LOST: Car Insurance Documents - Mr Fox
During the hellish process of moving house, My Partner has inadvertantly lost / discarded all her documents relating to an insurance policy on a car which she has just sold, but the policy was paid in advance until November 2003.

Thing Is she really can't remember who the insurance was with. We've tried ringing round dozens, but to no avail.

Problem Is now we need to provide proof of full NCB before she can insure a new car properly, or indeed transfer this policy to the future vehicle.

Is there any database we could consult, the registration number was L 54 RUA - if this helps.

Really struggling to think of more ideas. . .
HELP !

Marc
LOST: Car Insurance Documents - frostbite
Don't you have a record through your Bank or Credit Card? As a last resort, the police might have a record on PNC, but getting them to check it could be another matter!
LOST: Car Insurance Documents - Morris Ox
Association of British Insurers might be able to help you with this one.
...on the other hand, a blindingly obvious answer!

If she's paid, ask the bank!
LOST: Car Insurance Documents - puntoo
I believe that the the police now have a database from all unsurers of cars registered with them. You would have to find a friendly policeman though.
LOST: Car Insurance Documents - Pugugly {P}
Contact Expedian, they handle the Police database, they are legally obliged for a fee(usually a tenner) to provide any details they hold on you under Data Protection Act.
LOST: Car Insurance Documents - Fullchat
There is absolutely no chance I'm afraid of the Police providing the information despite being sympathetic to your plight. Pugugly has offered the best advice
Fullchat
LOST: Car Insurance Documents - Jonathan {p}
Do you mean experian?

these are the data people (credit files etc).

I've never heard of expedian

Jonathan
LOST: Car Insurance Documents - Pugugly {P}
whoops ! Indeed I did...
LOST: Car Insurance Documents - Martin Wall
Are there any clues in the car itself - e.g. branded tax disc holder or 'what to do if you have an accident booklet' from insurance company?

Alternatively why not commit a minor driving offence whilst a police car is nearby and when they are checking out your details ask them 'so, who am I insured with then?' ;-)

Seriously though - remember that if stopped by the police they can ask to see your driving licence and insurance certificate or for you to produce them within x days at a police station...so best to find the details sooner rather than later!

good luck
LOST: Car Insurance Documents - Mr Fox
Have applied to Experian for Data File, Not entirely convinced that it will have car insurance details though, seems more concerned with Credit cards etc, now I expect that if you paid the insurance in instalments, this would show up as an entry because it is a credit agreement.
LOST: Car Insurance Documents - MarkyMarkD
Have applied to Experian for Data File, Not entirely convinced that
it will have car insurance details though, seems more concerned with
Credit cards etc, now I expect that if you paid the
insurance in instalments, this would show up as an entry because
it is a credit agreement.

I think you asked for the wrong thing. If you pay a credit reference agency (incl. Expedian) £2, they will give you a copy of your credit information, which will not help. Even if there is a credit agreement, it doesn't name the lender - just says "BANK" or "Insurance company" IIRC.

What you wanted to do is a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act which costs around £10 or so and means that the Data Holder has to give you a copy of ANY information they hold on you. This would include the name of the insurer which they hold as part of the motor insurers' database they run.

Hope this helps.
Have applied to Experian for Data File, Not entirely convinced that
it will have car insurance details though, seems more concerned with
Credit cards etc, now I expect that if you paid the
insurance in instalments, this would show up as an entry because
it is a credit agreement.

Surely the answer to all this is your bank?