Used car with multiple MOTs in a year - XxxxJammyxxxX

Hi all

I'm in the process of buying a used car from a dealership, and when I checked the car out online it had 3 MOTs last year in February, April, and November 2018. Is this normal? The car is apparently ex Motability if that makes any difference. The dealership says that they do an MOT when they receive a car with less than 6 months MOT left. That still doesn't account for the one in April though. I'm not at all experienced with buying used cars so I don't know if the dealer's claims hold up. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Used car with multiple MOTs in a year - Andrew-T

It would be interesting to find out the reason for that. The obvious one might be following a repair. I once worked with a strangely paranoid character who had his car MoT'd every 6 months, just to be sure. There could be a perfectly harmless explanation, but best find out if you can. Sadly a dealer probably won't know, and may feign ignorance even if he does.

Used car with multiple MOTs in a year - SLO76
“it had 3 MOTs last year in February, April, and November 2018. Is this normal? The car is apparently ex Motability if that makes any difference.”

Alarm bell sounding.

How many owners has it had and how long has the last one owned it? It’s possible that the last keeper Mot’d it in February then it was traded in or returned to motability, a dealer then Mot’d it when It was sold in April then it was traded in again and sold again in November thus the three fresh Mot’s in a year.

If this is the case then it’s likely something is fundamentally wrong with the car if the last owner did offload it so quickly. You need to check the V5 and see if the last change of keeper corresponds to this. Remember also that the bulk of ex mobility cars we took back in were abused by keepers who never paid a penny for them and often allowed family to drive/abuse them. Few came back in good condition. Though they were always well serviced the interiors in particular took a lot of cleaning and many were riddled with cigarette burns. Of course not all are and I’m not saying anything about the genuine people who have access to this scheme, I’m merely pointing out that the bulk of cars returned are in poor condition for such young vehicles and almost none of them met the standards of approved used.

I’ve never known a dealer to Mot cars as they arrive in stock only to then redo the test when it’s sold. You don’t spend money on a car (other than making it presentable) until it’s sold.

What make and model are you looking at here?

Edited by SLO76 on 08/07/2019 at 14:42

It's a Ford Grand C-Max with 1 owner, 27000 miles, 2015 reg plate. The car is pretty good on the inside, a few small spots on one of the rear seats, but nothing that wouldn't come off with a bit of cleaning. Just as good on the outside, no more wear and tear than you'd expect on a car that's done that sort of mileage I Think. It drove well enough (to my limited experience) on a test drive.

So which of those first two MoT's corresponds to the car's third birthday? Does that suggest anything?

Just checked and the car was first registered in April, which is when it had its second MOT. So it had an MOT before its first one was actually due?

Just checked and the car was first registered in April, which is when it had its second MOT. So it had an MOT before its first one was actually due?

No idea why it would be tested three times in one year if it’s a one owner car. I can understand it being tested before being returned as it would need a valid ticket then tested again on being sold by the dealer so two would make sense but thee is a bit odd.
Used car with multiple MOTs in a year - elekie&a/c doctor
May be one owner, but how many drivers? Use could have been doubled up and used as a taxicab , these need an mot every 6 months.

Interesting. It only did 2000 miles last year, so if it was I don't imagine it was a very successful taxicab!

“t's a Ford Grand C-Max with 1 owner, 27000 miles, 2015 reg plate.”

Which engine is in it? If it’s a 1.0 Ecoboost then leave it be.
Used car with multiple MOTs in a year - Galaxy

If you haven't already done so then I'd certainly do an MOT History Check on the vehicle.

You can do this online, for free at:

www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

It might possibly give you a clue as to why this car has had so many MOT tests within such a short space of time.

The only other thing that I know is that, these days, most reputable car dealers will get a new test done when a used vehicle is sold. This is something which customers like and also, to a certain extent, gives the dealer some protection.

That's how I found out about the weird MOTs. It passed every time and had no advisory notices. Haven't got the V5C to hand so I can't find out the locations, which may have shed a bit more light on the matter.

Used car with multiple MOTs in a year - catsdad
Another possibility is that it received a write-off indicator and the additional MoT was to satisfy a subsequent insurance company that it was roadworthy after repair?

Some insurance companies require this before they will provide cover.

That's interesting. Would that show up on an HPI check?

Used car with multiple MOTs in a year - catsdad
Yes write off category would appear on an HPI check (and hence AutoTrader ads). I am not sure if it appears anywhere else such as government sites. Someone more knowledgeable might comment.

It's the 1.6tdci. Was tempted by a 1.6 ecoboost, but it was a worse deal than this one.

It's the 1.6tdci. Was tempted by a 1.6 ecoboost, but it was a worse deal than this one.

This engine doesn’t have a good reputation either. The only C-Max I’d buy would be the Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol.

So I looked at motability website which said that a car has to have an MoT at least 2 months before being handed back at the end of a 3 year term, which would explain why it had one in February.

The April one is a bit odd, but when I looked at other ex motability cars for sale from different dealers some of them had similar MoT histories. It makes me wonder if they are being tested again when Motability gets them back for their third birthdays.

The November one according to the dealer was them when they received the car, which if they are telling the truth, adds up. They are doing another Mot before we receive the car as well, as there is less than 6 months left on the current MoT.

Used car with multiple MOTs in a year - Wee Willie Winkie

Have I read correctly that the dealer received the car into stock in November 2018 and put it through an MOT straight away?

Makes me wonder:

1) Why do they spend out on an MOT without a buyer? Unless there was a buyer that fell through.

2) Why, in July 2019, are they still holding on to a car they've had for 9 months? What's wrong with it?

I'd be looking for another, tbh.

It is curious. I did wonder if a buyer fell through at some point. I'm not sure why they've had it for so long. It passed all these weird Mot tests, so at least there's that. And it seems to be in good condition, and drove well on the test drive.

1) Why do they spend out on an MOT without a buyer? Unless there was a buyer that fell through.

If the selling garage has their own testing station it may only mean an internal cost for them ? And they could be using it as a courtesy car, or it has had adverts on, which have been removed.

Edited by Andrew-T on 09/07/2019 at 00:20

“And they could be using it as a courtesy car, or it has had adverts on, which have been removed.”

Would’ve been registered to the garage then. If they’re going to put it on the road as a demo or courtesy car it has to be registered to the business. This car only has one owner.
Used car with multiple MOTs in a year - paul 1963

Personally I would leave it, as mentioned that particular engine hasn't got the best of reputations and the strange mot history would put me off as well, if it's been in stock for 9 months there must be a good reason.....

Used car with multiple MOTs in a year - RaineMan

Over a decade ago I brought an Omega. It had multiple MOTs due I was told to having previously been on a personal plate. I started investigating further and ultimately found it had been clicked whilst on a personal plate. My belief is the dealer was fully aware of this and selling the car for a friend. I then became aware of many unhappy customers but was happy to learn his business went bust. He still deals from his house!

My advice - walk away!

Edited by RaineMan on 09/07/2019 at 10:56

Used car with multiple MOTs in a year - John F

I think you might be more likely to get a carefully driven car if ex-motability, especially if automatic. Our ex-motability Focus estate was bought at 3yrs old and 29,000 miles and has served us well, now nearly 140,000. Only one more MoT before its 20th birthday!

I started investigating further and ultimately found it had been clicked whilst on a personal plate. ....

Gid Moaning .... :-))

Would’ve been registered to the garage then. If they’re going to put it on the road as a demo or courtesy car it has to be registered to the business. This car only has one owner.

That depends whether 'previous' owners are meant, or current one as well ?

Used car with multiple MOTs in a year - FoxyJukebox

I would be suspicious of this. Something may well be UP. Good job you haven't bought it yet.

Used car with multiple MOTs in a year - Galaxy

There's no need whatsoever to take a risk on something you aren't happy with.

There are plenty of other used cars out there to purchase.

Used car with multiple MOTs in a year - Gibbo_Wirral

A diesel that only did 2000 miles last year? Avoid.

Thanks all for the response. Given me a lot to think about!

Used car with multiple MOTs in a year - skidpan

if it's been in stock for 9 months there must be a good reason.....

My 2013 Leon 1.4 TSi went in PX against the Superb on 01.03.2017. It had only done 30,000 miles in its 3 years 9 months and had a full Seat service history, no advisories on the MOT, about 5mm on all 4 tyres, no dents or scratches, interior unmarked and provided the 4th service was carried out by a Seat dealer it would have the benefit of the remainder of the 5 year Seat warranty.

It left the VAG indies forecourt early December 2017, 9 months after I PX'd it.

Why.

The only thing could have been it was an SE spec car that the dealer was trying to sell for FR money. The Skoda dealer put it up for 2 weeks before trading it to the indy and when it arrived on the indies forecourt the price went up £500.

So in that case price was the issue and not issues with the car.