Golf 1.4 TSI Match 2012 - Advice on VW Golf purchase - Zero

Hello all , thought I should turn to a forum and communicate with a human as I am getting website weary . Ideally , I would ( or wifey would ) like a DSG version of the above Golf Match but I am not sure if the DSG problems were ironed out during 2012 . So advice here would be great. I did note that this model had a timing chain but there were problems here I gather . Pending a test drive , I might even opt for the GT version if standard 1.4 feels under powered . I am a bit restricted in my choice as my garage was built in the 1960's so anything bigger than a Golf MK 6 is out .

Mostly, the car will be used for local journeys but with once a fortnight longer journeys of 140 miles across Devon and Dorset which will include Motorway , A and B roads . I did try out a Toyota Yaris Hybrid but it seemed under powered and the general design needed a bit more love . So , I suppose I am suckered into the VW design, for now at least . But, if the above listed faults are common then it is time to move on . Ah , I forgot I did want a 2.0 diesel golf with DSG as I had one before - loved it . But diesel is now the new bad boy and will I think , eventually be targeted by local councils via extra parking charges - an easy one to implement here .

Thanks for your time .

Jeff

Edited by Zero on 03/12/2018 at 20:18

Golf 1.4 TSI Match 2012 - Advice on VW Golf purchase - gordonbennet

Don't have a DSG out of warranty Jeff is my tuppence, it's just not worth the risk.

I would have thought an Auris hybrid would be a better comparsion to the Golf, and with the bigger engine likely to have a bit more oomph about it, likely also to be reliable long term and will tick all the boxes when the green stasi take charge.

Golf 1.4 TSI Match 2012 - Advice on VW Golf purchase - KenC

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/golf-vi-2.../

the bad points dramatically out weigh the good, you will have to read it to decide if it is relavent

Edited by KenC on 03/12/2018 at 20:55

Golf 1.4 TSI Match 2012 - Advice on VW Golf purchase - badbusdriver

Totally agree with GB. Definate no on anything with an automated manual gearbox, especially dual clutch versions (unless buying new and getting rid of before the warranty is up), which are too complicated for their own good. If you must have an auto, stick to something with a torque converter auto or CVT. As well as the Auris GB mentions, look at the Honda Civic, Mazda 3, Kia Cee'd, Hyundai i30 and, assuming the budget means pre-poweshift (which is a dual clutch automated manual), a Ford Focus.

Thanks ,

You are on the right track GB.

I did try out an Auris Hybrid but I have a brick wall running down part of the interior of my garage which would restrict the opening of the Auris front door - it has a longer front end than the golf , if you get my drift here . I'll double check though .

Edited by Zero on 03/12/2018 at 21:52

Golf 1.4 TSI Match 2012 - Advice on VW Golf purchase - Big John

The late versions of the EA111 are sorted but this is only after engines built late 2012.

I'd also avoid the dry clutch DSG gearbox for this size of engine.

NEVER GET the twin charger higher powered version of this engine. The supercharger/turbo combo was a disaster. Many engines have had major issues with oil burning/piston damage, valve damage etc....

The later Golf with the later EA211 1.4 engine and more power is much better but there still is the minor matter of the dry clutch DSG. This has been superceeded but only on newish cars.

To tell between the engines the earlier EA111 has the oil filter high up above the alternator. With the EA211 it's down below. Also with the EA111 the turbo is a the front of the car with the EA211 it's between the engine and the bulkhead.

Edited by Big John on 03/12/2018 at 21:42

Golf 1.4 TSI Match 2012 - Advice on VW Golf purchase - KB.

There's a contributor with the username "Zero" on the other forum, and he too is Jeff.

Same one?

Ah , it has to be me then. Can't remember being on this site for many a year or its the early stages of dementia kicking in at my end,

Edited by Zero on 03/12/2018 at 22:05

Ok , I'll play safe so the DSG is out , maybe the manual 1.4 TSI ? . Incidentally , I have a £ 10 -12 K budget . Quite bit of info given over tonight so I shall read it carefully tomorrow . The list of VW faults is a bit of a shocker . Timing belts scare me I had a nasty/expensive experience whilst using a friends Polo circa 1997 .

Thanks again .

Edited by Zero on 03/12/2018 at 22:30

That'll be Zero, the steam lover, who went from Lancer Estate to 540i then?

Edited by KB. on 03/12/2018 at 22:32

Golf 1.4 TSI Match 2012 - Advice on VW Golf purchase - Avant

Welcome back Zero: we haven't seen you since 2012!

I think KB and I are thinking of someone else. I know that the other Zero lives in Surrey. He had an inheritance and was able to buy a £50k BMW 540i, but I like to think that he would have a bigger budget for his wife's car. No risk of confusion: when he posted on here he had a different nom de clavier.

As moderator I can see your previous posts, and I notice that your wife used to have a Volvo V40. Would she consider the current, smaller V40, which has been around since 2012? I believe that some models had a more reliable automatic transmission, although you'd need to avoid any that hadf the Ford Powershift box, which is as bad as the dry-clutch DSG.

Otherwise people on here often recommend the Mazda 2 or 3, or the Honda Civic (all petrol).

Edited by Avant on 04/12/2018 at 08:35

Welcome back Zero: we haven't seen you since 2012!

I think KB and I are thinking of someone else. I know that the other Zero lives in Surrey. He had an inheritance and was able to buy a £50k BMW 540i, but I like to think that he would have a bigger budget for his wife's car. No risk of confusion: when he posted on here he had a different nom de clavier.

As moderator I can see your previous posts, and I notice that your wife used to have a Volvo V40. Would she consider the current, smaller V40, which has been around since 2012? I believe that some models had a more reliable automatic transmission, although you'd need to avoid any that hadf the Ford Powershift box, which is as bad as the dry-clutch DSG.

Otherwise people on here often recommend the Mazda 2 or 3, or the Honda Civic (all petrol).

Well I have to say, Avant ... I was genuinely pleased to see your explanation above. It all seemed so strange. Strange that he other Zero, from across the way, would come back here - strange because the tone of the post didn't sound right for him - strange that he was asking about a relatively inexpensive car when he (the other one) would have been in a position to rise above such things now - and strange because the other one rarely asks questions, much preferring to to dispense his wisdom and wit (OK, maybe not the wit) to all and sundry in a particular manner which wasn't reflected by Jeff.

(what was the old nome de clavier? ... it has escaped me).

And, by the way, WELCOME to Jeff.

Golf 1.4 TSI Match 2012 - Advice on VW Golf purchase - FP

"There's a contributor with the username "Zero" on the other forum, and he too is Jeff."

I believe it's spelled "Geoff".