BMW 3 Series Touring - BMW 335d vs 320d - Dingle232
Am looking to buy a BMW 3 series touring and have seen identical spec cars in 320d and 335d flavours. I'm really tempted with the 335d as it's quite an incredible performer for a diesel and I always thought I'd get one when I could. Price difference between the two is about £2500 which I'm happy to fork out for the 335d.

The reason I'm hesitating is the 'nickability' of the 335 and whether I'm being over cautious in that regard. My car is left in a secure car park during the day and in a locked garage behind locked gates at night when I am home so it's as secure as it can possibly be I guess.

Am I being too paranoid? They're both nice cars.
BMW 3 Series Touring - BMW 335d vs 320d - SLO76
You are being paranoid. Relax and buy the one you want. I’ve driven both and there’s no denying that the larger engine is in another league both in performance and refinement.

I’m assuming that you’re talking about a new or nearly new approved used example here and not an older model?
Yes both are 2018 models and from BMW dealers. I was going to push the button on the 335d today but hesitated for the above reason
BMW 3 Series Touring - BMW 335d vs 320d - Avant

Dingle - this was you only last September:

"It was a toss up for me between a CRV and a RAV4 this time and I chose the CRV because of the nicer interior and better MPG. I plan to keep this for a good while and squeeze the value out of it - it should do starship mileage if I look after it."

What happened to the CRV?

As between BMWs I'd always go for the straight-six if I could afford it. If your carf spends its days in a secure car park, do you do enough mileagwe to need a diesel? The petrol straight-six is even better, albeit thirstier,.than the four.

Dingle - this was you only last September:

"It was a toss up for me between a CRV and a RAV4 this time and I chose the CRV because of the nicer interior and better MPG. I plan to keep this for a good while and squeeze the value out of it - it should do starship mileage if I look after it."

What happened to the CRV?

As between BMWs I'd always go for the straight-six if I could afford it. If your carf spends its days in a secure car park, do you do enough mileagwe to need a diesel? The petrol straight-six is even better, albeit thirstier,.than the four.

Avant, It was. Things in life change, sometimes unexpectedly as in my case, and your wants and needs change accordingly.
BMW 3 Series Touring - BMW 335d vs 320d - andrew bairsto

In the UK there is a 70mph speed limit I think. a 2.0 is more than adequate

BMW 3 Series Touring - BMW 335d vs 320d - craig-pd130

That's true - and drinking water alone is more than adequate to sustain the body's daily need for liquids. But sometimes, you might fancy a drink with a bit more of a kick :)

BMW 3 Series Touring - BMW 335d vs 320d - badbusdriver

Technically correct but given the majority of BMW's engine troubles (certainly according to this website) centre around the 2.0 4 cyl diesel, out of the two i'd be inclined to go for the 6 cyl 335.

Looks like the consensus is the 335d then. I was kinda hoping that was the case - may not be the most sensible option but will be a lot of fun.

BMW 3 Series Touring - BMW 335d vs 320d - sandy56

The 320D is adequate for most people's needs, but would I prefer a 335D, yes thanks.

The 320D is adequate for most people's needs, but would I prefer a 335D, yes thanks.

I completely agree - it's a 'nice to have' that I may never get an opportunity own again so I may as well have some fun whilst I can.

BMW 3 Series Touring - BMW 335d vs 320d - SLO76
“Technically correct but given the majority of BMW's engine troubles (certainly according to this website) centre around the 2.0 4 cyl diesel, out of the two i'd be inclined to go for the 6 cyl 335.”

Correct, the six’s are much more robust as well as nicer to drive.

Well, thanks for the advice it's useful to know that the 6 pot is a better engine.

I've just bought myself a 335d. Am very much looking forward to getting it.