Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0tdi 2010 - Rattling noise from engine area - Davejc

Hello all,

I have a Volkswagen tiguan 2.0tdi 4motion on a 2010 plate that has recently been causing me some concern. There is a rattling from the engine bay area that is there on occasions but not others. So if the vehicle hasn't been driven for several days on start up it makes a horrendous noise as if the engine is struggling to run, or atleast thst is how it sounds to me. I have taken it to my local mechanic who has suggested it is the flywheel starting to go. Now I get where he is coming from but I am not totally convinced this is the soul route of the problem. I previously had a zafira diesel where I ended up replacing the clutch and flywheel and it still persisted and ended up being to do with the egr/ dpf side of things, the rattling flywheel was as a result of a poorly running engine.

The car starts and sounds to me like the engine is running poorly. I have recorded this but I am unsure how to upload. So when the clutch is pressed in the noise does in fact go away.it does appear that when the clutch is not pressed in the load of the engine is causing the flywheel to shake. Now the odd thing is is if the car is then driven on a run the noise is no longer there when switching off and back on. The same later in day and the same for several days. If the car is left and not driven for longer periods then the noise will return of what appears to be a poorly running engine in my opinion. Now if it was the flywheel surely this would rattle the majority of the time and not act in the way that it is.im concerned that I am going o pay out for a flywheel and clutch kit only to find this is not the route cause of the problem.

I am considering getting the vehicle terracleaned and remapped blanking off the egr valve to prevent all the soot being recirculated and causing further issues. What are people's views on this being done. I'm thinking it is going to be a better option to start and will hopefully determine if it is running issues, ie egr valve sticking open etc.

Has anyone else had symptoms like these and if so what was done to rectify the issue.

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Dave

Edited by Davejc on 10/09/2018 at 18:50

Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0tdi 2010 - Rattling noise from engine area - elekie&a/c doctor

If you press the clutch and the noise goes away,then this is usually an indication of clutch dmf problems. Terraclean,re-map and egr blank off ? what for?