caravan tyres - concrete

I hope the forum members include some experienced caravaners. I probably need to have the tyres changed on my Bailley Pegasus Genoa. They are now 6 years old and although they have a good tread I am informed that they need changing anyway. So far so good. the tyre size is 185R14G 104/102N. I cannot seem to find any website that offers these sizes. The profile seems to be the obstacle. Nothing is offered above 80 profile. Does anyone know of a supplier/fitting service that I can contact for a quotation? Any help will be gratefully received.

Cheers Concrete

caravan tyres - badbusdriver

Ebay, here you go,

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-185R14C-104-102N-8Ply-Rating...0

Assuming you can get someone local to fit them.

caravan tyres - gordonbennet

If you put your tyre size in search, TyreLeader is the first hit on DuckDuckGo.

I have brought from them several times, no problems at all.

caravan tyres - badbusdriver

Found these too,

www.worldofmowers.co.uk/tyres/trailer-caravan/gt-k...9

www.bigtyres.co.uk/tyres/trailer-caravan-van.html?...4

www.camskill.co.uk/m90b0s96p109775/Firestone_Tyres...B

Halfords also have the Firestone, it is dearer but the price is fitted,

www.halfordsautocentres.com/tyres/firestone/vanhaw...z

caravan tyres - concrete

Thank you chaps. I didn't know these websites existed until now. Didn't think of e bay either. I just typed in caravan tyres and all the websites that did show couldn't offer the correct tyres. I shall be on the case tomorrow. Thanks and once the again the forum rides to the rescue.

Cheers Concrete

caravan tyres - John F

...They are now 6 years old and although they have a good tread I am informed that they need changing anyway. ...

....by an opportunist tyre merchant, no doubt. Twenty first century tyres do not dissolve or crumble away after a few years. My low annual mileage TR7 tyres were still perfectly adequate and legal after well over twenty years service when I replaced them in 2011. The replacements are now older than yours and I have no intention of replacing them in the foreseeable future.

caravan tyres - gordonbennet

Whilst i wouldn't leave them on to gain vintage or possibly veteran status like our mate John F ....his tyres, not his good self who i am sure is a mere youngster of a chap :-)

i'd be thoroughly inspecting them for any signs of perishing or cracking and if no signs of either i too would be leaving them on for a year or two yet...do you cover them by the way to prevent sun damage, that would help.

caravan tyres - John F

Whilst i wouldn't leave them on to gain vintage or possibly veteran status like our mate John F ....his tyres, not his good self who i am sure is a mere youngster of a chap :-)

i'd be thoroughly inspecting them for any signs of perishing or cracking and if no signs of either i too would be leaving them on for a year or two yet...do you cover them by the way to prevent sun damage, that would help.

Good point re sun exposure. But anyone with knowledge and understanding of modern car tyre construction will realize that a bit of surface cracking is neither here nor there, and certainly poses no risk of a sudden blow out. There's a bit of surface cracking on the relatively flimsy thin tyres on my sons' kiddie bikes which we still have, but they still hold a pressure of double that found in car tyres, despite being well over 30yrs old.

caravan tyres - concrete

I tend to agree with both John F and GB. SWMBO's Honda had a set of tyres on for 14 years and they seemed alright when we parted with it, they were Falken radials. I am sure the tyre companies have a hand in this too. The caravan service engineer pointed out the tyre age and advised us to replace. Wether this is based on knowledge, experience or simply playing safe is hard to determine. The spare, which is under the caravan and never been out since day one is presumably included in the replacement advice. It does seem excessive to me. I have checked the tyres and they look to be in very good condition. We have wheel covers to protect them from the sun too. I think I will quietly forget it for now. If I get a puncture then I might look at it again if it is due to the tyre age.

Cheers Concrete

caravan tyres - bathtub tom

The spare, which is under the caravan and never been out since day one

I do hope you have some means of inflating it if you do get a puncture! My skinny spare needs 60PSI. I do check it occasionally and always find it needs inflating.

caravan tyres - John F

I think the commonest cause of caravan tyre failure is probably overheating caused by too low pressure resulting in sidewall failure, not punctures. Caravan tyres are usually at much higher pressure than car tyres. I've found the best pump to use to inflate a 60psi space saver is a hand operated cycle track pump, not a foot pump.

caravan tyres - concrete

I am due to give the 'van the once over prior to going away in April. I will get the spare out and see what it's like. The 'van tyres are inflated to 50psi so the spare should be the same as it is full size. I have a battery operated compressor which inflates tyres pretty quickly.

Cheers Concrete

caravan tyres - bathtub tom

The 'van tyres are inflated to 50psi so the spare should be the same as it is full size. I have a battery operated compressor which inflates tyres pretty quickly.

My skinny spare's supposed to have 60PSI. No way my battery compressor can get there, nor my foot pump. Has to be a garage compressor.

caravan tyres - Brit_in_Germany

They may not dissolve or crumble away but both UV light and ozone cause the rubber to deteriorate with time. You can block the UV but not the ozone. The rubber will harden with time such that cracks may become visible. The harder rubber will also affect the interaction with the road surface, reducing grip which may not be too critical for a van or a low powered car of the 70's but you really don't want to be driving around on old rubber.

caravan tyres - NARU

.... the tyre size is 185R14G 104/102N.

As no aspect profile is listed, it's assumed to be 80%.

Ignore the load index of 104. 102 is good for 850Kg. So 1700Kg for the pair.

I bought mine at costco (same size as you need). I pre-ordered them and turned up with the caravan on a quiet weekday morning. I did my own jacking of the caravan (they were happy to do it, but I preferred to do it myself). I left the caravan hitched to the car.

Very straightforward.

caravan tyres - skidpan

I had 4 original Michelin Energy tyres on one of our cars that were factory fitted when new. At the 4 year MOT the tester commented that there were surface cracks on all 4 which were not an issue, in truth I had not spotted them.

When I swapped the wheels for the winter ones I contacted Michelin about the cracks and they suggested that I sent the tyres back to them via ATS who would remove them from the rims FOC and if when inspected they were deemed to be OK they would be returned and refitted FOC. I explained I had no need for new tyres and was told there was no condition to buy Michelins if they were faulty. Only condition was the date code on the tyre was no older than 6 years, ours were just over 4 years.

Tyres went away and after about 3 weeks got a letter saying the tyres were faulty and that a cheque for just over £190 (the value of the remaining tread) would be on its way.

Very happy with the result but unhappy that the MOT tester said they were fine.

On the Caterham which does low miles and is garages for 100% of the time it is not being used - sunlight not really an issue) I change the tyres at 10 years (probably 15,000 miles) even if they still have plenty of tread. At that age they are getting hard even if they are not cracked.