Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - trebor1
Hi simple comparison - advice greatly received

Im in the market for a new Dacia Duster 2019

Decided on 2wd either Comfort or prestige model - my only concerns are

1) with the prestige is the lower profile tyres and 17 inch wheels ( will they give a harder ride?)

2) on the prestige it has the keyless entry is this more prone to theft?

3) diesel is a add blue is this a pain?

4) is the 1.3 petrol turbo a better bet or is the Diesel more drivable / torquey etc

Any thoughts? Any one experienced the cars ref the above?

Info - i travel two 18 mile trips per day 5 days a week and two 40 mile round trips at weekend. Always had diesels with no issues but aware of many nightmare story's on this formula with dpf etc. Current car Dacia Duster 2016 Diesel 51.000 miles so aware of what im buying and happy with choice its just the above to consider please. Thank you

Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - SLO76
I’d stick with the diesel here. It’s a well proven motor with few vices. Change the timing belt on or before schedule and it’ll run to big mileages. It’s been tested to destruction in Dacia taxis and vans across Europe and is one of Renault’s better efforts. It’s reasonably smooth and very economical too. The 1.3 TCe is too new to judge but there’s loads of cases of engine trouble with the older 1.2 TCe it replaces in Renault’s and Nissan’s. Stick with what you know and as for add blue well it makes regen more efficient and reduces the likelihood of DPF problems as long as you remember to refill it.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/04/2019 at 23:11

Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - trebor1
Thanks for the quick reply thats very informative

Any thoughts between comfort or prestige model, ie wheel size for ride comfort and keyless entry for security. Thanks again
Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - daveyK_UK

In all fairness to Renault, the engines they produce are generally good and the 1.5 diesel in the Dacia's is widely used (Dacia, Nissan, Renault and Mercedes) , has been improved and updated numerous times over the last decade.

Not sure I could say the same about the Renault 0.9 petrol turbo engine, especially when used in the smart cars.

If I had to have a modern diesel, the 1.5 Renault diesel would be top of the list, I have witnessed van drivers take them up to astronomical miles.

I was under the impression the 1.5 diesel didn't have a DPF in the none Mercedes versions of this engine (Mercedes originally added the ad blue tweek to the engine set up for their vehicles only) but this was the case for the previous shape Duster so I assume they now use the Mercedes version in all variants of this engine across all brands?

Are you sure its a 1.3 petrol engine and not a 1.2 petrol engine in the new Duster? If its the 1.2 is it the same one that's been problematic in various Renault's and Nissan's?

Thanks for your input . Brochure states TCE 130bhp 1333 cc turbo engine type MFM TL4

Obviously the Diesel is about £1000 more but thats ok as all outstanding value for money.

The 1.6 petrol is very cheap but on the road test it was almost embarrassing when i tried to overtake on a dual caraway. Dealer let me then drive the 1.3 turbo and that was far better but i did miss the diesel torque ive had for years. I guess i was just worried by all the warnings from HJ ref diesels and low milage such as mine relatively is. Thanks for your views
Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - daveyK_UK

avoid the bigger bling wheels and avoid keyless entry.

can you simply not add extras you want in addition to the comfort model?

dont forget to order a spare wheel!

Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - gordonbennet

Yes, always get a spare wheel from somewhere, i saw a chap yesterday being recovered from an un-smart motorway emergency refuge, he had a flat front tyre which no doubt proved beyond the goo and toy pump to fix, that's handy on a Sunday afternoon, and no doubt it's interfered with his plans for today as well.

I too would avoid low profile tyres, not just for ride quality but higher profile tyres have lots of other things going for them besides, i would also avoid keyless go, we've had ignition keys for ever almost, something else that wasn't broken and didn't need fixing.

That Diesel motor seems to be one of the best around, no problems with Adblu, just top it up when required, though i would let it run down so you are replenishing almost all of it when you do so,

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/04/2019 at 08:26

Thank you , good advice.

The wheel / tyre size options are

215/65 r16 or 215/60 r17 both Alloy wheels. Dealer insists the car drives the same but is that jusr sales pitch? I live in the country so plenty of pop holes around. Is your view still the same on the slightly lower profile?

The keyless entry ( does not interest me ) but is fitted to the prestige model which is the top of the range, seems I have to drop back and loose some luxury's to loose it which is a shame.

Finally, it seems the consensus so far is the diesel lump will be fine even on my lowish milage driving. The petrol unit seems to be a new engine MFM TL4 1.3 Turbo petrol 130bhp. (1333cc) has this been fitted in any other cars so far? Or is it just a total unknown so best to stay clear?

Thanks again for all your replies, this forum is invaluable.
Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - CHarkin

215/65 r16 or 215/60 r17 both Alloy wheels. Dealer insists the car drives the same but is that jusr sales pitch?

I believe the dealer, it still has 60 profile tyres and its only when you get to 45 40 profiles you start to feel it in the ride, even 55 profiles are OK.

Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - gordonbennet

With the wheel sizes stated, there isn't enough difference to worry about, and in this particular case the 16" size isn't cheap enough or common enough to make it a much more desirable choice, the 17" are barely any more expensive for similar makes/models of tyre, either size i would be happy with.

The 65 will be slightly softer ride, if you compared the two cars side by over the same pot holed section i have no doubt you would notice, but it wouldn't be the stark difference between a 65 and 45 aspect tyre....on our Forester the summer set are 215/55 x 17, winter set 215/60 x 16, the difference is very noticeable, the winter tyres are softer rubber and i'm almost comparing apples and pears.

Just out of interest, on Tyreleader, for Michelin Cross Climate which HJ rates highly, the 16" are £98 whilst the 17" are £115 for your Duster possibility, not that great a difference.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/04/2019 at 13:20

Thank you , good advice.

Dealer phoned this AM to say petrol engine is fitted in many Renaults-like the Kadjar. He thought trouble free. Its just the low miles i do thar concerned me from HJs comments on the diesel engine.

The wheel / tyre size options are

215/65 r16 or 215/60 r17 both Alloy wheels. Dealer insists the car drives the same but is that jusr sales pitch? I live in the country so plenty of pop holes around. Is your view still the same on the slightly lower profile?

The keyless entry ( does not interest me ) but is fitted to the prestige model which is the top of the range, seems I have to drop back and loose some luxury's to loose it which is a shame.

Finally, it seems the consensus so far is the diesel lump will be fine even on my lowish milage driving. The petrol unit seems to be a new engine MFM TL4 1.3 Turbo petrol 130bhp. (1333cc) has this been fitted in any other cars so far? Or is it just a total unknown so best to stay clear?

Thanks again for all your replies, this forum is invaluable.
Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - skidpan

Stick with what you know and as for add blue well it makes regen more efficient and reduces the likelihood of DPF problems as long as you remember to refill it.

As far as I am aware AdBlue has nothing to do with DPF's and Regens.

The DPF is fitted to collect soot particles and regens by burning them off at high temp (extra diesel is injected to get the temp up).

AdBlue is added to the diesel tank when you refuel by a metering system built into the car. It reduces NOX produced by the combustion process.

Two very different things and unconnected other than being required to make modern diesels Euro6 compliant.

Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - RichardW

Stick with what you know and as for add blue well it makes regen more efficient and reduces the likelihood of DPF problems as long as you remember to refill it.

As far as I am aware AdBlue has nothing to do with DPF's and Regens.

The DPF is fitted to collect soot particles and regens by burning them off at high temp (extra diesel is injected to get the temp up).

AdBlue is added to the diesel tank when you refuel by a metering system built into the car. It reduces NOX produced by the combustion process.

Two very different things and unconnected other than being required to make modern diesels Euro6 compliant.

Still not quite right....! The DPF is, as you say, for collecting soot. Some versions of this system (notably Peugeot / Citroen) use an additive (Eloys, a cerine based fluid) which is injected into the diesel tank. This lowers the combustion temp of the soot particles and makes DPF regen easier - other DPF installations (notably Mazda) use excessive diesel injection that can lead to significant oil dilution and engine destruction. The fluid should last 80-100k miles and is a garage job (or advanced DIY) to refill as you need a diag computer to re-set the counter. I don't know if Dacia use an additive or not.

Ad-blue is for NOX reduction, but is injected into the exhaust where it reacts over a second catalyst to turn NOX back in nitrogen and oxygen. It's a solution of 32% Urea in distilled water, and is kept in a separate tank. Consumption depends on diesel consumption, but is around 1 - 1.5 litres / 1000 miles. There's a filler either next to the diesel filler (DON'T put it in the diesel tank!!!), or somewhere in the car. Now widely available at around £1/litre - and easily refilled DIY. You will get a warning when you get to 1500 miles, which will get progressively more insistent - eventually if you get to 0 miles left, then it will refuse to re-start the engine if it is stopped until the tank is refilled. These systems have so far been pretty robust. There have been some reports from VAG about failure of heating(*) / control systems costing a pretty penny to put right.

* ad blue freezes at -11C, so tanks are fitted with heaters to ensure it remains liquid.

Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - skidpan

Still not quite right....!

You spotted my mistake of getting the way AdBlue and Eolys are used confused.

Had 2 DPF's but walked away from cars with Eolys (dealer was quoting £300 for a refill every 36,000 miles and a new DPF every 72,000 miles) as normal service items.

Bought last diesel back in 2010 and will buy no more. Modern turbo petrols are very nearly as economical, drive better and cost less to buy. I also expect they will be easier to sell on in the years ahead as diesel becomes even more stigmatised.

Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - Tester

I'm with you regarding turbo petrols making diesels pretty pointless for most of us, but that dealer was ripping you off! My late lamented Citroen went at least 50,000 miles between Eolys refills (depends how many times you put diesel in the tank, of course, so it won't last so many miles for drivers who constantly top up the tank), and my trusty local independent garage charged about £120 all in to replenish Eolys.

The DPF lasted over 90,000 miles, too, and cost about £300 to replace IIRC, so definitely a leg-pulling dealer!

Wow lots of very good advice.

Ok been to another dealership today and have now driven both the comfort 1.3 turbo petrol and the 1.5 diesel back to back. Hardly anything in it the petrol is more lively when the turbo kicks in and the diesel more torquey and progressive but both drive well.

Need to decide tonight as want to order!

Bottom line is if i stick with the comfort model its another £1000 for the diesel lump in same car. I do 8000 miles a year so using the HJ fuel calculation its a £100 saving if I have a diesel which will probably be used up in ad blue costs.

Another thing i noticed is the engine ( compared to my diesel duster) is now covered in additional components and wires / sensors. Dealer explained its all lower emission and add blue related stuff. Looks harder for me to work on after the 3 year warranty runs out as i service my own cars normally.

So what would you guys do?

The new petrol engine no one has commented on so it may be a unknown, it was certainly quiter than the diesel.

Any last thoughts very welcome and thanks to all that took the time out to reply to me ! ????
Your low mileage use suggests petrol and had the choice been between a Honda 1.0 turbo and 1.6 diesel, Toyota 1.2T v diesel or VAG 1.4 TSi v diesel I’d point you to the petrol every time but but Renault don’t have a good reputation so far for building reliable small capacity turbocharged engines with both the 0.9 and 1.2 TCe’s proving problematic as they age.

That said the latest version of the 1.5 dci is carrying a load of emissions equipment it was never originally designed to take. Will this prove unreliable especially with your low mileage use and intention to home service and do away with any dealer expertise, technical bulletins and software updates?

To be honest I’d rather buy a good used petrol Japanese car like a Honda Civic, Mazda 3 or Toyota Auris instead. All three are better made, more reliable and nicer to drive. The Toyota also comes with a 5yr warranty and the 1.2 turbo will match the diesel Duster for real life economy. I’d buy used also because your intention to service it yourself will increase depreciation and ultimately save little on a new car but an older car it’ll make less of a difference when you come to sell or part-ex.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/04/2019 at 20:26

Thanks for your input. Im used to a SUV car and its practicality and really fancy a new car this time round with a full three year warranty, the first 3 years will be main dealer maintained ( at £350 upfront why wouldn’t I ?) Then local independent with myself for interim lubrication services between etc. A format I've followed for 30 plus years of motoring successfully.

The Petrol engine is a very new unit so i agree a unknown, is there anyone on here that has it in their car? This is Renaults link to the new engine spec

media.group.renault.com/global/en-gb/renault/media...t

Thank you
Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - badbusdriver
Thanks for your input. Im used to a SUV car and its practicality and really fancy a new car this time round with a full three year warranty, the first 3 years will be main dealer maintained ( at £350 upfront why wouldn’t I ?) Then local independent with myself for interim lubrication services between etc. A format I've followed for 30 plus years of motoring successfully. The Petrol engine is a very new unit so i agree a unknown, is there anyone on here that has it in their car? This is Renaults link to the new engine spec media.group.renault.com/global/en-gb/renault/media...t Thank you

As well as Dacia and Renault, the engine is also used in various Nissan's and the Mercedes A Class. But as SLO says, it hasn't been around long enough to determine reliability, regardless of who on the forum, if any, has a car with this engine. Something you really should be taking on board (as well as the potential concerns of the new emissions related equipment fitted to the otherwise well proven diesel) seeing as you want to keep the car outwith the warranty period. Because of that, and your intention to service it yourself, if it has to be a Duster, i'd go with the 1.6 and just get used to going at a slower pace.

Also, bear in mind that there are two other 'budget' SUV's around, both of which come with a 7 year warranty, the MG ZS (a forum member has one, and is happy with both the car and the service from hos dealer) and the Ssangyong Tivoli. Not to mention, some cracking deals on the Suzuki SX4 S-Cross (particularly pre-reg delivery miles 1.0 turbo petrols from under £13k). I'm not saying any of those are better than the Duster, but if i was looking at a Duster, i'd also be looking at alternatives.

Edited by badbusdriver on 15/04/2019 at 22:24

Some valid points. The tivoli is much smaller. i did look at the suzuki but the boot seemed very much smaller than a new duster. i have not seen a mg and not near a dealership which pushed me towards the Duster along with enjoying the mk1 duster and my wife the Sandero Stepaway and they have been totally reliable unlike some much more expensive cars we have owned in the past most plagued with various electrical or mechanical issues ( 2012 ford mondeo estate diesel going into limp home mode on numerous occasions and main dealer unable to fix as no fault codes recorded!) but thats another story!

I think coin tossing may resolve my dilemma then , both engines ‘may’ be a risk then one as unproven and one as having ad blu that it was never built for. Ummm ......
Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - CHarkin

I would not worry too much about the AdBlue, it is purely an exhaust after treatment, the hardware is built into the exhaust pipe downstream of the DPF, itThe liquid itself is cheap and getting cheaper all the time.

I would not worry too much about the AdBlue, it is purely an exhaust after treatment, the hardware is built into the exhaust pipe downstream of the DPF, it only kicks in under higher loads when the EGR is unable to control the NOx. The liquid itself is cheap and getting cheaper all the time.

This is old tech that has been on the go for 20 years and relatively tried and tested.

Edited by CHarkin on 16/04/2019 at 11:54

“This is old tech that has been on the go for 20 years and relatively tried and tested.”

Been used on trucks and buses for years without much worry but mostly on engines designed from scratch to take it. Should be fine though and I’ve more faith in the 1.5 dci than the TCe petrol.
Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - pd

Renault were one of the pioneers of keyless entry and it works really well.

It's a small thing but once you've had it, it is something you really miss in other cars. I would imagine if anything it makes theft less likely as the transmission range of the keyless system is a fair bit less than a conventional remote.

Regarding adblue, yes its been used for a while now, but even in some well respected commercial vehicle makes has not been without its issues.

On my new vehicle for example, i was warned by the maker's trainer not to switch the vehicle off at the isolator switch (this is not an issue with cars, but an example of possible future problems) because after running the engine the adblue injector system blows the adblue exhaust injector clear for several seconds after shutdown, this is because adblu will crystalise when it dries, and could otherwise block the injector.

In lorries if the injector fails its a relatively simple fix, as these things have been designed to be worked on, i would not be confident that car makers have been quite so practical.

Its something i would keep in mind if i chose a new Diesel car, and keep an eye on the relative makers forums of vehicles fitted with this engine to see if issues have arisen and if owners or indy techs have found a way of circumventing or fixing such problems, which they tend to do better than the makers who these days just throw new parts at cars.

Overall, if the choice of car was between the Diesel and this new petrol engine, then i would be opting for Diesel, but continuing my long held method of mechanical sympathy and very good servicing.

Just out of interest, does this new Duster let the driver know, eg by a dash light, that a regen is taking place, and/or can the driver cancel regen immediately if not suitable (the vehicle will resume regen once you get moving again), or start a static regen with vehicle stationary on demand via the menu if the vehicle requests one, this is the state of affairs on my new lorry and i am sure many people would be much happier staying with Diesel cars if similar info and switching was there for those sensible enough to make use of it.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/04/2019 at 12:26

Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - KB.

Really sorry .... I've got nothing useful to add - except to say what a thoroughly useful dialogue here. An intelligently posed question by the OP and equally helpful replies. Proper down to earth stuff.

I keep looking at the Duster. (am I allowed to refer the OP to a website called "Car and Driving" in which there are very comprehensive video assessments of many models including the Duster ... albeit it doesn't include the new petrol engine?)

I too only do a low mileage with quite a few short trips of less than 10 or 20 miles so am led to petrol. I did ring my local(ish) Dacia dealer who was good on the phone and was encouraged to look further.

On the face of it, many would say avoid anything French - and to conremplate a budget French one sounds even worse ... but much of what I read runs counter to that and I find much to appeal to me.

If I may I'll follow the progress of the OP with interest.

“On the face of it, many would say avoid anything French - and to conremplate a budget French one sounds even worse ... but much of what I read runs counter to that and I find much to appeal to me.”

I’d actually favour a lower price, lower spec, older tech French design over a high spec model. Dacia are typically a generation behind Renault and Nissan. No bad thing.
I agree some very interesting view points have been shared here. Its good to hear the praise for the 1.5 diesel lump, Ive found it excellent in my existing duster. Definitely comfort model seems best whichever engine as offers so much without the unnecessary extras.

To summarise though 1.3 turbo Petrol or 1.5 diesel both have pros and cons it seems. Thanks for sharing the ‘ car and driving ‘ link ill have a look tomorrow

Reference deals seems there are a few pre reg 19 plate white ones in comfort trim out there saving up-to £1500 from list so even more tempting.....

In lorries if the injector fails its a relatively simple fix, as these things have been designed to be worked on, i would not be confident that car makers have been quite so practical.

Its something i would keep in mind if i chose a new Diesel car, and keep an eye on the relative makers forums of vehicles fitted with this engine to see if issues have arisen and if owners or indy techs have found a way of circumventing or fixing such problems, which they tend to do better than the makers who these days just throw new parts at cars.

Just out of interest, does this new Duster let the driver know, eg by a dash light, that a regen is taking place, and/or can the driver cancel regen immediately if not suitable (the vehicle will resume regen once you get moving again), or start a static regen with vehicle stationary on demand via the menu if the vehicle requests one, this is the state of affairs on my new lorry and i am sure many people would be much happier staying with Diesel cars if similar info and switching was there for those sensible enough to make use of it.

My VW uses AdBlue and I had a good look at the system out of curiosity. Its a smallish canister like a small silencer around the middle of the exhaust system. It has two NOx sensors one upstream and one downstream and the injector. itself. All easily reached under the car. VAG had a problem with their AdBlue system for a period but it was with the storage tank itself and the inbuilt heater designed to stop the liquid freezing in cold weather. £600 repair.

I don't know of a single car that gives the valuable information you get in a lorry and thats a big pity. Scared it would put less technical people off buying the car. The normal pattern is if a regen is requested but conditions not met it will try later and will do this three times and then the warning light comes on instruction a twenty minute drive or till the light goes out. I dave never had the warning light on any of my three DPF cars in spite of quite a lot of short journeys. On my car an interrupted regen that has cleared 50% of the soot is taken as a regen completed and lets the level build back up before giving a further regen request. Later euro 6 cars have a bigger capacity DPF that gives more head room.

That's interesting CHarkin, thankyou,

though it sounds like a new exhaust when required could be a seriously expensive fix, i have some slight knowledge of trick exhausts designed well before this tech was foisted upon us, our Subaru Outback H6 was originally fitted with a silencer with a by pass built in, a simple enough item that when enough exhaust pressure built up the by pass would open allowing that silencer to be near enough straight through, no aftermarket system available and a new OE system a 4 figure sum, i ended up getting a full stainless system made and fitted for under £300....later models came with twin rear pipes, not just for looks but to allow exhaust gasses to flow better.

Yes it is a pity about everyone being tarred with the 'dumbing down' brush re such regen information, for those disinterested or possibly a danger to themselves and the car the menu could be hidden, but it should be available for those of us who would use the info sensibly.

Obviously knowing the exhaust is going to get hot during a regen is invaluable in my lorry work, but that same info should also be available and obvious for car drivers, many of whom may not realise the exhaust system is being super heated just as they drive onto and park up on a dry grass field, at a summer country show for instance, it's not rocket science the lamp on my vehicle's dash is a simple thermometer/exhaust symbol.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/04/2019 at 16:32

“our Subaru Outback H6 was originally fitted with a silencer with a by pass built in, a simple enough item that when enough exhaust pressure built up the by pass would open allowing that silencer to be near enough straight through, no aftermarket system available and a new OE system a 4 figure sum”

This is why Subaru sell hardly any cars in the UK and values plummet. Parts prices are often crippling even for normal wear and tear items like exhausts and thanks to low volumes cheaper aftermarket parts are often unavailable. I remember taking in part-ex a very tidy full history Legacy 1.6 saloon with a blowing exhaust. The replacement was four figures and that was back in the 90’s and no cheaper alternative other than having one made existed. We punted it through the ring for a loss instead. I believe it’s the importer to blame as this isn’t the case in other markets from what I’ve heard. They aim for maximum profit per car instead of volume here. Shame really as I’ve always liked them but I’m put off by the depreciation and possible parts costs.
Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - nick62

SLO, I think you are 100% correct?

My relative is a main dealer and gave-up on his Subaru franchise about five years ago despite having great customer loyalty, (he is still an Alfa dealer, so he's used to some headache, Subaru must have been bad)!

I had an 18 month old 10,000 mile 2005 Legacy from him which I ran for three years / 60,000+ miles and this was a brilliant car (despite a chocolate clutch which Subaru replaced under warranty not long after I got it) I only sold it when I moved to a commercial (van).

He told me parts like a front brake master cylinder were horrendously expensive for instance. Fortunately I never needed to buy any parts for mine, apart from the smelly clutch, it never went wrong.

Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - corax
Shame really as I’ve always liked them but I’m put off by the depreciation and possible parts costs.

They are good cars but not cheap to run in terms of fuel and tax costs. They can be bought for a good price due to the depreciation, but it's very much a left field choice.

Aftermarket parts availability hasn't been a problem for my Forester so far (rear exhaust box, springs, dampers, droplinks, radiator, front calipers) and all at prices similar to other makes. Go original through the dealer though and it would be economically unjustifiable. I did have both front wishbones changed by the dealer due to one failing through corrosion (recall), I dread to think how much they were.

Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - KB.

Sadly we didn't get to find out which one was bought.

Always a shame when there has been a useful to and fro such as was seen above, with much advice and opinion given to the OP ... and he's not returned to update.

Sorry im the OP happy to update. I purchased the 1.3 comfort petrol but sadly has various issues that are all reported to Hj and loaded onto the review page. Main issues were hill start assist rarely worked, The engine miss fired from cold , numerous returns to main dealer resulted in a ecu software update that killed the drivabilty ( much slower ) and knocked about 12 mpg off the economy ( it became very thirsty) also mp3 player never worked reliably. Another issue was the fan blower only gave full force air flow when braking !! Apparently a trait of smart charging and dealer agreed was a issue but a ‘characteristic’ of the car!!!

Unfortunately my patience ran out so I rejected the car, loosing a huge amount of money in the process! I note the car was resold within days by the dealer no doubt with nothing resolved as they could not resolve for me!!

Hopefully that is useful information for anyone considering the 1.3 petrol. Shane as the car was not bad notwithstanding the above issues.
Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - badbusdriver
Sorry im the OP happy to update. I purchased the 1.3 comfort petrol but sadly has various issues that are all reported to Hj and loaded onto the review page. Main issues were hill start assist rarely worked, The engine miss fired from cold , numerous returns to main dealer resulted in a ecu software update that killed the drivabilty ( much slower ) and knocked about 12 mpg off the economy ( it became very thirsty) also mp3 player never worked reliably. Another issue was the fan blower only gave full force air flow when braking !! Apparently a trait of smart charging and dealer agreed was a issue but a ‘characteristic’ of the car!!! Unfortunately my patience ran out so I rejected the car, loosing a huge amount of money in the process! I note the car was resold within days by the dealer no doubt with nothing resolved as they could not resolve for me!! Hopefully that is useful information for anyone considering the 1.3 petrol. Shane as the car was not bad notwithstanding the above issues.

Sorry to hear that.

I don't know how closely the engines are related, but my mate has a late previous shape Duster with the 1.2T. He has owned it for a couple of years now and as far as i am aware has had no problems with it.

Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - Avant

Many thanks for coming back to us. Not sure at what point you rejected the car - it would be interesting to know why you lost money.

What did you get instead?

The Fiat Doblo both the MPV version and van version have a light that illuminates on the dash board when the DPF is regenerating

It’s always wise to leave a new engine design for a few years until you know if it’s going to be reliable, this is particularly important with French and Italian cars thus the reason why I was pointing towards the well tested 1.5 dci.

Part of the reason why the Japanese are so reliable is that they tend to evolve engine technology rather than start with a fresh untested design every few years as many European firms do. If something works, stick with it and improve. Think Honda 4cyl V-Tech which is based on the same basic design from the late 80’s, the Mazda Skyactiv petrol is based on the old L series motors that date again back to the 90’s but again we’re based on an earlier design. Both are totally dependable.

Edited by SLO76 on 16/02/2020 at 01:10

Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - veloceman
Interesting to hear about misfiring from cold.
It’s looking to be a common problem. VW 1.5tsi (now sorted I think). Both my recent cars have had issues with kangarooing from cold 68plate BMW 320i and 68 Plate Jeep Compass 1.4.
I guess it’s linked to extra emissions kit required after 1st Sept ‘18.
Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - FiestaOwner
Both my recent cars have had issues with kangarooing from cold 68plate BMW 320i and 68 Plate Jeep Compass 1.4. I guess it’s linked to extra emissions kit required after 1st Sept ‘18.

Had the same issue with a 19 plate Toyota Yaris 1.5 (not a hybrid). Wondered if it was down to the way new emissions limits were implemented by Toyota too.

Pleased to report that there are no issues with the 1.0 TSI (115PS) in the Ibiza though.

Would the actual 'kangarooing' cause the emissions to be worse as it happens?.

If it did, that would be quite ironic......!

Back to the duster, they seem a mixed bag in terms of reliability

Most issues appear to be discovered within first few months of ownership and are due to poor quality parts or assembly at the factory.

For example, I read about a bloke who’s 68 plate Duster needed a new drivers internal door handle as the original came apart within first few days of ownership. Likewise, it needed a new heater matrix within the first month. After getting these 2 issues sorted the car was trouble free up to first service and he was a happy owner.

What I don’t understand is these issues don’t seem to apply to Sandero/ Sandero stepway / Logan MCV despite coming from same factory.
Can only assume as the Duster is not a shared platform with the other 3 models, it must have it’s own Assembly line and unique parts.

Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - Zippy123
Unfortunately my patience ran out so I rejected the car, loosing a huge amount of money in the process!

I thought rejecting the car would be for a full refund, less a fair amount for usage made.

I guess if I rejected a £2k TV I would expect a full refund - is this not the same for a car?

Did you effectively sell the car back to the dealer at a loss?

Correct, other than a reasonable deduction for your usage (maybe £500) surely you got the rest of the money back?

Not wishing to disclose too much for confidentiality reasons, however im happy to disclose this bit of information that is apparently industry standard when cars are rejected within a few months of ownership if the faults cannot be rectified , this is a excerpt from the supplying dealers correspondence to me “ you would be entitled to a refund less an amount for wear and tear based on the mileage the vehicle has completed.

That said we would like to come to an agreement and propose we buy the vehicle back from you now. 45 pence per mile is the generally accepted way to calculate any buyback mileage adjustment, this would be deducted from the purchase price and equates to £1200”

So beware folks you wont be put back in the position you were before you purchased the car. The annoying thing was that a vast amount of mileage was racked up going to and from the dealer to get the faults diagnosed then looked at then sort of repaired. So i paid 45p a mile to try to get the issues resolved!

As someone else pointed out leave the ‘new’ engines alone until time proven!
Dacia Duster 2019 - New 2019 Dacia Duster 1.3 Petrol versus 1.5 Diesel - Zippy123

45 pence per mile

Is it a coincidence that this is the HMRC rate for the first 10k miles. If it is then fuel costs per mile should also be taken off at an average of 12 pence per mile and the dealer should have charged 32 pence per mile. Also, the 45 pence includes insurance so a further deduction would be due from the 32 pence.

I would have added back the trips to the dealer. If you have a faulty TV and take it back to the shop you can claim costs incurred / time to resolve etc. Of course this is all easy to say as an armchair warrior!