Honda Civic - Honda civic insurance claim bumper damage - Rusties

After 2 years of no problem driving in my 58 Honda civic someone went into the back k of me this morning.

Looks to be a cracked dented back bumper, tge other party wanted to sort it out without going through the insurance " my uncles a mechanic " " just a scratch and it will affect your premium "

Ignored him and phoned up my insurers once I got home.. They said it looked to be a straight forward case and said a garage / courtesy car will be in touch.

It's a 58/59 civic with 77k on the clock.

A friend said they may right off the car as the damage even though minor will work out too expensive / hassle to set out once they figure in the courtesy car.

The insurer said that the garage will arrange to collect the car even though I only live 15 mins away.

Any ideas the best way to go forward.. Probably worrying about nothing but a bit if a shock.

Thanks

Honda Civic - Honda civic insurance claim bumper damage - Lee Power

It depends on what is damaged behind the bumper.

Bumpers these days are simply light coloured plastic covers that hide all the shock absorbing material & crash structure - if things are damaged behind the bumper then is highly likely to be written off.

You need to wait to hear what the body shop say after inspecting the damage to your car.

Honda Civic - Honda civic insurance claim bumper damage - gordonbennet

Presumably you have the insurance details of the other party, if you contact them directly (and the chap that hit you has told them the truth), they are likely to bend over backwards to collect and fix your car and provide you with a courtesy car.

Honda Civic - Honda civic insurance claim bumper damage - SLO76
Let the insurance firm deal with it and make sure any offer of a loan car comes from them or you might land a nasty bill at the end of it.

The car is worth around £2,000-£2,500 depending on condition and history so it’s possible they’ll write it off as Honda parts aren’t cheap. It’s a 50-50 situation whether they’ll repair it but don’t let the other party near it. A dodgy poor quality repair will deteriorate quickly.
Honda Civic - Honda civic insurance claim bumper damage - bazza

The bumper is just trim, there's a wacking big metal bar behind it that would take a fair old bump to damage. So unless it was a substantial clout, your car is probably ok. It might have been easier to just change the bumper or repair it but Honda parts are expensive, that plus fitting may well write it off. So if they do, you can buy it back as a cat d or whatever and find a bumper on eBay for about £100 quid, get it sorted and carry on regardless.

Honda Civic - Honda civic insurance claim bumper damage - Falkirk Bairn

Same scenario 10 years ago - young lad slams into the back of a son's 2 yr old Civic.

Took 5 days in the body shop of the insurers choice - £1,000 as there was bumper & trim + some metal bashing. 3rd party coughed for that & hire car.

Thanks for everyone for taking the time out to reply..

Just received a phone call from the authorised garage asking me to bring it in when I get time ( they are only 10 mins away) .

Will try attempt to repair the bumper or just replace it, concerned they might repair it and then. I've got the issue of explaining if I ever come to sell.

Taking it in tommorow morning and will update once I know more.

Thanks again

. .

Honda Civic - Honda civic insurance claim bumper damage - focussed

I think I'm right in saying that Honda body plastics come in colour according to the paint code of the car, a bumper moulding is about £400 so could be an easy job with not much labour.

Honda Civic - Honda civic insurance claim bumper damage - Andrew-T

Will try attempt to repair the bumper or just replace it, concerned they might repair it and then. I've got the issue of explaining if I ever come to sell.

If the damage is light enough to repair without claiming, you should have no reason to explain anything when selling. If the insurers write the car off and you buy it back for repair, the DVLA record will show that bit of history and explanations will be asked for.

Just got back from the garage... They just took a few pictures and booked me in for. Monday for a inspection.

If they do decide to write it off ( the guy said unlikely) do they put it back to how it pre inspection?

Just dropped off the car at the garage, they said it will.need a new bumper. Grill and metal bar behind the bumper from a quick visual check.

They said they should be able to get the car sorted by the weekend if not early next week.

Would they have already agreed to fix the car with the third party insurance company or could I get a phone call to say that it will be written off?

Honda Civic - Honda civic insurance claim bumper damage - elekie&a/c doctor
Could be a relatively cheap repair with no painting needed . Genuine Honda bumpers used to be supplied in factory colour . Can’t see it being a write off.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 06/08/2019 at 22:24

Honda Civic - Honda civic insurance claim bumper damage - Zippy123

In 2002 I had a new Avensis and someone went in to the back of me at about 10MPH. There was only a slight deformation of the bumper and a small scuff.

The driver was the owner of a garage and offered to sort it out by the next day.

It was a company car and the company insisted it go to their lease company who reported a deformed rear section and rippled boot floor. Cost nearly £5k to fix I recall.

Honda Civic - Honda civic insurance claim bumper damage - focussed
Could be a relatively cheap repair with no painting needed . Genuine Honda bumpers used to be supplied in factory colour . Can’t see it being a write off.

That's wot I said earlier!

Honda Civic - Honda civic insurance claim bumper damage - elekie&a/c doctor
Sorry , missed that replay , so seconded!!