Audi A3 - 2008 Audi A3 1.9TDIE Engine - James Frodsham

Hello,

I am looking at buying an Audi A3 mainly due to its build quality and the reliability and economy of the 1.9TDI engine, which seems to have been used from 04-07. This same engine seems to have been modified to a 1.9TDIE around 2008 and has a lower road tax then the older generation I assume this is because it's had a DPF fitted?

My question is, what is the differend between the 1.9TDIE and the original 1.9 TDI?

And i the newer 1.9 TDIE engine as reliable as the older model ? Or is it one to be avoided and best to stick with the tried and trusted original 1.9 TDI?

Many thanks in advance.

Audi A3 - 2008 Audi A3 1.9TDIE Engine - skidpan

You are looking to buy a 10 year old car. At that age no brand on earth is going to be reliable, most will be sold because they have issues.

Widen your options, buy on condition, history and mileage rather than brand.

Audi A3 - 2008 Audi A3 1.9TDIE Engine - James Frodsham

I agree, i was always going to buy on history and condition i wasn't just going to buy any old one off the street with no service history?

I have been reading that these are good engines if well serviced but would like to know the difference between the two versions.

Audi A3 - 2008 Audi A3 1.9TDIE Engine - Steveieb
I have a 2003 A4 Tdi 1.9 and have been advised not to get anything newer with this engine as attempts to improve its Eco credentials failed dramatically.

The engines of my car vintage have solenoid operated injectors which have proved far more reliable than the piezo ones fitted on later cars . Also aAudi fitted a Bosch Abs pump instead of the replacement which caused so many problems.

I'd dearly love to update my Audi for a later year with the 1.9 Tdi engine but all reports appear to advise against this.

Apart from the adverse effect of fitting the Dpf which the engine was never designed to work with there have been reports of these engines breaking con rods through the casing on later versions.

What a tragic ending to one of the best Diesel engines ever made.
Audi A3 - 2008 Audi A3 1.9TDIE Engine - SLO76
TDe was developed to cut emissions and should have a DPF something which this elderly diesel motor was not designed to take. On this limited budget I’d avoid diesel full stop.
Audi A3 - 2008 Audi A3 1.9TDIE Engine - bazza

I ran an 08 1.9 tdi up to last year to about 90K. It was in an Octavia and prefix BXE. It didn't have a DPF and was a great engine. I did a lot of research about the alleged con rod issue and although there is quite a lot of noise on the internet, the actual failure rate so far as I could deduce is very low, not worth worrying about. It's a noisy thing though. I did have a number of age/mileage faults with the rest of the car though, so check carefully if buyimg an A3.I agree with SLO and would avoid at this age.

Audi A3 - 2008 Audi A3 1.9TDIE Engine - Steveieb
Does anyone know which engine codes are not fitted with a Dpf apart from BXE ?