All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - trebor1

Just read a interesting article from Which that works out how long it takes to start saving money if buying a NEW diesel car over a petrol one. I was amazed by their findings below , thought it might be of interest to some. The rest of the article is interesting to for those that wish to track it down.

How long do I need to own a diesel car for it to work out cheaper than petrol?

The VW Golf would take an incredible 16 years to become cheaper than the petrol version.
The diesel Ford Kuga becomes cheaper than the petrol after five years
The diesel Nissan Qashqai becomes cheaper than the petrol after six years
The diesel Mercedes C-Class becomes cheaper than the petrol after 12 years
The diesel Volkswagen Golf becomes cheaper than the petrol after 16 years
All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - Fernando P

But I would rather have 12 years much better driving experience with my diesel.....!

But I would rather have 12 years much better driving experience with my diesel.....!

What car you driving to quantify the better driving experience? I've driven both Diesel and petrol cars since the mid 80s and while I love the torque and economy of Diesel I believe the very latest petrol engines are capable of having very similar torque and economy traits when driven today
All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - gordonbennet

As said it takes one pretty serious petrol engine to give the mid range torque of the typical 2+ litre Diesel, and the long term jury is still out on the new small petrol turbos, some of which have already proved troublesome.

No hard and fast calculations here, one make of engine of either fuel might be still running well at 16 years old, whilst another may well have cost serious money to keep going, not as most people are going to keep a car from new purchase for 16 years, a very rare buyer indeed.

Edited by gordonbennet on 28/04/2019 at 16:26

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - SteveLee

Yeah, enjoy your "driving experience" don't worry about about the pedestrians that have to put up with the b***** din of lines of diesel cars - or the children with asthma from the particulates. 'Been saying for 20+ years since the ecoloons forced people to swap pretend pollution(CO2) for real pollution (diesel particulates) that diesel passenger cars should be banned. Not to mention the huge number of diesel spills killing motorcycles. Still, as long as you get your "driving experience" eh?

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - Leif

Yeah, enjoy your "driving experience" don't worry about about the pedestrians that have to put up with the b***** din of lines of diesel cars - or the children with asthma from the particulates. 'Been saying for 20+ years since the ecoloons forced people to swap pretend pollution(CO2) for real pollution (diesel particulates) that diesel passenger cars should be banned. Not to mention the huge number of diesel spills killing motorcycles. Still, as long as you get your "driving experience" eh?

Steady on old bean. Anyway, some diesels are clean, and the small turbo charged petrol engines could produce high levels of particulates and NOx before the GPF became mandatory. Diesel car din? That’s a new one for me. Do you mean the high pitched braying from owners of the more ‘prestigious’ marques ie Land Rover? (Tongue in cheek, I might add.)

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - alan1302

Except CO2 pollution is real - it's not a made up thing.

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - Engineer Andy

Spend a few minutes breathing in some CO2 and tell me how you get on...if you're still alive that is. Diesels aren't for low mileage urban driving from cold, but the opposite, plus lugging heavy loads. Most people used to realised this was the case before the politicians conned them in the late 90s about the eco-properties of diesels.

It seems we're going to have to teach them again. CO2 is important globally as regards climate change, but particulates are locally and have a greater impact on health in the context of car use. We shouldn't be dismissing either.

Hopefully some common sense will (eventually) prevail.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 29/04/2019 at 19:37

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - Theophilus

Spend a few minutes breathing in some CO2 and tell me how you get on ... if you're still alive that is.

CO2 is implicated in climate change ... but don't forget that one of the chief sources of CO2 in the atmosphere is you & me - like all animals we exhale CO2 with every breath that we take. The other side of the equation is that CO2 is taken up by plants in photosynthesis, without CO2 there would be no life on earth.

Edited by Theophilus on 30/04/2019 at 15:02

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - alan1302

Spend a few minutes breathing in some CO2 and tell me how you get on ... if you're still alive that is.

CO2 is implicated in climate change ... but don't forget that one of the chief sources of CO2 in the atmosphere is you & me - like all animals we exhale CO2 with every breath that we take. The other side of the equation is that CO2 is taken up by plants in photosynthesis, without CO2 there would be no life on earth.

What's your point though? We already know animals breathe it out and plants use it.

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - Bromptonaut

Yeah, enjoy your "driving experience" don't worry about about the pedestrians that have to put up with the b***** din of lines of diesel cars - or the children with asthma from the particulates. 'Been saying for 20+ years since the ecoloons forced people to swap pretend pollution(CO2) for real pollution

CO2 is NOT 'pretend' pollution. Its effect is global. Yes, plants covert it back to oxygen but chucking out ever more CO2 while felling forests allows it to increase as a proportion of the atmosphere. Unless we can massively increase planet's capacity to absorb CO2 we need to reduce global production of the gas.

NoX and particulates by contrast are local. Particulates settle over time and NoX is broken down by air movement and sunlight. In urban areas both overwhelm the natural breakdown/dispersal process, hence need for (ultra) low emission zones.

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - SLO76
Just had a quick scan through this report and as usual it is deeply flawed. They don’t factor in depreciation at all, it’s simply the added cost of the diesel cars list price v fuel saving. Some cars depreciate much more slowly with a Diesel engine even today and especially on larger models particularly SUV’s which would skew the figure back down. The Ford Kuga for example is in much lower demand used in thirsty petrol form than the diesel despite it being a good engine.
Just had a quick scan through this report and as usual it is deeply flawed. They don’t factor in depreciation at all, it’s simply the added cost of the diesel cars list price v fuel saving. Some cars depreciate much more slowly with a Diesel engine even today and especially on larger models particularly SUV’s which would skew the figure back down. The Ford Kuga for example is in much lower demand used in thirsty petrol form than the diesel despite it being a good engine.

Quite right, and I bet it doesn't factor in the differences in insurance (not sure about VED), usage patterns, reliability and the cost of parts and servicing, issues to do with DPF cleaning, etc, etc.

I have had the same problems with the Warranty Direct ratings for car relaibility for similar reasons for years - they too, IMHO, are too simple in how they put together their ratings with a distinct lack of comprehensive, reliable data that gives an overall picture. Too many variables, in my view are often missed, often because their don't provide a black and white report that make good headlines to gain clicks/attract business. Sadly reflected across much of the journalism world these days.

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - CHarkin

Must say I take these figures with a pinch of salt till I know how they are calculated. I had a look at a car I was interested in a while ago, a Golf estate. The 1.6 diesel is only £160 more than the 1.5 TSi 130. Even a my low mileage that would be recovered within the first year no problem. The 2.0L TDi version is £780 more than the 1.5TSi 150 but that includes a swap to the much better wet plate DSG. These fuel efficient petrols don't come cheap.

On bigger heavier cars diesel wins hands down in my book even if its no cheaper to run.

The mileage is irrelevant them? I never did trust Which.
We have 2 diesel and two petrol cars and a diesel van in our family,I sit on the fence now liking both for their strengths and weaknesses. I wonder if its the case that whatever car we happen to drive we prefer and promote in regards to the which report findings?
All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - dan86

We've got both in daily use in our household both 1.6 a NA petrol and turbo diesel. The diesel produces 10 more hp and a whole load of more torque. It's great for long journeys and even popping to the shops. The petrol is much more fun to drive though far more rev happy and much more engaging. Yet round down both both do similar mpg around 40 mpg but on the motorway the diesel will do 50 mpg without even trying and that fully loaded with 5 people and luggage. The petrol will struggle to get more than 45 on a long run especially when loaded.

It's all about horses for courses

We have 2 diesel and two petrol cars and a diesel van in our family,I sit on the fence now liking both for their strengths and weaknesses. I wonder if its the case that whatever car we happen to drive we prefer and promote in regards to the which report findings?

Very probably. What I do notice about some diesels is the stench. Some people stop at a shop with the engine running, and I am almost throwing up when I walk by due to the fumes. I have no idea if this is older diesels, or particular makes, though Range Rovers seem very bad. I often notice it when driving, and a Range Rover is ahead of me. Even when my heater is on recirculate some air is taken in.

Very probably. What I do notice about some diesels is the stench. Some people stop at a shop with the engine running, and I am almost throwing up when I walk by due to the fumes. I have no idea if this is older diesels, or particular makes, though Range Rovers seem very bad. I often notice it when driving, and a Range Rover is ahead of me. Even when my heater is on recirculate some air is taken in.

I agree particularly in heavy town / city stop start driving , older diesel cars and vans are problematic to follow behind. I wonder if the driver is aware or just doesn’t care?

I agree particularly in heavy town / city stop start driving , older diesel cars and vans are problematic to follow behind. I wonder if the driver is aware or just doesn’t care?

Interesting question, and your reply suggests it’s the older ones. The owners must have blocked noses. Apparently many pre GPF petrol cars produce a lot of toxic fumes.

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - Bolt

A lot of older diesels smoke a lot but the driver doesn't see it, but the poor driver behind gets the worst of it and of course any pedestrians on the path -yet if you was to tell the driver their car or van smokes, well, because they don't see it its not there's that smokes its someone else's

I had a Civic 2.2 and although it didn't smoke except on hard acceleration it still smelled a lot which they all do, the new one smells but nowhere near as bad, I find BMW Audi and a lot more VW s smoke a fair bit more than they should...some fords are just as bad

Older non euro 5 diesels do stink especially when they have been poorly maintained but modern diesels with a dpf (correctly fitted) don't chuck out hardly if any smoke and don't seem to smell. Our euro 5 diesel had its MOT the other week and the emissions print put showed hardly any thing being emitted out of the exhaust pipe.

Our older euro 4 diesel (well maintained) used to chuck out what I would say was fair amount of smoke on initial hard acceleration.

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - Big John

Back in 2015 I bought one of the small petrol engined tsi turbo in a 14 month old Superb - mainly because it was so much cheaper to the equivalent diesel at the time, many £1000s infact. I calculated with my mileage it would take over 15 years+ of additional fuel cost to spend more than the saved capital (that is still sat in my bank!). That was presuming 42mpg with the 1.4petrol and 52mpg with the 2.0diesel version. After the purchase this calculation has probably improved further as my real life economy seems to be about 46mpg and there is now a bigger price difference between petrol and diesel.

There have been discussions that small engined turbo petrol cars would be overstressed - doesn't feel like it thus far as mine feels very relaxed on the open road running at about 2000rpm at 60mph. I've now done about 73,000 miles and it hasn't turned to putty as yet and doesn;t really burn any oil.

However fast forward to today would I buy a diesel or a petrol doing my same mileage (15,000.year) - to be honest I'm not sure.

• Nearly new diesel cars seem to be much better value these days thanks to deselgate. Ignoring list prices there seem to be bigger new discounts on diesel cars - well the ones I've been looking at.
  • New PPF/OPF/GPF technology being introduced - myself I'd wait for this to bed in!
  • DPFs seem to be much better these days - some early implementations were awful.
  • HOWEVER even though there is a slight lack in low down tourque (still pretty good on mine though) I'd miss the "zap" of petrol as the revs rise and my petrol is very quiet indeed on my commute

Edited by Big John on 28/04/2019 at 22:12

Back in 2015 I bought one of the small petrol engined tsi turbo in a 14 month old Superb - mainly because it was so much cheaper to the equivalent diesel at the time, many £1000s infact. I calculated with my mileage it would take over 15 years+ of additional fuel cost to spend more than the saved capital (that is still sat in my bank!). That was presuming 42mpg with the 1.4petrol and 52mpg with the 2.0diesel version. After the purchase this calculation has probably improved further as my real life economy seems to be about 46mpg and there is now a bigger price difference between petrol and diesel.

There have been discussions that small engined turbo petrol cars would be overstressed - doesn't feel like it thus far as mine feels very relaxed on the open road running at about 2000rpm at 60mph. I've now done about 73,000 miles and it hasn't turned to putty as yet and doesn;t really burn any oil.

However fast forward to today would I buy a diesel or a petrol doing my same mileage (15,000.year) - to be honest I'm not sure.

• Nearly new diesel cars seem to be much better value these days thanks to deselgate. Ignoring list prices there seem to be bigger new discounts on diesel cars - well the ones I've been looking at.
  • New PPF/OPF/GPF technology being introduced - myself I'd wait for this to bed in!
  • DPFs seem to be much better these days - some early implementations were awful.
  • HOWEVER even though there is a slight lack in low down tourque (still pretty good on mine though) I'd miss the "zap" of petrol as the revs rise and my petrol is very quiet indeed on my commute

I agree petrol cars are now whisper quite at tick over , in contrast diesels can be heard and some felt through the vibrations of the steering wheel or dash. Very interesting ref your savings made thanks for sharing
All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - Ethan Edwards

Diesel stench...if you run it with recycled cooking oil the only stench you get is that of chips. Mmmm chips.....

Diesel stench...if you run it with recycled cooking oil the only stench you get is that of chips. Mmmm chips.....

I like your thinking but may I suggest the oil from frying doughnuts? Mmmm, doughnuts. However, you might get pulled over by the police more often than usual. :)

D'Oh!

OK tried my same cost spreadsheet with more up to date fuel prices and. updated with my real life MPG. 15,000 miles a year with £1.30 for diesel @ 52mpg and £1.20 for petrol @ 46mpg gives a petrol fuel saving of only £74 year! - would now take 50 years in saved fuel costs to recoup the original extra £3800 I would have spent at the time of purchase.

Fuel.....Price.....Miles price mpg gals litres £year £diff years

diesel £14,500 15000 £1.30 52 288 1313 £1,706 £0

petrol £10,800 15000 £1.20 46 326 1484 £1,780 £74 50

Edited by Big John on 29/04/2019 at 17:43

OK tried my same cost spreadsheet with more up to date fuel prices and. updated with my real life MPG. 15,000 miles a year with £1.30 for diesel @ 52mpg and £1.20 for petrol @ 46mpg gives a petrol fuel saving of only £74 year! - would now take 50 years in saved fuel costs to recoup the original extra £3800 I would have spent at the time of purchase.

Fuel.....Price.....Miles price mpg gals litres £year £diff years

diesel £14,500 15000 £1.30 52 288 1313 £1,706 £0

petrol £10,800 15000 £1.20 46 326 1484 £1,780 £74 50

Thanks Big John for taking the trouble to work that out, very interesting to see
All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - veloceman
Interesting figures.
Only thing I would add is that many diesels are cheaper to buy than petrol equivalents due to diesel Gate.
Also larger cars the mpg gap is larger.
I had a Seat Leon 1.4 Tsi which regularly got over 50 mpg. So little point in getting a diesel in that type of car.
But you look at large 4x4s and you quickly in to the early 20s with petrol and you don’t get the torque you get in a diesel.
Interesting figures. Only thing I would add is that many diesels are cheaper to buy than petrol equivalents due to diesel Gate. Also larger cars the mpg gap is larger. I had a Seat Leon 1.4 Tsi which regularly got over 50 mpg. So little point in getting a diesel in that type of car. But you look at large 4x4s and you quickly in to the early 20s with petrol and you don’t get the torque you get in a diesel.

This thread prompted me to re-do the calculations I did back in 2015 and the thing that surprised me was the effect the difference in the price of fuel had on the figures. Back in 2015 the price of petrol and diesel was nearly the same. Long term it seems possibly less relevant but I suppose I still have the £3800 still in the bank gathering interest - well not a lot!

I agree that things are now different post dieselgate and there are great deals on diesel cars new and old - it is almost a full reversal compared to when I bought my car, no one wanted a large petrol car then! The Which article is looking at list prices - well I for one won't be paying anywhere near that when I buy my next car, well I do live in Yorkshire!!! If you look at some broker sites prices can be different eg Carfile Skoda Octavia SE the 1.6 diesel ends up nearly the same price as the 1.0 petrol with an 18.5%(approx) discount on the diesel and an 11.5%(approx) on the petrol

Edited by Big John on 29/04/2019 at 21:19

The above is true, but list prices is the only sensible way to do comparisons ( both petrol and diesel cars can be discounted)

What would be interesting is to factor in the relatively new expense of add blue ( £15 every fourth tank) and dpf / dual mass flywheel clutch replacement cost and the new london emission charges

Dont get me wrong I love Diesels and have owned many of them alongside petrol cars since the citroen zx and xm days in the 1980/90s . Its just anything post 2017 seems to leave me questioning its actual long term viability over petrol.
The above is true, but list prices is the only sensible way to do comparisons ( both petrol and diesel cars can be discounted) What would be interesting is to factor in the relatively new expense of add blue ( £15 every fourth tank) and dpf / dual mass flywheel clutch replacement cost and the new london emission charges Dont get me wrong I love Diesels and have owned many of them alongside petrol cars since the citroen zx and xm days in the 1980/90s . Its just anything post 2017 seems to leave me questioning its actual long term viability over petrol.

As I buy cars outright I usually look at the price I'd pay

It's true some petrol cars don't have Dual Mass Flywheel (mine doesn't) but most of the more powerful ones do have them.

As of last year almost all direct injection cars will now be fitted with a particulate filter (PPF,OPF,GPF) so it's another thing to consider.

Myself - I'll probably (we shall see) buy another petrol next as I love the feel of a turbo petrol. They still have pretty good low rev pick up but then really fly as the revs rise. My older generation tsi pulls well from 1500rpm all the way through to 6000rpm. If you take it steady on a long run(er I rarely do!) you can get over 50mpg - not bad for a big barge. I managed 53mpg touring Germany and Austria.

I find modern diesels very tourquey indeed but the useable power is in a narrow rev band. I've also found some of them not as economical as you would have thought. I was rather unimpressed with a hire Mondeo diesel where I only just managed 40mpg.

Edited by Big John on 29/04/2019 at 21:46

Good points.

This link by auto express looks at petrol versus diesel , i think they conclude broadly what everyone has said here.

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-n...p

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - Ethan Edwards

How did you factor in the ancillary costs? Extra cost due to increased diesel specific congestion charges/ ulez . Certain Councils are talking about banning diesels from some towns. If that comes to pass you'll have to factor in park and ride fees etc. Like a ratchet these costs are going to increase and wont ever be reduced. Councils need money to pay for their vital work...Hopscotch Collectives etc.

Diesel is going to be killed off in this country by the Salami slice tactic. That way by the time you realise what's happening it'll be too late to protest. I guess you'd call these the political risks.

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - Eyan1
Lots of interesting points have been made. The biggest factor though is what you pay for the car. Big John mentioned the discount you are getting on diesel cars as they are being deserted by the public. I was given a sizeable discount of mine so it only cost about 500 more than the equivalent petrol (with a discount too) . In my case a diesel has worked out cheaper. I had the petrol version before and it was costing me 20-30 a month more on fuel. (Let’s say 25 average) plus the road tax is 110 cheaper (assuming that continues) . So in a year it was 410 pounds cheaper and by year 2 it has easily paid for itself.
Lots of interesting points have been made. The biggest factor though is what you pay for the car. Big John mentioned the discount you are getting on diesel cars as they are being deserted by the public. I was given a sizeable discount of mine so it only cost about 500 more than the equivalent petrol (with a discount too) . In my case a diesel has worked out cheaper. I had the petrol version before and it was costing me 20-30 a month more on fuel. (Let’s say 25 average) plus the road tax is 110 cheaper (assuming that continues) . So in a year it was 410 pounds cheaper and by year 2 it has easily paid for itself.

The VED is no longer cheaper for diesels, and only was by a decent margin 8-10 years ago when a greater amount of new petrol cars were port injected and not GDI engines. The difference in CO2 figures for most is far less than it used to be, so many are only (before March 2017 new car VED changes) £10 or so more expensive, since March 2017 all non EV cars are the same at around £140pa.

As I said before, there are many factors that you have to take into account, not just falling new prices - as this will translate into falling used prices as well. If a diesel engined car is used predominantly for short journeys from cold, then most DPF-equipped models will inevitably suffer repeated problems as a result, which can get expensive to fix. Some fair better than others, e.g. the Honda 1.6TD, but as a result, it's likely their prices will remain firmer than those with more issues.

If you use a diesel-engined car for longer distance driving, then a new one will likely be a decent buy if it's well maintained and you only keep it for 3-5 years, negating any issues later in the car's life with the more complex emissions reductions systems. Whilst many newer petrol engined cars now come with PPFs, their design is more robust and also doesn't rely on adblue (which also needs heaters which seem to have reliability issues themsevles) and, due to its higher operating temperature, relies far less on active regens.

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - Bromptonaut

Bought our first diesel, a non turbo 19TGD, in 1993 and have run diesels ever since.

The BX replaced a 1.6 petrol lacked mid range punch and had poor fuel consumption and an automatic choke guaranteed to stall at least once on way to work from October to March. The diesel had fewer horsepower but felt much more lively, largely down to torque, it also did 40+mpg, started first time and was nigh on impossible to stall.

Was a convert from that day on, it was first of six diesels including both current cars a Berlingo and a Skoda Roomster.

I just love the torque, the ability to creep along in first at walking pace and the 50+ mpg. Probably could have got a petrol cheaper but whether it would have been an overall saving is a different question.

Going to be a harder choice next time though with increasingly tight controls on diesels. Not sure what else has the grunt to pull a caravan.

It depends on how often you are towing and what your general mileage is in comparison. What I'm surprised at is that no-one seems to consider hiring a diesel car capable of towing if they only need it for 2-3 weeks in total in the year, especially if they don't do much mileage or do mostly urban driving, running a smaller petrol-engined car otherwise.

As regards creeping along at low speed, from what I've seen and driven, the ability of petrol cars varies a LOT - my older Mazda3 petrol is terrible at that and wants to take off in 1st, and probably why the original clutch suddenly went in 6 months of changing jobs to a route where there was a decent amount of jig-jog traffic driving, whereas my old 1.0 Micra (manual), like a TC auto car, could easily creep along at walking pace in 1st and at about 7-10mph in 2nd with no right foot input and without stalling (obviously not on a reasonable hill), as long as it was warmed up. One of the main benfits of running a TC auto - which I swa when I test drove the new version of my car and the CX-3.

TBH I always could've gotten away witha Fiesta sized car for all the year except going on holiday, but I was lucky enough to buy my Mazda just when prices were very low and sourced a 25-30% discount on a new one, which was far cheaper than the smaller Honda Civic 3dr and Jazz which I was looking at. Often getting a supermini everyday car in petrol form is almost as economic to run mpg wise as a mid-sized diesel, especially if its used for shorter urban journeys.

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - RT

It depends on how often you are towing and what your general mileage is in comparison. What I'm surprised at is that no-one seems to consider hiring a diesel car capable of towing if they only need it for 2-3 weeks in total in the year, especially if they don't do much mileage or do mostly urban driving, running a smaller petrol-engined car otherwise.

Most caravanners use their caravan multiple times per year - some go most weekends, others will go for multiple longer holidays, so 15-20 weeks per year isn't unusual.

I'd love to justify a smaller, cleaner second car but the numbers just don't stack up compared to the marginal extra cost of using a diesel guzzler.

I have owned diesel cars over the last 20 years and never had an problem within any of them and thats in spite of much advice that diesel was not for me as I don't do many miles. There is a lot of misinformation about, even from My current car is 4 1/2 years old and 30K miles and the DPF is in A1 condition.

Its with a bit of sadness I'm now looking for a petrol car and also a bit of worry about the particulate filters with increasing reports of problems with Fords after very low mileage. To be honest I can't get my head around how the filter can regenerate in a petrol car. Its not just heat thats needed but Oxygen to burn the soot to CO2, where does it come from? You can't have excess air in a petrol car or it will detonate while there is plenty of excess air in a diesel to do the job. Will it soon be "How long to own a petrol to be safe"

Edited by CHarkin on 30/04/2019 at 18:36

I have owned diesel cars over the last 20 years and never had an problem within any of them and thats in spite of much advice that diesel was not for me as I don't do many miles. There is a lot of misinformation about, even from My current car is 4 1/2 years old and 30K miles and the DPF is in A1 condition.

It's not the total annual mileage that's the problem, but what that consists of: I currently only do 3-5k miles pa, but because that's made up of longer journeys, just less often (no 5 minute or less trips to the shops and back). If I ran a diesel on that usage pattern, I suspect I wouldn't have any issues.

Yours may be like that as well, or the car may be less susceptiable to problems than other diesels on the market, past and present. Your driving style may also lend itself to helping as well. I'm sure the Interweb has many FAQs about PPFs and how they work in general terms - Google is your friend.

Yours may be like that as well, or the car may be less susceptiable to problems than other diesels on the market, past and present. Your driving style may also lend itself to helping as well. I'm sure the Interweb has many FAQs about PPFs and how they work in general terms - Google is your friend.

I have monitored my DPF activities for over two years and can say with confidence that short journeys don't bother it at all with one proviso that when the filter is full it gets a 10 to 15 minute drive to clear it. It seems to make little difference what type of driving you do to the rate the soot builds. Cold running closes the ego valve and feeds undiluted fresh air to the engine so there is better cleaner combustion. I can tell from miles on the trip meter how much soot is in the filter its so consistent.

There is little info on the web about how PPFs regenerate, but did find that motorway driving builds soot not reduce it. It seems to be on the overrun when air can be bled through that regeneration takes place. I can see trouble ahead for some.

How do you know when your DPF is full? I don't recall any non-commercial vehicles having a facility like that. It's a different story if the DPF actively regens every X miles, which means sometimes it's not needed (as they don't fill up uniformly as its dependent on usage type, not miles done) and thus wastes fuel - the problem comes if that limit is reached at the end of an important journey where you can't drive around for another 15 minutes.

To this day, I have no idea why all DPF-equipped vehicles don't come with DPF gauges and a warning, say, within X miles/time of an active regen being required and a countdown to when it will be finished, plus (in the manual) what to do to best facilitate this exercise. Am I right in saying that some (at least) HGVs have such facilities?

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - gordonbennet

How do you know when your DPF is full? I don't recall any non-commercial vehicles having a facility like that. It's a different story if the DPF actively regens every X miles, which means sometimes it's not needed (as they don't fill up uniformly as its dependent on usage type, not miles done) and thus wastes fuel - the problem comes if that limit is reached at the end of an important journey where you can't drive around for another 15 minutes.

To this day, I have no idea why all DPF-equipped vehicles don't come with DPF gauges and a warning, say, within X miles/time of an active regen being required and a countdown to when it will be finished, plus (in the manual) what to do to best facilitate this exercise. Am I right in saying that some (at least) HGVs have such facilities?

On my lorry, new in January, there is no gauge as such , but i can call up the DPF on the menu and it will state whether the DPF needs regen or not.

2 switches on the dash, one to cancel a regen if it should initiate at a bad moment, eg when just about to enter a customer's premises, the other switch enables a static regen, not something that should ever apply to my type of work but if a vehicle was on short hop mutli drop work several regens might be cancelled, and a dash warning will eventually tell the driver a static regen is needed...then its a case of finding a suitable safe parking spot coming to a halt and pressing that second switch, the engine revs will then raise and the stationary regen should take around 40 mins according to the book.

Cancel a regen, the vehicle would simply restart the process asap, note i cannot manually start a regen whilst driving, only when stationary and only if requested on the dash.

Interestingly, my lorry performed its first regen in my hands (though remotely possible it did one with someone else, i cover the vast majority of miles with it and would have heard about the event, assuming the driver noticed?) at approx 40,000kms, it put a light up on the dash warning of high exhaust temp, and about 35 mins later the light went out and that was it completed, we run full weight so the engine is working hard when loaded, though i seldom allow it to rev any higher than 1500rpm (red line at 2400)

Interesting as it's such a rare happening, i noticed an increase in torque afterwards and the fuel figures took a noticeable but minor spike for the better, but then the engine is starting to bed in a little so that must be taken into account.

As you can see from how my vehicle works, its hardly rocket science enough to baffle anyone with a dash of sense, so the car makers must have extremely dim views of their customers not to have similar systems available for their Diesel buyers.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/05/2019 at 18:26

On the Mercedes lorry I used to drive it would put a green warning light for a regen orange it it needed to complete the regen without interruption and red meant visit work shop. In the DAF I'm currently driving it has a digital display in a sub menue for dpf load state. It only let's you know it doing a regen if you're stationary otherwise it doesn't put up any warning lights, if a static regen is required it will display a message on the dash.

As you can see from how my vehicle works, its hardly rocket science enough to baffle anyone with a dash of sense, so the car makers must have extremely dim views of their customers not to have similar systems available for their Diesel buyers.

That's my thoughts exactly. It could be a very simple system of a couple of indicator lights. All the data is being gathered anyway and the damage to the cars and to the manufacturers reputation by all the problems caused it seems a no brainer to me.

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - RT

My VW has DPF % full parameter which is accessible by VCDS diagnostics - but not visible as standard

All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - Death51
Andy you need to get with the times, you can get an OBD reader and an App for your phone and see ALL parameters inc DPF/Soot mass/ Ash levels all temperatures at manifold and pre DPF etc.

In fact I use the app to regen my DPF when I want so I do not ‘need’ to drive around for 15 mins after a journey. Also Adblue is not a cost that all diesel owners need to factor my euro6 BMW doesn’t require it at all.

I find the holier than thou brigade pretty hypocritical tbh, most peaople with a log burner/chimnea in garden etc put more soot into the air in one burning than a euro6 diesel car in a year.
All - Which report - how long to own a diesel to save - corax
In fact I use the app to regen my DPF when I want so I do not ‘need’ to drive around for 15 mins after a journey.

Interesting, I didn't realise you could do that.

Andy you need to get with the times, you can get an OBD reader and an App for your phone and see ALL parameters inc DPF/Soot mass/ Ash levels all temperatures at manifold and pre DPF etc. In fact I use the app to regen my DPF when I want so I do not ‘need’ to drive around for 15 mins after a journey.

In that case, why bother at all with an instrument panel, when your smartphone paired with a suitable OBD reader will do. We shouldn't have to go down this route - it's a function of the car that SHOULD be shown to the driver AS STANDARD on all models - it's not as though these cars cost 5p.

And whilst I'm ok with using apps generally, many people (e.g. my parents) don't want to (and can't) use a smart phone, so what do they do if they had a diesel engined car with a DPF?

PS. I hope you don't touch that phone to switch between DPF readings etc and the satnav when driving - that's illegal. I presume when you do, you pull over and switch off the engine first...

Monitoring DPF activity is easy on VAG cars, you need an OBD bluetooth device and a little app called "VAG DPF". The OBD plug in is around £25 for a top of the range unit that can be left in permanently without draining the battery and the app costs about £3.50. It uses the CAN BUS system rather than the OBD system. It needs to be an Android phone or tablet to run the app not an Apple device so I just use an old Samsung with a small crack in the screen and no sim card. In my opinion this is a must for every TDi owner. Other makes of cars can do the same thing but use a different app and I understand they are not so straight forward to use.

In normal mixed driving my car will do a regen every 180 to 190 miles on longer trips say 100 miles+ it will only do a regen every 240 miles. The difference is not that less soot is being produced its just the algorithm lets the soot build to a higher level, 18 grams and 24 grams. Its at 40 grams a forced regen is required.

On short trips the ECU uses a strategy of post injections to reduce soot build up, this injects intermittently very small amounts of fuel ( 1.7mg per stroke) to keep the DPF hot, it also limits the amount of exhaust gas fed back to the engine.

Please please understand that this is how my car works, a late 2014 reg but 2015 model year. Every year sees changes and what I have described will not be true for older cars. As far as I know Euro 6 cars use a very similar strategy but with a few refinements.