Subaru Legacy/Outback - Subaru AWD New Tyres - Cluedo

Hi, a little advice if you would please. I am sure I have read on this site before the reasons fro changing all four tyres at the same time on a AWD Subaru. Can someone please direct me to the post that discussed this or the article it was in.

I am sure there is a view that these systems are very sensitive to tread depth differences. I have just had four tyres fitted but was told by the Tyre shop that it was not necessary and he could just change one (nail in the tyre). They are all three years old and getting close to the legal minimum so I went with all four.

As a matter of interest I have swapped from Bridgestone Duelers to Michelin Latitude Sport 3 and the difference is huge in every respect, the Michelins are a far superior tyre in my view.

Subaru Legacy/Outback - Subaru AWD New Tyres - Engineer Andy

I'm not sure if there's a specific discussion threda deicated to it, but a search across the Motoring Discussion and Technical areas of the Back Room will probably help, using 'tyres' and 4WD or 4x4 as the search terms.

In addition, Honest John himself often states the reasons when people ask him on his weekly 'Agony column', and teh archives of which can be found via the News section of the website.

In general, and from memory, the reason for changing all four at the same time is to avoid one pair or single tyre having a sufficent disparity in tread depth, and thus in rolling circumfrence, as the 4WD system will notice the difference in rotational speed and think one or more of the tyres are slipping and keep altering the amount of power being delivered, which presumably isn't good for a smooth ride or probably for the transmission.

I'm sure others more in the know will be able to elaborate more and to give the maximum disparity in tread difference before such an issue becomes a problem.

Subaru Legacy/Outback - Subaru AWD New Tyres - gordonbennet

If you have one larger tyre then the differential on that axle has to constantly work to make the difference in rolling radius, but in the case of 4x4's (Subarus being permanent full time all wheel drive) the centre differential also has to work constantly to accommodate the same issue.

Rear axle on a Subaru could well be a strong LSD so the axle diff doesn't really want to comply with permanently 'slipping' so in theory could transfer more of difference to the centre diff, which also won't benefit from working all the time.

Then the VSC system might sense the slower rotating wheel (fitted with the now larger tyre) and trigger stability correcting brake adjustments.

These are just a few thoughts off the top of my head, no doubt others will know just how realistic these issues and any resulting damage would be.

In all honesty Subaru is one of the more robust AWD systems, but even so i wouldn't be putting either of our AWD Japanese (one Forester) through any more constant strain of the transmission than necessary, and i do rotate the tyres to even wear out.

Many thanks to you both - as ever this site is full of useful advice and help.

Subaru Legacy/Outback - Subaru AWD New Tyres - skidpan

In all honesty Subaru is one of the more robust AWD systems, but even so i wouldn't be putting either of our AWD Japanese (one Forester) through any more constant strain of the transmission than necessary, and i do rotate the tyres to even wear out.

2 people in the office where I worked before I retired had Subarus (Impreza and Legacy Estate) and both cars suffered rear diff failure. Both cars were low mileage (the Legacy had done about 20,000 miles in 5 years) and in the case of the Legacy had new tyres fitted every couple of years (dealer insisted they were necessary when he serviced the car).

Based on that experience it seems to me that they are not that robust but they are definitely very expensive to maintain. Despite this one person actually replaced the Impreza with another Impreza despite the crippling costs.

Subaru Legacy/Outback - Subaru AWD New Tyres - Engineer Andy

Sounds like this is a good way of advocating regularly rotating of tyres to even out wear from front to rear. I know with my FWD Mazda my rear tyres barely see 2mm of wear in 6 years, the fronts about double that in the same time - I kept forgetting to ask my dealership to rotate them when it was in for its annual service, which is annoying when I always did when I had my previous Micra.

Getting older and more forgetful.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 06/12/2018 at 19:18

Subaru Legacy/Outback - Subaru AWD New Tyres - hillman

“”In all honesty Subaru is one of the more robust AWD systems, but even so i wouldn't be putting either of our AWD Japanese (one Forester) through any more constant strain of the transmission than necessary, and i do rotate the tyres to even wear out.” 2 people in the office where I worked before I retired had Subarus (Impreza and Legacy Estate) and both cars suffered rear diff failure. Both cars were low mileage (the Legacy had done about 20,000 miles in 5 years) and in the case of the Legacy had new tyres fitted every couple of years (dealer insisted they were necessary when he serviced the car).

Based on that experience it seems to me that they are not that robust but they are definitely very expensive to maintain. Despite this one person actually replaced the Impreza with another Impreza despite the crippling costs.”

I have had a Legacy /Outback 2006 model from new and I still use the tyres, Yokahama Geolander G900, which were a feature of the original car. I’ve never rotated them. The main problem is with wear on the front near side wheel, which I have come to accept. I believe that other AWD makes suffer the same.

I agree with the comment about the cost of parts.

Subaru Legacy/Outback - Subaru AWD New Tyres - daveyjp
36,000 on my Forester. Tyres swapped diagonally every service and still on originals. Shoulders on all four are worn, but centre section 4-5mm so should see 40,000 miles.

What tyres have you fitted to the Forester davey.

Subaru Legacy/Outback - Subaru AWD New Tyres - daveyjp
OEM Yokohama Geolanders M&S.
Subaru Legacy/Outback - Subaru AWD New Tyres - corax
Tyres swapped diagonally every service and still on originals. Shoulders on all four are worn, but centre section 4-5mm so should see 40,000 miles.

I should have done this last year. Should get around 20,000 miles before I have to replace them. Goodyear Efficient Grip's, they have a soft compound. I will probably go for the same. A lovely quiet tyre even when worn, comfortable and very good grip. I also have the scrubbed shoulder on the nearside front.

Subaru Legacy/Outback - Subaru AWD New Tyres - Compost Corner

You run the risk of burning out your diffs if your tyres vary in circumference. As well as rotating (I thought it was front to rear same side?) get the tracking and four wheel alignment checked every couple of years to keep everything wearing evenly. Its the price you pay for 4 wheel drive.