2005 Toyota Rav4 D4d - Starting problems - 206Hdi

Hi

I have been having starting problems with my Rav4. I'll try and summarise what's happened and hopefully someone has some ideas on what it might be.

I noticed the car was a little sluggish starting and this got worse to the point where it started great when cold but couldn't start when hot (symptoms just like a dead battery - sluggish turning over and not firing). If I left the car to cool down it would start no problem.

I bought a new battery with more oomph and fitted a new 2.2KW starter instead of the 1.6KW starter.

At first the starting was better but within a couple of weeks it was cranking slightly longer when hot starting (cold was perfect).

Another month or two passed and then one day I went to restart from hot and when I turned the key nothing happened - no cranking at all. All the lights were fine etc. I waited 30mins with the bonnet up and the car started just fine.

It has been ok for a month or so since (starts but it sluggish when hot), but yesterday I went to start it from cold and I got the same issue where the engine wouldn't crank at all. I sometimes heard a slight clicking but not the clicking I know you get with a dead battery, I also noticed the rev counter jumped up a bit even though the engine didn't crank. I left the car for a day and tired it again and it fired straight up.

Thinking is may be linked to the solenoid (there's no starter relay on the car) I tried cleaning all the battery clamps/earth cables. Before I did this the car fired up, but since cleaning it's gone back to no starting. What I do notice is that the starter seems to click quietly sometimes and sometimes I can hear it spin (I sit turning the key to start and sometimes I hear the starter and sometimes I don't - but the engine never cranks). Also, I have noticed the revs on the the rev counter jump to 3000rpm but the engine isn't cranking.

So in summary at present it sometimes cranks the engine for a split second but doesn't start, but mainly I get either no noise, the spinning sound of the starter or a single click from the starter.

I'm inclined to believe it's power related but wanted some opinions, so if you have any questions or ideas please shout them out - I appreciate any help!

Edited by 206Hdi on 27/06/2019 at 00:45

2005 Toyota Rav4 D4d - Starting problems - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like you may have a high resistance in one of the main battery to engine power leads. I would try running another earth lead direct from the battery to the engine block .

Thank you for the suggestion. I should have said that I did try running a jump lead from the negative terminal to an engine block flange but that didn't seem to help. This was before changing the old motor so I will try again and get a new cable.

Is it just a case of finding a sensible bolt to loosen, clean the surface and attach the cable or is there a better way to do this?

Thank you

2005 Toyota Rav4 D4d - Starting problems - elekie&a/c doctor
Jump leads very often don’t give an adequate connection, especially when trying to start a Diesel engine . I would try and use an engine bolt/nut as near to the starter motor as possible when adding another earth lead . Also , have you felt the battery terminals when the fault exists.? I’ve seen issues where the problem is in the crimp of the battery lead.

Thank again, the crimps felt good and the wires in them didn't look obviously corroded when I cleaned them up but I will examine them more closely to see if there is anything suspicious.

I'm going to try a new earth lead and see if that helps.

I will also check the positive connection on the starter. As I recall from when I fitted the starter the connection was very clean but it's worth a recheck.

The car wouldn't start this morning so at least the fault is becoming more consistent and this means I can be more confident if a change I make fixes it.

Thanks again for the advice, it gave me the nudge I needed to stay focussed on it being an electrical issue. I've had a good look around the engine bay and found the earth cable between the engine and chassis and I've given this a proper clean and the car seems better - but it was a little intermittent so time will tell.

Hopefully this has done the trick, but next step will be to replace the cables with new ones.

Thanks Again!

2005 Toyota Rav4 D4d - Starting problems - yokel38

..its worth checking that water hasn't got int the junction box in the n/s/f kick panel.