Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - xxxx Cars Ltd, Essex - brian 1 peck

I made the mistake of purchasing an overpriced Suzuki Grand Vitara (on a 2009 plate) thinking that I'll avoid any mechanical issues, due to buying from a dealer rather than going for a cheaper version privately etc. The car was sold with full history and a years MOT, with no advisory warnings showing.

No sooner had I returned all the way back to the south coast with it from Brentwood, Essex, did I realise that the trader had advertised the car on Autotrader with 69000 miles on the clock, whereas it was actually showing 72000. Plus there was a hole the size of a golf ball hidden under the drivers side mat!?!

Some strongly worded emails later, the trader eventually offered me £140 as a 'gift', which I stupidly accepted. As I was still using my company car at the time, the Vitara then sat on the drive for the next 3 weeks or so until I handed back my company car. When I began using the Vitara it quickly started making a strange noise when running. Not being a mechanic or knowing what was going on I passed it to my local Suzuki dealership so they could take a look.

A day later I was stunned to hear that the car was found to have had next to no engine oil in it, that an exhaust mount was broken, the drivers seat was lose and two out of the three windscreen wipers were worn out. On closer inspection I saw that the previous 2017 MOT had highlighted two of these items but the one that xxxx Cars Ltd sold with it was showing a clean bill of health!

Now, I'm left with a car that I cannot keep but need to put right before I sell on. I'm so annoyed as the guy who sold me this Vitara saw that I had a heavily pregnant partner and two toddlers, who were in the new car with me as I drove away from his car yard. It makes me so angry to think that this guy allowed me to risk the lives of my children over making a few pound coins!?!

I have submitted all relevant evidence to the Trading Standards and can only hope that they follow this case up before the greediness of these two chaps running this particular 2nd hand car dealership kills some poor sod.

(Name of dealer deleted.)

Edited by Avant on 17/08/2018 at 23:58

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - xxxx Cars Ltd, Essex - Smileyman

I'd ask them to take the car back for what you paid them, and start researching the procedure at the County Court as a back up plan. Also go to Companies House website to find out the identities of the Directors, it's free and easy to do.

Edited by Avant on 17/08/2018 at 23:59

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - xxxx Cars Ltd, Essex - RobJP

1. Please read the section at the start of these forums on 'naming and shaming'. Which you seem to have completely failed to do.

Just like ...

2. You completely failed to even look at the odometer and check that it was somewhere close to the advertised mileage.

Just like ...

3. Historic MOTs have been online for years. A little bit of research would have found all the prior issues out.

Yes, the dealer may be a scumbag, and untrustworthy. But they sell used cars. With very rare exceptions, that's normality.

But to go blundering in blind and not even check up on basic things is unforgivable on your part.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - xxxx Cars Ltd, Essex - Mike H

A day later I was stunned to hear that the car was found to have had next to no engine oil in it, that an exhaust mount was broken, the drivers seat was lose and two out of the three windscreen wipers were worn out. On closer inspection I saw that the previous 2017 MOT had highlighted two of these items but the one that Barn Cars Ltd sold with it was showing a clean bill of health!

Whilst your anger with the dealer that sold you the car is understandable, the only big deal in this is the lack of oil in the engine. Has it been confirmed that permanent damage has been done? Did you not take 30 seconds to check the oil level before you bought it?

The other items could be fixed with the £140 you have been given. The MOT only covers the condition of the car at the time of the test, and items such as windscreen wipers being "worn out" can be a matter of opinion. Depending on the price you paid (which you admit was over the odds), Trading Standards may well just politely point out to you that the car was 9 years old, and could reasonable be expected to have some wear and tear. Caveat Emptor!

This car was bought at a high price of £5500, which I had understood, using Whatcar priceguide, put it in the 'excellent condition' bracket. I bought this car with this understanding and was hoping that the owner would be slightly honest on the day, which he most certainly was not.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - xxxx Cars Ltd, Essex - SLO76

I’m assuming here that the “hole the size of a golf ball” means there is just a hole dug in the carpet no doubt where a female owner has been wearing heels while driving? A common but very very minor issue on a near decade old car and not one the dealer has any need to compensate you for what so ever. You’d’ve Been shown the door had you returned with such a complaint to me so the fact they gave you £140 shows they’ve been keen to keep you happy. The worn wipers are again a minuscule worry on an old car and one which is easily rectified with a trip to your local motor factors with twenty quid in your pocket. Again no reason to scream from the rooftops. The lack of oil is a concern and one which shows they never carried out any prep work on the car. Was it only slightly down the dipstick or was there nothing showing at all? Why didn’t you check this before buying? Was it a cheap trade-in style purchase? How many miles has it done and how much did you pay? The thing about taking an old car like this in to a main dealer and asking them to look it over is that they will pick up every minor issue and blow it up like it’s the end of the world. You need to reign in your ideas if you’re going to run an old car like this on a realistic budget. I could take any near perfect ten year old car into any main dealer and they could quickly list a huge amount of work they’d advise you to do but again you cannot expect an old car to be fault free. I suspect (but could be wrong you are overreacting here. Is it possible that you are not used to driving an older SUV like the Vitara and have came from an ordinary hatchback and are simply surprised by the poor drive and lack of refinement? There’s good reason why Vitara’s tend to have a lot of short term ownership. People buy them, they hate the way they drive and they trade them in again for a normal hatchback again. I made good money with these in the 90’s especially with young ladies who loved the look of the original model but then hated the way the thing drove and ate petrol and were soon back looking to get out of it again.

Edited by Avant on 18/08/2018 at 00:00

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - xxxx Cars Ltd, Essex - oldroverboy.

I have heard of the dealer named here, and there are a lot of big billboards around Essex showing them. I have no comment to make other than that a dealer with that exposure, internet and local advertising would be "reasonable" in what they sold.

An example, some neighbours bought a 1.8 petrol zafira 14 plate from a dealer in south east essex and have had 2 engine failures... both repaired and a courtesy car provided (for 2 weeks the second time.)

There is a dealer here in Colchester who sold a mondeo last year and the car had injector problems... refund or proper repair sir.. (customer chose repair) cost dealer nearly £1400, but that is why they have a good reputation.

See the difference.. a 3.5 year old car against a 9 year old car, more or less local, and most importantly, a warranty and went on reccomendation....

Research Research Research!

Edited by Avant on 18/08/2018 at 00:00

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - xxxx Cars Ltd, Essex - barney100

Any used car is a gamble so check as much as you can, a decent test drive on different road types should show up many faults. You need a bit of luck whatever but careful checks put the odds more your way.

Edited by Avant on 18/08/2018 at 00:01

I'm a consultant and have been driving a new company car for the past five years. Yes, I accept that I may have not taken the time to inspect all the relevent documentation but as I was buying this at £5500, which is a clear £1000 over the stated Whatcar price (Good to Excellent condition), I just thought the risk of buying a dog was low.

What really annoyed me was the fact that the older, 2016 MOT also highlighted an oil leak from the gearbox. Now, as wel as having to purchase new brake pads (Suzuki had also saw that these were running approx 15% left), I now need to accept that xxxx Cars may have had this important bitof information withdrawn from the new MOT.

This has been a learning curve but I think it is important that cowboys in the trade are named and shamed and I'm sure that majority of people would agree that this is progressive action.

At the end of the day: at least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he robbed people!?!

Edited by Avant on 18/08/2018 at 00:01

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - xxxx Cars Ltd, Essex - oldroverboy.

If you are a consultant,, ie someone with a bit of intelligence.. and you have spotted all this NOW,

Why did you not do the history/MOT checks beforehand, check the owners forums etc and resumably earning a fair wage, buy locally and from a suzuki dealer... The keyword is locally.... Up to you to return the car for warranty claims, however far.

I'm not having a "go" at you, but the story of these and this forum is "When I checked afterwards"......

There is a very nice vitara for sale here in Colchester similiar age from a reputable trader (yes I know him) of that age £4250...

I would not buy an older car that was out of manufacturer warranty anymore and I can afford to buy lots of "nice" od cars, but with the attaches risks, so won't do it.

Edited by Avant on 18/08/2018 at 00:02

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - xxxx Cars Ltd, Essex - SLO76

£5,500 is a high price for one of these at that age and yes as a retail car it should’ve been prepared properly including a service if that hasn’t been done recently and it certainly sounds like it hasn’t. You’re right to be angry. I was expecting you to say £2,500 or less here which would be a different story. Yes it’s an older car and the hole in the carpet is not an issue but it shouldn’t have a knackered engine mount and be low in oil. Is it per chance the 1.9 diesel? This is a fiat motor and rather troublesome as it ages plus it’s known for using oil. The petrol engines are very robust. Sadly however you have accepted their offer of compensation which would cover a service and a set of wipers but the engine mount if it is in need of replacement will be on you. I’d get a service and check done by a good local independent garage, preferably one with 4wd experience.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - xxxx Cars Ltd, Essex - Mike H

Now, as wel as having to purchase new brake pads (Suzuki had also saw that these were running approx 15% left), I now need to accept that xxxx Cars may have had this important bitof information withdrawn from the new MOT.

They were legal on the day of MOT. You could have checked how much life there was left in them. End of.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr - xxxx Cars Ltd, Essex - Avant

"I'm a consultant.....This has been a learning curve but I think it is important that cowboys in the trade are named and shamed and I'm sure that majority of people would agree that this is progressive action."

I'm not sure what 'progressive action' is consultant-speak for, but what you've been doing is hardly progressive.

I wouldn't want to use a consultant who (a) doesn't trouble to read the 'naming and shaming' guidance at the top of the page, and (b) isn't aware that naming a dealer and making comments such as 'cowboy' could lead to legal action against both himself and ourselves.

It should be obvious to you why as moderator I have deleted the dealer's name, and very irritatingly have had to do it to the heading of each subsequent post.

Edited by Avant on 18/08/2018 at 00:05