Peugeot 406 Sinking Brake Pedal - Canuck
A bit of advice please:

My 1996, 90,000 mile 406 ABS 1.9TD has developed a slowly sinking brake pedal. If you push on it hard, it very slowly sinks about halfway down over about 30 seconds.

I presume this is indicative of a faulty master cylinder. I've checked all over for leaks and can see none. I can turn my hand to most things and see a new master cylinder is about 65 quid.

Anyone done one of these on a 406 and is it very hard to do? I'm asking as I got burned last time when I dived into a cambelt change on the same motor without realising how involved it was to do.

Many thanks in advance.

Canuck

Peugeot 406 Sinking Brake Pedal - IanT
It could also be caused by a flexible brake hose ballooning under pressure.

Ian
Peugeot 406 Sinking Brake Pedal - king arthur
Do the brakes pull to one side at all?
No they don't. Everything seems OK. No fluid loss, no leaks visible.

Is hose ballooning a common problem?

Canuck
Peugeot 406 Sinking Brake Pedal - Richard Foster
I have the same fault on my 1997 Vectra. I had the brake fluid bled several times, then Vauxhall changed (under warranty) the front calipers & brake pads, master cylinder and then the servo unit!! Then said they had improved it as much as they could (but I think they gave up as they didn't know what else to do). They proved to me that it met the braking tests & assured me it isn't dangerous.
This cost Vauxhall a lot of money & as far as I can see they got nowhere - so beware before spending your time or money!
Peugeot 406 Sinking Brake Pedal - Robin the Technician
There are a few questions to be asked here: Has any work been done to the brakes recently? i.e service? If not when was the vehicle serviced last. Do you have rear drums or disc's. If drums, my first though would be to remove them and see if you have a wheel cylinder leak. At this age and mileage I would suspect the rubbers are well past their replacement date, along with the fluid being replaced.

These are the views of Robin the Technician. With 35 years in the trade, I fix, therefore I am....
Thanks for the helpful replies. It has drum brakes.

I replaced the rear brake shoes about 3000 miles ago. I had the drums off today and everything looked OK, no visible leaks on the wheel cylinders. I'm not losing fluid, the level in the master cylinder is up at the top.

Would changing the fluid help? It's probably time, being about 3 years since it was lastdone, but I'd obviously want to do any other work at the same time.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated so far.

Canuck
Peugeot 406 Sinking Brake Pedal - Mike M
Is the sinking pedal with the engine running or off? My wife's Polo does exactly the same with the engine off, but the brake pedal works fine when the engine is running.
Peugeot 406 Sinking Brake Pedal - Robin the Technician
If the cylinders are ok and you're not losing fluid, then there can't be much wrong with it. How does the pedal feel when the engine is running? is it ok? Pressing the pedal down when the engine has just been switched off will give the feeling of slowly going down as the servo expels its vacuum. Maybe you are reading too much into something thats not a problem.

These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am....
Peugeot 406 Sinking Brake Pedal - Tony.H
Hi, I've had the same fault on my 406 peugeot.
I put in another master cylinder because it felt like a master cylinder fault. (I only paid £10 for it from a salvage yard). It was cured by putting on a new servo. Lots available from salvage yard.
The master cylinder is simple to replace, just make sure you have the proper brake pipe spanner. The servo is more difficult to fit cos you need to remove the master cylinder first.
good luck Tony.H
Peugeot 406 Sinking Brake Pedal - David Lacey
I'll try and check some other 406 models at work - is yours Diesel? If so, what engine and year is the car?
Peugeot 406 Sinking Brake Pedal - David Lacey
...Just read the top.......doh!