What to buy?? - Nuno Pina

Hello all.

My wife wants to buy a small car, automatic transmission, between 2005 and 2010, under £3k preferably. She is inclined for the smart car, but I've been reading so many bad reviews of it that I'm a bit scared that it's going to be a bad buy. What are your thoughts about this car?

I like the Fiat 500 and she also like the Toyota AyGo (not my favourite).

Is there any more alternatives? The criteria is being small, automatic transmission, cheap to drive.

Best regards

Nuno Pina

What to buy?? - Falkirk Bairn

Smart are not the best

Fiat 500 auto is not an auto gearbox - it is a manual gearbox with an auto clutch

Very small budget - best to stick to simpler car - small Japanese, petrol, manual.

If it must be an auto you will be very limited in choice.

What to buy?? - badbusdriver

If you want a car smaller than a Fiesta or Polo, but auto, most options will be an automated manual. These can be ok, but will require some adjustment in driving style to get round their foibles. Things like jerky gearchanges and delays in throttle response. Only 2 cars of that size and budget I can think of with a torque converter auto are the Hyundai i10 and Kia Picanto. That is what I'd be looking at.

What to buy?? - John Boy

Vauxhall Agila B (rebadged Suzuki Splash). Auto versions of both are torque convertor.

What to buy?? - gordonbennet

Same suggestion as i made in another thread, Toyota iQ, expensive when new and good quality in a very short but not especially narrow package, and the auto (at least on the 1.3, check what it is on the 1.0) is the excellent Toyota CVT box.

What to buy?? - SLO76
Don’t touch the Smart car or the 500. The Aygo isn’t the best small auto either so I’d leave it too. Where roughly do you live and I’ll take a look at what’s available nearby.
What to buy?? - Happy Blue!

Hyundai i10 or Kia Picanto. Both have decent gearboxes, are small cars with reasonable internal room and generally reliable.

Avoid any automatic gearbox that is in reality a manual gearbox with automated shifting (Smart, Aygo) or a Ford Powershift gearbox.

Look at Suzuki Spalsh or Alto, Daihatsu Sirion as well.

What to buy?? - Heidfirst

slightly left field choice perhaps but have you looked at a Toyota iQ? High quality but small.

I didn't suggest the iQ as i didn't think you'd get one for £3k, but now i'm home and have looked on Autotrader, yes you can. But, there are only two in budget (out of a total of 19 auto's). Both are private sales, both are 1.0, and both have reasonably low miles (68k and 73k). Next cheapest is a 104k example from a dealer. And yes, the 1.0 is also a CVT though looking on Wiki, it seems that the 1.0 has 5 'steps' whereas the 1.33 has 6. The 1.33 would be the better option, but way over your budget with the cheapest on Autotrader being £4850. Brilliant car though, a masterpiece of space utilisation packing at least one useable rear seat (the others useability depends on the size of the driver!) within a car only slightly longer than a Smart Fortwo.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190617911...1

But another oddball choice popped into my head, something perhaps even more weird looking than the iQ, that is the Mitsubishi i. This is really just a town car, with its 660cc turbo engine mated to a 4 speed torque converter auto. It is very narrow (being a Japanese Kei car), but can seat 4 adlults in reasonable comfort so long as they are not too broad(!). Very reliable, and, like the iQ, probably not going to lose much more money. But with you mentioning the Smart, the i does kind of look like what should have been the 1st gen Smart Forfour!. Drawbacks?, well apart from it not being ideally suited to motorways or dual carriageways, rarity. There are only 4 on Autotrader, with two being under £3k, one just over, and the other just over £3.5k.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190521817...1

Don’t touch the Smart car or the 500. The Aygo isn’t the best small auto either so I’d leave it too. Where roughly do you live and I’ll take a look at what’s available nearby.

Hi.

We live in Liverpool.

Thanks

What to buy?? - Avant

On another current thread a Suzuki Swift automatic has been recommended. I hadn't realised that you could get an automatic Swift, but worth considering if you can find one.

What to buy?? - wazza2004

Suzuki swift before 2012 (model change ) is a 1.5litre auto, after model change its 1.2litres . The earlier one is within budget .

Not really much jumping out locally on Autotrader i'm afraid, especially in terms of cars smaller than a Fiesta. The previously mentioned Toyota iQ and Mitsubishi i are all a good distance away. Closest Vauxhall Agila is in Cambridge, closest Suzuki Splash is in Workington. There are five Kia Picanto's within 50 miles (of a random L1 poscode). This one at a garage in Stockport looks to be in the nicest condition, but is maybe a bit overpriced despite the mileage,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190621927...1

There is only one Hyundai i10 within 50 miles. This one is also in Stockport, and is a private sale but looks to be in very fine fettle,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190522820...1

Also noticed this Suzuki Alto being sold privately. Just outwith the 50 miles (Huddersfield), but possibly worth a look on account of reliability and low running costs,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190527837...1

If your wife could manage something a bit bigger, there are a few Honda Jazz to be found in your area. Your budget would get you into a '01-'08 model, but that is probably for the best as the first of the next gen cars used an automated manual called the i-shift. Here is a 2008 car in Knutsford,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190523825...1

As far as i can see, any small Toyota within budget is going to have the multimode automated manual. Even the Mazda 2 at this price is going to be the Ford Fiesta/Fusion based model, and was only available as an auto with the 1.4 which, like the Ford's, were automated manual. The Fiesta and Fusion were also available as 1.6 versions, which use a torque converter auto, so with that in mind, here are a couple of those 1.6 Fords. First, a Fiesta in Newton-Le-Willows,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190426733...1

And the slightly bigger Fusion, this one is actually in Liverpool,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190610887...1

Also found a 2009 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 being sold privetely in Liverpool. This model, i'm pretty sure used a torque converter auto,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190529844...1

Last offering is a bit obscure, the Perodua Myvi. This was a licence built Daihatsu Sirion sold in the UK for a few years from 2006. Not sure when they dissappeared, but this example is from 2011. It uses a very reliable Daihatsu/Toyota 1.3 and a torque converter auto.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190605870...1

BTW, meant to say, the nearest Suzuki Swift in budget is in Birmingham.

Edited by badbusdriver on 28/06/2019 at 10:17

Not really much jumping out locally on Autotrader i'm afraid, especially in terms of cars smaller than a Fiesta. The previously mentioned Toyota iQ and Mitsubishi i are all a good distance away. Closest Vauxhall Agila is in Cambridge, closest Suzuki Splash is in Workington. There are five Kia Picanto's within 50 miles (of a random L1 poscode). This one at a garage in Stockport looks to be in the nicest condition, but is maybe a bit overpriced despite the mileage,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190621927...1

There is only one Hyundai i10 within 50 miles. This one is also in Stockport, and is a private sale but looks to be in very fine fettle,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190522820...1

Also noticed this Suzuki Alto being sold privately. Just outwith the 50 miles (Huddersfield), but possibly worth a look on account of reliability and low running costs,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190527837...1

If your wife could manage something a bit bigger, there are a few Honda Jazz to be found in your area. Your budget would get you into a '01-'08 model, but that is probably for the best as the first of the next gen cars used an automated manual called the i-shift. Here is a 2008 car in Knutsford,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190523825...1

As far as i can see, any small Toyota within budget is going to have the multimode automated manual. Even the Mazda 2 at this price is going to be the Ford Fiesta/Fusion based model, and was only available as an auto with the 1.4 which, like the Ford's, were automated manual. The Fiesta and Fusion were also available as 1.6 versions, which use a torque converter auto, so with that in mind, here are a couple of those 1.6 Fords. First, a Fiesta in Newton-Le-Willows,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190426733...1

And the slightly bigger Fusion, this one is actually in Liverpool,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190610887...1

Also found a 2009 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 being sold privetely in Liverpool. This model, i'm pretty sure used a torque converter auto,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190529844...1

Last offering is a bit obscure, the Perodua Myvi. This was a licence built Daihatsu Sirion sold in the UK for a few years from 2006. Not sure when they dissappeared, but this example is from 2011. It uses a very reliable Daihatsu/Toyota 1.3 and a torque converter auto.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190605870...1

BTW, meant to say, the nearest Suzuki Swift in budget is in Birmingham.

Thanks for all the trouble, but can you clarify what's the difference between the several automated gearboxes I've been seeing? I'm a rookie regarding automated, always drove manual shift, the only experience I had driving automatic was a rented Smart a few years ago on holidays.

Cheers

Thanks for all the trouble, but can you clarify what's the difference between the several automated gearboxes I've been seeing? I'm a rookie regarding automated, always drove manual shift, the only experience I had driving automatic was a rented Smart a few years ago on holidays.

Cheers

There are dual and single clutch automated manuals, but for the purposes of the small cars, and the budget you will be looking at, they will be single clutch only. What you have is essentially a manual gearbox, but where the gearchange and clutch is dealt with by electronics, to varying degrees of success. When you read owners reviews of cars so equipped, you will find complaints of jerky gearchanges, and you will also find complaints of a delay in between your pressing the throttle and anything happening. Both of these foibles can be driven around to an extent, through experience. The jerky gearchanges by lifting off the throttle slightly on the changes, the delayed throttle response, by learning how much of a delay there is and working that into your behaviour when crossing a busy roundabout or pulling out onto a main road. It is not the be all and end all, but some folk find they just can't adapt to this, so will forever be unhappy with the car. For those types of drivers, by far the best option would be to go for a torque converter auto, or a CVT.

But if you think your wife and/or yourself, would be able to adapt to learn your way round how to get the best out of one, it probably wouldn't be a bad choice. Plus points are that they are fairly reliable, and are generally more economical than a torque converter auto. But be aware that a car not known for being reliable (such as the Fiat 500) is still not going to be reliable with an automated manual.

The cars i have listed are all generally reliable, but care still needs to be taken looking for corrosion as some of these cars are going to be getting on for 15 years old. Also, make use of the ability to check the MOT history of a car online. This is not a definitive statemnet on how good a car will be, but it will give an indication of how well or otherwise a car has been looked after. When looking at the MOT history, look for advisories which keep on cropping up (as opposed to being fixed). Also, when viewing the car, look for mismatched tyres for example, as they should really be changed in pairs.

Our resident ex-motor trader, SLO, will often recommend buying privately at this sort of money. Meeting who owned the car, where they live etc, will also give a good indication of how well the car has been cared for.