Hyundai ix20 - Day Running Lights Not Fitted in 2015? - csgmart

My sister in law has just bought herself a 2015 Hyundai ix20. I noticed there were no running lights on when she was following me home from the dealer she purchased it from. I had a quick look last night and couldn't find a fault or any reference to an ability to turn them off in the manual.

She spoke with the dealer this morning who said her car was not fitted with them. Now, I thought they were mandatory from 2011 and a quick Google search seems to confirm this.

From the DVLA website "Vehicle manufacturers must fit DRL to new types of passenger car and light goods vehicle (car derived vans) type approved to European vehicle requirements from February 20111 . In practice this means that any new model launched after this date, and many launched before, will be fitted with DRL. However, existing models on sale before this date without DRL fitted can continue to be sold and used indefinitely."

Does her car not have them because it was a model first sold before Feb 2011 or am I missing something?

Hyundai ix20 - Day Running Lights Not Fitted in 2015? - skidpan

Surely its obvious from the DVLA site you quote.

However, existing models on sale before this date without DRL fitted can continue to be sold and used indefinitely

Clearly the IX20 is excempt for that reason.

Hyundai ix20 - Day Running Lights Not Fitted in 2015? - badbusdriver

The ix20 was first sold in 2010 (in the UK), so, in theory, it would be exempt for the reasons mentioned. However it does seem odd that a 2015 version wouldn't have them fitted, given how easy it would be to squeeze them in somewhere?, our 2014 i30 certainly had them.

You can buy aftermarket ones if it is a big deal, i don't think they are too expensive, and any auto electrician would be able to fit them if you didn't fancy tackling the job yourself.

Hyundai ix20 - Day Running Lights Not Fitted in 2015? - galileo

The ix20 was first sold in 2010 (in the UK), so, in theory, it would be exempt for the reasons mentioned. However it does seem odd that a 2015 version wouldn't have them fitted, given how easy it would be to squeeze them in somewhere?, our 2014 i30 certainly had them.

You can buy aftermarket ones if it is a big deal, i don't think they are too expensive, and any auto electrician would be able to fit them if you didn't fancy tackling the job yourself.

Almost every time I drive at dusk I see cars with DRL's on at the front and NO lights at the back.

How difficult is it for owners of DRL cars to a) read the handbook and b) to turn lights on at dusk so as to show rear lights.

Almost every time I drive at dusk I see cars with DRL's on at the front and NO lights at the back.

How difficult is it for owners of DRL cars to a) read the handbook and b) to turn lights on at dusk so as to show rear lights.

Yeah, i must admit i find it odd that DRL's are only on the front of the car, surely if they are on the front, they should also be on the back?.

You do actually get them on the Venga of that age, but only on the '3' and '4' higher spec cars.

Hyundai ix20 - Day Running Lights Not Fitted in 2015? - oldroverboy.

No need for them. My venga does not have them either.. 2015 my.

quite happy without them.

less to go wrong. no sat nav, etc etc.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 06/09/2018 at 19:44

Hyundai ix20 - Day Running Lights Not Fitted in 2015? - oldroverboy.

ANd the cost of wiring them in on canbus wiring.....

Hyundai ix20 - Day Running Lights Not Fitted in 2015? - csgmart

Clearly the IX20 is excempt for that reason.

If it was that clear I wouldn't have asked the question but thanks for your reply.

Hyundai ix20 - Day Running Lights Not Fitted in 2015? - gordonbennet

Lucky her, some owners of these pointless things are going to be in for quite a shock when they inevitably fail and they discover a whole new headlight is needed.

Bring back dimdip.

Hyundai ix20 - Day Running Lights Not Fitted in 2015? - KJP 123

Big problem is when dozy MOT inspector fails your car - cf previous thread about brake pedal rubbers and drilled pedals.

Am I wrong in thinking that below bumper level lights were illegal except in fog/heavy rain and now can be used as DLR lights?

Lucky her, some owners of these pointless things are going to be in for quite a shock when they inevitably fail and they discover a whole new headlight is needed.

Bring back dimdip.

dimdip?

The first Saab i owned had a version of DRL, as those clever safety conscious Swedes discovered at a very early stage that having lights on during the day did in fact reduce accident rates.

i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/YY8AAOSwnHZYQF3g...G

it is the clear section below the indicator, and as they had their own seperate switch, you could choose to use them or, as is the case of some members, not. I always had them on.

I chose this pic deliberately as it is the same age and colour mine was, only mine was a 2 door, and i had obtained a set of turbo wheels. Really loved that car, even though the steering, at parking speed, was incredibly heavy!.

Hyundai ix20 - Day Running Lights Not Fitted in 2015? - gordonbennet

Nice cars those Saabs.

Volvo had extra bright sidelights for the purpose back in the 70's basically they put 21w bulbs in the front side lights, now i can't recall if they had 5w filaments available as parking lights, if they did then it was probably a standard 5/21w stop/tail light bulb.

Now wouldn't that 50 year old design be better than all these rather too camp fairy lights @ goodness knows what replacement cost when 2 x 5/21w bulbs @ £1 each would do the job just as well, i know what i'd rather have if i was forced to have these things.

Hyundai ix20 - Day Running Lights Not Fitted in 2015? - Falkirk Bairn

My son's Volvo 480 had DRLs in the 90s - blew bulbs all the time.

The 21/5 w bulbs required were not tail/stoplight bulbs as the bayonet connectors were different layout. That had notstopped the car's 1st owner from shoe horning in 21/ stop light bulbs.

Hyundai ix20 - Day Running Lights Not Fitted in 2015? - expat

The wife's 2009 I30 doesn't have DRL. We just leave the lights on at dip all the time. When you stop and take the key out the lights go off automatically and come on again when you start the car. The added benefit is that the tail lights are always on also.

Hyundai ix20 - Day Running Lights Not Fitted in 2015? - Bilboman

On holiday in Greece this summer I really noticed the contrast between newer cars which had DRLs and older cars (including most of the rental ones on the island!) which did not. Picking out oncoming, dark coloured, cars on roads not known for outstanding levels of safety, should not be turned into a game of "I spy" - especially given the state of Greek roundabouts.
For that reason, I think all cars should have them, but with the following provisos:
1. Front and back (as some newer cars have, e.g. Meganes) ; combined with automatic headlights which cannot be switched off.
2. Technology for fog detection asap - in the meantime, all car dashboards to have some kind of warning to indicate that lights are on or off (either dim the dashboard lights like the old days, or add LIGHTS ON and LIGHTS OFF tell-tales.)
4. Standardised brightness and size and positioning as far as possible. Early DRLs (Renault Scenic) were too low down and would reflect in puddles, causing atrocious dazzle.
5. Illegal aftermarket high-dazzle bling DRLs to be confiscated on the spot and preferably destroyed.