private car - Annual MOT - KenC

Can anyone advise please ( from personal experience)

I have care of a car ( owner is in a hospice) the mot certificate has been lost, I have checked online and ascertained the expiry date is 30th Sept 18

Can I present it a few weeks eaarly without the current certificate and ( if it passes) maintain the start /finish date of 30th september ?

thank you

private car - Annual MOT - skidpan

Can I present it a few weeks eaarly without the current certificate and ( if it passes) maintain the start /finish date of 30th september ?

thank you

Yup. Its all computerised now. MOT station will input Reg/VIN and it will automatically date the MOT 12 months from expiry provided you are withing 4 weeks.

Just make sure you are insurred to drive it and its taxed.

private car - Annual MOT - Chris M

You don't need the certificate, as it's no more than a receipt now, as all the information is computerised. You can present the car up to 30 days early and the new expiry will automatically run from the 30th September.

Assuming the car is not in regular use and you are insured to drive it, I'd suggest taking it for a good run prior to the mot to blow the cobwebs away. What is often referred to as an Italian tune up.

private car - Annual MOT - John F

....I'd suggest taking it for a good run prior to the mot to blow the cobwebs away. What is often referred to as an Italian tune up.

Just in case you don't know what a 'good run' and 'Italian tune-up' mean......ensure the engine is thoroughly warm. This not just seeing the temperature gauge at normal, the oil should be hot as well, so in the absence of an oil temp gauge, at least 10miles into a 'run'. Then pick a good place to accelerate hard in a low gear to the 'red line' on the rev counter. If no rev counter you will just have to guess. Good places are long hills on dual carriageways where you can exercise the engine under load at maximum revs for several seconds. I do this every few weeks.

private car - Annual MOT - Andrew-T

Assuming the car is not in regular use and you are insured to drive it, I'd suggest taking it for a good run prior to the mot to blow the cobwebs away. What is often referred to as an Italian tune up.

The point of the Italian tune-up is to avoid failing the test on emissions. If the car is a diesel (you don't say) a 10-mile run might be advisable if the car is normally idle. A shot of injector conditioner beforehand, or a few litres of super-diesel fuel in the tank, might also help.