MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - oldroverboy.

Friday after taking the Niro back I picked up a ZS excite demo with 2100 miles on the clock for a good test drive. (at my request)

did the deal.

After 300 + miles more impressed..

More internal space than the Venga,bigger boot. room for a full size 16" spare with 205/60/16 in the boot without sacrificing space as per the venga

According to the trip computer more economical. (?)

(Don't laugh) better looking..

Seats very good after 160 miles non stop. this morning 130 miles home..

deal done £10990 inc 1st service and a full (yes) full tank of fuel.

Salesman not pushy, but young and explained touchscreen and tech really well for an old codger like me.

Refused to pay admin fee... ok sir no problem..

Edited by oldroverboy. on 26/11/2018 at 14:12

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - nellyjak

If you are happy...and plan to keep it a while..then why not.?

It looks a decent car for the money and the deal you did sounds a good one.

Enjoy.

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - SLO76
All that matters is that you’re happy with it. Just don’t be trying to sell this one in the near future as they do drop rather hard I’m afraid. MG entered the market in a rather haphazard manner with substandard budget cars like the MG6 and early MG3 at too high a price. Had they aimed more towards Dacia’s price point I’m sure they’d be everywhere by now.

It was definitely a compromise on price/kit/warranty but I am pleasantly surprised at the radar reversing which shows distance on the screen, DAB radio good, sound system sounds ok

found a new aftermarket alloy 17" as a spare £65 and will get a tyre and jack.

OEM is a spacesaver.@£169

will post update after a couple of weeks.

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - TheGentlemanThug

As someone who has to motor on a rather limited budget and values reliability above all else, I'm curious how well MG are going to perform here. It's the only thing that's really holding me back from buying one. Well, that and a lack of choice on the second hand market.

Seen a few here in Suffolk. Anyone who buys one from Kerridges in Needham Market will be well looked after. They have an excellent reputation for customer service.

Although I didn't get it from them, they were good to go and see before, (they had sold their demo a while back) They will be servicing it and any accessories will come from them.

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - joegrundy

Coincidentally, I walked past a parked one of these this morning and was interested enough to stop and have a gawk. (I think that there used to be a Dacia Stepway parked in the same spot so maybe the owner has changed).)

The ZS had a sort of brown fabric upholstery which I wasn't too keen on, but looking around it as much as I could without being arrested, I was quite impressed. A good-looking car in the modern style, I thought.

Coincidentally, I walked past a parked one of these this morning and was interested enough to stop and have a gawk. (I think that there used to be a Dacia Stepway parked in the same spot so maybe the owner has changed).)

The ZS had a sort of brown fabric upholstery which I wasn't too keen on, but looking around it as much as I could without being arrested, I was quite impressed. A good-looking car in the modern style, I thought.

That is the "leatherette".. slippy ucky (to me) so an MG ZS exclusive...was it auto?

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - Avant

That's a lot of car for £11k, ORB (£3k off new list price): best of luck with it.

This may well be one of those cars (like most Toyotas) that are a lot better than you'd believe from reading the magazine road tests, whuch are usually written by young men in a hurry.

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - SteveLee

Nice one - something a bit different, and a lot of car for you money.

That's a lot of car for £11k, ORB (£3k off new list price): best of luck with it.

This may well be one of those cars (like most Toyotas) that are a lot better than you'd believe from reading the magazine road tests, which are usually written by young men in a hurry.

List was £14590.... a lot, so saved a bit more.. (metallic cosmos silver).. so with 1st service free and a full tank of fuel a tiny bit extra saving.

already installed boot protector and mats. drove locally yesterday a bit once home.

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - paul 1963

As a long time lurked on here but a avid reader of your posts Sir, jolly well done, trust it serves you well

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - pd

I think they might hold their price OK.

Whilst the MG6 dropped like a stone and MG3 hasn't done a lot better my local dealer simply can't get enough of the ZS. They could sell twice as many if they could get hold of them and they have a waiting list. This means, at the moment anyway, used examples are really holding their price.

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - daveyK_UK

Interior space is very impressive on the new MG ZS, alot of car for the money

When I enquires september at my local dealer, who only had Exclusives in stock delivery was for Dec 12 for a batch of new white ones.. so about 3 months delivery factory order.

I get the impression that they are selling better that SAIC thought.

several 67 plates gone for £11990 ish while i was looking. Mine, (incredibly) was £1000 of that price for a Black Friday special.

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - Big John

I've just been looking at pictures of the ZS and would you believe the front seats interest me as they look comfortable. I'll have to try one. I'm struggling these days to find a car that suits me for seat comfort as most cars seem to have become more and more bolstered and somewhat narrow for my big and tall frame! I'm also finding cars have harder and harder rides - all this being tested at the Nürburgring.

Great price for any new car and 7 year warranty as well. I have been looking at the Skoda Karoq but the price heads to near £30k after a couple of options - waaaaayy tooo much for my Yorkshire wallet.

Enjoy!

Edited by Big John on 27/11/2018 at 21:34

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - Engineer Andy

I saw one of these when going shopping yesterday - looks like they've modelled it on a combination of the SEAT Ateca and Nissan QQ. Not bad looking. Only a 3* review here, but for the price...not bad at all. Let us know how you get on with it ORB.

IMHO (other than how it drives) the main downside is the lack of a (stable) dealer network - my local moved away (well, split off from the local KIA dealer) then again (in the wrong direction) after dreadful sales figures (before this car came out). That dealer's 'website' doesn't even have a photo of the dealership and is very 'bare' to say the least - I wonder how long they'll be there for? That would be my worry, especially if like me you keep you car for a good while.

I’ll be interested to know how you get on with it. I know I often talk the firm down but other than styling that isn’t to my taste and a history for high depreciation they do seem to be pretty robust things by all accounts and I’ve been tempted a few times by cheap MG6’s slipping through auctions without a single bid. Like Sangyong I think they’ll make good used buys at 3yrs plus but while you did get a good deal I still think you’ll take a fair hit in the wallet here.

All this talk of salesmen suggesting there’s a waiting list for them well I’m sorry but if that were true they wouldn’t be slashing thousands off the list price. I’ve never given more than a token gesture off any car that I had a list of willing buyers for. With import restrictions on Japanese built Mitsubishi’s we weren’t allowed to take money off certain models at all, not a penny.

Edited by SLO76 on 27/11/2018 at 21:38

I’ll be interested to know how you get on with it. I know I often talk the firm down but other than styling that isn’t to my taste and a history for high depreciation they do seem to be pretty robust things by all accounts and I’ve been tempted a few times by cheap MG6’s slipping through auctions without a single bid. Like Sangyong I think they’ll make good used buys at 3yrs plus but while you did get a good deal I still think you’ll take a fair hit in the wallet here. All this talk of salesmen suggesting there’s a waiting list for them well I’m sorry but if that were true they wouldn’t be slashing thousands off the list price. I’ve never given more than a token gesture off any car that I had a list of willing buyers for. With import restrictions on Japanese built Mitsubishi’s we weren’t allowed to take money off certain models at all, not a penny.

I'll qualify what I said.

One of the 3 local dealers within 20 miles of Colchester quoted me that delivery time for a white one after WLTP . They only had exclusives in stock (3) and never give discounts.. Their used stock is always at the highest possible price. For the venga, they offered £6000, I was offered £6500 elsewhere. One of the other dealers sold their demo at only £750 off list. The other, slightly further away had a pre-WLTP pre reg white at £12995. venga £6000 with them.

I got mine elsewhere... nett £10990 inc 1st service and a FULL tank of petrol. 150 miles away. worth a £13.20 train fare..

None of these smaller dealers give discounts, The three we have are all family dealerships, and naturally,I didn't want to pay nearly full price for a demo.

Look at brown& Gammons website...www.ukmgparts.com/cars-for-sale

look at the prices.. and I think £21.000 for a GS is taking the michel...

Edited by oldroverboy. on 28/11/2018 at 08:52

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - thunderbird

Just looked on our closest dealers website and they have loads of MG stock available.both new, pre-reg and used. Pre-Reg ZS Excite advertised at £11500.

But the company clearly has leaned nothing form the real MG's demise when they ended up selling cheap Tata cars with a union jack badge on pretending they were made in Longbridge. The local dealers website proudly says:

MG, a much-loved British brand, designed and engineered in Britain

No mention of where they are actually produced.

I have nothing against "foreign" cars, in fact getting a British car today would be virtually impossible. But to openly pretend that MG is still a British brand by using words carefully chosen to mislead the ignorant buyers is something that surely should be stopped.

Edited by thunderbird on 28/11/2018 at 10:48

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - KB.

In all honesty I have no point to make and no reason to either favour the MG marque nor to criticise .... I have no experience with MG in it's latest incarnation and never owned one of the earlier ones either but I do think it could be easy for someone with only a limited general knowledge of cars to reflect on MG as they were regarded in past years (i.e. a stalwart of British motoring history and manufacturer of a wide range of classic and well regarded cars going back to the 1920s) ... and to think that MG carried on in the same vein today. Which clearly isn't the case.

However, notwithstanding the aforegoing, I would be keen to ask if ORB compared the MG offering with other, dare I say, "budget" makes ... and I'm thinking primarily of Dacia here. I guess you must have looked as they've become quite popular and widely commented upon.

I would guess the Duster is fairly similar in size and, possibly, specification and would be pleased to hear how any comparsion you might have made went.

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - badbusdriver

However, notwithstanding the aforegoing, I would be keen to ask if ORB compared the MG offering with other, dare I say, "budget" makes ... and I'm thinking primarily of Dacia here. I guess you must have looked as they've become quite popular and widely commented upon.

I would guess the Duster is fairly similar in size and, possibly, specification and would be pleased to hear how any comparsion you might have made went.

There are 3 SUV's at this end of the market, as well as the Duster, there is also the Ssangyong Tivoli (now with a 7 year warranty).

Looking at the specs on the reviews section of this website it seems the manual version of the ZS is only available with the n/a 1.5, but the auto is only available with the 1.0t. Both have around the same power, and the peak torque is not far apart either (though presumably the 1.0t will have more torque at lower revs). Given the 1.0t engine is likely to be more efficient as well as lighter, it seems odd not to put it in the manual too?. This would make the ZS stand out more from the Duster and Tivoli, both of which use n/a 1.6 petrol's for the basic model. Weirdly, the Duster used the excellent 1.2t in the last of the line old shape Dusters, but has not been carried over(?).

Edited by badbusdriver on 28/11/2018 at 14:44

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - KB.

I see that Dacia will introduce a new 1.3 Tce petrol engine next year. 128bhpand 148bhp apparently - manual transmission only at the outset ... hopefully an auto. to follow.

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - 72 dudes

In all honesty I have no point to make and no reason to either favour the MG marque nor to criticise .... I have no experience with MG in it's latest incarnation and never owned one of the earlier ones either but I do think it could be easy for someone with only a limited general knowledge of cars to reflect on MG as they were regarded in past years (i.e. a stalwart of British motoring history and manufacturer of a wide range of classic and well regarded cars going back to the 1920s) ... and to think that MG carried on in the same vein today. Which clearly isn't the case.

Agreed, KB. In just the same way that many people regard Lexus as something quite different to Toyota.

It's been happening for years of course, I remember the popularity of the Triumph Acclaim, which no doubt the majority of the public thought was British through and through. Same with the later Rover 213 to a lesser extent, although Japanese cars were gaining rapidly in popularity by the mid '80s.

It's been happening for years of course, I remember the popularity of the Triumph Acclaim, which no doubt the majority of the public thought was British through and through. Same with the later Rover 213 to a lesser extent, although Japanese cars were gaining rapidly in popularity by the mid '80s.

My dad had a Triumph Acclaim in about 1984, excellent car and despite the Triumph badge BL were at the time proud to let customers know it was a Honda Ballade (Civic saloon) clone, the front end was 100% pure Civic. But even though they were pretty much 100% Honda mechanically they were at least assembled at Canley thus some UK worker input.

He followed it up with a Rover 213, still a Honda clone but far more BL input. It was rubbish.

Nissan were doing the same with the Cherry at the same time but instead of using a company like BL who had a somewhat checkered history of quality and reliability they used Alfa Romeo who had a 100% history of totally rubbish quality and reliability. It was called the Nissan Cherry Europe or the Alfa Romeo Arna depending on the badge, both were sales disasters.

Minor update.. discovered no locking wheel nuts.. (not supplied as OEM)

Mcgards from Rimmer bros £21.75.

400 miles using a roads and 30 miles of M25 and about 50% local 37.5mpg

Getting used to Touchscreen. Note.. do not use on move.

heating controls thanfully analogue dials and buttons.

Find my car feature....

So Far So good..

Range so far before fuel light comes on 340 miles. took 40.5 litres.. 48 litre tank.

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - Big John

Which engine?

1.5 4 cyl

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - Engineer Andy

Minor update.. discovered no locking wheel nuts.. (not supplied as OEM)

I wouldn't worry - in fact, it's a good thing:

1. Who's going to nick the alloy wheels of your car - a premium brand's is more attractive;
  2. Apparently they aren't quite as secure as the car manufacturers would have you believe;
  3. What happens should you forget to bring your special nut key with you and you need to change the tyre, or the dealer does a poor job taking one off/putting it back on meaning the key now won't fit?

My 12yo Mazda3 (a RHD Euro import) never had them without issue, and unless you live in a high (vehicle) crime area, I can't see them being stolen. More chance in a bicycle being stolen.

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - Senexdriver
I know almost nothing about the reincarnated MG brand or their cars, so when I saw your thread I opened it out of pure curiosity, but also because I was interested to know what would replace your Venga. I do know that the brand is now Chinese and that their first offerings were a little...shall we say...offbeat. So I didn’t expect too much of your new car, but when I Googled it I got a pleasant surprise. That is not a bad looking car! I shall be interested to know how you get on - good luck.

Early Japanese cars were a bit of an oddity, but who would have predicted how dominant they are now and the Koreans are following suit, so we shouldn’t be surprised if Chinese brands follow the example too.
“He followed it up with a Rover 213, still a Honda clone but far more BL input. It was rubbish.”

Surprised you though that. I flogged loads of these used in the 90’s and has a constant waiting list. Brilliant little family cars and that 12v 1343cc Honda motor was outstanding. Shame they rusted as badly but they never went wrong mechanically.
MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - badbusdriver
“He followed it up with a Rover 213, still a Honda clone but far more BL input. It was rubbish.” Surprised you though that. I flogged loads of these used in the 90’s and has a constant waiting list. Brilliant little family cars and that 12v 1343cc Honda motor was outstanding. Shame they rusted as badly but they never went wrong mechanically.

Agree completely, while the 216 Vitesse was a bit lame, even for the day, the 213 was a cracking little car with that sweet as a nut Honda engine.

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - daveyK_UK

the 1,3 Honda engine in the 213 was ahead if its time, a brilliant engine

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - joegrundy

Yes, agree. I had an Acclaim whose only fault was that it had been under-used in its early life.

Later had a 213 I used for work. Excellent car, I thought.

“He followed it up with a Rover 213, still a Honda clone but far more BL input. It was rubbish.”

Surprised you though that. I flogged loads of these used in the 90’s and has a constant waiting list. Brilliant little family cars and that 12v 1343cc Honda motor was outstanding. Shame they rusted as badly but they never went wrong mechanically.

The engine in the Acclaim was a gem. It had twin side draft carbs just like rally cars of that era used and it went unbelievably well for a 1300, it replaced a Talbot Horizon 1300 so not much competition there.

The engine in the 213 had exactly the same power, more valves but only a single down draft car and felt flat compared to the engine in the Acclaim. But like the Acclaim it never went wrong but unlike the Acclaim it rusted badly. before it was 3 years old the drivers door had rust appearing from the seams at the top and the excellent Rover dealer simply wrote "rust in doors" in the service book rather than sorting it.

Luckily it was written off just before its 3rd birthday.

At that point dad decided (rather strangely I thought) to get another 213 but by then it was the new hatchback version that used Rovers own K series engine. Another stroke of luck, a 6 month waiting list so he bought a totally reliable Astra which he actually liked and it never rusted.

MG ZS excite - Made a choice... - 72 dudes

At that point dad decided (rather strangely I thought) to get another 213 but by then it was the new hatchback version that used Rovers own K series engine.

That would be a 214 then.

Strangely the 'new' 216 hatchback used the Honda engine, which again was smooth and revvy if not particularly torquey. Mrs 72 dudes had a 1991 216 GSi which was quite a pleasant car.

Unfortunately we traded it in after 2 years for a later 'egg shaped' 216 SLi, which was horrible and drank fuel. Looking back, we only changed because the earlier 216 was looking dated and the egg-shaped version was relatively modern! Hindsight and all that....