Peugeot 208 - Peugeot 208 drinking oil - HBK_S Wales

I've got a 1ltr petrol engine with a 14 plate - I've had the car 8 months and it's been drinking oil since Christmas. Definitely using the right kind as I took it to the garage to confirm. Using about2ltrs every 4-6 weeks but no leakage or burning from the exhaust.

Just got it back from the Peugeot garage where they stripped it back for me to investigate - I've been told that the pistons and valves were caked in oil and that my choice is either get the engine reconditioned (they quoted £1250 with no guarantee of solving the problem) or getting a new engine (they quoted £3000).

They haven't told me what was causing the oil leakage despite asking. Would really appreciate some advice on what to do next as this is alot of money and I'm completely out of my depth! Thanks so much :)

Peugeot 208 - Peugeot 208 drinking oil - bathtub tom

I've got a 1ltr petrol engine with a 14 plate - I've had the car 8 months and it's been drinking oil since Christmas. Definitely using the right kind as I took it to the garage to confirm. Using about2ltrs every 4-6 weeks but no leakage or burning from the exhaust.

The oil must be either dripping out of the engine, or being burnt in combustion. In the first case there will be oil stains under the car and in the second there will be blue smoke from the exhaust.

How many miles does it do per litre of oil? How many miles has it done? Does it do lots of short journeys and what's its service regime?

It could be something like a blocked breather pipe, in which case a good old fashioned mechanic may be better than a main dealer.

Peugeot 208 - Peugeot 208 drinking oil - HBK_S Wales

Thanks for the quick reply! It's got 48000 miles on it and I'm getting about 1200 - 1500 miles out of the oil.

Might be a silly question but if it was a blocked breather pipe, would the garage have checked that when they stripped back the head? Starting to feel like I've been conned out of £300 for them to tell me something I already knew about my car drinking oil.