Vauxhall Astra - Mazda3 vs Vauxhall Astra - gbrobertim

I'm a long time reader of this forum and find myself with a dilemma I would appreciate some help with.

My wifes car needs replacing with a mid size petrol car to do 5K miles a year with a budget of 12K to keep for 8 years.

I would expect back room advice would say get a Mazda 3 with the 2 litre engine, the 12K budget brings in 3-4 year old examples of this.

The dilemma is that Motorpoint have a good supply of <1 year old Astra SRi for £9.5K with the 1.4 turbo engine which should be more satisfying to drive and a better spec with DAB etc which is missing from the Mazda at this budget.

Am I asking for trouble?

Vauxhall Astra - Mazda3 vs Vauxhall Astra - badbusdriver

I'm a long time reader of this forum and find myself with a dilemma I would appreciate some help with.

My wifes car needs replacing with a mid size petrol car to do 5K miles a year with a budget of 12K to keep for 8 years.

I would expect back room advice would say get a Mazda 3 with the 2 litre engine, the 12K budget brings in 3-4 year old examples of this.

The dilemma is that Motorpoint have a good supply of <1 year old Astra SRi for £9.5K with the 1.4 turbo engine which should be more satisfying to drive and a better spec with DAB etc which is missing from the Mazda at this budget.

Am I asking for trouble?

Not really, i'm not aware of any particular issues with that engine (but look through the 'good/bad' section of the honest john review), different if you were looking at a diesel Astra (or Mazda for that matter). Just make sure you are happy with the ride, being a sporty SRI, it will probably have quite stiff suspension and big wheels.

Vauxhall Astra - Mazda3 vs Vauxhall Astra - skidpan

I suggest you also check out the Seat Leon 1.4 TSi preferably with the 150 PS engine. We drove the Mazda 3 2 litre having owned the Seat for a couple of years and it was poor, in truth it was worse than I expected. We recently looked at the Astra, the 1.4 in base trim pretty much met our requirements but there is one major issue with the car that stopped us even bothering with a drive. There is no facility to fit a spare in the boot without buying the raised floor kit. This reduces a boot that in truth is smaller than to Leon to one that is smaller than any class competitor. As an example, we bought the Skoda Fabia, its a class smaller but the boot has a full size wheel well and a bigger boot than the Astra. Vauxhall have made a real cock up with the design IMHO ruining a potentially good car.

With regards to the Seat we owned it for 4 years, had no issues, was comfortable and well equipped in SE trim and on the 16" wheels had a nice ride. For 12K you would get a 2 or 3 year old 1.4 but if you look at the 1.2 (its still way better than the Mazda) your 12K would get you a 1 year old example.

Vauxhall Astra - Mazda3 vs Vauxhall Astra - badbusdriver

I suggest you also check out the Seat Leon 1.4 TSi preferably with the 150 PS engine. We drove the Mazda 3 2 litre having owned the Seat for a couple of years and it was poor, in truth it was worse than I expected. We recently looked at the Astra, the 1.4 in base trim pretty much met our requirements but there is one major issue with the car that stopped us even bothering with a drive. There is no facility to fit a spare in the boot without buying the raised floor kit. This reduces a boot that in truth is smaller than to Leon to one that is smaller than any class competitor. As an example, we bought the Skoda Fabia, its a class smaller but the boot has a full size wheel well and a bigger boot than the Astra. Vauxhall have made a real cock up with the design IMHO ruining a potentially good car.

With regards to the Seat we owned it for 4 years, had no issues, was comfortable and well equipped in SE trim and on the 16" wheels had a nice ride. For 12K you would get a 2 or 3 year old 1.4 but if you look at the 1.2 (its still way better than the Mazda) your 12K would get you a 1 year old example.

I think the OP is interested in the Astra specifically due to that price, which is extremely competitive!. I doubt an equivalent Leon of that age could be found for anywhere near that price (like the Mazda).

Having said that, i have no doubt that the Astra's price is due to the uncertainty of Vauxhall's future under the PSA group, so while you may make a big saving buying one now, it may not translate to much, if any, saving once you come to sell/trade in.

Vauxhall Astra - Mazda3 vs Vauxhall Astra - Avant

If this is to be your wife's car, and yours has a bigger boot, then boot size may not be a big issue. You should without doubt specify a spare wheel.

If this is the current model Astra, road tests suggest that it's better to drive than previous Astras, which have been simply machines to get you from A to B. She needs to test drive the model you have in mind and see how she likes it.

But it does sound like a good deal: these Astras may well have been hire cars so check very carefully for signs that the car has been abused or neglected. Most big-name hire companies do look after them properly, though.

Vauxhall Astra - Mazda3 vs Vauxhall Astra - bazza

If keeping for 8 years plus, buy as new as possible. For your budget I believe skidpan got a brand new fabia 1.0 ? Personally think 12k is a bit steep for a 3 to 4 year old Mazda, much as I'm a fan of them.

Vauxhall Astra - Mazda3 vs Vauxhall Astra - Chris M

Just had a look at Motorpoint and the cheapest 1.4T SRi <1 year old are £10.6k. The cheaper ones the OP refers to are the 1.4 N/A.

Picking up on a couple of points previously made. The SRi is just a trim level with the same suspension/wheel sizes as other trim levels. Ride is good. SRi sits one down from Elite so trim level is quite good although air con rather than climate as standard.

Boot space isn't massive and when I was looking I specified no spare wheel as the boot would have been too small with one. Spare wheels have been discussed here before and it was no deal breaker for me not to have one.The upside of the small boot is plenty of legroom in the back which may or may not be of use for the OP.

Suggest you try a 1.0T before deciding, it may surprise you. The 1.4N/A is a bit gutless and whilst the 1.4T 150 is certainly quicker, I just didn't feel the need for that extra power seeing as my mileage is similar to the OP. There were some issues with early 1.4Ts, but this appears to have been solved with a re-specified oil. Was Dexos 2, now Dexos 1 Gen 2. No reported issues I've seen with the 1.0T although the new oil is now specified.

One of the changes PSA have made is to withdraw from the daily hire market, hence Motorpoint have far fewer for sale than they did a few months back. I didn't buy from them, but used their price to negotiate with a main dealer.

Vauxhall Astra - Mazda3 vs Vauxhall Astra - skidpan

I believe skidpan got a brand new fabia 1.0

We did indeed, the SE-L 110 PS.

I did not mention because the OP was looking at cars in the size class above but in truth the Fabia has excellent space. The boot is vitually the same size as the Leon and bigger than the Astra but it does loose some back seat space to them, might be worth a look.

Just been on Carfiles website www.carfile.net/buy-your-car/skoda/fabia_hatchback...l (the broker we bought it from) and as an example after discount, test drive bonus and finance contribution (cancel within 2 weeks and keep the £1400) a brand new 1.0 SE 110 PS can be had for £10638. But if you are interested be quick. The only cars available until later in the year are stock ones, no more factory orders until 2019 cars start being made (to new Euro 7).

Vauxhall Astra - Mazda3 vs Vauxhall Astra - Avant

"One of the changes PSA have made is to withdraw from the daily hire market."

Interesting: Vauxhall madea lot of sale that way, but I suppose that the big hire companies beat them down to such heavy discounts that they didn't make money. Vauxhall / Opel have been losing money for years.

Still, the good news for any of us who hire a car is that we'll be less likle;ly to get a Vauxhall. I remember hiring a car (from Budget) to go from Aberdeen to Heathrow via Dumfries, and asking for a diesel and preferably not a Vauxhall. What did I get? A petrol Astra.

I wonder who is stepping into the gap. Probably Skoda / SEAT and Hyundai / Kia.

Vauxhall Astra - Mazda3 vs Vauxhall Astra - SLO76
With such longterm ownership in mind you have the luxury of not having to worry about depreciation which is one of the biggest negatives about buying an Astra. The current model is a good car but the non-turbo 1.4 is a slug and while its robust it is best avoided unless you’re mostly just pootling around town. Make sure you’re getting the turbo which makes a world of difference in this and since it’s based on a well tried and tested basic design it should give no reliability worries. I’d avoid the Fiat diesels and the 1.0 turbo which are still an unknown quantity.

That said I’d sooner have a Seat Leon, Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSi or a Mazda 3 or Toyota Auris 1.2T.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/07/2018 at 18:22

Vauxhall Astra - Mazda3 vs Vauxhall Astra - Kekettykek

I've had an Astra 1.4t Elite for over 18 months and I've been very happy with it. Never thought I'd ever see myself in a Vauxhall but the K is leaps and bounds ahead of the previous J model and is much better equipped that the equivalent Focus or Golf.

As another poster pointed out there were problems with the new Astra turbo engines that were solved with an new oil spec and an ECU upgrade, if you do get one make sure this has been carried out.