Seat Leon FR - Offside Door/Sill repair - sw19leon

Morning all,

Looking for a third opinion here. Came out to my car Saturday morning to find a learner driver had dinged the offside door and sill while parallel parking - picture linked below. No blame there as he must have been mortified (you'd hope). Long story short his dad has offered to pay for the damage to save his son's premium from going down the toilet forevermore.

I've had a couple of quotes this morning, one for a full door and sill replacement (£1,650) and one for a standard panel beater and repaint job (£720). The second garage said if it was on insurance they'd have to replace the door, and I'm minded to go for the full door replacement as first garage (while self-interested) said to get anywhere near the right finish both things would have to be replaced. Just wanted to run it past a forum I trust to see if this was reasonable.

Thanks all (hopefully the link below works)

i.imgur.com/pbvYBZX.jpg

Seat Leon FR - Offside Door/Sill repair - sammy1

All depends on how charitable you are. Both repairs if done professionally will give a good result.

All depends on how charitable you are. Both repairs if done professionally will give a good result.

Thanks, I thought as much to be honest but having had another repair done on insurance recently (bus hit my offside front wing and drove off) I was impressed by the quality of the replacement.

Seat Leon FR - Offside Door/Sill repair - craig-pd130

It looks to me like the sill would repair / pull out OK (and most of the damage there is on the 'stonechip' part of the lower sill) but my 10p worth is that the door is a replacement job, lots of wrinkles on it.

Seat Leon FR - Offside Door/Sill repair - gordonbennet

The door skin would need a seriously good panel beater to make it right, possible to do but time consuming.

The sill should be no issue to fill and make good, and i'd rather not disturb the welded shell of the car if possible, due to future corrosion issues....though has the car been jacked up under the sill at the front, it looks to be dented from underneath or is that the shape to accommodate the jacking point.

Make doubly sure they are fitting a complete new door if you go that far and not reskinning the present one, again future corrosion issues.

The lads dad will probably have a rethink at the cost involved.

The door skin would need a seriously good panel beater to make it right, possible to do but time consuming.

The sill should be no issue to fill and make good, and i'd rather not disturb the welded shell of the car if possible, due to future corrosion issues....though has the car been jacked up under the sill at the front, it looks to be dented from underneath or is that the shape to accommodate the jacking point.

Make doubly sure they are fitting a complete new door if you go that far and not reskinning the present one, again future corrosion issues.

The lads dad will probably have a rethink at the cost involved.

Thanks very much. The panel beater quoted me around 10 hours of labour (£440). Probably about right I'd say too.

Yes, the front sill damage is my error. Had to free a stone trapped in the brake disc. My car before was an 2008 A3 and that was where the jack point was. Didn't bother to check and presto - a dented sill, the jack point is further back...

I've attached both quotes below. I would presume by the cost of the second this would be for a full new door but will check.

imgur.com/a/5tZwQhW (both quotes)

Seat Leon FR - Offside Door/Sill repair - bathtub tom

How old's the car, and how long do you intend to keep it?

I used to think repairs were always visible, especially as the years went by, but now I'm not so sure. If you can get a decent warranty with both repairs and intend getting rid of the car within that period........................................................................................

Seat Leon FR - Offside Door/Sill repair - catsdad
Its difficult to choose and be fair to both parties. I would go for the cheaper option if I were paying it myself so thats the one I would go for when someone else is paying. Whichever option you choose the paint finish will be at risk of not matching over time but (if they are good companies) there is no reason that the panel beaten door will look different to a wholly new one.

Coincidentally I scraped the lower part of my sill along a rock at the weekend with much more severe damage than the OP's. Its made a dent/crease at least a foot long and up to an inch deep. Horrible to look at and I was dreading it needing a new panel with the inherent risk of welding rust. I went to a locally recommended body shop for a price this morning. Very much not a glass palace. He said it was tricky as it was so deep but he can pull it out and spray/underseal for £260 plus VAT. Not bad at all I thought.