Ford focus cdti 1.6 zetec 2009 - Ford focus help - BirdyBoy

Hi all,

Ok so driving down the motorway to legoland last tuesday i pulled into the services , did my buisiness and went to leave . Just as i got near the slip road i felt a kind of judder (only a slight one) and the engine malfunction light came on , and my turbo had stopped working , i had power but going above 40 was a struggle. I plugged my cheapo obd2 gizmo in and it told me of a fault code U0073 Control module communication bus A off , i erased the code and restarted the car a few times and nothing changed. I only had like 10 ish miles left to get to legoland so i kept going , parked up and when i got back to the car , it drove fine all the way home.

This issue has happened in the past around 4 other times , im quite sure it gave different codes before but not 100% sure as i cant remember them. As before i plugged in the machine and erased the fault code and restarted it was the same untill i left the car off for a few hours and then it seemed to start working again .

Not sure if this is relevent but since around 2-3 months ago i can hear my turbo making a kind of woosh sound when im slowing down , its not all of the time but most of it .

Anyone got any clue as to whats going on , or come accross this before ?

Any help is greatly appreciated !!

Regards

Tony

Ford focus cdti 1.6 zetec 2009 - Ford focus help - elekie&a/c doctor

Unfortunately ,these cheap Obd gizmo readers are cheap for a reason. They rarely give accurate information. Codes starting with a "U " are electronic network codes and do not often relate to engine malfunction codes that start with a "P" . Lots of faults can cause the turbo to malfunction (if that is the problem) .Get the system checked properly.

Yea the codes i got origionally began with a P but i cant remember what they were . I guess ill wait till it happens again and make a note of it . What about the noise im hearing , kinda sounds like a dump valve ?

Ford focus cdti 1.6 zetec 2009 - Ford focus help - elekie&a/c doctor

Noise may be air escaping from a split iair ntake /turbo boost pipe. This can cause loss of power

Would that be an occasional thing though if theres a split pipe , ive tried to narrow it down and i can hear it most when im in third and ijust as i take my foot off the accelerator you hear it then for a split second .

Ford focus cdti 1.6 zetec 2009 - Ford focus help - SLO76
These are terrible for turbo failure which is caused usually by oil starvation. The noise you hear may be oil starved bearings screaming for help. I’d get it to a garage who understands these engines double quick as the oil feed for your turbo may be clogged up. More often than not when it fails on this particular motor the turbo disintegrates and shards of metal are ingested by the engine usually ruining it.

Ok so ive read this before about it being staved of oil due to a gauze in a banjo bolt being possilby blocked , everyone says to remove it .But i dont know where it is , does anyone have a picture ? is it easy to remove , i dont mind doing an oil change if ill lose oil , but i dont want the turbo to die..

Ford focus cdti 1.6 zetec 2009 - Ford focus help - RichardW

The dropping into limp is probably not the turbo dying; you really need to get some decent diagnostics, but if it does it under acceleration, and the fuel filter has not been changed recently, then I would stick a new filter in and see if that helps.

The whoosh noise could be the turbo fluttering on decelleration - pop the inlet pipe off and see if there is any play in the shaft. If there is, then you should probably get the turbo re-built before it gives up totally. This is not that hard or expensive - new cores can be had for not much more than £100.

Unfortuantely the filter in the turbo oil feed is in the bottom banjo bolt, which is screwed in the front of the block behind the cat/DPF, so you need to remove the cat/DPF to get at it. This is made much easier by removing the radiator (especially if it's a 110 with a DPF)! If you have to have the turbo out anyway, then I would definitely remove the filter whilst you are there.

The fuel filter hasnt been changed since ive had it , and this issue has only happened i think 5 times max since ive had it and all of those times within the last year . Im planning on doing the fuel filter this weekend with any luck.

And im not sure if it is going into limp mode , as i said previously the car can still get up to at least 60 just without the turbo and takes a long ass time to get there , i thought tlimp mode was alot slower ...?