VW Polo 1.4, Match (62 Reg/2012 Edition 5DR PETROL - Whining sounds, creaking, judder - Charles James

Vehicle:
VW Polo 1.4, Match (62 Reg/2012 Edition) 5DR PETROL

Hi all

I just picked up the above mentioned vehicle from a VW Maindealer. The vehicle has done just under 16,500 miles. As you can imagine, the test drive at the time was noisey, and the car drives fine.

However, on the way home today, I began to notice a whining sound coming from I believe the front side of the car, but I cannot be sure. It is a constant whine, like a whistle and it only happens when the car is idling. It does not happen in motion (or if it does I cannot hear it due to road noise etc - but I am of the belief that it does not).

- There is also a whining sound when turning the wheel when not in motion.

The second issue I am having is when I turn sometimes to the left mostly, or to the right, the steering wheel inside the car begins to creak, like a creaking ship? This mostly happens when I break and slow down, and have noticed it a lot down hill.

The third issue is, when idling I can notice a slight judder every say 15-20 seconds.

The car idles, fine, it drives fine, it stops fine. It changes gear and I believe it picks up speed with no issues. Everything else is perfect on the car, due to the mileage.

The vehicle has full main dearlership history, and has never failed an MOT and has a day's old servivce and MOT. All MOTs have passed fine without issue and the main dealer did a health check before putting the car on the market.

I drove it home fine, there were no issues other than the above mentioned sounds, and when idling the slight judder. The car performs well except for the above annoying issues, I mean it's perfect other than these.

I've only had it less than a day less than 10 hours as of posting this. The vehicle comes with an MOT guarantee (i.e. any issues VW will fix to a certain price point) and it also has a 12 month warranty, see here:

www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warranty/used-car

I really like the car, and I got an excellent price for it and it's almost new due to the very low mileage and I would be happy to get these issues sorted rather than having to return the vehicle and go around getting refunds and travelling. The main dealer I purchased it from is about 60 miles away, however there are many local ones where i can get the warranty sorted.

What could these isssues be? I know nothing about cars, other than general maintenance, a small bit about vehicle electrics. But I do know about common problems that I have experienced personally. But this has not been one.

Can someone please give me a hand? Please reply back if you need any further detail I can respond quickly as I am always online.

Thank you so much.

Edited by Charles James on 21/08/2018 at 03:54

VW Polo 1.4, Match (62 Reg/2012 Edition 5DR PETROL - Whining sounds, creaking, judder - Big John

Take it back to the dealer , you have rights and the law is in your favour especially for the first six months where a fault is presumed to exist before you bought the car unless the dealer can prove otherwise. The warranty is on top of this!

Don't try and fix yourself - take it back.

Edited by Big John on 21/08/2018 at 22:56

VW Polo 1.4, Match (62 Reg/2012 Edition 5DR PETROL - Whining sounds, creaking, judder - Charles James

Dear Big John

I would never attempt to fix it myself. John. The creaking only occurs when indicating (either indicator lever fully engaged or using the 3 second indicator). I tried driving with the hazards on and this does not happen when turning.

The whine seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle, a constant whine so I am thinking maybe fuel pump as it is only coming on when the car is on, and gets louder as the car warms up?

I am taking it back tomorrow but would be greatful if anyone can shed any light on why these things may be happening?

VW Polo 1.4, Match (62 Reg/2012 Edition 5DR PETROL - Whining sounds, creaking, judder - Big John

Dear Big John

I would never attempt to fix it myself. John. The creaking only occurs when indicating (either indicator lever fully engaged or using the 3 second indicator). I tried driving with the hazards on and this does not happen when turning.

The whine seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle, a constant whine so I am thinking maybe fuel pump as it is only coming on when the car is on, and gets louder as the car warms up?

I am taking it back tomorrow but would be greatful if anyone can shed any light on why these things may be happening?

Bit more of a clue - the creaking sounds like something not quite right with the indicator self cancelling or possibly the clock spring

If the noise is from the rear of the car - yes, sounds like the fuel pump

When idling the slight judder needs investigating - could be a faulty coil pack. If it's an ignition issue such as this then the catalyst may be being hit with unburnt petrol - not good

Was this car in the dealer network/ unused for some time?

Edited by Big John on 22/08/2018 at 21:14

Dear Big John

Bit more of a clue - the creaking sounds like something not quite right with the indicator self cancelling or possibly the clock spring

If the noise is from the rear of the car - yes, sounds like the fuel pump

When idling the slight judder needs investigating - could be a faulty coil pack. If it's an ignition issue such as this then the catalyst may be being hit with unburnt petrol - not good

Was this car in the dealer network/ unused for some time?

Hi. Dealers have apologised and will sort everything out. They believe the whistle is from the fuel pump and will investigate it. The creek is probably just a lubrication thing and will look at it. I don’t think it was in the dealer network because, the owners were elderly and it was sold on due to their old age. However in the last year it had only been driven 250 miles or so according to MOT. When the car starts fresh the car rocks a little, however once it warms up the bidders are very faint so I will have to let the car cool down and show them. Also when I set off, you can hear a clunk after going in to 2nd gear, and when coming to a complete halt you can hear a clunk when using pedal brake, as well as this after lifting he pedal brake is an electrical sounding beep. One more thing you can hear the more whining when wheels are turning at slow and low speeds although this whine sounds normal but I am not sure Nevertheless they will look at it all and get us sorted l. They seem like a good bunch but any heads up?