Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - SteveLee

Several things have conspired to make modern tyres pretty much useless on snow, firstly the fashion for ultra low profile tyres and which have limited carcass flex, plus the eco loons campaigning against plant food emissions making tyres harder and again less flexible due to the (enforced) obsession of reducing rolling resistance over actually producing a tyre that grips the road better..

The net result is roads become instantly clogged by the smallest fall of snow and secondly we spread millions of tonnes of salt which finds its way into our drains and water courses doing genuine ecological damage - rather than the imaginary one from plant food emissions.

If the law was changed to demand mud and snow marked tyres from November through March the 1st, the requirement to grid roads would be almost entirely eradicated - gritting and the associated infrastructure costs councils lots of money.Of course the UK's quite ridiculous 1.6mm tread limits should be revised upwards to 3mm.

"Normal" people with "normal" cars and tyres could switch to sensible all-season tyres all year round. Those who insist on rubber bands slithered over their 20+ inch wheels can stump up for winter wheels and tyres, the extra cost of preparing their cars for winter is stood by the people themselves rather than the general taxpayer. I think taking to a wintry road on tyres you know are likely to leave you stranded, causing hassle for hundreds if not thousands of other people is anti-social. Take the decision away from the style over substance idiots and make M&S tyre mandatory in the winter.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - Engineer Andy

It's not just the huge amount of cars shod on low profile tyres and huge rims that are causing the problem - its the car manufacturers, in my opinion, colluding with the tyre manufacturers to fit their cars with unusal tyre size combos that mean drivers are limited in their choice of tyres, which raises prices and in many cases limits them to either old designs that aren't very good or even from having certain types of tyre, e.g. all season or winter tyres altogether.

IMHO it's all about them making money on the sly because they were making less on new car sales. Make tyres and wheels that they know are susceptible to damage (as well as wearing quickly) and in certain conditions can lead to accidents (e.g. snow), restrict the choice of downsizing the wheels and tyres and then laugh all the way to the bank when tyres are replaced on a yearly basis because of punctures or blowouts caused by hitting potholes, etc, get more in accident damage repairs as a result.

Ker-ching!

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - Bolt

I think you would be better teaching drivers how to drive in poor weather, out of all the years I`ve been driving there was only one car that was useless in the snow which was the Triumph 2000

I have not really seen many drive sensibly in this weather, which is most of the problem imo, and until you can get drivers to drive sensibly nothing will change, even ditch finders will grip in snow if the car is driven correctly, ok there are exceptions tyre wise but the driving standard these days is diabolical to put it mildly!

Fair point, though I'd rather have both. In days of yore, types weren't ultra low profile and wide, and thus could get ok-ish grip in spite of them being many years (or decades) behind current tyre tech. Perhaps insurers could give discounts for people who've gone on accredited courses for driving in snow and icy conditions.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - Manatee

Overpowered cars (which is nearly all of them), turbos that increase low down torque, wide tyres and aggressive throttle maps to make cars feel more powerful all aggravate heavy footedness.

Even with everlasting tyres it was probably much easier to avoid breaking traction in the 1970s in one's 1600 Cortina with 67bhp (at 5200 rpm), 113Nm of torque at 2800rpm, and 165 tyres. There actually wasn't a lot wrong with 0-60mph in 15 seconds, it somehow just became a critical point of comparison between competing models.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - John F

It's not sensible to inflict such laws on the private motorist. But there would be considerably less disruption if such laws applied to commercial vehicles. They should be either shod with suitable tyres or, in the case buses and heavy artics with smooth tyres, be obliged to carry snowchains and a driver able to fit them. They are the vehicles which effectively close major roads when they reach a slightly hilly stretch.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - barney100

Our local single deck buses were sliding all over the road in the recent snow. Car drivers seemed generally to drive sensibly, going slowly and keeping a good distance from others. No more laws please.

Overpowered cars (which is nearly all of them), turbos that increase low down torque, wide tyres and aggressive throttle maps to make cars feel more powerful all aggravate heavy footedness.

Probably why (hope I'm not temptin fate here) I seem to do ok driving in snowy conditions, even on summer tyres (though not driving anything really powerful, RWD, auto or shod on wide, low profile tyres) - I'm generally a light-footed (not Captain slow) driver. Probably why my average for getting through a set of tyres is around the 40k miles mark, and mostly that's me getting rid of them due to them ageing, not wear.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - gordonbennet

Have you seen the general standard of driving out there?, enough to make you weep, and the suggestion is to make people fit suitable tyres so they can blast around like the fools they are in the snow and ice, so when they do come unstuck the resulting smash will be at considerable higher speeds than currently.

A large percentage of drivers are best left ill informed about their bling oversized wheels, let them spin and unable to get off their drives or out of the car park, the rest of us are much better off without these fools feeling as unbreakable on snow as they do on other road conditions, when it's as plain as the nose on your face that the only reason they don't leave the road and injure themselves and others is because of all the electronic stability faff controlling the car for them.

Have you seen the general standard of driving out there?, enough to make you weep, and the suggestion is to make people fit suitable tyres so they can blast around like the fools they are in the snow and ice, so when they do come unstuck the resulting smash will be at considerable higher speeds than currently.

A large percentage of drivers are best left ill informed about their bling oversized wheels, let them spin and unable to get off their drives or out of the car park, the rest of us are much better off without these fools feeling as unbreakable on snow as they do on other road conditions, when it's as plain as the nose on your face that the only reason they don't leave the road and injure themselves and others is because of all the electronic stability faff controlling the car for them.

I couldn't agree more GB well said, but don't forget the electronics are only assistance for a car and wont prevent others from hitting you, especially the way some drive

Neither of course can the electronics subvert the proverbial "laws of physics"!

Good point from GB - for 51 weeks of the year it's just about possible for a moderate driver in a car of recent manufacture to get away with making no real allowance for road surface conditions, and plenty seem to try and take that approach. It's good in a way that they get a sharp reminder now and again that it might not be a good idea.

I don't think this is much of an exaggeration. It's just about guaranteed that the first foggy or snowy day of the winter on the local bypass (A41, Aylesbury - M25, only about a 15 miles stretch) will result in an accident and significant delays.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - Bromptonaut

I cannot see any need for a winter tyre law. Certainly not in most of England and Wales.

Since I left full time London based work in 2013 there have been 2 days where snow or ice have made my journey to or from my three/four days a week job locally difficult. The days concerned were a Thursday and a Friday in Feb last year. Drove home on Thursday on wet slush with pretty much no effective braking; drove on the throttle alone with engine braking for retardation. Not sure how much use winter tyres would be then.

If froze overnight and the office was placed on skeleton staff of those living in walking distance.

By Monday it was gone.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - Leif
Ten years ago when we had heavy snow, my little Ford Ka was scuttling up and down hills, passing countless expensive rear wheel drive cars unable to move. I stopped to help dig out several. The only time I got into trouble was because I had to stop, the road being blocked by a Mercedes. Once stopped, getting going again required that I remove snow from the road in front of the car.

This year I was stationary for three hours 1km from home because two lorries had collided. There was a very long queue of cars on the dual carriageway. I couldn’t do my usual short cut because it was blocked by a 4 by 4 style vehicle stationary on the slope. The same day the M3 was blocked, and I heard that was due to lorries jackknifing.

Front wheel drive cars are okay in snow when driven sensibly, assuming it is not too deep, and if you carry a spade in the car, you should be okay. Maybe it should be mandatory to carry a snow shovel?

Anyroads, my next tyres will be Michelin CrossClimates or similar. Unfortunately my current tyres have 4.5mm tread left after 20,000 miles. Then again, snow is uncommon down here.
Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - Bromptonaut
Front wheel drive cars are okay in snow when driven sensibly, assuming it is not too deep, and if you carry a spade in the car, you should be okay. Maybe it should be mandatory to carry a snow shovel?

A shovel is more efficient for shifting snow but a spade is good for breaking up ice/frozen slush. We add a spade to both cars if driving in snow.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - corax
A shovel is more efficient for shifting snow but a spade is good for breaking up ice/frozen slush. We add a spade to both cars if driving in snow.

And a smallish shovel or spade at that. You get these huge plastic scoops which are OK for shifting lots of snow but it weighs a fair amount. The last thing you want is to put your back out, and cold temperatures make muscles stiff, or when you've been sitting in a car for a while.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - madf

In the late 60s as a student I drove an Austin A35 on the standard size 145*13 tyres but with winter tyres on the back. I lived near Banff about 50 miles from Aberdeen. Never was stuck in snow despite often 2 meter + high drifts subsequently cut down to a passable 30cms of snow. Narrow tyres + minimal power (34bhp?) + good ground clearance (no spoilers or undertray mean RWD was not a problem).. Got through loose now much more modern cars (eg Rover 2000) got stuck in.

Much less traffic then though..(My Rover 75 with summer tyres was pants on snowy hills0

Now my Jazz is on 175/65/15 CC tyres.. never really got stuck on summer tyres but a few hairy moments in 20cms of fresh unploughed snow one year. RWD plus CVT plus narrow tyres = no problems on snow or mud.

( Not snow related but muppet drivers out in force on road passing house to Moorlands behind. Discovery hit Peugeot 5008 on a straight stretch - front wings only.. And for the first time at 7am one Friday, daily walk up hill discovered Citroen C3 on roof - having hit bank on side and rolled. Ambulance fire brigade and police blocked narrow road - I assumed driver unhurt as I walked past.- no snow or frost at time - but near a sharp curve a notorious blackspot.)

Edited by madf on 03/02/2019 at 12:34

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - bathtub tom

In the late 60s as a student I drove an Austin A35 on the standard size 145*13 tyres

Mine was on 5.20 x 13. Were radials available then?

In the late 60s as a student I drove an Austin A35 on the standard size 145*13 tyres

My Micra had 175/60 R13 on them. Actually they were the 'sporty' wider version of the standard 155/70 R13 on most other standard supermini cars at the time. I had some amazing Bridgestone RE720s on them - even though they were summer tyres, they worked great in the wet and very well (for a summer tyre) in the snow.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - madf

Only Michelin X - with a very sharp breakaway - as friend with a Triumph TR3A discovered!!

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - badbusdriver

Ten years ago when we had heavy snow, my little Ford Ka was scuttling up and down hills, passing countless expensive rear wheel drive cars unable to move. I stopped to help dig out several. The only time I got into trouble was because I had to stop, the road being blocked by a Mercedes. Once stopped, getting going again required that I remove snow from the road in front of the car.

Many years ago i was living in Wigan and working at a local garage. One winter i got a loan of a Fiat Cinquecento (899cc) to come home to Noth East Scotland for Christmas and new year. It also happened to coincide with a lot of snow, but the little Fiat was unstoppable on its dinky little tyres which, if memory serves, were 145's!. These days, that would be considered a space saver tyre, but they worked a treat in the snow. Even further back i had a MK2 Fiesta diesel which was similarly brilliant in the snow, i found that if (in the unlikely event) i couldn't get through a snow drift going forwards, i could just turn it round and it would reverse through pretty much anything!.

Ten years ago when we had heavy snow, my little Ford Ka was scuttling up and down hills, passing countless expensive rear wheel drive cars unable to move. I stopped to help dig out several. The only time I got into trouble was because I had to stop, the road being blocked by a Mercedes. Once stopped, getting going again required that I remove snow from the road in front of the car. This year I was stationary for three hours 1km from home because two lorries had collided. There was a very long queue of cars on the dual carriageway. I couldn’t do my usual short cut because it was blocked by a 4 by 4 style vehicle stationary on the slope. The same day the M3 was blocked, and I heard that was due to lorries jackknifing. Front wheel drive cars are okay in snow when driven sensibly, assuming it is not too deep, and if you carry a spade in the car, you should be okay. Maybe it should be mandatory to carry a snow shovel? Anyroads, my next tyres will be Michelin CrossClimates or similar. Unfortunately my current tyres have 4.5mm tread left after 20,000 miles. Then again, snow is uncommon down here.

Sounds like my experience in Jan 2003. Many similar comments on the other thread:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/128379/one-snowfla...d

PS. My current car's (rubbish) OEM tyres also had the same wear as yours but after 40k miles, but changed them as they were also 6.5 years old and were getting very hard, leading to a poor ride quality, excessive noise and, worst of all, a couple of hairy moments when the back end stepped out whilst cornering at relatively low speeds in light rain.

If yours are younger or a newer design (that may last longer before that happens), then they'll probably be ok (are these the ones you swapped your 'dodgy' tyres for or was that another Backroomer?) for the time being.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - Andrew-T

What are automatics like in snow? Presumably clutch control is no longer in the driver's hands? (or feet)

What are automatics like in snow? Presumably clutch control is no longer in the driver's hands? (or feet)

TC (don't know about the latest CVT's) are lovely, having infinitely variable progressive power fed in, automated manuals are not in the same league and dual clutch boxes being a posh automated manual about the same.

My automatic Landcruisers have been the best vehicles i've ever driven in poor conditions apart from double drive manual tipper lorries (unstoppable), SWMBO automatic Forester XT isn't as nice as despite being TC auto as it wants to take off like a scalded cat at the merest touch of the throttle which close maneuvers er interesting.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - badbusdriver

We don't get a lot of snow where I am, too close to the sea(!), so not a huge amount of experience in either our current Jazz or the Hyundai i30 turbo diesel before it. But what little I did experience showed me that missing the clutch pedal was no problem at all pulling away. I can use as little throttle as I deem necessary and it is fine. Using the gears manually to slow down is also fine, even on the Jazz. Even though it doesn't actually have gears, it's stepped ratios work the same way, i can put it in sport mode, which will hold it in a lower ratio anyway, but I can also use the paddles for further control. Biggest problem with the i30 was the Eco tyres, which were utterly hopeless on ice and snow, despite being fairly narrow with a tall sidewall.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - RT

Better than manuals - no clutch to suddenly create wheelspin and "automatically" change up to the highest gear.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - Smileyman

Everything Steve has stated is sensible and achievable too. Lots of other sensible comments too, eg tyre sizes.

My present car came with 215/40/17 tyres. It's an obscure size, not a great range of tyres and what is available is stupidly expensive. Lower down the model range is size 185/60/15 ... a much more popular size, better range of tyres and much more wallet friendly prices. The spare that came with the car was this size so it must fit all 4 wheels. So I've changed and put on Michelin CrossClimate tyres. Any good in the snow? - others say so, I've yet to see any in my corner of Kent (on the coast) so I can't say. But, crucially too, these tyres are 3 mountain peaks certified with the relevant symbol embossed on the side so there must be a winter capacity.

The problems over the past few days were cars getting stuck in snow, I'd like to see an analysis of the tyres on these cars, and whether any cars were able to keep going whilst others around couldn't.

For HGV's I'd think chains would be a the simplest answer, but not being an HGV driver others may have a better solution.

After Brexit has been absorbed and normal legislative life has began again I'd like to see changes to tyre law so that there is a blanket ban of sales of less safe tyres altogether, and to encourage (force) tyres like the CrossClimate or the new Bridgestone Weather Control A5 or similar to be factory fitted to new cars so to reduce the likelihood of vehicles getting stuck every time a few inches of snow falls.

Everything Steve has stated is sensible and achievable too. Lots of other sensible comments too, eg tyre sizes.

My present car came with 215/40/17 tyres. It's an obscure size, not a great range of tyres and what is available is stupidly expensive. Lower down the model range is size 185/60/15 ... a much more popular size, better range of tyres and much more wallet friendly prices. The spare that came with the car was this size so it must fit all 4 wheels. So I've changed and put on Michelin CrossClimate tyres. Any good in the snow? - others say so, I've yet to see any in my corner of Kent (on the coast) so I can't say. But, crucially too, these tyres are 3 mountain peaks certified with the relevant symbol embossed on the side so there must be a winter capacity.

The problems over the past few days were cars getting stuck in snow, I'd like to see an analysis of the tyres on these cars, and whether any cars were able to keep going whilst others around couldn't.

For HGV's I'd think chains would be a the simplest answer, but not being an HGV driver others may have a better solution.

After Brexit has been absorbed and normal legislative life has began again I'd like to see changes to tyre law so that there is a blanket ban of sales of less safe tyres altogether, and to encourage (force) tyres like the CrossClimate or the new Bridgestone Weather Control A5 or similar to be factory fitted to new cars so to reduce the likelihood of vehicles getting stuck every time a few inches of snow falls.

If the snow and ice is that bad, no law is going to make tyres grip better, I think there are more than enough laws as it is without making laws to do the impossible

although there is one law I would like to see come in and that is to outlaw second hand part used tyres as some are not too clever and can be dangerous, but that's my opinion

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - Smileyman

"If the snow and ice is that bad, no law is going to make tyres grip better, I think there are more than enough laws as it is without making laws to do the impossible"

Agreed, but was the snow last week really that bad? Or was it just unsuitable tyres asked to do a job they were incapable of doing?

"If the snow and ice is that bad, no law is going to make tyres grip better, I think there are more than enough laws as it is without making laws to do the impossible"

Agreed, but was the snow last week really that bad? Or was it just unsuitable tyres asked to do a job they were incapable of doing?

That depends on who was driving the motor imo, but suspect this will be a discussion point for years to come, regardless of whether the drivers were at fault for having little to no control over there vehicles, or blaming the tools that do the job of moving them about, its been an interesting discussion though reading what others think about it....

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - John F

Everything Steve has stated is sensible and achievable too.

I profoundly disagree. He said this....

"Normal" people with "normal" cars and tyres could switch to sensible all-season tyres all year round. Those who insist on rubber bands slithered over their 20+ inch wheels can stump up for winter wheels and tyres,....... Take the decision away from the style over substance idiots and make M&S tyre mandatory in the winter.

We (a couple of pensioners) have three cars, only one of which has winter tyres and which gets used when conditions are bad. It would be stupid to enforce M & S tyres on our other two cars.

I don't think there's much evidence for significant ecological salt damage, either.

Edited by John F on 04/02/2019 at 11:57

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - SteveLee

Everything Steve has stated is sensible and achievable too.

I profoundly disagree. He said this....

"Normal" people with "normal" cars and tyres could switch to sensible all-season tyres all year round. Those who insist on rubber bands slithered over their 20+ inch wheels can stump up for winter wheels and tyres,....... Take the decision away from the style over substance idiots and make M&S tyre mandatory in the winter.

We (a couple of pensioners) have three cars, only one of which has winter tyres and which gets used when conditions are bad. It would be stupid to enforce M & S tyres on our other two cars.

I don't think there's much evidence for significant ecological salt damage, either.

I never said winter tyres, what's wrong with all season tyres? Do we really need road tyres designed to optimize lap times around the Nurburgring on a hot sunny days?

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - drd63
Don’t be so daft, not to mention petty. We get a few days of snow a year and most of the salt is used dealing with frost. M3 was the road grabbing most of the headlines and the blockage was caused by trucks. BTW, I live just north of Winchester and was driving around on 275/40/19 tyres on Friday and over the weekend. What, in your humble opinion is a “normal” person and car?
Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - oldroverboy.

Does anyone know why truck drivers don't like fitting chains?

Try doing it. I was hitchhiking through the Spanish French border coming back

COMING rom Portugal in 1974 and in the snow in the mountains nobody wanted to fit them.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 04/02/2019 at 07:02

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - Metropolis.
That’s an interesting time to be in Portugal! Pre or post Carnation revolution?
Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - corax
What, in your humble opinion is a “normal” person and car?

Think he means people who are not interested in driving or motoring, but need to travel on roads through necessity. Some of those will drive irrespective of the conditions, and these days they don't have a simple rear wheel drive car with a live axle to teach them to slow down.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - straggler

Mud and Snow tyres are designed to work well in, um, mud and snow. Gritting of the roads would still be required to deal with ice as you need studded tyres for this.

Your first paragraph is very Jeremy Clarkson - full of gammony attitude but short on facts - grippy tyres are available. Some people just prefer tyres which give better economy.

And all weather tyres are a compromise. They have less grip in dry, warm weather than a standard tyre. Which seems to contradict your attitude in the first paragraph.

Mud and Snow tyres are designed to work well in, um, mud and snow. Gritting of the roads would still be required to deal with ice as you need studded tyres for this.

Your first paragraph is very Jeremy Clarkson - full of gammony attitude but short on facts - grippy tyres are available. Some people just prefer tyres which give better economy.

And all weather tyres are a compromise. They have less grip in dry, warm weather than a standard tyre. Which seems to contradict your attitude in the first paragraph.

"They have less grip in dry, warm weather than THE BEST standard tyre" - but still more than enough grip away from race tracks.

How many owners refuse to pay the high prices for the BEST standard tyres, preferring something cheaper and less capable?

An average all weather tyre will have less grip on a normal road in warm weather than an average summer/standard tyre.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - Leif

An average all weather tyre will have less grip on a normal road in warm weather than an average summer/standard tyre.

Take a look at magazine tests, you might be surprised by the performance of the best all weather tyres.

But the best summer/standard tyre will always out-perform the best all weather tyre in the right conditions due to the nature of the compromise of the latter.

I have nothing against all weather tyres. I was just pointing out the flaws in the original post.

Edited by straggler on 07/02/2019 at 13:11

To be fair to all-season tyres, especially the best in class (essentially the latest), many appear to be as good as similar non-performance summer tyres from the previous generation (say 3-5 years ago) in non-winter conditions, but FAR superior in winter conditions, never mind snow and ice.

Tyres are always going to be some sort of compromise, but they have improved a great deal in the last 20 years or so, especially all-season tyres, that have experienced marked improvements in performance, mpg and life just in the last 5 years. I'm not surprised that they are rapidly gaining in popularity.

Even the use of winter tyres has grown in the UK, as more people are aware how good having two sets of tyres can be for use in more northerly and remote areas. Websites like this have helped, but I think it's been the public's greater access to useful information from the likes of YouTube, the excellent Tyre Reviews website and other forums that have ensured people are far more aware of what the situation is, making more informed choices.

With all engineering, the best solution is always the best compromise. As I never intend to get anywhere near the limits of the best tyres in the dry, a bit less dry grip than the best 'summer' tyres is not a problem.

Honda used to have a slogan in the Civic ads, 'built without compromise'. It was of course as far from the truth as it could have been, as the car was far from being the fastest, or biggest, most comfortable or most economical. But it was perhaps a very good compromise.

I'll concede that Honda didn't compromise much on reliability. We had one for 12 years and literally nothing went wrong with it.

The first time I used M+S tyres was in the Alps in winter 2017/18. The difference is unbelievable. Far better than I was expecting eg my work vehicle would drive as normal on a road my private vehicle (with standard tyres) wouldn't even move on.

But does the UK have enough snow (in the majority of the country) to justify the expense of five wheels with M+S tyres? Maybe snow chains would be a better option? Certainly more economical.

All season tyres are not the same as M+S tyres, of course. They will give more grip in snow than standard tyres but far less than M+S tyres. And in many European countries the obligatory winter tyres must be marked "M+S" (and/or have the snowflake symbol). All season tyres are not acceptable.

Edited by straggler on 07/02/2019 at 13:18

M+S marking originated in North America but has no agreed standards and virtually no meaning in Europe - the Three Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMSF) is the European standard required for winter tyres.

Many All-Season tyres have the 3PMSF symbol, though not mandatory, making them ideal for many UK drivers.

M+S marking originated in North America but has no agreed standards and virtually no meaning in Europe - the Three Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMSF) is the European standard required for winter tyres.

Many All-Season tyres have the 3PMSF symbol, though not mandatory, making them ideal for many UK drivers.

Indeed - my Michelin CrossClimate + tyres have the 3 peak snowflake symbol. I've found them to be essentially as good to drive on (grip wise) as my previous Dunlop SP Sport FastResponse (summer) tyres outside of the winter, and they are certainly a bit more quiet and more comfortable (even when the Dunlops were new) in the cold conditions of winter.

I haven't really experienced any really bad winter conditions (I missed driving in the recent snow by 1 day) as yet to tell if they really grip better when running in snowy/icy conditions.

Time for sensible winter tyre laws? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

And my Vredestein Quatrac 5 all seasons are marked with both M+S and the 3 peak with snowflake. Not visibly like the noisy and vibratory Town and Country tyres the old timers will recall .

And my Vredestein Quatrac 5 all seasons

Family have used Quatrac 2 and 3 and pleased, would value your opinions of Q5 if you would be so kind GWS.