Vauxhall Meriva - 2011 Vauxhall Meriva ABS/TC issue - ma9gm

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice on what to do.

I took my car to a garage (Vauxhall Meriva 2011 reg) because it had 5 lights on. 2 lights regarding ABS, 2 lights regarding TC, and the engine light. The garage said it was the front right abs sensor and they replaced it. They wipped the codes and all seemed ok. Howeve r, as I drove home the lights came back on. So I took it back.

They then said it must be the wheel bearing. So they charged that. But that didn't seem to fix the problem and the lights stayed on.

They then tested the wires and said there wasn't an issue with the wires, and so now they now have concluded it must be the ECU that's fine funny. They said they don't do ECU's and would send it off to get tested and fixed or replaced. I asked for estimates on best case and worse case which they are writing up for me so I can decide on what to do.

However, since then I bought a code reader to check the codes. Which tell me the codes a re these:

C1208 - ABS Inlet Valve Coil Rear Circuit Short To Battery

C1233 - Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal Missing

The error code says left but they've been replacing the right side!

Now I spoke to them because the code says it's the left sensor but they've be working on the right! They said that's what will happen when the ECU has gone funny!!

I'm really not sure what to do. Does that sound legit? The codes have really made me question what's going on. Surely they've not be working on the wrong side this whole time. The garage has come recommended by quite a few people I know in Enfield.

Any advice on what I did do. I don't want to spend £500 to get an ECU tested/replaced if it's ok and not going to fix the problem!!

Edited by ma9gm on 18/07/2019 at 00:16

Vauxhall Meriva - 2011 Vauxhall Meriva ABS/TC issue - elekie&a/c doctor
It’s not unusual for scanners to get left/ right wrong, but that is the job of mechanic to make sure he is dealing with the correct info and adequate testing procedure. However which one is right, yours or theirs. The inlet valve fault is likely to be an internal issue with the abs controller. Possibly repairable.
It’s not unusual for scanners to get left/ right wrong, but that is the job of mechanic to make sure he is dealing with the correct info and adequate testing procedure. However which one is right, yours or theirs. The inlet valve fault is likely to be an internal issue with the abs controller. Possibly repairable.

Hi, Thank you that's really helpful. I'd assume it was my reader that was potentially wrong because mine was a cheap £20 one from amazon!!

What would you recommend I did? The Garage has been good previously so I can understand it's just a genuine mistake!

It may not be a mistake . Both faults could be internal issues within the abs control unit.
It may not be a mistake . Both faults could be internal issues within the abs control unit.

Thank you. This helps me to know what I should do. Thank you

I've also noticed something strange about it. When it's hot and dry, the warning lights come on fairly immediately... when it's wet or colder then they don't come on!! That sounds a bit like a funny ECU?

Vauxhall Meriva - 2011 Vauxhall Meriva ABS/TC issue - bathtub tom

I've also noticed something strange about it. When it's hot and dry, the warning lights come on fairly immediately... when it's wet or colder then they don't come on!! That sounds a bit like a funny ECU?

That sounds to me it might be an earthing issue.

Oh really. That's very helpful. Also the light hasn't come on at all today. I'm confused by my silly car.

Hi,

How do I find out the part number of the ECU ABS Module? I've tried searching online and I can't seem to find it!!

Thank you

Vauxhall Meriva - 2011 Vauxhall Meriva ABS/TC issue - Falkirk Bairn

Before you go off & buy bits you need an auto electrician to find out the root of problem.

Parts can be reworked & a lot less money than buying a new ABS module.

If it is an ABS module rework is a few hundred pounds + labour. New is thousands.

Before you go off & buy bits you need an auto electrician to find out the root of problem.

Parts can be reworked & a lot less money than buying a new ABS module.

If it is an ABS module rework is a few hundred pounds + labour. New is thousands.

Hi, Yes they've quoted me about £1,500 to replace with new, and £500 to get repaired. I'm wondering what it would cost to get a second hand one. But I need the part number to make sure I'm comparing like for like. I was wondering how I find that number?

Part number will be on a label on the unit. Very likely to be an ATE or Bosch unit. The problem you will encounter with s/hand is the fact that the abs unit is coded to the car , so may not work and possibly cause a non start condition.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 04/08/2019 at 15:28

Vauxhall Meriva - 2011 Vauxhall Meriva ABS/TC issue - edlithgow

Plus one of the codes (not that I have much experience of, or faith in codes) seems to say it’s an earthing issue, only in code. IF that’s what “short to battery” means?.?

Edited by edlithgow on 30/10/2022 at 08:29

Vauxhall Meriva - 2011 Vauxhall Meriva ABS/TC issue - Sunny Vauxhall Mariva

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice on what to do.

I took my car to a garage (Vauxhall Meriva 2011 reg) because it had 5 lights on. 2 lights regarding ABS, 2 lights regarding TC, and the engine light. The garage said it was the front right abs sensor and they replaced it. They wipped the codes and all seemed ok. Howeve r, as I drove home the lights came back on. So I took it back.

They then said it must be the wheel bearing. So they charged that. But that didn't seem to fix the problem and the lights stayed on.

They then tested the wires and said there wasn't an issue with the wires, and so now they now have concluded it must be the ECU that's fine funny. They said they don't do ECU's and would send it off to get tested and fixed or replaced. I asked for estimates on best case and worse case which they are writing up for me so I can decide on what to do.

However, since then I bought a code reader to check the codes. Which tell me the codes a re these:

C1208 - ABS Inlet Valve Coil Rear Circuit Short To Battery

C1233 - Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal Missing

The error code says left but they've been replacing the right side!

Now I spoke to them because the code says it's the left sensor but they've be working on the right! They said that's what will happen when the ECU has gone funny!!

I'm really not sure what to do. Does that sound legit? The codes have really made me question what's going on. Surely they've not be working on the wrong side this whole time. The garage has come recommended by quite a few people I know in Enfield.

Any advice on what I did do. I don't want to spend £500 to get an ECU tested/replaced if it's ok and not going to fix the problem!!

Urgently need help, I am having the same problems and the Garage couldn't solve out the issue after the repairs, so how do you solve out the issues, please advice.

they have already changed the abs senor and wheel bearing on front right, and wheel bearing at rear right too