Driving into Europe with no V5 - JohnX

With the current hoo haa around Brexit I wonder if it advisable to drive into France with a car bought only last week from an auction ie Mannheims.

No V5 yet as it can take 5 weeks for it to arrive from the DVLA.

I do have the signed part of the previous V5 that indicates my purchase of this car.

What would the forum do.

Drive or leave the car here?

Driving into Europe with no V5 - NARU

I've never been asked for my V5.

Just take the V5 slip and the auction house receipt?

Driving into Europe with no V5 - JohnX
Thanks for that.
Will take the receipt and hopefully no badass French cop is going to ask questions and expect me to reply/talk in French (as they seem to often expect that everyone on the face of this planet knows French)
Driving into Europe with no V5 - catsdad
Surely no "badass cop" abroad would be ungentlemanly enough not to conduct business in the Queen's English?

Driving into Europe with no V5 - Fernando P

You should only get stopped in FR if you break the road rules, as is the case in the UK. And if you are, you can expect to be addressed in FR, at least to start the conversation. Should all "foreign" drivers that use UK roads have a good command of English I wonder........! You may be aware that the speed limit in the back roads has now been reduced to 80 KPH. I suggest that the Police have better things to do at the moment than worry about such detail.

Driving into Europe with no V5 - focussed

You have to carry a car registration document in France - either the french carte grise or the UK V5. As you haven't received the replacement V5 yet, carry the slip and the receipt.

And most mobile brigade gendarmes and national police will speak some english.

Driving into Europe with no V5 - FP

In many thousands of kilometres of driving in a UK car in Europe (Germany, Belgium, Holland, France, Italy, Monaco) I have never been asked to produce a V5.

But then, the only time I've been stopped by foreign police was to allow an emergency helicopter to land on the road in the south of France.

I would do as has been suggested and take the documents related to your purchase.

Edited by FP on 05/04/2019 at 12:15

Driving into Europe with no V5 - bathtub tom

I've a smattering of French, German and Spanish but whenever I try to use them the natives find my murdering of their language so bad they quickly respond in English.

Driving into Europe with no V5 - Bromptonaut

I've a smattering of French, German and Spanish but whenever I try to use them the natives find my murdering of their language so bad they quickly respond in English.

Germans and Spanish have both told me 'better we speak English'. Don't ever remember it in France; perhaps I'm more fluent than I think I am.

I've driven probably 50k miles in France in last 20yrs. Always taken the V5 to but never had to present it to Police. The two occasions I was asked for my 'carte grise' both involved garage visits. One for a Xantia's exhaust and other a Berlingo's windscreen.

Even if we crash out I suspect French Laura Norder have enough on their hands without faffing about with tourists.

Driving into Europe with no V5 - Theophilus

10 years or so ago we were driving on a remote country road in the Auvergne when I realised that we had left our passports behind in the gite, half-an-hour's drive away.

Whilst debating whether to turn round and head back (incidentally you should always carry your passport when travelling in France - unless you've got a French identity card), we turned a corner into a tiny hamlet, only to find 2 gendarmes standing in the road signalling us to stop.

We were asked to produce our ID, and my heart sank ... however I did have the V5 and insurance certificate in the car, so produced these and presented them to stall for time whilst I tried to think of how to explain our lack of passports. Fortunately the gendarmes were so pre-occupied in attempting to make sense of the V5 that they forgot all about asking again for our passports!

Driving into Europe with no V5 - drd63
I got pulled for speeding in Italy a couple of years ago. It was a fair cop, I was well over the limit. I had no paperwork, passport or ID as I’d only popped out to get some bread. The policeman just let me go when it was clear I had nothing - I think it was all looking like too much work.
Driving into Europe with no V5 - focussed

On many occasions when we've been stopped at a controle, where les flics stake out a roundabout usually to breathalyse every driver, as soon as they spot us in a rhd car they wave us through, either they think that brits are teetotal, or my reputation for incomprehensible french pronunciation is well known!

Driving into Europe with no V5 - Vitesse6

Got stopped in our village in Brittany by two very young Gendarmes. Produced all the documents only to find I hadn't put the new insurance certificate in the wallet and the one there had expired. They looked at the tax disc, saw it was valid and wished us a happy holiday.

I have had more grief from the woman in the bread shop...