Ford Fiesta 1.2 - How to fix Fiesta sharp brakes? - Matt@

Fiesta 1.2 64 plate. I am a PDI and use this car for driving lessons. The cars done 24K has original discs (not much wear) Recent Ford pads nicely bedded in. Rear shoes half worn. The brakes especially when hot tend to be all or nothing. When pressed that little bit more to slow down more the brakes are on and grabbing hard, stopping the car on a sixpence - really vicious. Is there any way I can make the brakes less grabby? Cheaper pads? vented discs? Its not very good for learners!

thanks!

Ford Fiesta 1.2 - How to fix Fiesta sharp brakes? - skidpan

Cheaper pads?

All pads have to comply with ECE Regulation 90 to be road legal on cars sold after September 1999. Basically this means that the performance has to be within 15% of the original spec.

So if you want to put rubbish brakes on your Drivng School car you will have to source some illegal ones form the Far East. This would create many legal issues for you if the car was involved in an accident especially if there was an injury,, you would probably loose your licence and business.

So wht not simply put the car in for a brake service at a Ford garage telling them of the issues you are having with the car. Avoid the quick fit places like the plague.

Ford Fiesta 1.2 - How to fix Fiesta sharp brakes? - edlithgow

Maybe your ABS is AWOL? Get it checked

IF your braking system is working as designed, then it seems you actually want to reduce braking effriciency (or at least make it more progressive). The former is perhaps doable but more than a little dodgy for a vehicle that is to be used on public roads. Wouldn't be so bad here in Taiwan because driving tests are done on a closed test track, and bear very little comparison with real driving.

Oil (vegetable or mineral, but probably vegetable) might do it, but you'd have to experiment very gradually and carefully.

Maybe try and get some old pads, but I doubt anyone will give you them.

Asymetric shims might make the pads contact the disks unevenly (or with unevenly distributed pressure), which could reduce thier efficiency. They'll wear-in eventually and recover, but then you could remove the shims, then replace, then remove, etc.

Introduce a controlled (small) volume of air into the braking system via the bleed nipples, using a hypodermic syringe.

But seriosly. Get them checked.

Not looking to do anything dodgy for obvious reasons. Different pads have different characteristics. Maybe different ones might be less sharp. Sharp brakes on fiestas a known complaint if googled. Vented discs?

Ford Fiesta 1.2 - How to fix Fiesta sharp brakes? - skidpan

A vented disc is fitted to high performance cars to improve braking from high speeds/high brake temps.

There is more to upgrading to them than simply bolting them on. You would need all the fitting hardware and matching callipers. In town where you teach they would be no advantage.

But I thought you wanted to make the braking less good, vented discs would always be seen as an upgragde to improve stopping power.

Now here is a trick. When I was competing we always used the highest performance pads we could get (for obvious reasons) but sometimes this could result in the rear of the car being overbraked (especially when the brakes were hot), the result of this being locked rears and the car disapearing off the track backwards. Some classes allowed bias pedal boxes, some allowed a valve to reduce the pressure to the rear brakes (my class did) but production classes allowed neither. A trick that many used was to saw away friction material (to reduce the contact area) until the braking balance was as required. Obviously less efficient pads may have helped but using different pad material on the rear with different heat capabilities would have its own problems.

Ford Fiesta 1.2 - How to fix Fiesta sharp brakes? - hardway

This brought back a memory,

Unlikely though it is this was a driving school Fiesta too!

Guy had been to Ford and had just about every part renewed,

Every part but the brake compensator.

This I renewed and he basically drove away then right back to my door grinning and thumbs up.

A happy chappy.

So I'd say it'd be worth a look at the compensator.

Ford Fiesta 1.2 - How to fix Fiesta sharp brakes? - gordonbennet

I've found Brembo pads to have a nice light smooth progressive feel to them, they remind me of Ferodo pads of 30 years hence, normally available at decent prices from ECP/CP4L.

Make sure the sliders are lubed correctly so there's nothing sticking.

Ford Fiesta 1.2 - How to fix Fiesta sharp brakes? - bathtub tom

I had this problem on an old BL car. It was due to the rear shoes 'snatching' when first applied and was particularly bad in damp weather. No amount of chamferring the leading edge could cure it.

Has the OP's car got rear drums?

Thanks for replies also suggestion of different pads . Yes it has shoes.

Ford Fiesta 1.2 - How to fix Fiesta sharp brakes? - bathtub tom

Yes it has shoes.

Then you should be able to determine which end is causing the problem. By gently applying the brakes, the discs will operate first because of the return springs on the rear shoes.

Ford Fiesta 1.2 - How to fix Fiesta sharp brakes? - bazza

Sounds more like a master cylinder or servo problem than pads alone, doesn't sound like normal brake behaviour.