mondeo live with the leak? - misterp
My 94 mondeo has started to leave a little oil on the drive.It has covered 92k and been regularly maintained. I am told it is the crankcase oil seals and will cost £220 + vat.On Chatting to the mechanic I was told it would be ok to leave as long as I do not mind a bit of mess on the drive. The car is due an mot soon so i am reluctant to undertake expesive work that is elective in case more is needed for more work to get it through its mot. I am considering it may be time to cut my losses should it pass as things could start getting expensive soon. Any thoughts?
mondeo live with the leak? - Aprilia
Not really worth repairing. You could try a seal-swelling agent like 'Stop-Leak' as a temporary fix.
mondeo live with the leak? - DavidHM
I don't know how much labour is involved but £220 sounds like a lot considering the parts are highly unlikely to be much at all.

It's also unlikely that it's going to be financially painful for you to keep the car. After all, an M reg Mondeo has now done 90-95% of its depreciating and, if it's been well cared for, probably has a couple of years' life left in it without too much going wrong. I could be wrong but you're asking about probabilities.

If the car fails an MoT on a few small points, there's no guarantee that spending £800-£1200 on a similar one of the same age won't show up all those problems any time now. If, on the other hand, 'cut my losses' means 'I quite fancy a W reg Alfa 156' or whatever, there's nothing wrong with that, but financially you're better off where you are for a couple more years yet.
mondeo live with the leak? - Big Tone
My wifes mondeo 2.0 si 1994 started to drip oil at about 108000miles its now done 124000 and the leak is no worse so my advice would be to live with the leak.
Cheers, my one is an si. the master plan was to keep the car 8-9 years.Ive had it 7 now, never let me down yet touch wood, new cat was most expensive single item. plenty of wishbone bits and exhaust but i recon the cost per mile so far is pretty reasonable. hard not to get a bit twitchy sometimes as these last two or so years are when i'm now able to save most for the replacement and one hope the gamble of bangernomics pays off. I have to say it feels like when i had it, no rattles or squeeks.
mondeo live with the leak? - RichardW
Crankcase oil seals - don't know what they are - susepct you may have misheard? Did they say Crankshaft oil seals? If so (which seems the most likely) then it is probably leaking at the timing belt end, in which case you are running the risk of oil contaminating the timing belt and wrecking it - and £220 for taking the belt off, changing the oil seal, and fitting a new blet seems about right. If it's leaking the other end, then you are running the risk of oil contaminating and wrecking the clutch - £220 to dismantle this end seems very cheap!

'Course I could be miles off and the Mondeo might have some curious seals I know nothing about!

Richard
mondeo live with the leak? - Gazza
Could it be driveshaft oil seal? Driveshaft oil seal seepage is common on Mondeo. I have seepage from the nearside gearbox seal for over two years and it never got any worse, even with the current owner now told me.
mondeo live with the leak? - GTLK
Many years ago I had a 2 litre Cortina - different engine I know- but it also had a small leak at the front of the engine where the crankshaft ended. My local mechanic said that it was far too expensive to fix, given the age of the car and amount of oil I was losing. However, he suggested that I steam clean (not power wash) the engine, particularly around the area of the leak, as it may be that some grit had entered the seal and was causing weeping. Remarkably enough he was right. After steaming, the car never leaked again and lasted until it was nicked.

Great car - completly under-rated, I was sorry it went and replaced it by a Fiat Uno which was a disater.
sorry, it was the drive shaft oil seal i think. said he would have to lift out the gearbox, this sound right?
mondeo live with the leak? - Gazza
As I posted than. It is a common problem with Mondeo. If it is just oil seepage rather than pouring onto your drive, there is nothing to worry about.

Mine has seepaged from 40k to 80k, when I sold it. Now the car is currently at 100k with the new owner. The car is still good, the leak never got worse and requires around 50ml of gearbox oil every 10k. I had a 500ml bottle to top it up every 10k and it had over 250ml left when I sold the car so I gave the owner (friend) the bottle with the car.

Total cost of oil = £4.00

Cost to have it repaired = over £200. (There is no need to take the gearbox out, instead you take the suspension apart, hub off, drive-shaft off and then prise the oil seal out.)

I have the Ford TSB CD if you want to know how to do it, without doing it.

Garrison