ignition lock/ barrel has sheared off.

Thank you for quick diagnosis - of course that makes sense - the stem at the end of the barrel must have sheared off. I found a Russian video on YOUTUBE which has pretty good demonstration of how to fix (even though I did not understand the spoken commentary). Managed to remove the barrel - sure enough, the end of the drive pin had broken off. It must still be stuck inside the receiver part on the left-hand side of the steering column. That is now my problem - removing the receiver part. The electrical contacts simply pulled off, but I need to reach the small grub screw which holds the receiver in place, and there is no room. The Russian vid has less plastic clutter (all modern gizmos are clutter as far as I am concerned) attached to the steering column. I need a tiny screwdriver with a right-angled head and a ratchet drive! Otherwise might have to remove steering wheel - the hole gets deeper, but at least there is some light now ... Thanks again for your help :-)

Progress - made tiny screwdriver tool out of a nail. Bent over the end and sawed off the point, then filed down to make flat blade to use a screwdriver. A bit laborious as the grub screw could only be seen with a small mirror to locate the orientation of the slot, then could only turn the screw bit by bit with the tool due to lack of access, but found I could turn it with fingers once it had emerged a bit, and yippee - receiver part (actual rotary electrical switch) of ignition came free. Ordered a new barrel and key from ebay (£10) - hope it all works when I put it back together.

I think you may run into trouble with this. The current key will be coded to the car immobiliser, as it has a chip embedded into it . A new random key will not be programmed, so the car will not start.

That is a good point - thanks. It made me think that I need a Plan B. If the new part does not work, I will chuck it and re-install the old barrel with the broken drive blade end. I can then use the old key to keep the immobilizer happy and disengage the steering lock as before. But I will not re-install the receiving part, i.e. the rotating electrical switch that normally receives the end of the drive blade, but simply use a screwdriver with slightly adapted blade as a key to turn that. I did try this just now and it works to the extent that I was able to start and stop the engine. Maybe then fix the receiving part somewhere appropriate. Not quite the same level of security - compromise is a sorry breakfast, but life is a cheap canteen. Thanks again for your help :-)

Another possibility is to install the new parts , and hold the old key up to the immobilser pick up ring ,when you want to start the engine. Once started ,the old key can be removed away from the vicinity of the pick up point. The coded immobiliser chip is only needed for starting, not needed for running.

That's a better idea - much neater that way. I will make that my Plan B if the new kit does not do the job on its own. Thanks again for all your help :-)

Good progress and ultimately success, though all a bit tricky. You were right about the immobiliser code of the new part not working. I had hoped it would work as the new part includes both the key with transponder and the pick-up ring on the barrel. But even if they do match each other, they are obviously sending the wrong code to the ECM. So using plan B, have inserted old key into old part and left it wrapped in neoprene cushion behind the dashboard. No chance of losing the old key that way (have no spare). Lack of Russian meant I missed the bit in the video about filing to a diagonal one of the projecting parts of the new barrel so that it could slip over the sprung steering lock mechanism. Got that figured, but still needed to file of yet another small part (again due to steering lock mechanism) as otherwise could not insert barrel with key at position II as required (and as instructed in the workshop manual - found online – not very helpful on this occasion). Remembered at last minute to set receiving part at key position II before reinstalling, so that it could accept drive pin at position II. All installed okay at last – and went for a drive! So now have new key for ignition lock and a copy of old key for door locks. Bonus: I can have copies of these made and they will all work! I just hope there is no disadvantage to leaving the old transponder key in the old barrel with old pick-up ring behind the dash. Maybe a flat battery? We will see... If can be disheartening finding this kind of problem, but your help made it all seem less daunting, so many thanks again for your good advice and tips :-)

You should have no problem at all if there is a flat battery. The transponder chip is a passive device that needs no power .