Hyundai Santa Fe - Smoking Indicator Stalk - Durelli_tyres

Anyone come across smoke coming from a Indicator Stalk on a Santa Fe 2 (2006 - 2012)?

It has been reported in the US where vehicles are made in a US factory but wondered if it is isolated to US vehicles and a fault with a supplier there, or affects cars made in Korea also and is more of a design fault.

My car was recently in an accident and after 3 weeks in a body shop has this issue. Insurance are saying this is a known issue with the vehicle and is unrelated to the extensive work done on the vehicle in the body shop, including alot of electrical work.

cheers

D

Hyundai Santa Fe - Smoking Indicator Stalk - bathtub tom

I experienced it on a '70s Princess. Due to me using the stalk to just give a few flashes for changing lane on the motorway (it didn't have a modern type positive position). The slider on the contacts was arcing, melting the plastic housing.

70MPH on the M1 and smoke starts coming out the steering column housing. I did a very quick manoeuvre onto the hard shoulder, emergency stopped and bailed out up the embankment.

Hyundai Santa Fe - Smoking Indicator Stalk - Bilboman

It's quite a common problem with BMW indicator stalks. When they are finally operated for the first time, the accumulated dust can quickly overheat...

Hyundai Santa Fe - Smoking Indicator Stalk - gordonbennet

Had this problem on a Sierra years ago, the headlights were hopeless and brighter standard wattage bulbs were not yet available, so i along with many others put 100w main beam/80w dip beam headlight bulbs in, within a few months the extra heat of the current passing through the dipswitch melted the combined stalk switch.

I was able to cure this, obviously fitting a new switch, but fitting relays to the headlamps so the dipswitch only carried the relay signal current.

I wonder if the Hyundai headlight wiring is not relayed but like the Sierra all power going through the stalk switch.

Hyundai Santa Fe - Smoking Indicator Stalk - skidpan

All old BMC vehicles used to leak smoke from their electrical systems and when all the smoke had escaped the car would not operate.

Here is a link to a kit that allows owners to replace the smoke and get the car working again.

www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

PS its not a SPAM link.