Which is better Yaris, or Panda? - fv43576

I could not make up my mind which one to buy after sold my old Peugeot 306 for a Yaris 1.4D 73bhp 2004 or Panda 1.3 Multijet 70bhp 2004, I have been on both out for a test drive, both are very space for a small car, Panda is cost £29 cheaper to insure than Yaris, both have same road tax but the engine I am more focus is mpg because I am driving nearly 30,000 miles per year between 60-70mph on dual carriage, the Panda’s engine is rev to 2,900rpm at 70mph but the Yaris is rev low at 2,500rpm do you think 2,900 rpm is far too much for a diesel engine.

I am wonder why Panda can do 67 mpg better than the Yaris at 64mpg because the Panda got massive a turbo lag till 2,400rpm then it start to deliver power this would lose fuel consumption because of turbo lag but the Yaris is smooth torque it start from 1,500rpm it pull strong all way to 3,000rpm, if the Panda’s top gear is rev too much on 70mph I was expect the Panda to be more thirsty than the Yaris?

My Parent thinks the Panda is a good car but my friend is push me to buy Yaris that why I am not sure and ask for your help about mpg.

I am aim to keep the car longest as I can.

thanks

Which is better Yaris, or Panda? - badbusdriver

The Yaris would likely be the more reliable, but to be honest, buying a 14 year old turbo diesel is likely to be an enormous gamble either way. How reliable either car proves to be is going to be, to a fair degree anyway, determined by how it has been driven, serviced and looked after during the previous 14 years. And you have no real way of finding this out. Yes, the MOT history can provide some pointers, but i'm afraid i really wouldn't be very keen on either. Is there no way you could free up some more funds to get a newer car?, low cost finance, loan or whatever?.

As for MPG, the Panda is an extremely boxy shape, so it is inevitable that it will require more effort to push it along at 70mph than the Yaris. But do bear in mind, it is not the revs which determine how much fuel is being used, but how far down you have to push the throttle.

Which is better Yaris, or Panda? - oldroverboy.

AT 14 years old, yaris, but remember problems are coming either way!

Which is better Yaris, or Panda? - SLO76
Of the two the Yaris is by far the better option but I’ll echo the views of others that an old diesel is an unwise move. They’re almost always a total false economy compared to a much more reliable petrol equivalent. Look instead at a petrol Yaris, preferably the 1.3 which will break 50mpg no bother and will run and run if looked after. A Honda Jazz also will be similar and is hugely practical.
Which is better Yaris, or Panda? - fv43576

Honda Jazz never thought about it that's look great try have a test driver this week.

Which is better Yaris, or Panda? - nellyjak

No brainer...the Yaris by far...BUT petrol NOT diesel.

Which is better Yaris, or Panda? - madf

I own a 2003 Yaris d4d. Owners of similar cars with high miles and poor service history have lots of problems. Avoid at all costs.

Panda? Forget it.

A petrol Yaris is a much better but.. but watch for rust at teh rear underneath and especially the petrol filler pipe. A well maintained one is OK.. but one illmaintained or from a seaside location (salt = rust) means avoid like the plague.

Which is better Yaris, or Panda? - TheGentlemanThug

I'd recommend the Jazz as well. My wife has a 2006 model with the CVT gearbox and besides needing a new coil pack, it's never gone wrong. The ride can be firm but a cushion fixes that.

Most dependable car I've never owned :D

Edited by Bicycle_Repair_Man on 28/08/2018 at 12:52

Which is better Yaris, or Panda? - BMW Enthusiast

FIAT Fix It Again Tomorrow.

Which is better Yaris, or Panda? - Big John

1)Re Diesel:-

I'd avoid an old turbo diesel although at that age you may just avoid having a Diesel Particulate Filter. Saying that my lift share has a 59 plate 207 1.4hdi that hasn’t got a DPF and it's been bullet proof thus far (about 140k miles).

In addition the new MOT (from May this year) is proving a challenge for some old diesels now as the smoke emissions has to be below its plated value ie much lower than before!

For an older car get a normally aspirated petrol.

2) Re Yaris or Panda

I actually have a 56 1.2 Panda that we inherited and it has been generally OK although it's just had a gearbox bearing rebuild! Saying that this was surprisingly cheap including a new clutch whilst they were passing. The 8v fire engine is a lovely simple/sweet engine and the climate control is amazing (Italians make good fridges!). At 2006 it is showing hardly any signs of decay.

However try the Yaris(has a tiny boot though) and the Honda Jazz (amazing space for a small car and the "magic" seats are er magic)

At this age condition is all (service history really important) and even though cars are better preserved re rust it's still worth a double check re tin worm. I've seen some examples of serious/terminal rot around the rear wheel arches/ inner wings sills on a car of this age! Welded suspension mounts another poor point on some cars where poor steel has been used (I've seen a Punto with really bad rust here and another of the same age with none!)

Always doube check the MOT history of any car you are looking at :- www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Edited by Big John on 27/08/2018 at 21:25

Which is better Yaris, or Panda? - Sprice

Yaris.

Which is better Yaris, or Panda? - Engineer Andy

I may be wrong here, but your initial choices seem to be possibly because they are local cars for sale (seen in the local newspaper?) that fit your budget? Be VERY wary of just limiting yourself to cars locally available as you:

a) cross many potentially decent cars off your list (expanding your search to nearby towns [say up to 25 miles away] would increase that list a lot, and;

b) would set yourself up, especially if you let the seller know (particularly if you live in a small town or village) that you are a local, because they think you won't want to buy from further away and thus won't accept much of a reduction when haggling over price.

If I were you, I'd look round this website, as well as taking the views of other Backroomers, to determine firstly what type of car you need - size, load capacity, performance, handling, comfort, then look at your annual mileage and driving pattern to see what type of engine is appropriate:

i) If you do under 10k miles a year, then its petrol all the way;

ii) 10k-20k it will depend upon if that mileage is mainly made up of motorway or 60mph+ driving or lots of short urban trips from cold. If you know the service and usage history of the car and its done a decent amount of motorway type miles throughout its life, then some diesels may be fine if well looked after, but it is far more of a risk than going the petrol route. Just one moderate fault with a modern diesel (especially those with DPFs) and you've wiped out any savings in fuel and then some - it may be so expensive to repair that you have to scrap it.

iii) Well over 20k miles - you need a diesel, but frankly, if as I suspect, you don't have much of a budget for a newer car, then save up (why did you sell your 306 without sorting out a replacement? Can you get by for a while without a car and use public transport?) for a newer one, or if the miles are mainly commuting and car sharing or public transport isn't a viable solution (short or long term), then perhaps consider moving home or job to suit.

I agree with others here that your best bet on a small budget is for a petrol engined car - its the far safer bet to avoid expensive (and often terminal or write-off [financially] indcuing) problems down the road. That and go for a spec that has the minimum amount of electronic gadgets and gizmos - i.e. a base or lower middle spec car, as long its been well looked after and not had any major or recurring faults.

Why did you part ways with the 306 BTW? No chance (if it wasn't already sold) that you couldn't spend a bit to keep it on the road and save up for a newer car that reliability could be significantly better over the long term?