New SUV - Rashd

Hi

I'm looking to buy a SUV for my partner,

Mileage up to 60k, 5-10k a year driven

No earlier than 2012

Budget up to £8,000

My options include Juke(£6.5k found), Suzuki sx4 scross.

Any other options? reliability is key

Thank You

New SUV - oldroverboy.

MG zs 1.5 manual Brand new £5,453 deposit .. £179 per month 0% interest.

7 year warranty 80,000 miles

New car, new tyres, everything new...

mg.co.uk/mg-zs?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqKP_7pfw3wIVq5XtC...E

others may have offers too.

New SUV - badbusdriver

The Juke doesn't have that great a reputation for overall reliability, though there is a forum member who had no issues. The SX4 S-Cross does have a very good reputation for reliability, so you wouldn't go far wrong with one of those. Assuming it is to be a manual gearbox then possibly a Skoda Yeti, or a Kia Soul (£8k would get you into a 2015 with a couple of years left on the warranty) or Sportage, Hyundai ix35. Those last two are a little bigger, but if size isn't an issue, the Honda CR-V is an exceptionally reliable car, and your budget would just get you into a 2012.

New SUV - badbusdriver

Also, your budget would get you into a 2015 Ssangyong Tivoli 1.6 petrol.

Here is a Tivoli,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180523679...1

And here is a Kia Soul,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181018160...1

In case you are unfamiliar with what either looks like!.

New SUV - SLO76
Wouldn’t touch the Juke, it’s nothing more than a heavier, thirstier, less enjoyable driving Renault Clio.

The Suzuki is fine but if it simply has to be an SUV I’d also be looking at a 1.6 petrol Kia Sportage or Hyundai ix 35. Both are reliable and well made if a bit drab to drive but both are vastly superior to a Juke.

Personally I’d rather have a more mainstream family hatch like a Toyota Auris, Honda Civic, Ford Focus 1.6 or Mazda 3 all petrol at this money. They’ll drive better, be just as practical, be better on fuel and it’ll give you much more choice.
New SUV - badbusdriver
Wouldn’t touch the Juke, it’s nothing more than a heavier, thirstier, less enjoyable driving Renault Clio. The Suzuki is fine but if it simply has to be an SUV I’d also be looking at a 1.6 petrol Kia Sportage or Hyundai ix 35. Both are reliable and well made if a bit drab to drive but both are vastly superior to a Juke. Personally I’d rather have a more mainstream family hatch like a Toyota Auris, Honda Civic, Ford Focus 1.6 or Mazda 3 all petrol at this money. They’ll drive better, be just as practical, be better on fuel and it’ll give you much more choice.

The problem with the ix35 and Sportage is that they are both pretty porky (around 1380kg), so the n/a 1.6 needs to be worked pretty hard. By contrast the Soul weighs around 160kg less but has the same engine (it is a smaller car though). Suzukis are generally pretty svelte and the SX4 S-Cross is no exception with the 1.6 petrol tipping the scales at just under 1100kg, so under normal driving duties i would expect its mpg to be no lower (and possibly higher) than a 'normal' car with a similar n/a 1.6. There would probably be a difference at higher speeds where the poorer aerodynamics of an SUV would have an effect.

New SUV - Rashd

I think if it was the ix35 or sportage it would have to be diesel based on the mpg returns.

But saying that I think the sx4 scross(petrol or diesel) is tempting based on advice.

New SUV - badbusdriver

I think if it was the ix35 or sportage it would have to be diesel based on the mpg returns.

But saying that I think the sx4 scross(petrol or diesel) is tempting based on advice.

5-10k per annum, doubtful it would be worth the risk of going diesel for that mileage?

Personally, I'd favour the Kia Soul if it's looks appeal. A word of caution though, there are a variety of funky looking special editions, most of which have very large wheels with ultra low profile tyres. These apparently give a very harsh ride, so i would avoid these and go for a model with a more modest wheel/tyre combo.

New SUV - Engineer Andy

Your mileage doesn't warrant a diesel, and as others have said, buying one looks good on paper as regrads the fuel cost, but a second hand modern diesel can very easily be a ruinous purchase - people often get rid of them either just before the warranty runs out or when they know it has an issue they don't want to pay for.

Either way, using it (the previous owners or yourself) in that way (low mileage/repeated short trips from cold) can easily lead to major and very expensive problems (far outweighing the cost of owning a petrol version) in short order. Its a big risk for the vast majority of makes, except, perhaps, Hondas, who seem more (but not completely) resilient to DPF problems, etc, but you pay a higher price for them as a result.

Note that in the grand scheme of things, the fuel cost difference for relatively low mileage will pale into insignificance compare with the purchase and maintenance costs.

Better to find a newer generation economical petrol (e.g. VAG's small capacity TSIs) or low weight non-turbo petrols (not many around, only Mazda really do them) which are a bit more relaible over the long term but are about 5% less fuel efficient than the best turbo-petrols.

Many VAG cars about - I'll leave explanations to others with more knowledge, but I'd say most should get mid 40s mpg except for the bigger ones, some as high as 50 unless you're going to use it round town all the time.

For a small-ish SUV like the Mazda CX-3 2.0 petrol (unfortunately it's too new to be in your price range yet, cheapest are £10k for the first 2015 models) you'd get about low to mid 40s mpg out of it - on par with the bigger/heavier but more aerodynamic Mazda3. You may to consider the equivalent CX-5 which should return in 2WD petrol form (don't ever get the diesel) about 35-40mpg with a light foot;

Others with older style non-turbo engines around the 1.4/1.6L petrol like the Kias/Hyundais will likely get around the same, perhaps a bit less (high 30s), as they are older tech, but generally reliable units, just not that nippy.

The petrol engined cars will likely be more reliable over the longer term. I'd also go for the mid-spec cars as well, getting the lowest spec you absolutely need, so that insurance is less and there's less to go wrong. You'll also get higher profile (55 to 65)/smaller (15-17in/up to 215 wide) tyres which give a better ride, are less susceptible to damage, last longer, give better mpg and cost far less to replace.

What's the reason for getting an SUV - looks, high driving position, ease of entry? Some similar-ish MPVs and hatches might well suit both and the budget and give just as good interior and boot space.

New SUV - SLO76
Gently driven a Sportage 1.6 GDi 2wd should be able to hit 40mpg on a run easy enough and with your low annual mileage you’d save peanuts and open yourself up to potentially very expensive problems over the full ownership term by opting for the diesel which will barely do 7-10mpg more and that’s before you factor in the fact that diesel fuel is more expensive.

I wouldn’t recommend a diesel SUV at this money or to someone who does such a limited mileage. If fuel economy is important then get something a bit more aerodynamic and lighter like a normal petrol engined Focus sized family hatch instead.
New SUV - madf

If fuel costs are an issue, don't buy a SUV.. They are bigger, heavier and less aerodynamic. than the equivalent car..

New SUV - badbusdriver

If fuel costs are an issue, don't buy a SUV.. They are bigger, heavier and less aerodynamic. than the equivalent car..

If fairness the OP has not mentioned fuel costs as being a factor, only reliability.

New SUV - Rashd

Sorry forgot to mention reason for suv is the high factor due to back problems and putting in /out kids. so really unsure which hatchback/mpv would cater for this as an alternative

New SUV - oldroverboy.

Sorry forgot to mention reason for suv is the high factor due to back problems and putting in /out kids. so really unsure which hatchback/mpv would cater for this as an alternative

But... please let us know what you do choose!

New SUV - badbusdriver

Just stick with the Suzuki (which was one of your original choices anyway) and you'll be fine. I know I said I'd favour the Kia, but if there are kids involved, the Suzuki has a usefully bigger boot. On top of that they are extremely reliable and while not the most efficient option out there, as a 1.6 petrol, it aint going to be too bad, certainly not with the mileage you mentioned.

New SUV - Happy Blue!

A small MPV is far more suitable than an SUV for ferrying the kids and not hurting your back. I had the same dilemma about 16 years ago and it was not until three years ago that i bought a car of regular height again. In between I had several cars all above standard height, the best of which was a Ford S-Max. For your money you would get into a nice Ford C-Max Mazda 5, Renault Scenic, Vauxhall Zafira, Toyota Verso, etc etc.

New SUV - Engineer Andy

A small MPV is far more suitable than an SUV for ferrying the kids and not hurting your back. I had the same dilemma about 16 years ago and it was not until three years ago that i bought a car of regular height again. In between I had several cars all above standard height, the best of which was a Ford S-Max. For your money you would get into a nice Ford C-Max Mazda 5, Renault Scenic, Vauxhall Zafira, Toyota Verso, etc etc.

My thoughts exactly (see above). Nice slidey rear doors on the Mazda as well.

New SUV - Rashd

I yesterday took the sx4 scross for a drive and wasnt overly excited with the firm ride. I understand the mpv suggestions but I think i might shift to an ix35 facelift(13/14). once driven i think its ix35 or scross.

New SUV - Engineer Andy

Bear in mind that many models, especially the upper trim models, are shod on large wheels coupled with low profile tyres. Unless a car is brand new, the ride has probably firmed up (what it'll be like if you keep it for 3+ years) even on a test drive car that may have only done a few thousand miles.

Sometimes you can swap out the large rims and tyres for small ones and tyres (same outside diameter) with a higher sidewall, giving a more cushioned ride (more air) at a smallish penalty to the handling. It often depends upon the size of the brakes and what the manufacturer will allow (ref to the dealer/owner's manual - some will have a plate showing the possible tyre sizes on the drivers' side door frame.

New SUV - jgrahampo

I bought an 07 CRV 2.2 CDTI in May have done about 12000m since and it is grand. No DPF to worry about although it did need a new clutch and DMF(£980) shortly after, Car was £4450, one owner with 74500 miles on it.

I have serviced it myself oil, pollen and air filters and oil change bosch filters and gulf oil from ECP £53, first car I have done that with it was a doddle.

So CRV or equally a Subaru XV (if in budget) gets my vote.

Avoid Subaru Diesels though they are commonly failing

Edited by jgrahampo on 21/01/2019 at 16:56

New SUV - retgwte

Dacia stepway