Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - ekka

So here's the thing, I overtook a cyclist on a perfectly straight road, clear and dry road conditions, there was no contact or injury of any kind, and yet out of the blue I receive a summons for driving without due care and attention, this cyclist had posted his cycle cam footage to our local Police force. When I questioned the Police on this matter they said it had been viewed by an officer of many years standing and the her judgement was I had passed too close, and the offence therefor had been "proved"

I have searched high and low for any mention of a specific distance that you need to pass a cyclist, in fact to pass anything, and I cannot find anything other than vague advice or recommendations, but my point is there is nothing specific as far as I can see in law.

I'm now undecided if I should accept the "awareness" course to escape a fine and points, but it certainly goes against the grain to feel you have not committed an actual offence, what do folk out there think.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - piggy

So here's the thing, I overtook a cyclist on a perfectly straight road, clear and dry road conditions, there was no contact or injury of any kind, and yet out of the blue I receive a summons for driving without due care and attention, this cyclist had posted his cycle cam footage to our local Police force. When I questioned the Police on this matter they said it had been viewed by an officer of many years standing and the her judgement was I had passed too close, and the offence therefor had been "proved"

I have searched high and low for any mention of a specific distance that you need to pass a cyclist, in fact to pass anything, and I cannot find anything other than vague advice or recommendations, but my point is there is nothing specific as far as I can see in law.

I'm now undecided if I should accept the "awareness" course to escape a fine and points, but it certainly goes against the grain to feel you have not committed an actual offence, what do folk out there think.

I I RC the safe distance for passing a cyclist is a minimum of one metre. Cyclists need to be allowed this distance as they can sometimes sway into the path of an overtaking car.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - daveyK_UK

If your certain of your version of the events, then take it to court.

The police will have to provide you with the video before the court date.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Bilboman

Search no further: Highway Code Rule 163 states that when overtaking a cyclist a driver should leave at least as much room as when overtaking a car. In Spain where I live, it's been a 1.5m safety gap for years now, and drivers are specifically obliged to cross a solid white line (or double white line) to maintain the minimum 1.5 metres, providing there is no oncoming traffic. Indicating before and after the manoeuvre is also obligatory, which also warns a following car.
* P.S.: Changes seem to be on the way: road.cc/content/news/246598-department-transport-r...w *

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - craig-pd130

Please note that I am NOT a legal expert, this is purely my 10p worth.

If you refuse the course and refuse the fine and points, you can have your day in court. This will mean you retaining a lawyer who will request a copy of the footage and advise you accordingly. If you win, you'll escape the fine and points but you will may still have to pay your lawyer's costs (I am not sure if you winning the case will mean you get your costs paid).

If you lose, you'll get the points and a fine and have to pay ALL the costs for both your lawyer and the prosecution. Remember that the Police processes for the use of dash/helmetcam footage treat these cases as if an officer had actually witnessed the incident. As you've been issued with a NIP, the Police have already decided that the footage shows you driving without due care. So you've got to overturn that decision.

Have a read here to understand the process: it makes several mentions of cycle-related incidents. www.cheshire.police.uk/advice-and-support/roads-an.../

In comparison to the potential costs of losing, the inconvenience of the 4-hour awareness course and the £80 cost will be small and cheap. It's your choice.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - nick62
Have a read here to understand the process: it makes several mentions of cycle-related incidents. www.cheshire.police.uk/advice-and-support/roads-an.../

That URL should be titled "how to become a special constable without the uniform"...........

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Palcouk

A minor point, an Officer viewed the footage and decided you had commited an Offence, in their opinion.

You have then being given the option to attend a course or be summonsed for the Offence of driving wthout due care.

Unless you opt for court, pleading not guilty, you are not going to see the evidence. And if you go to court and are found guilty the consequenses will be greater than taking the course.

You might want to do an internet search to see whether the vidio has been uploaded to some site for the date it occured

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - bazza

Slippery slope these dash cams although I have wished for one on occasion! My advice to is as above, your chances of winning the case against a police officers verification of an offence are very small and you run the risk of large costs as well. Also the cyclist obviously felt uncomfortable with the pass too, enough to warrant delving into the video. I'm afraid this is our modern world and I'd take the course as the easiest option.

you can request the evidence as I have done so, but it was not without obstacles being put in my way.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Manatee

Just take the awareness course. Then you'll know how far away from cyclists you need to be.

It's unbelievable how many drivers seem to expect to pass a cyclist in the face of oncoming traffic almost without deviating from their course, as if the cycle and its rider can manage with the normal space between car and kerb. And that they can also do this at 50 or 60mph in some cases. It's terrifying.

A number of police forces are now actively dealing with drivers who pass too close to cyclists so expect more cases.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Brit_in_Germany

This refers to a new law.

www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1000728/driving-...g

This refers to a new law.

www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1000728/driving-...g

I've been assured by this very website these are still only proposals at this stage, but thanks.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Metropolis.
I can’t help but you have my sympathies, a lot of cyclists are very militant and behave like they own the road. Particularly annoying are those that cycle side by side instead of single file. Often these types are not even commuting but actually cycling for the sake of it, only to return to where they started from! They aren’t even going anywhere but feel the need to block the road. You didn’t hit them, presumably they didn’t fall off, they must be of a very fragile disposition to go to the effort of reporting. We have enough cctv in this country without busybodies in spandex roaming the streets like some kind of high-vis robocop tribute act.
Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - badbusdriver
I can’t help but you have my sympathies, a lot of cyclists are very militant and behave like they own the road. Particularly annoying are those that cycle side by side instead of single file. Often these types are not even commuting but actually cycling for the sake of it, only to return to where they started from! They aren’t even going anywhere but feel the need to block the road. You didn’t hit them, presumably they didn’t fall off, they must be of a very fragile disposition to go to the effort of reporting. We have enough cctv in this country without busybodies in spandex roaming the streets like some kind of high-vis robocop tribute act.

Unless you were there and saw what happened you can't really make that kind of assumptions. The OP said 'a cyclist', so not 2 abreast blocking the road. The OP's description of the event says that the road was straight and it was dry (not sure why that would make any difference), but what was conspicuous by its absence was any claim that the OP actually did leave plenty of room for the cyclist. If a car passes another car too close and clips it, the worst that will happen is slight damage to the mirror, but if a car clips a cyclist they could end up seriously injured. Also, the OP claims to have looked high and low to find out how much space they need to give a cyclist, but not in the highway code?.

The footage was viewed by the Police and judged to be too close. Take the punishment learn from the course.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - carl233
Only you know how close you passed. If it were me and I was sure I would retain legal advice and challenge. Opinion of PC plod is not everything.

Unless you were there and saw what happened you can't really make that kind of assumptions. The OP said 'a cyclist', so not 2 abreast blocking the road. The OP's description of the event says that the road was straight and it was dry (not sure why that would make any difference), but what was conspicuous by its absence was any claim that the OP actually did leave plenty of room for the cyclist. If a car passes another car too close and clips it, the worst that will happen is slight damage to the mirror, but if a car clips a cyclist they could end up seriously injured. Also, the OP claims to have looked high and low to find out how much space they need to give a cyclist, but not in the highway code?.

The footage was viewed by the Police and judged to be too close. Take the punishment learn from the course.

I'd be happy to take the punishment if I had broken a law, but so far at least , no one has been able to specifically say how close is too close to be guilty of committing any offence, I consider I wasn't close at all, the person who viewed the footage decided I was, I'm simply trying to establish what "in law" is too close, so that I can either concede I was, or not as the case may be

I'm reminded of a road in Shrewsbury the markings of the cycle lane are such that every motorist will be on first name terms with the cyclists that use it, but more crucially it is impossible for two way traffic to pass each other, whilst at the same time keeping hardly any distance away from the cyclists, every motorist using that road would end up being charged on the same basis that I have, however I digress

As for the highway code there is only a recommendation, it is NOT a statement of the law as far as I'm aware, where as for example we all know a 30 mph limit is exactly that, on the other hand being too close is not clearly defined as far as I'm concerned there needs to be clarity, especially now with the proliferation of video technology

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - gordonbennet

Only you know what your driving is like, none of us can know how close you pass by cyclists.

If you believe you have not committed this offence then fight it, i would, but then i know how i behave around cyclicts, probably to the annoyance of others at the wheel of cars, especially when i am in a lorry, no safe pass i'll stay behind a cyclist for 20 minutes if necessary and there will be enough room for them to fall off and still be safe.

The state and its enforcers are not omnipotent, though increasingly they behave this way, and we are being cajoled (and other posters here have accepted surrender) to pay the demand say sorry attend the indoctrination class and presumably emerge a better citizen.

As is said, if you swoop past cyclists barely altering your speed or direction to accommodate, and only you know if this is likely to have been the case, then accept the officer's judgement and try to modify your driving.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Sofa Spud

As a driver and a cyclist I always believe cyclists have as much right on the road as anyone else, and deserve as much respect and care. Yes, there are bad cyclsist, but for every bad cyclist there's a bad car driver (and two or more bad motorcyclists).

I assume this is satire?

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - drd63

I fear not. But this does highlight the issue with the public giving the police dash cam footage, there are many people on this forum who are in favour of handing in and using evidence of what they consider to be poor driving but might not feel the same if it is used against them. Be careful what you wish for.

As for cyclists riding 2 abreast this is defensive, it forces those many drivers who overtake single file riders when there isoncomingtraffic to wait for space to do it properly. As a driver you then only need space to pass 1 rider rather than 2. You find most riders single out on narrow country lanes. Most of us drive too.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - KB.

Don't think this post is to be taken entirely seriously. A bit tongue in cheek methinks.

Taking the points as they come: Apart from the OP none of us were there so can't definitively know what happened but if the rider was left enough room, wasn't bullied or harassed and is simply trying his luck, for whatever reason, then yes, sympathy for the driver is warranted.

If the driver was actually a fag paper away from the rider's elbow then, of course, it was dangerous - but we didn't see it, did we?

I too think some cyclists are a bit "militant" (to use the OP's word) - but, having cycled the lanes of Essex for a number of years, I can say for sure that some drivers are frighteningly inconsiderate and some deliberately and, occasionally, violently threatening.

Side by side was common for us down quiet country lanes but we religiously "singled up" when something approached or a blind bend was encountered, and we always aided a driver to pass safely on a narrow lane wherever possible if visibility was bad or there were hazards around. But admittedly not all do.

Which brings us to the bit where I think Metropolis isn't serious. The username Metropolis might suggest someone who hasn't cycled in the great outdoors and along deserted country lanes ... or possibly not walked the footpaths and bridleways of our green and pleasant land either ... so I'll explain that there is such a thing as "going out for a bike ride" or "going for a walk". This involves setting out on a cycle or on foot with the express intention of enjoying the surroundings and getting some fresh air and a bit of exercise - and maybe (as it often was in our case) stopping at a cafe or a pub for lunch and a drink.

There was indeed no specific duty or task to fulfil other than to follow a particular, leisure based pastime - no commuting was undertaken at all - it was a spot of cycling or walking .... just for the sake of it!

It's not as though we weren't going anywhere though coz we went somewhere, that is to say we went out, and we came back - and, generally speaking, quite enjoyed it and, on the whole, did so without "blocking the road" for any great length of time.

The final paragraph may well be right ... the cyclist wasn't hit. We don't know the extent of his fragile disposition, and whether we have enough CCTV in the country is debatable but, probably not specifically in this context. The description "busybodies in spandex roaming the streets like some kind of high-vis robocop tribute act" is quite amusing though, I liked that - top marks for that one :-).

Edited by KB. on 08/10/2018 at 23:40

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Andrew-T
I can’t help but you have my sympathies, a lot of cyclists are very militant and behave like they own the road.

And car drivers don't ? I was a cyclist in my youth, so I have some sympathy both ways. My own opinion is that any road user should occupy the minimum space, plus a comfort zone which has been suggested above as 1 metre, which should be enough for cyclists who can ride a straight course.

I have less sympathy with motorbikers who claim everything from the kerb to the centre line 'for safety reasons' - and they are often the ones who take the daftest risks.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Bromptonaut

As my username here suggests I am a cyclist. In addition to the eponymous commuter stuff I also ride MTB and touring bike around rural Northamptonshire and other parts of UK.

Close passes, less than a metre, are endemic.

If you assert searching 'high and low' didn't take you pretty quickly to (a) Highway Code and (b) close passing campaigns from Cycling UK and other representative bodies then I doubt you tried that hard.

Police are notoriously reluctant to act on basis of cycle cam footage which further persuades me your offending was egregious.

Take the course and think yourself lucky.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 08/10/2018 at 23:58

Thanks everyone for their input so far, although I strongly resent the above post stating " my offending" I am trying to establish if I have offended,.

I am being prosecuted purely on the basis that I passed too close, to be prosecuted for ANY offence there has to be a law which one has broken, I'm not talking about highway code recommendations , that is what they are, a recommendation, everyone knows for example to be charged with breaking the speed limit, or having bald tyres, or the myriad of other things are well defined in law, and quite right to be prosecuted, but my question is what in law is considered too close, a foot, a yard,3 foot, etc, with no defined measurement of the actual minimum amount of space how can you face a charge, of driving without due care and attention based on being of "too close"

I should add that I considered my pass wasn't too close at all, I'm not in any rush to find a cyclist or anyone else under my front wheels, the fact remains I cannot find ANY reference in law as what constitutes "too close" so if there is no law, "law" being the operative word here, how can an offence be committed is simply all I am trying to establish

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Simon

If you are confident that you have done nothing wrong then I'd take it all the way to court. Presumably the cyclist will have to attend to give evidence, then we'll see how much of a big man he is once his identity is revealed to all and he hasn't got his go-pro to hide behind...

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - RT

"Driving without due care and attention for other road users" is the likely charge - it's then up to the court to decide.

Personally, I'd take the awareness course and learn from it - none of us drive perfectly.

The irony of this is there was a campaign to get a dedicated cycle track constructed following a local man being run down and killed, and yet the cyclists routinely ignore the facility.

I am not anti cyclist, but for the life of me I cannot understand why they don't use it, even though it is their prerogative not to, the fact remains that so far at least no one on here has been able to answer one simple question, at what distance passing a cyclist constitutes an offence, thanks

Edited by ekka on 09/10/2018 at 09:29

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Chris M

There's no "law" on what is a safe following distance or a safe speed to go round a bend. It's down to what is appropriate for the speed, weather, road conditions etc. A sort of reasonable test. Passing a cyclist is the same imo. What might be OK at 20mph would be downright dangerous at 70mph.

1 metre is an absolute minimum at low speed, but on a dual carriageway, I'd change lane.

Edited by Chris M on 09/10/2018 at 09:42

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Cris_on_the_gas

The highway code states that when passing a cyclist you should give it as much room as you would when passing a car. This is my view is rather inadequate. What is actually means is that you actually draw an outline of a car around the cyclist and pass accordingly.

The laws in Europe are much better, generally in build up areas at least 1m clearance, outside of this 1.5m.

I am a regular a cyclist, motorcyclist and car driver who has got advanced driving and riding qualifications.(RoSPA Gold & IAM National Observer) The number of times I have been almost brushed by 2 tons of metal travelling at 30 mph when cycling is to many to count. It is a most unpleasant experience. How would the OP like it if suddenly a 2 tone brick was to pass inches past him at high speed, any slight deviation meaning instant death. The sudden noise and something large appearing in your immediate vision is terrifying and there is nothing you can do

Saying that my experience is that most motorists are careful and considerate when they pass me on my bicycle. I do not ride like a road warrior and mainly use my bike to get the 4 miles to work and back. I will use cycle lanes where they are provided and footpaths when posted as dual use to ease traffic flow. Living in Cambridge which is one of the most popular Cities to cycle in does help. Most of the time I can cover the 4 miles quicker on a bike than in a car

I think the OP should take the awareness course and become a better driver because of it. Also the HC needs to be updated to give much clearer advice.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - FP

"... the fact remains that so far at least no one on here has been able to answer one simple question, at what distance passing a cyclist constitutes an offence..."

Presumably there is no distance specified in law. The Highway Code says that drivers should “give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car.” (Note: "at least".)

Apparently there is a move to introduce the specification of 1.5 metres, after a trial in Cambridgeshire.

I don't think anyone can really comment on the OP, as we don't have the video available and even if we did, unless his driving was egregious, we would have a range of views on whether it was acceptable.

Despite the fact that he feels aggrieved by the perceived unfairness of what has happened, in purely practical terms the advice must be to suck it up and move on; the alternative - to contest the charge - is likely to prove very expensive and may not achieve anything.

There is no perceived unfairness, it is unfair on so many levels, we now have a situation where one group of readily identifiable road users through a system of registration who have undergone a driving test, have their vehicles checked for road worthiness, are insured, but can now routinely have footage welcomed by the police, ( mind you it saves them the trouble of actually patrolling our roads of course ) by another set of road users who remain anonymous to other road users and do pretty much what they like, if people do not agree that is completely inequitable I don't know what is.

"There is no perceived unfairness, it is unfair on so many levels..."

That is your view - it is not an accepted or provable one. Therefore it is "perceived".

And leading off into a rant about cyclists does you absolutely no favours. I did have some sympathy for your position; now I'm not so sure.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - retgwte

correct

the militant cyclists do the general cycling public no favours

and for what its worth the car drivers who leave the least room for cyclists, in my experience, are themselves members of the cycling community

The irony of this is there was a campaign to get a dedicated cycle track constructed following a local man being run down and killed, and yet the cyclists routinely ignore the facility.

I am not anti cyclist, but for the life of me I cannot understand why they don't use it, even though it is their prerogative not to, the fact remains that so far at least no one on here has been able to answer one simple question, at what distance passing a cyclist constitutes an offence, thanks

You are prospectively being prosecuted for driving without due care and attention, for which the maximum penalty is a fine of up to £2,500 and 9 points. Clearly "due care" covers a wide range of seriousness right up to "very". I doubt very much if insurers treat it as lightly as an SP30 or two.

If you have been offered an awareness course instead, it suggests to me that your alleged offence has already been judged to be at the lower end of the seriousness scale.

You would have to be a complete idiot not to take it, whether or not you believe you are 'guilty'. Those telling you to fight it are not concerned with your best interests. Not only will you avoid the time and expense of a court appearance, you will receive no fine, points, conviction or consequent insurance penalties and you will end up knowing a lot more than you apparently know now about passing cyclists.

To answer your question, there is no statutory distance for passing clearance as far as I know. If you base your defence on that alone then you will fail. Some forces educate on 1.5m. which I am certain you will have found with the most cursory Google search. Evidence will be a matter of judgement (opinion). Many cases have been brought solely on the verbal evidence of a police officer. In this case there is video, presumably that will be adduced and then the court can form its own opinion. Speed will be relevant - if you passed at 30+then I'm sorry, a couple of feet would not have been enough (in my judgement).

"I missed him so I am not guilty" or "Ha ha, there is no minimum distance in law, so you can't convict me!" will not work.

one simple question, at what distance passing a cyclist constitutes an offence, thanks

As others have said there is no distance set out in statute. There may be decided cases on the subject but I've not got time to research that.

To prove the offence the prosecution would to show your driving fell below that of a careful and competent driver. It might be thought that a careful and competent driver would know and heed the Highway Code recommendation to give cyclists as much room as a car.

To put it bluntly no amount of huffing and puffing over cyclists ignoring lanes, being unregistered or uninsured etc etc is going to help you. I appreciate it feels unfair, I thought the same when I got a summons for passing a red light in Leicester. In a car before you think anything else!!

Bottom line is you have two choices. First is to take the course, learn from it (because you will) and absorb the cost; no points though some insurers will take it into account. Secondly you can defend it in court. If you're found guilty you'll get a fine considerably more than the cost of course and points that WILL affect your insurance and possibly ability to hire vehicles, use courtesy cars or drive on duty at work.

Your call.

I should add that I considered my pass wasn't too close at all, I'm not in any rush to find a cyclist or anyone else under my front wheels,

Perhaps the perceived 'offence' was that you were thought to have cut in a bit early, despite giving plenty of space while overtaking ?

NO I didn't cut in at all,

I'd add that it is unfair on so many levels, we now have a situation where one group of readily identifiable road users through a system of registration who have undergone a driving test, hold a driving license, have their vehicles checked for road worthiness, are insured, but can now routinely have footage welcomed by the police, ( mind you it saves them the trouble of actually patrolling our roads of course ) by another set of road users who remain anonymous to other road users and do pretty much what they like, if people do not agree that is completely inequitable I don't know what is.

NO I didn't cut in at all,

I'd add that it is unfair on so many levels, we now have a situation where one group of readily identifiable road users through a system of registration who have undergone a driving test, hold a driving license, have their vehicles checked for road worthiness, are insured, but can now routinely have footage welcomed by the police, ( mind you it saves them the trouble of actually patrolling our roads of course ) by another set of road users who remain anonymous to other road users and do pretty much what they like, if people do not agree that is completely inequitable I don't know what is.

I suppose unqualified and unlicensed pedestrians should be ignored too.

Cyclists do not generally "do what they want" they are far too vulnerable for that and they know it.

You are on a loser here - the presumption if there is one will always go in favour of the vulnerable road user. If there is any relevance to the motorist being trained, tested and licensed then it is that we are expected to take proper care around those vulnerable road users.

I'm beginning to hope you do go to court, perhaps it is the only thing that will bring you to your senses. Do the course if you haven't left it too late.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - tourantass
I was driving along Woodhead pass over the weekend, there was a tailback of aprox one mile behing a gang of cyclist who were riding two abreast and in my opinion are asking to be wiped out on one of the many bends... tractors are required to pull over if they create a queu of traffic behind, oh and just to add to the fun most were dressed in Death Wish Black.... Not an ideal colour choice.
Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Leif

Firstly, in my view it would be unfair to give you points etc without allowing you to see the evidence. I presume you can request to see the evidence before deciding on the course of action? I think you say you have done so, presumably prior to deciding how to respond.

Secondly I have no idea whether or not your driving was safe. However, in my experience many if not most drivers are dangerous when overtaking cyclists. I live on a hill, four miles from the town, with a dual carriageway between the two. I once cycled to and from town. Never again. Cars and lorries were passing me at 60+ mph, and sometimes only a foot away. It was terrifying. In my view one meter is the minimum required, more is better. There are two reasons. Firstly cyclists can and do wobble, when for example hitting a hole in the road. I believe there was a case some years back when it was decided by a judge that cars needed to allow room for a cyclist to wobble. Secondly vehicles create air turbulence which can throw a cyclist off balance. Being overtaken by large lorries is extremely unpleasant.

I agree with nearly all the advice above. Except when allowing for a sense of personal pride, it is a no-brainer to go on the course - it's a painless and almost cost-free option. There's usually little point in going to law except for an open-and-shut case. However unfair you may see this, you should take a deep breath and swallow some pride.

From a slightly different angle, I am slightly worried that there may be cyclists around who exploit head-cams to make life unpleasant for motorists, whenever they feel slightly aggrieved, in the knowledge that they should get the benefit of any doubt.

I guess you are right, it seems that previously being a holder of a class one license, PSV license and 53 years of driving without a single incident doesn't demonstrate anything, perhaps in all those millions of miles covered both here and in Europe when I was on the trucks I just got lucky, I'll take the course, end of. Thanks for all the contributions even the ones that didn't seem to support my standpoint.

I guess you are right, it seems that previously being a holder of a class one license, PSV license and 53 years of driving without a single incident doesn't demonstrate anything, perhaps in all those millions of miles covered both here and in Europe when I was on the trucks I just got lucky, I'll take the course, end of. Thanks for all the contributions even the ones that didn't seem to support my standpoint.

You really need to approach the course with an open mind. Bloke on my 'driver improvement' course, who'd been through same red light as me, was in danger of being asked to leave because he constantly carped about unfairness, clean licence for 50 year etc.......

Thanks but I don't think I'll be taking any lessons from someone who obviously knew he was breaking the law, there is nothing ambiguous about ignoring a red light pal.

Edited by ekka on 09/10/2018 at 14:11

Thanks but I don't think I'll be taking any lessons from someone who obviously knew he was breaking the law, there is nothing ambiguous about ignoring a red light pal.

I'm not getting into a personal spat but will set the facts straight.

I didn't know I'd shot a red until the NIP arrived; didn't even recall being an 'amber gambler'. It was on a large giratory system near Fosse Park shopping centre in Leicester. En route from home in Northampton to visit my Mother so a journey I did regularly. I even knew there was a camera and that my sister, who loves nearby, had told me on another occasion that it 'catches them like flies'.

Looking back I could only think I'd checked the light was green and turned my focus to next set of lights around the system and being in right lane for my exit. It must have gone amber a nano-second later and red just before I crossed the line. My then 19yo son was in passenger seat and he didn't say anything either - he would if he saw me about to run a red. We had to look at time/location carefully as he'd driven home so who's penalty was it? needed to be answered.

Failure to properly observe? Clearly

Deliberate flouting of a signal? No

Edited by Bromptonaut on 09/10/2018 at 15:17

...and if you get booted off the course, the prosecution or fixed penalty process restarts where it left off.

One person was sent home from my speed awareness course for turning up late by about 10 minutes.

The course itself was very good.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Meteiro

My gut feel reading this was agreement that it may be a harsh outcome (and without seeing the evidence it might be!) but it did make me think about how much room I leave cyclists. I always try to be careful but do I leave over a metre? Maybe I could be a bit more careful and leave a bit more room myself, I'll make more conscious effort at least so the thread has achieved that for me and probably a few other people too. Is it fair that cyclists don't have the same stipulations? No! But as has been pointed out that doesn't reduce the danger to them or the care motor vehicle drivers need to take to navigate past them.

Feel for your situation, and agree with others that fair or not your best bet is to take the course.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Hugh Watt

From a slightly different angle, I am slightly worried that there may be cyclists around who exploit head-cams to make life unpleasant for motorists, whenever they feel slightly aggrieved, in the knowledge that they should get the benefit of any doubt.

That's my view too. And it seems that essentially that's what's got the OP's back up.

There are people out there who carry miniature cameras and exploit the output. Some are justified. Others, and we have an example on this forum, think they're showing others' bad driving while actually exposing their own.

I'm not clear why head-cams are any more of an issue than dashcams.

<< I'm not clear why head-cams are any more of an issue than dashcams. >>

I didn't think they were - I certainly wasn't making them one. It's just that a rider can't really use a dashcam. But riders do have the advantage of aiming them anywhere at a whim.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - barney100

Take the course, least stress involved, going to court is a chancy thing. You didn't harm the cyclist so I think it's a bit mean of him/her to report you.

Take the course, least stress involved, going to court is a chancy thing. You didn't harm the cyclist so I think it's a bit mean of him/her to report you.

Not physically hurt but perhaps had the bejaysus frightened out of him?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 09/10/2018 at 16:15

We'll never see the footage so nothing to go on really.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - sammy1

How can the accuser ie the cyclist remain anonymous in all this. How can his camera be seen as gospel evidence. At the very least the driver should be invited to review the footage. There also seems to be a question of speed to be taken into consideration in a passing manoeuvre. 10 mph being a lot different to 30+ so how can a bike camera accurately pick this up. I find it difficult to believe that you can be prosecuted with this other than a policeman being a witness. If this is the case it is a sad case of affairs that this country has come to. I wonder how much time and effort went into this.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - galileo

How can the accuser ie the cyclist remain anonymous in all this. How can his camera be seen as gospel evidence. At the very least the driver should be invited to review the footage. There also seems to be a question of speed to be taken into consideration in a passing manoeuvre. 10 mph being a lot different to 30+ so how can a bike camera accurately pick this up. I find it difficult to believe that you can be prosecuted with this other than a policeman being a witness. If this is the case it is a sad case of affairs that this country has come to. I wonder how much time and effort went into this.

As per "Dispatches" last night, most UK police forces are, as a matter of policy, "screening out" many offences, including theft, vandalism, shoplifting and even violent and sexual offences.

This is to allow them to investigate 40 year old allegations, use of politically incorrect language and the low-hanging fruit of speeding and motorists upsetting cyclists.

How can the accuser ie the cyclist remain anonymous in all this. How can his camera be seen as gospel evidence.

The case pursued in court will be R v Ekka; the accuser is the Crown not the cyclist who reported the incident. The Crown's evidence is the video. If they want to call the cyclist they can and Ekka can cross examine.

If the prosecution don't call the cyclist the presumably Ekka or his lawyer can apply to the court for him to attend.

If the police are making it difficult to Ekka to review the video before he decides whether to defend or take a course I think that is reprehensible game playing by the police or prosecution.

How can the accuser ie the cyclist remain anonymous in all this. How can his camera be seen as gospel evidence.

Surely video is about the best evidence available unless the question arises as to whether it has been faked?

It should certainly be more reliable than eyewitness testimony which is notoriously unreliable even when people are trying to be truthful.

A few years ago we fitted a dash camera to my wife's car. She crashed into the back of another car at a roundabout. Her firm and honest recollection (she knew that we had video) was that the other car had set off, then stopped again (the classic roundabout accident).

When we reviewed the video, the car had never set off (although the roundabout was clear). The third party had simply stopped and waited, and my wife had run into him at 10mph while looking right.

Well a development today, despite the Police refusing point blank to make the footage available to me initially I tried again yesterday to request the footage as I found that anyone uploading such footage from their web portal agrees that "any interested third party is able to request sight of the video", well quoting those terms and conditions a reply was forthcoming within about 20 minutes, and although they said it was "difficult" to supply the video footage, they attached some still images, a great pity that I cannot show them here, but it doesn't sit well that both through an online "chat" and a direct telephone call was told the only way I could see the footage was if I elected to go to court, which now appears plainly wrong.

Edited by ekka on 09/10/2018 at 19:52

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - galileo

A further change in how the police now behave is the example of the senior officer who, seeing the constable being stabbed at Westminster, locked his car doors and drove away "to co-ordinate actions".

Many old time policemen must be turning in their graves.

I know we all react differently in situations like that and we can't know until it happens, but he is one of the most senior officers in the Met, unless he got there by sitting at a desk for the past 40 odd years, he ought to know better. Whatever happened to 'British officers don't duck' ! www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrauBQf7FpI

My comments earlier were slightly tongue in cheek as I am aware that not all cyclists are road warriors doing 'training' and do actually go on a commute.or to the pub, as I have done before. But the ones in helmets with dashcams, high-vis jackets and spandex, well they're a breed unto themselves.

I'm not a city slicker, my username is actually derived from a limited edition Land Rover trim level :)

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - gordonbennet

Many old time policemen must be turning in their graves.

They join several million good men and women , often still children themselves, who must lay restless, who died in awful ways long before their time defending these isles and the lands of our allies and hard won freedoms, sent there too often by those who were unfit to even stand in the same room as they.

Indeed, 2 world wars, almost 1,000 years of independence and we opt to be taken over by treaty, people at the top (of late) have a lot to answer for.
.... almost 1,000 years of independence and we opt to be taken over by treaty, people at the top (of late) have a lot to answer for.

1000 years of independence? England was taken over 950 years ago by a band of northern French, who reorganised the nation and set themselves up as a ruling upper class. Their descendants are still there, having become assimilated. The serfs and villeins now call themselves the working class.

"England was taken over 950 years ago by a band of northern French..."

To be pedantic, they were really a band of Vikings who had carved out a kingdom (or dukedom) in northern France and had (strangely, for conquerors) adopted the French language and customs, having intermarried with the locals.

The word (and name) "Norman" derives from the Old French "Normant", meaning north-man, i.e. Viking.

Sorry - this is absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

Edited by FP on 11/10/2018 at 09:20

To be pedantic, they were really a band of Vikings who had carved out a kingdom (or dukedom) in northern France and had (strangely, for conquerors) adopted the French language and customs, having intermarried with the locals.

The word (and name) "Norman" derives from the Old French "Normant", meaning north-man, i.e. Viking.

Yes, I'm aware of the origins of the Normans. I chose to call them French - which by then they had chosen to become - just as we morphed from Angles into English. I don't know whether the Normans still saw themselves as Vikings when they invaded England?

A further change in how the police now behave is the example of the senior officer who, seeing the constable being stabbed at Westminster, locked his car doors and drove away "to co-ordinate actions".

I now regard the police in much the same way as the judiciary - I just hope that I won't need to use them. They simply don't bother with low-level offences beyond giving them a crime number. Luckily I don't live in a crime-ridden area.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - johncyprus
Not so in London, one of our cars was one of many hit by a failing to stop driver who decamped from the scene. The Police were fantastic. Maybe Lions led by donkeys but the two coppers were very professional.
Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - focussed

Well a development today, despite the Police refusing point blank to make the footage available to me initially I tried again yesterday to request the footage as I found that anyone uploading such footage from their web portal agrees that "any interested third party is able to request sight of the video", well quoting those terms and conditions a reply was forthcoming within about 20 minutes, and although they said it was "difficult" to supply the video footage, they attached some still images, a great pity that I cannot show them here, but it doesn't sit well that both through an online "chat" and a direct telephone call was told the only way I could see the footage was if I elected to go to court, which now appears plainly wrong.

The legal position.

It's a rule of law that any party (including the police) who wishes to rely on evidence at a Court hearing must disclose the content of that evidence, whether written statement, photographic evidence or other, to their opponent. In the case of evidence to be relied upon in respect of alleged breaches of the Road Traffic Offenders Act or Road Traffic Act such evidence must be disclosed not less than 7 days before the date of hearing. Any evidence not disclosed within this time period can't be relied upon at Court, and where the prosecution seek an adjournment of a hearing in order to serve their evidence they must seek the permission of the Court (not always given) and bear the costs of any such adjournment. Note though that in the event that the defendant pleads guilty to the offence as charged the police are under no obligation to disclose any evidence they may have - it's only if the defendant wishes to plead not guilty and a Court Hearing date is listed that the evidence must be disclosed in accordance with the rules.

Thanks for that information, the "evidence" has been given to the police by a private citizen who in doing so had to accept the terms and conditions that clearly state that they consent to ANY third party who has an interest can request to view the media including any written statement. The police were initially adamant they were under no obligation to let me see this footage unless as you say you take the option to go to court, this is clearly wrong.

Having made the request via email to the sergeant who is dealing with this,quoting their own terms and conditions back to them, as I said they have furnished me with four still images, but said it was "difficult" to provide the video, I'm assuming due to the limitations of email attachment sizes perhaps, but no explanation was given, and the email ended by stating they were not prepared to engage in debate any further, there wasn't much debate,it was just one single email request for this footage, following two previous abortive attempts to request this footage in one telephone call, and one "webchat" that as I said was refused.

Having now studied these still images taken from the video it is quite obvious they were taken on a device with a fish eye lens camera with a subsequent very wide angle of view, this has the effect of substantially distorting the view, it really isn't a true representation of my actual proximity to the bicycle, this should be of concern to anyone facing an accusation where position is vital in proving fault.

Should I fight it in court, or pay the hush money is still the question I'm debating.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Simon

Take it to court!!!

Whether you were driving without due care or not, good luck getting the police to play by the rules if the rules don't suit them, (regarding the freedom to see the full evidence).

History would suggest you'll struggle if they choose to be awkward.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - drbe

Give cyclists more room when passing in future.

If it were up to me, I think I would take the course.

If you have a few minutes to spare, do have a look at this, you'll need to listen to the audio, with apparently Information courtesy of Sergeant Didsbury of South Yorkshire Police

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYQUwjwAres

I would add that my pass was far wider, and at substantially lower speed, the clip illustrates in my opinion careless driving, but it goes to show that different police viewing this type of footage are merely giving an opinion as to an offense being committed. The bloke was obviously a d********, I'll leave it to you who that was ! !

Edited by ekka on 10/10/2018 at 10:40

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Cris_on_the_gas

If you have a few minutes to spare, do have a look at this, you'll need to listen to the audio, with apparently Information courtesy of Sergeant Didsbury of South Yorkshire Police

I would add that my pass was far wider, and at substantially lower speed, the clip illustrates in my opinion careless driving, but it goes to show that different police viewing this type of footage are merely giving an opinion as to an offense being committed. The bloke was obviously a d********, I'll leave it to you who that was ! !

If that was you in the silver pickup then you need to learn. You have been offered education I would take it. Do you really want to cause death by careless driving ?

Read the post

If that was you in the silver pickup then you need to learn. You have been offered education I would take it. Do you really want to cause death by careless driving ?

I certainly was not the guy in the silver pickup as I made plain in my post if you care to read it again.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Cyd

So here's the thing, I overtook a cyclist on a perfectly straight road, clear and dry road conditions, there was no contact or injury of any kind, a

I have searched high and low for any mention of a specific distance that you need to pass a cyclist,

it certainly goes against the grain to feel you have not committed an actual offence, what do folk out there think.

If you didn't cross the lane demarkation lines with all four wheels, then you were too close.

Simples!

It's a shame, but it seems people like you will only learn when they are hit where it hurts - in the wallet.

It's people like you that have forced cyclists to wear cams and submit the evidence in order to illicit a change in behaviour (which motorists seem unwilling to do voluntarily).

You lack of awareness of this issue seems to suggest you've been living under a rock for the last decade or so!!

It's a shame, but it seems people like you will only learn when they are hit where it hurts - in the wallet.

It's people like you that have forced cyclists to wear cams and submit the evidence in order to illicit a change in behaviour (which motorists seem unwilling to do voluntarily).

You lack of awareness of this issue seems to suggest you've been living under a rock for the last decade or so!!

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, the link to the youtube footage was certainly not me, I have no hesitation in calling that driver an idiot.

the link to the video was merely intended to show the discrepancy between one Police officers view of what was careless driving as displayed on the video, and the situation I find myself in, whereas I left what I thought was plenty of room and actually passed the cyclist at I would guess half the speed of that lunatic because the officer that viewed my footage would have formed a totally different view of the bloke in the youtube video, and vice versa, if the same officer heard on the youtube video viewed my footage, I wouldn't have heard a thing.

If the footage as you say is taken with a fisheye lens then angles and distances could well be distorted. The only lens that will give a view as the eye sees it is a 50mm prime lens.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Brit_in_Germany

If people are charged under "driving without due care" for eating a banana while stationary, the risk of a prosecution being upheld would be too high for me. It's not worth fighting the case to make a point of principle.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Avant

Absolutely, and I'm surprised that this thread has generated so many posts.

If you go to court, it'll be one person's word against another's, or even worse, one person's opinion against another's. Your chances of winning sound like 50/50 at best.

The course will do no harm, probably some good, and it can only be cheaper than the legal costs thay you might incur.

If the footage as you say is taken with a fisheye lens then angles and distances could well be distorted. The only lens that will give a view as the eye sees it is a 50mm prime lens.

That's as maybe but it does not make the image useless.

It is not what I would call a fisheye but certainly a wide angle lens (greater field of view than a "standard" lens which subjectively matches the FOV of the eye) so like a convex mirror it will make objects seem smaller and therefore more distant.

i.postimg.cc/PfBVN4Tx/Capture1010.jpg

Look at the above still from the video. Bear in mind it looks further away than it is but it looks pretty close anyway. Granted the pickup has moved left again (the rear view showed the offside wheels were over the white line, but at this point the pickup is already back in its lane).

If we know or estimate the width of the lane and/or the width of the vehicle we can do a fairly reasonable estimate of the space to the left of the pickup at this point. This should not be beyond the wit of the constabulary. There's no doubt however in my mind that this was a very close pass. Imagine a cyclist in the space between the mirror and the white line, and with his front wheel maybe a grate's width from the line. It's hard to image there was more than a couple of feet clearance when the pickup was alongside and that is scary at the speed it was doing.

For the PC to argue that he deviated so was not careless (i.e. he had seen the cyclist) is fatuous. If he saw the cyclist then he chose to make a close pass. Equally, the statement that the cyclist did not wobble or deviate is ridiculous - a less experienced one could well have.

Edited by Manatee on 10/10/2018 at 13:20

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - sammy1

Summonsed for almost committing a crime, where would we all be if people just accepted what was thrown at them. What about the bakers in NI who refused a commission for a cake and were taken to court. It has taken 4 years for the courts to come to a conclusion that they were within their rights, something which most people concluded at the outset. If you are self employed surely you have the right to refuse work at your discretion. The law on distance for passing appears discretionary at best and the cyclist seems to be of the Jeremy Vine lot, having an axe to grind. I hope someone takes this up and fights it, the question of speed passing distance and camera lens verification all seem relevant.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Leif

Summonsed for almost committing a crime, where would we all be if people just accepted what was thrown at them. What about the bakers in NI who refused a commission for a cake and were taken to court. It has taken 4 years for the courts to come to a conclusion that they were within their rights, something which most people concluded at the outset. If you are self employed surely you have the right to refuse work at your discretion.

It's far more complex than that. A builder could not refuse to build an extension for a black person on the basis of their colour. So in practice you do not have complete discretion as a trade or company.

The law on distance for passing appears discretionary at best and the cyclist seems to be of the Jeremy Vine lot, having an axe to grind. I hope someone takes this up and fights it, the question of speed passing distance and camera lens verification all seem relevant.

I can't see how Vine had an axe to grind. He was subjected to verbal abuse and threats, it's quite reasonable for him to make a complaint. However, he regrets that she went to jail, and in my view the confrontation deserved no more than a written caution. But this highlights the absurdity of the modern UK. It is possible it was taken seriously because of his high profile and media attention. I've had worse, and the police said "No crime committed". I had one year of victimisation by a small group of youths, and no criminal action was taken.

Regarding overtaking, I think it is quite obvious if someone drives too close.

<< A builder could not refuse to build an extension for a black person on the basis of their colour. So in practice you do not have complete discretion as a trade or company. >>

He wouldn't. He would claim he had too much work on, or offer an unacceptably high estimate. If a plaintiff objected to that, he would have to prove racial grounds. Probably harder than the traditional cases of refusing accommodation.

What about the bakers in NI who refused a commission for a cake and were taken to court. It has taken 4 years for the courts to come to a conclusion that they were within their rights, something which most people concluded at the outset.

It was bit more complicated than that. If they'd declined to make a cake for a same sex wedding iced with words Brian and Arthur then discrimination laws would have caught them.

What they were asked for was effectively a campaign cake. Anyone of any orientation can support gay marriage.

www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2017-0020-pres...f

Vauxhall Vectra C - Overtaking a cyclist, and receiving a summons - Smileyman

there was a case some time ago in which a farmer driving a tractor very slowly causing congestion to other road users was prosecuted (I think) for failing to make due progress. It's a difficult one and possibly does not apply to cyclists but the concept of a slower moving road user causing obstruction and undue delay to other road users, was there any delay or congestion behind the cyclist, did they fail to facilitate or make matters harder for other road users to overtake. Pity you don't have your own dash cam evidence to show too. Maybe just fishing on my part... shame this matter is being given so much attention when Police say their resources are so severely stretched.

CTC press release on their close passing campaign:

www.cyclinguk.org/press-release/campaign-win-too-c...s

I was close passed last night by a small car in the livery of a company that reads utility meters. Barely a foot in twilight and on an ill surfaced urban road. I was correctly lit.

No camera footage or I might have been tempted to report it to Police.

As it is I've e-mailed the company and await their response.