Peugeot 208 - oil consumption - David Mackay

Hello, I recently bought a 64 reg Peugeot 208 with the 3 cylinder 1.2 petrol engine, relatively low mileage @ around 23k as we speak, I recently had an alarm sound on the dashboard indicating an emissions fault, so took it to the dealer fpr diagnostic check which apparently told them it needed a new engine mounting fitted, and mine wasn't the first one with this problem, just how that works I have no earthly idea. Whilst there I mentioned my concern at engine oil useage to be told that 1 litre per 1000 miles was acceptable, surely that cannot be the case?? As of yesterday I opened a fresh 5 litre of the correct engine oil with a note of the current mileage to see the outcome.................... anybody else have these issues?Thanks for reading :)

Peugeot 208 - oil consumption - Andrew-T

A long time back new engines were expected to use some oil while the cylinder parts 'bedded in'. That is no longer the rule, and anyway at 23K your engine should have done that. You need to find out where the oil is going - down the exhaust (blue smoke?) or more likely leaking out somewhere. If your 'emissions fault' is genuine, the catalyst may be affected.

Can't see how a new engine mount will help much though.

Peugeot 208 - oil consumption - badbusdriver

Regarding the engine mount, (and this is not an excuse by any means) 3 cylinder engines are inherantly unbalanced at lower rpm, such as idling, putting greater stresses on the mount. So if the engine mounts have not been designed to take this into account, it could explain why yours, and the others you mentioned, have failed. But if this is the case, then the question should be why Peugeot haven't fitted mounts capable of dealing with these extra stresses.

As for the oil consumption, i have certainly read and heard plenty of anecdotal eveidence to suggest modern engines do indeed use more oil than you might expect. Nothing specific to that engine mind you, btw, is it a turbo or n/a?.

The only direct experience i have of this was while working at a VW dealer in the early noughties and then only in diesels. The then new 'pd' turbo diesels were known to use oil and customers picking up a new car with one of these engines, would be supplied with a container of oil and instructions on how often to check the level.

Peugeot 208 - oil consumption - Andrew-T

... if the engine mounts have not been designed to take this into account, it could explain why yours, and the others you mentioned, have failed. But if this is the case, then the question should be why Peugeot haven't fitted mounts capable of dealing with these extra stresses.

My guess would be that Peugeot have little history of 3-cylinder engines and probably used their normal mounts found to be OK with 4-cyl ones?

Peugeot 208 - oil consumption - Gibbo_Wirral

Welcome to modern Peugeot ownership and constant oil topping! Its sadly a common thing on a number of models.

Peugeot 208 - oil consumption - carl233

My own personal everyday car which is a 1997 Mondeo with 246,000 miles on the clock does not use 1 litre per 1000 miles

I would suggest 0.2 or maybe 0.3 every 10,000 miles is realistic, as is well known oil burn will kill and cause issues with the cat.

Peugeot 208 - oil consumption - John F

1 litre per thousand miles should not 'cause issues' with the cat. Our old 2.0GL Passat was using around 1 litre per 1500miles or so at that sort of mileage - the cat was original and emissions well within limits. For reference, our current 1.6 Zetec Focus, which has had an oil change (cheapest synth 5-30 I can find) every 10-12,000m, is using around 1 litre per 5,000m at 130,000m.

Only owners of petrol engines with no leaks can be sure of their oil consumption. Those who delude themselves that their old diesel engines don't use any oil are possibly ignorant of their tendency to dilute it with unburnt fuel.

My own personal everyday car which is a 1997 Mondeo with 246,000 miles on the clock does not use 1 litre per 1000 miles

I would suggest 0.2 or maybe 0.3 every 10,000 miles is realistic, as is well known oil burn will kill and cause issues with the cat.

I'm afraid you're comparing chalk and cheese. Most, if not all, modern (2008 onwards) timing chain Peugeots consume oil.

Incredible that any design can burn that amount of oil, it will for sure not do the cat any favours in respect of a long life.

Peugeot 208 - oil consumption - catsdad
Its not just Peugeot. I think all car manufacturers claim that what owners regard as very high consumption is within spec. No matter that the real world consumption for most will be far better and just a few are stuck with one that drinks oil.
Its a get out that I am surprised they are still allowed to get away with.
Peugeot 208 - oil consumption - andyp

I know that car engines don't have to be "run in" like we had to in the good old days but if you don't take them past 2000 RPM and stretch them a bit once an initial 1000 miles or so have been covered then the piston rings are never going to bed in properly leading to oil burning. Filling engines with high quality synthetic oil from new probably doesn't help either !

Any design that has that kind of consumption has fatal flaws, how they get away with this is part of a larger discussion. Look what oil burn does to the cat it is not ideal!

My 308 is nearly eleven years old, needs a regular oil top up but is still on its original cat.

Sailed through all previous MOTs with low emissions.